Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

There are 31827 comments on the Dayton Daily News story from Feb 5, 2008, titled Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies. In it, Dayton Daily News reports that:

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Dayton Daily News.

questions more questions

Franklin, OH

#26082 Jul 25, 2013
Really Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
When you are guilty as charged, how else do you try to make your way out except for loopholes?
So Glad you feel the Constitution of the United States is a loophole...
Twp resident

Girard, OH

#26083 Jul 25, 2013
Common Sense wrote:
Last week The Springboro School Board voted unanimously to approve a two year contract for our teachers. I appreciate this and thank them for doing so. However, as is often the case, there is far more to the story. In the same special meeting where the contract was approved – a meeting in which public commentary is not required nor was offered – the same board unanimously approved to place a renewal levy on the ballot this fall, but at a far lower dollar amount. These votes were followed by a lengthy campaign speech by our board President in which she took complete credit for everything, gave no gratitude to the teachers or community, credited her budgeting policies with creating savings that are actually attributed to pipeline money that has nothing to do with her, and shamelessly pandered for votes and support from her radical supporters.
Make no mistake. The two unanimous votes happened that way for a reason. This majority of this board had no intention of negotiating with the teachers and was ready to push them to strike. The only way this was averted was through a deal. Agree to cut the levy by using speculative pipeline money from the additional pipeline that is being built and the teachers get their contract. This enabled the board President to avert a strike while also lowering taxes, pleasing her political base, but at what cost to our kids? What is particularly frustrating about this, beyond the shameless political pandering, is that our community was repeatedly told that there was no money available to negotiate with our teachers. The school board President is up for election this November, and with all of the negative press she has brought upon our community, she is hoping that perhaps she can simply buy back your votes with a meager tax cut – at the long term expense of the financial stability of our schools. Our community was dragged to the brink of crisis for what appears to be no reason other than political bullying, because according to the board now there is so much money that we can reduce the levy. This is yet another example of this board talking transparency, but not walking the talk. This is yet another reason why there is a complete and total lack of trust in the actions of this board, and why this levy reduction should be viewed with extreme skepticism.
The board admits that the amount of new pipeline money the district will receive is speculative. The current pipeline money is also not guaranteed, which amplifies the risk of lowering the renewal levy amount. To be clear, this is a renewal levy, not new money. The district has needs for books, infrastructure, transportation, and enhanced curriculum, which can not be adequately addressed with a cut in funding. The reduction in funding makes it impossible for the district to address any unforeseen expenses or to properly address future contracts. Our classes are too big, our electives have been cut, our staff is too thin, our buildings need serviced, and our expenditure per pupil is already far lower than comparable school districts. We do not have a spending problem, we have a planning problem.
It sounds great to save a few bucks from a lower school levy… until you realize that those dollars are an investment in our future. We have historically received great returns on our investment in education in Springboro. We spend less per pupil than all but 13 districts in the state, and still we are consistently recognized as a top performing district in the State. Yet, at some point the rubber band gets pulled too far and snaps. Once it snaps, putting it back together again is far more difficult than simply properly managing the tension you place on it to begin with.
patel...
stick a fork in it
Really

Maineville, OH

#26084 Jul 25, 2013
Well after looking into the BOE's $0 budget I think all of us should go to our employers and ask our salaries to be reduced the exact amount we put into our 401K plan and anything we set aside for savings every month. That way at the end of the year WE can follow the direction of the BOE and have a $0 budget. If it's good enough for our kid's then it should be good enough for us!

Really????
The Scoffter

Piqua, OH

#26085 Jul 25, 2013
lol..that rambling of Common Sense blubbering sounds like the Terrible Threesome of
Babb/Malone/Stuckey, who are "insanely" popular with the status quo Tax and Spend plan, for leaving our kid's future left behind in the 20th Century! Like that's going to happen!
go to negotiating seminar

Girard, OH

#26086 Jul 25, 2013
Really wrote:
Well after looking into the BOE's $0 budget I think all of us should go to our employers and ask our salaries to be reduced the exact amount we put into our 401K plan and anything we set aside for savings every month. That way at the end of the year WE can follow the direction of the BOE and have a $0 budget. If it's good enough for our kid's then it should be good enough for us!
Really????
Correction: that would be at the end of 2 years, not 1. Having a budget approaching $0 is the position the district wants to be in when it comes time to re-negotiate contracts. Ah, but you wouldn't know much about this kind of thing.
Yes Really

Piqua, OH

#26087 Jul 25, 2013
Really wrote:
Really????
Sounds Awesome! After looking into the all the great achievements accomplished by our children's first budget, in just 18 months, all I can say it WOW!... putting our children's safety needs first,(including new school buses) gives me a sense of trust, knowing every decision that is being made by this board is truly putting children's needs first! It's so exciting to look forward to the new school year, knowing our teachers are well paid and happy with a new contract, and all Springboro families are happy with a reduced renewal levy on the November ballot!
Yes Really! Life is good in Springboro!
Really Doug

Englewood, OH

#26088 Jul 25, 2013
questions more questions wrote:
<quoted text>
So Glad you feel the Constitution of the United States is a loophole...
Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

The only reason Doug Weidemann didn't get a speedy trial is because he kept stalling with motions and appeals until the Supreme Court of our state laughed his rear end right back to his house in Tamarack.

Doug knew the witnesses against him, he could have brought witnesses in his favor if there had been anyone willing to defend such a dirtbag, and he was represented by J. Pierre Tismo of Dyer Garofalo Mann & Schultz, the usual TV lawyers just looking for someone dumb enough to give them money to chase some wild idea.

Seems to have worked for this guy!

And to think, it would have all been averted if Doug had just kept enough money in his bank to cover his liabilities, or perhaps if he knew the account was a little thin, perhaps he could have abstained from writing those rubber checks!

But, of course...like most bankrupt tea partiers they must have their vices. For Kelly Kohls it was the all expenses vacation, for Doug Weidemann it is apparently a sporty airplane up at the Dayton South airport. Take a look for yourself:

http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/l...

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_...

But, why let financial responsibility get in the way of your play toys??! Yet these are the first people standing on their soap box to tell the rest of us how financially responsible our schools should be and how greedy we are for wanting a good education for our children.

Class act, Doug. Class act!
Really

Maineville, OH

#26089 Jul 25, 2013
go to negotiating seminar wrote:
<quoted text>
Correction: that would be at the end of 2 years, not 1. Having a budget approaching $0 is the position the district wants to be in when it comes time to re-negotiate contracts. Ah, but you wouldn't know much about this kind of thing.
No, I wouldn't. I belive in a safety net. How is it that people should save (even through social security & medicare) but the school shouldn't? Public services should have surpluses just in case. Look at the good it did for the Fire Department...

Really??
Really

Maineville, OH

#26090 Jul 25, 2013
Yes Really wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds Awesome! After looking into the all the great achievements accomplished by our children's first budget, in just 18 months, all I can say it WOW!... putting our children's safety needs first,(including new school buses) gives me a sense of trust, knowing every decision that is being made by this board is truly putting children's needs first! It's so exciting to look forward to the new school year, knowing our teachers are well paid and happy with a new contract, and all Springboro families are happy with a reduced renewal levy on the November ballot!
Yes Really! Life is good in Springboro!
Yes, but unfortunately to learn about creationism they will have to go to a church. Oh, and there's still that pay to play thing...

Really??
hypocrites and liars

Girard, OH

#26091 Jul 25, 2013
Really wrote:
If it's good enough for our kid's then it should be good enough for us!
For our kids' sake, I hope the improper punctuation (kid's) wasn't posted by a member of the coven of entitled Springboro teachers.
Really

Maineville, OH

#26092 Jul 25, 2013
hypocrites and liars wrote:
<quoted text>
For our kids' sake, I hope the improper punctuation (kid's) wasn't posted by a member of the coven of entitled Springboro teachers.
I guess having enough of an education to be not just employed but receiving (i before e except after c) a raise every year isn't enough. Wow...sounds like you should be hypocrites, liars and people of bad grammar.

Nice point, well thought out.

Really??
go to negotiating seminar

Girard, OH

#26093 Jul 25, 2013
Really wrote:
<quoted text>
No, I wouldn't. I belive in a safety net. How is it that people should save (even through social security & medicare) but the school shouldn't? Public services should have surpluses just in case. Look at the good it did for the Fire Department...
Really??
1) If you want to talk Clearcreek fire levy, you're in the wrong topix thread

2) I have a bridge I really need to sell you if you sincerely buy Wade and Kidd's arguments for a spring 2014 fire levy, particularly in light of the abject amount of CC township resources that continually go to waste.
Change I Can Believe In

Englewood, OH

#26094 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
2) I have a bridge I really need to sell you if you sincerely buy Wade and Kidd's arguments for a spring 2014 fire levy, particularly in light of the abject amount of CC township resources that continually go to waste.
Things won't change in the township until Cathy Anspaugh joins Kelly Kohls in the political unemployment line..
Really

Maineville, OH

#26095 Jul 25, 2013
<quoted text>
Actually the point is that they are not putting the fire levy up because the have an emergency fund (novel idea) and because that could be what the excess money from the renewal levy could be used for, it is quite on topic.

Really??
partisan

Bellbrook, OH

#26096 Jul 26, 2013
Change I Can Believe In wrote:
<quoted text>
Things won't change in the township until Cathy Anspaugh joins Kelly Kohls in the political unemployment line..
Wade showed his commitment to the fire levy by backing down ? forget the huge surplus of cash in the township, which was there the first time he and gabbard tried to push the levy in our faces. It's because wade is running for re-election...what a fraud wade is...along with the rest of his goons.
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26097 Jul 26, 2013
Really Doug wrote:
<quoted text>
Sixth Amendment to the United States Constitution
In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defense.

The only reason Doug Weidemann didn't get a speedy trial is because he kept stalling with motions and appeals until the Supreme Court of our state laughed his rear end right back to his house in Tamarack.
Doug knew the witnesses against him, he could have brought witnesses in his favor if there had been anyone willing to defend such a dirtbag, and he was represented by J. Pierre Tismo of Dyer Garofalo Mann & Schultz, the usual TV lawyers just looking for someone dumb enough to give them money to chase some wild idea.
Seems to have worked for this guy!
And to think, it would have all been averted if Doug had just kept enough money in his bank to cover his liabilities, or perhaps if he knew the account was a little thin, perhaps he could have abstained from writing those rubber checks!
But, of course...like most bankrupt tea partiers they must have their vices. For Kelly Kohls it was the all expenses vacation, for Doug Weidemann it is apparently a sporty airplane up at the Dayton South airport. Take a look for yourself:
http://www.airport-data.com/images/aircraft/l...
http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_...
But, why let financial responsibility get in the way of your play toys??! Yet these are the first people standing on their soap box to tell the rest of us how financially responsible our schools should be and how greedy we are for wanting a good education for our children.
Class act, Doug. Class act!
Wow that seems all so harsh and all so mischaracterized and quite envious all in rolled into one post. "Really" seems to hold an inordinate amount of hostility and a loose hold of the facts.

Yes, the case was continually continued, but not at my insistence.

The bank was less than willing to let go of the surveillance tape of the incident. The banks security department in Findlay, OH reviewed the tape and decided this was not good for the bank then spent 5 months stalling before finally surrendering the tape.

The number of continuances granted to the bank were for things like really important bank training that the complaining witness absolutely had to attend, that the security department had not yet been able to view the tape so they needed more time, Mr. Kirby forgot or decided regardless that it was vacation time for one scheduled date.

At no time during the proceedings did we ever request a continuance, not during the first time they tried to try this with Mr. Kirby as ringmaster, or in the second time they attempted to try it in Judge Heath's court.

In the second trial in Warren County court I asked for a jury trial, Judge Heath instead put us on a standing monthly continuance program of status conferences with each sides lawyers. The purpose of the status conference was to discuss a settlement to the case. Each month he would offer to dismiss the case if I signed an agreement to release everyone from liability in the case. Each month we would ask that a trial date be set, Judge Heath would instead order another status conference.
After 12 months of this we asked the case be dismissed on the grounds our right to a speedy trial had been violated.

Neither I, nor the complaining witness, ever were afforded the opportunity to testify in court.

The 6th amendment is in place to keep people from being held in legal limbo by courts.

Are you arguing that principle is not important?
Performance Review

Piqua, OH

#26098 Jul 26, 2013
At last night’s school board meeting, Springboro voters were presented with two very distinctly different paths to travel for our children’s future.

Thumbs Up to our school superintendent, Mr. Petrey, and our school board president, Mrs. Kohls, for lifting the bar of common decency in public discourse, and warmly inviting our neighbors for hostility to join with the SEA/BOE celebration of our community wide success of Increased Pay for our hard-working teachers and Levy Reduction for our hard-working taxpaying homeowners! Special Thanks to our team of board representatives for their uncommonly good sense of voting unanimously in fairness to all!

School district voters will remember in November to vote only for school board candidates who have earned our trust through educating Springboro that Children
First budgeting works! We Are Successful! Who will stand up for Children’s First Budget at the polls in November? School district voters are energized and activated to go to work for our children’s future by voting for fiscal responsibility school board candidates only, and for renewal levy only IF we can trust the school board candidates with our hard earned money!

Thumbs Down to our Neighbors for Springboro schools who testified of their determination to continue their war of words attacking our community of voters, as a whole, with their Babb/Malone/Stuckey for Increased Taxes school board candidate campaign! Beware NFSS – No More Money for your “common sense status quo!”
questions more questions

Franklin, OH

#26099 Jul 26, 2013
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow that seems all so harsh and all so mischaracterized and quite envious all in rolled into one post. "Really" seems to hold an inordinate amount of hostility and a loose hold of the facts.
Yes, the case was continually continued, but not at my insistence.
The bank was less than willing to let go of the surveillance tape of the incident. The banks security department in Findlay, OH reviewed the tape and decided this was not good for the bank then spent 5 months stalling before finally surrendering the tape.
The number of continuances granted to the bank were for things like really important bank training that the complaining witness absolutely had to attend, that the security department had not yet been able to view the tape so they needed more time, Mr. Kirby forgot or decided regardless that it was vacation time for one scheduled date.
At no time during the proceedings did we ever request a continuance, not during the first time they tried to try this with Mr. Kirby as ringmaster, or in the second time they attempted to try it in Judge Heath's court.
In the second trial in Warren County court I asked for a jury trial, Judge Heath instead put us on a standing monthly continuance program of status conferences with each sides lawyers. The purpose of the status conference was to discuss a settlement to the case. Each month he would offer to dismiss the case if I signed an agreement to release everyone from liability in the case. Each month we would ask that a trial date be set, Judge Heath would instead order another status conference.
After 12 months of this we asked the case be dismissed on the grounds our right to a speedy trial had been violated.
Neither I, nor the complaining witness, ever were afforded the opportunity to testify in court.
The 6th amendment is in place to keep people from being held in legal limbo by courts.
Are you arguing that principle is not important?
Well Doug you beat me to it! this " person" of many monikers does play fast and loose with the facts. I had a lengthy post ready to rip them for playing fast and loose with the facts ( using his links to the actual cases provided). The poster also combined your civil case where the State Supreme court ruled with the criminal case. I also did not find the references to the courts laughter in the decision. i may have missed the laughter references in the decision though ( I will reread the decision looking for laughter comments or emoticons signifying laughter).They continue to call you a criminal even though you were not convicted (unless there are cases other than the ones he has cited). They obviously have a huge problem with the Constitution. Doesn't like the 6th amendment, but I bet they would invoke it if it they had the opportunity. The poster also does not seem to like the First Amendment although they exercise it quite a bit on Topix.I say this because of the attack on the law firm you retained was based on the fact that they advertise.The poster ignores the Supreme Court decision that law firms have a First Amendment right to advertise. But the poster does not stop there, they go on to attack this law firm about how they are " the usual TV lawyers just looking for someone dumb enough to give them money to chase some wild idea." Does the poster realize that he just attacked a law firms ethics? They also attacked the law firms clients. Does this poster not realize that his first amendment rights do have limits, even on a message board?
Doug Wiedeman

Cleveland, OH

#26100 Jul 26, 2013
All the union wishes to accomplish is the silencing of person who presents facts that are inconvenient to the union's position.

So let us ask one more time for a response on the type of education the children are receiving and the taxpayers are funding.

ACT scores 2009 - 2011
Scale.....English.......Math.. ........Reading........Science .....Scaled Score
36.......... 75.......... 60..........38-40.......... 40..........36
35........73-74........58-59.. ........37..........none...... ....35
34........71-72........56-57.. ........36..........39........ ..34
33........70..........55...... ....35..........none.......... 33
32........ 69..........54..........34.... ......38..........32
31.........68..........52-53.. ........none.........none..... .....31
30........ 67..........50-51..........33. .........37..........30
29........65-66.....48-49..... .....32..........36..........2 9
28........64 ..........46-47..........30-31 ..........35..........28
27........62-63.........43-45. .........29..........34....... ...27
26........60-61.........41-42. ........28..........32-33..... ....26
25........57-59.........39-40. ........27..........30-31..... ....25
24........55-56.........37-38. ........26..........29........ ..24
23........53-54.........35-36. .........25..........27-28.... ....23
22........50-52.........33-34. .........24..........25-26.... ....22
21........47-49.........31-32. .........23..........23-24.... ....21
20........44-46.........30.... ......22..........21-22....... .20
19........42-43.........27-29. .........21..........18-20.... ....19
18........39-41.........27-26. .........20..........16-17.... ....18
17........37-38.........22-24. .........19..........14-15.... ....17
16........34-36.........18-21. .......17-18..........13...... ....16
15.........30-33........15-17. .......16..........12......... .15
(the numbers keep going down to zero, if you are interested see the scale at the link below)

http://www.olchs.org/assets/documents/RAW%20S ...

The numbers under the various subjects are the number of questions answered correctly for each subject

Base upon our ACT result posted on line on our transparency project at Springboro.org

For 2011 our ACT averages for each sujbect

English.....24.5 Scaled Score..... answers correct.....56/70 = 80%

Math........24.3 Scaled Score.......answers correct.....37/60 = 62%

Reading...24.6 Scaled Score.......answers correct.....26/40 = 65%

Science....24.0 Scaled Score.......answers correct.....29/40 = 73%

These are just the kids who took the ACT, this does not take into account those children who did not take the test.

Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)

According to Mr. Malone's scale

English 80% solid C

Math 62% high F

Reading 65% low D

Science 73% high D

Below are the percentages Mr. Malone assigned to the letter grades received by students involved in the Post Secondary Education Option (PSEO) when he figured the student's Grade Point Average (GPA) and consequent class ranking.

PSEO is a program whereby students leave the high school to attend college courses at local universities. The students earn college credit for classes they take while the school district pays for the tuition if the student passes.
A child without too much effort could have a semester of college completed before they set foot on a college campus.

F.....Below 62.99% correct answers

D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers

C......75%- 84.99% correct answers

B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers

A..... 93% correct answers and above

If the scale is good enough for kids taking college courses, it's good enough for the rest of the student population as well.
Moving On

Girard, OH

#26101 Jul 26, 2013
It is time to move along. According to the large group of current and past alums, the current school staff and the REAL REPUBLICANS, NOT THE CRAZY TEA BAGGERS, Ms. Kohls will be leaving the district.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Today's Leon Harrison Quotation 9 hr Fan of Leon The Man 14
Pardon us flyover folks... 11 hr The Duke of Hazard 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 12 hr TOASTER 19,919
Most black suburbanites act civilized 12 hr The Duke of Hazard 5
Report Smoking Violations (May '10) 13 hr Smokersstink 16
The wonderful welfare world of the ODJFS center... 20 hr FOVR 4
Melinda Kay horne (Mar '11) Fri trustnoone 5
More from around the web

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]