Our recommendation: Springboro voters should say 'yes' the first time to school levies

Feb 5, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Dayton Daily News

Recommended local sites More... UD sports info, pictures and discussions Are you a UD sports fan? Whether you like basketball, volleyball, soccer, men's or women's teams -- Doesn't matter -- this site is for ... via Dayton Daily News

Comments
25,181 - 25,200 of 31,127 Comments Last updated 3 hrs ago
The SEAs kool aid roster

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

Dear Board of Education Members,

I am asking, as a taxpayer, parent and community member, for your to offer a fair contract with our dedicated teachers and settle immediately. I am aware of a contract that you are about to enter into with Huffmaster, which tells me you have not been negotiating with open minds or in good faith. Our teachers are just like all of us and deserve fair pay and a fair contract, after several years of going without an increase. Their dedication to our children's success and the success of our community should be reflected in the way our school board treats them.

Once again, I am asking that you settle with our teachers and lead our community and show the same respect for our teachers, that you request from all of us.

Sincerely,
Lynn Greenberg
The SEAs kool aid roster

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

I want my voice to be heard in favor of a fair contract for Springboro teachers. I don't want to see our dedicated, passionate, excellent, teachers and administrators, with years of experience, who developed an award winning school district, EXCELLENCE WITH DISTINCTION, walk away from a fine community and supportive parents due to lack of support from the school board. Your recent actions seem very heavy handed and appear much more like a dictatorship than a democracy. I don't believe your actions represent the wishes/direction the majority in the school district nor do I think you are acting in our best interest.
Our teachers deserve a fair contract and I want to see the board work harder to negotiate fairly and in good faith.
Settle now.

Jackie D'Aurora
8714 Stonehill Ct.
Springboro, OH 45066
The SEAs kool aid roster

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 10, 2013

Judged:

Good Afternoon,

I can't believe your latest scheme to ruin this school district. Give the teachers a fair raise. There is not one of you who would work in your real world jobs 3 years without a raise so why do you expect our hard working teachers to? Any success that this school district has had in the last few years,(despite your efforts to destroy it) have been solely due to the teachers and the school level administrations. I can't wait until election time so I can vote you people out of office. I am going to talk to all my Republican and Democratic buddies too because this is ridiculous.

At least you have succeeded in two things. You have gotten people involved in the School System at a District level to combat the idiocy that you propose. You have also succeeded in solidifying the population in voting you out.

Smile,
Lisa Rose-Schell, registered voter
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

The SEAs kool aid roster wrote:
I want my voice to be heard in favor of a fair contract for Springboro teachers. I don't want to see our dedicated, passionate, excellent, teachers and administrators, with years of experience, who developed an award winning school district, EXCELLENCE WITH DISTINCTION, walk away from a fine community and supportive parents due to lack of support from the school board. Your recent actions seem very heavy handed and appear much more like a dictatorship than a democracy. I don't believe your actions represent the wishes/direction the majority in the school district nor do I think you are acting in our best interest.
Our teachers deserve a fair contract and I want to see the board work harder to negotiate fairly and in good faith.
Settle now.
Jackie D'Aurora
8714 Stonehill Ct.
Springboro, OH 45066
Jackie,

What is "FAIR"? Would you please share your definition of what you mean by "FAIR"?

I believe we all want the same thing, a real education where our students learn enough to do better than pass just 42% of the questions on the Ohio Graduation Test. I think that most taxpayers in this community have much higher levels of expectation than that level demonstrates.

While your concern for the welfare of our teachers is most likely heart felt, where is the same concern for the 2000 plus children in this district who are not getting the education we the taxpayers are funding? Where is the activism for the children who fall further and further behind each year in a system that masks that failure with euphemisms like Proficient on state achievement tests?

If we don't care, who will?

Doug Wiedeman
330 Wellington Way
Springboro, OH 45066
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

The SEAs kool aid roster wrote:
Good Afternoon,
I can't believe your latest scheme to ruin this school district. Give the teachers a fair raise. There is not one of you who would work in your real world jobs 3 years without a raise so why do you expect our hard working teachers to? Any success that this school district has had in the last few years,(despite your efforts to destroy it) have been solely due to the teachers and the school level administrations. I can't wait until election time so I can vote you people out of office. I am going to talk to all my Republican and Democratic buddies too because this is ridiculous.
At least you have succeeded in two things. You have gotten people involved in the School System at a District level to combat the idiocy that you propose. You have also succeeded in solidifying the population in voting you out.
Smile,
Lisa Rose-Schell, registered voter
Lisa,

Most raises parsed out in the private sector are based primarily on the individual's value to the employing entity. Such things as time in service, attitude, attendance, and degree of difficulty of task required also factor into the final equation along with a host of other particulars for a given job. The present and future health of the employer is also taken into account to ensure the long term viability and sustainability of that employer.

I note in your plea for "fairness" for the teachers a lack of concern for 2000 plus children in our district that are not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding. You appear to be taken with the euphemisms surrounding the state achievement tests. The largest component of that rating is the number of children you can get to the Proficient rating on the state achievement assessments. The problem with that is the bar for proficiency is set laughably low.

Let the readers decide if such "achievement" is really excellent with distinction.

8th Grade 2011-2012 Ohio Achievement Assessment Tests Results.
Math .......50 possible points on the test
State Rating System and distribution of students for the 8th grade
Limited.......... 3 Students
Limited.......... 20% was the Average score for this group
Limited..........definition--0 -10 correct answers =(0-20% correct)
Basic..........25 Students
Basic ..........27% was the Average score for this group
Basic..........definition--11- 15 correct answers =(22-30% correct)
Proficient........174 Students
Proficient........47% was the Average score for this group
Proficient.........definition- -16-29 correct answers =(32-58% correct)
Accelerated.....159 Students
Accelerated.....67% was the Average score for this group
Accelerated.....definition--30 -36 correct answers =(60-72% correct)
Advanced........77 Students
Advanced........85% was the Average score for this group
Advanced........definition--37 -50 correct answers =(74-100% correct)

Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
F.....Below 62.99% correct answers.......239 Students
Percentage of Students.....55% receiving F

D..... 63%- 74.99% correct answers......108 Students
Percentage of Students.....25% receiving D

C......75%- 84.99% correct answers........49 Students
Percentage of Students.....11% receiving C

B..... 85%- 92.99% correct answers........36 Students
Percentage of Students.....8% receiving B

A..... 93% correct answers and above.....6 Students
Percentage of Students.....1% receiving A
Is this the level of achievement to which we wish to aspire in Springboro?
Is this the best we are capable of given our resources?
Should we continue to allow the schools and the state to hide behind euphemisms rather than actual achievement?
Demand better, our children and taxpayers deserve a real return on our investment in our schools.

Doug Wiedeman
330 Wellington Way
Springboro, OH 45066
wasting taxpayers money

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Mr.Wiedeman,

Please read the following article and tell me what excuse you have for wasting the taxpayers money on this! Couldn't the BOE used this money to put to the teachers requests in negotiations? Looks to me like another example of the greediness/egotistical thinking of this Board who aren't in it for our children but for their own personal agendas. November can't come quick enough because this Board is digging their own hole. This community has had enough.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/153034696/Springbor...
Doug Wiedeman wrote:
<quoted text>
Lisa,
Most raises parsed out in the private sector are based primarily on the individual's value to the employing entity. Such things as time in service, attitude, attendance, and degree of difficulty of task required also factor into the final equation along with a host of other particulars for a given job. The present and future health of the employer is also taken into account to ensure the long term viability and sustainability of that employer.
I note in your plea for "fairness" for the teachers a lack of concern for 2000 plus children in our district that are not receiving the education the taxpayers are funding. You appear to be taken with the euphemisms surrounding the state achievement tests. The largest component of that rating is the number of children you can get to the Proficient rating on the state achievement assessments. The problem with that is the bar for proficiency is set laughably low.
Let the readers decide if such "achievement" is really excellent with distinction.
Applying Mr. Malone's same grading system used for assigning percentages to grades earned in the college credit program (PSEO)
Should we continue to allow the schools and the state to hide behind euphemisms rather than actual achievement?
Demand better, our children and taxpayers deserve a real return on our investment in our schools.
Doug Wiedeman
330 Wellington Way
Springboro, OH 45066
outsider

Dayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

You know, the numbers don't mean what some of you think they mean. Test that are designed to measure proficiency across a large range as well as beyond what should be taught will have numbers that don't work with the normal A-B-C-D-F scale. They are not meant to.

My oldest child took a number of test in 2nd grade that were actually 3rd grade test because he had already maxed out the 2nd grade scores. Sometimes he got 10/30 on the 3rd grade test. Some of you would believe that to be an F and would say that it is a failure.

The way such testing works is to set it such that it would be expected that a post high school education would be the bar for a perfect score, with questions above and beyond what should be taught. In this way, proficient is what the target is, and would be the A range. The two levels above that mean that students are learning more than is required, and doing better than the state's goals.

The point is, these test are not written for the level they are given, but beyond that. I have no doubt my second grader could have passed the 3rd grade test last year. I wouldn't expect him to get advanced on the 3rd grade test, but he would certainly pass it.
Question Policy

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

"Lisa,
Doug Wiedeman
330 Wellington Way
Springboro, OH 45066"

When is this argument that our schools are failing going to go away????? This is a standardized test! It is set up so the "average student" answers half the questions correctly. If this were not the case, how could a student make more than a year's progress in one year? This continual posting of misleading information is harmful and I have grown weary of seeing this post over and over and over and over again - it is fueling the myth that our schools are failing. Is there room for improvement? Of course! Are we failing? Absolutely not!
Heart Burn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

wasting taxpayers money wrote:
Mr.Wiedeman,
Please read the following article and tell me what excuse you have for wasting the taxpayers money on this! Couldn't the BOE used this money to put to the teachers requests in negotiations? Looks to me like another example of the greediness/egotistical thinking of this Board who aren't in it for our children but for their own personal agendas. November can't come quick enough because this Board is digging their own hole. This community has had enough.
<quoted text>
I think the point you may be missing in your zeal to use buzz words such as greedy, egotistical, and personal agendas amongst others to describe this BOE is that the community had had enough of the SEA/Baker BOE that never met a levy they didn't like. The Trifiros, Colstons, Thomsens, et al that never did their homework, never looked at ways to budget responsibly, they simply told us we were running over a financial cliff if we didn't pay more and more in property taxes to be able to give yearly out of touch raises to teachers, to give generous step raises, to pay 90% of their health care benefits while paying 35% of our own. And their solutions to these failed levy requests to cut services to the kids, require high pay to play fees.

THAT is what this community has had enough of and finally voted in BOE members that are willing to do their homework, ask the hard questions, come up with responsible budgets, be responsible to not just the kids, staff, but to the community as a whole.

And thank goodness this BOE has the backbone to take the crap thrown at them by a very small, but loud minority of this community and union outsiders with very personal agendas.

But back to the question Mr Weideman asked:

What is a fair contract?

And

What is unfair about the contract the BOE has offered?

Please be specific.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Mr.Wiedeman,
<quoted text>
It would be irresponsible to not consider all possible outcomes and develop contingency plans should they be required.

This is a simple matter of performing unpleasant duties while in office. To shirk from them would not be in the best interest of any parties involved.

It would be a pity to see money spent in this fashion, but if the teachers feel that there is no other alternative and their working and pay conditions are too onerous a burden to bear any longer, then it is up to the teachers to decide what is in their best interest.

It is incumbent upon the school board to prepare for as many possible outcomes as will be evident or feasible.

Money lost in a strike is never made up by anyone, it and the time wasted on it are gone forever.

Politicizing this folly at the expense of our children, parents, taxpayers, and staff will be an even greater tragedy.

Remember that retirees will still be receiving their checks while those on the picket line go without an income.

How many have the financial reserves and credit to go two or three months without a paycheck?

And how long will it take to dig yourself out of a financial hole that large? Months? Years?

In the best of circumstances for the teachers an new union friendly board could be elected, then the union could negotiate with union members. While that would be great for the union, it would be disaster for the community wallet.

And there is no guarantee that your cause will prevail at the polls, the community may not see you in the same light come election day, they may opt for civilian control of our schools.

These were just some musings of mine and reflect only my opinion and not the owners of this station or blog.
Doug Wiedeman

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

outsider wrote:
You know, the numbers don't mean what some of you think they mean. Test that are designed to measure proficiency across a large range as well as beyond what should be taught will have numbers that don't work with the normal A-B-C-D-F scale. They are not meant to.
My oldest child took a number of test in 2nd grade that were actually 3rd grade test because he had already maxed out the 2nd grade scores. Sometimes he got 10/30 on the 3rd grade test. Some of you would believe that to be an F and would say that it is a failure.
The way such testing works is to set it such that it would be expected that a post high school education would be the bar for a perfect score, with questions above and beyond what should be taught. In this way, proficient is what the target is, and would be the A range. The two levels above that mean that students are learning more than is required, and doing better than the state's goals.
The point is, these test are not written for the level they are given, but beyond that. I have no doubt my second grader could have passed the 3rd grade test last year. I wouldn't expect him to get advanced on the 3rd grade test, but he would certainly pass it.
While your daughter did remarkably at the second grade level, the third grade test demonstrated she did not possess the knowledge to pass that test.

Sample tests are all on line on the Ohio Department of Education website, see for yourself the degree of difficulty these tests possess.

http://education.ohio.gov/Topics/Testing/Test...
check up from the neck up

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Mr.Wiedeman,
<quoted text>
Obviously, you have little to no clue about Doug's sensible line of logic because you've spent your career working in public service Land of Oz.

Re: Your comment - "This community has had enough"
Please speak for yourself! You must always remember that SENSIBLE people in the Boro are heard through their ballots because they don't wish to waste time or energy being blowhards.

Loveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

A friend of mine told me about this website. I have to say it is great entertainment. I have to admit, I actually voted for Kelly because I agreed with some of her issues. I am retired and all of my children are out of the house. I have to say I am worried about the direction this school board is taking our community. I have friends in other states who have seen the embarrassment this town is taking due to the antics of this school board. I am no longer proud to say I live in Springboro Ohio. I can tell you I WILL NOT be voting for Kelly. We need to get honest trust worthy people on this board who will bring back the community I moved to 22 years ago. I am a SENSIBlE person in the Boro who can honestly say being retired, I have better things to do than fight and call people names on this site. When people have to resort to these actions, it only shows how worried and insecure you are in your position. Maybe your bosses should start monitoring the amount of time you spend on this site instead of doing your job. Residents of the BORO will be heard through the ballots in November and we WILL have change to our school board. And then our new school board will restore the Springboro community name.
Reality Bytes

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Heart Burn wrote:
<quoted text>
I think the point you may be missing in your zeal to use buzz words such as greedy, egotistical, and personal agendas amongst others to describe this BOE is that the community had had enough of the SEA/Baker BOE that never met a levy they didn't like. The Trifiros, Colstons, Thomsens, et al that never did their homework, never looked at ways to budget responsibly, they simply told us we were running over a financial cliff if we didn't pay more and more in property taxes to be able to give yearly out of touch raises to teachers, to give generous step raises, to pay 90% of their health care benefits while paying 35% of our own. And their solutions to these failed levy requests to cut services to the kids, require high pay to play fees.
THAT is what this community has had enough of and finally voted in BOE members that are willing to do their homework, ask the hard questions, come up with responsible budgets, be responsible to not just the kids, staff, but to the community as a whole.
And thank goodness this BOE has the backbone to take the crap thrown at them by a very small, but loud minority of this community and union outsiders with very personal agendas.
But back to the question Mr Weideman asked:
What is a fair contract?
And
What is unfair about the contract the BOE has offered?
Please be specific.
This argument between the BOE and the SEA, questioning which employment contract is fair has been beaten to death and already buried in the legalities of Unionism, which is the false religion legally imposed by our State collective bargaining rights, upon
free citizens who have a right to work and enjoy the fruits of their labor, without being taxed by education gods of unionism.
Now the urgency of the argument is which vote "yes" or "no"
vote to strike or not to strike will the Five elected officials of the BOE cast?

We see posted on this blog urgent and passionate pleas from parents to continue status quo worship of our failed Union First agenda, reinstating Ron Malone and reversing our school district finances to the way they were in 2008, before Kelly Kohls was elected as board representative. Kelly Kohls is the first board member to follow our board policy and by-laws by reminding the pro-union board members: I think we should listen to what the taxpayers are telling us. Wow! Now thatís a radical elected official that Unionism must purge out of their sacred taxpayer-funded schools!

Our school board and school district leaders have accomplished so many good things for our children's classroom education; but within the legalized false "state" religion of Unionism, education is not about the children first; but all about Money and Power, and who has control of both. And we have a mighty force of union bully power attacking our children first and our Springboro taxpayers property rights; they are skilled at bullying and confrontation and they have the news media enlisted in their union army, marching to destroy everything good that has been accomplished since last 2008 renewal levy; vowing to take our school district finances right back to business as usual.

But where is the outrage of conservative parents who oppose this liberal OEA unionism indoctrinating the minds of our children to fight for "political collective liberty" instead of "individual freedom of fiscal responsibility? Will we hear from the parents
who vote YES for the BOE to strike....
or will the demands of the education gods of unionism for personal sacrifice rally uncontested, by the union masters: Give us the head of board member/Springboro parent, Kelly Kohls! It would be a sin for her to be re-elected because of her "fiscal responsibility" financial beliefs!
survival of the fittest

Springboro, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

outsider wrote:
Answer me this....Why shouldn't OAA/OGT test scores be set on a A-B-C-D-F scale? Did liberal educators in Ohio set OAA up this way so that our childrens' egos may not be so easily bruised? Lord knows if...(whoops, scratch that!)... no teacher or administrator in our politically-correct public school system DARES to hurt the "feelings" of li'l Brittney, Emily, Brendan or Erik ! OH MY!!This would mean they would have to file a "bullying report" on themselves!

For almost three decades now America's students have been collectively getting their butts kicked by a huge chunk of their global peers. Do our international global competitors use senseless assessment systems such what is used in Ohio Achievement Assessment? Of course not! Generally, they are ranked directly in the order of their achievement level amongst their peers, ON A GRADE SCALE.

When our children graduate from high school and college, they're quickly thrust into the rat race commonly known as "making a living". When they they get there, they begin to realize they need to make a choice - whether consciously or not - to work hard to become financially successful, or to waltz through life not caring that they are a perpetual dependent on the US government (us taxpayers) for some or for possibly all of their sustenance.

Let's take this to our back yard again. For years, Coffman Y has perennially sponsored stupid S.A.Y. sports programs. Yeah, it's great exercise, but that's about it. What Coffman Y is essentially doing is teaching our kids that it's OK to go out into life and not have to keep score.(Just like OAA / OGT exam scores.) Whether it's teachers or SAY coaches, someone's always going to be there with a safety net to protect Emily & Brendan from the "terrible bully" otherwise known as "competition". And this is precisely the reason why most of these S.A.Y. kids get trampled under foot when they try out for club leagues or high school varsity. And this is why many within Boro's most recent crop of EXCELLENT WITH DISTINCTION graduates will very soon be lining up for REMEDIAL CLASSES before they can begin their respective college major!
Say It Again

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Get Real wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no such curriculum being sponsored.
But have you taken a look at the high schools required reading list of books?
On to current negotiations issues:
How do Springboro Education Association demands of 85/15 compensation benefits "put our children first?"
Our Board of Education's fair and generous offer of employment
to the SEA teachers is "putting our children first."
Our Springboro Education Association is putting their own greed first; proving that Money is the only reason they are teaching;
and threatening to bring harm if their money demands aren't met.
We can do better than that for our children; but wonder if our teachers can do better for themselves by striking against Springboro taxpayers?
It will be interesting to see how our schools can still be great with no union politics in our kid's classrooms. Think of the money our district will save by avoiding all these union lawsuits, when we no longer have union teachers in every classroom.
The SEA doesn't care about our children and they refuse to accept a fair and generous employment contract; so guess the next step for the union is just pack up and head out of town.
If wishes could come true, and the SEA decides to walk out on our children; does anybody know what the next legal step is to be taken? Are the SEA teachers still considered "employed" by the school district? Will the new teachers, school staff, and students have increased police protection to keep the union bullies from advancing their war of words into actions of physical violence?
Do you think that Springboro voters are educated, as to the consequences of circumstances that will be the fallout of the SEA decision to strike? Are Springboro voters educated as to the drastic financial consequenceses that we can expect if the Board accepts the terms of the SEA, in order to settle the contract with the union with no confrontations? This pro-longed "indecision" of strike or not strike of the union is the emotional blackmailing for dollars that is causing harm to our school district and community. Whatever decision the union makes, the union bears all responsibility for greedily caring only for money, and willing to stomp on our children's backs to get that money.
Why would we want educators, of any degree, to teach our children in our good schools? As parents, shouldn't we demand only the best "intent" from teachers in our children's classrooms -- their love of learning and their burning desire to instill that love of learning in their students minds and actions?
Just Remember

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

newbie wrote:
A friend of mine told me about this website. I have to say it is great entertainment. I have to admit, I actually voted for Kelly because I agreed with some of her issues. I am retired and all of my children are out of the house. I have to say I am worried about the direction this school board is taking our community. I have friends in other states who have seen the embarrassment this town is taking due to the antics of this school board. I am no longer proud to say I live in Springboro Ohio. I can tell you I WILL NOT be voting for Kelly. We need to get honest trust worthy people on this board who will bring back the community I moved to 22 years ago. I am a SENSIBlE person in the Boro who can honestly say being retired, I have better things to do than fight and call people names on this site. When people have to resort to these actions, it only shows how worried and insecure you are in your position. Maybe your bosses should start monitoring the amount of time you spend on this site instead of doing your job. Residents of the BORO will be heard through the ballots in November and we WILL have change to our school board. And then our new school board will restore the Springboro community name.
Give It Up Retired Teacher! For S-U-R-E your lecture on "better things" would be your mean-spirited, indecent, non-professional bully-campaign against Springboro parent Kelly Kohls!
Elections come and go, but good neighbors who are good leaders like Kelly Kohls, are always winners!
Let's Bring it on in November for your "reinstate Ron Malone" as bully-in-chief in the school board room! Just Remember who will be on the "other side" interrogating, "which one of you is lying?"...the old outdated retired has been a high school principal OR the old outdated retired has been a teacher?" What progress is that for all you "tunnel vision" progressive leaders of our children's future?
Like it or not

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Say It Again wrote:
<quoted text>
If wishes could come true, and the SEA decides to walk out on our children; does anybody know what the next legal step is to be taken? Are the SEA teachers still considered "employed" by the school district? Will the new teachers, school staff, and students have increased police protection to keep the union bullies from advancing their war of words into actions of physical violence?
Do you think that Springboro voters are educated, as to the consequences of circumstances that will be the fallout of the SEA decision to strike? Are Springboro voters educated as to the drastic financial consequenceses that we can expect if the Board accepts the terms of the SEA, in order to settle the contract with the union with no confrontations? This pro-longed "indecision" of strike or not strike of the union is the emotional blackmailing for dollars that is causing harm to our school district and community. Whatever decision the union makes, the union bears all responsibility for greedily caring only for money, and willing to stomp on our children's backs to get that money.
Why would we want educators, of any degree, to teach our children in our good schools? As parents, shouldn't we demand only the best "intent" from teachers in our children's classrooms -- their love of learning and their burning desire to instill that love of learning in their students minds and actions?
You are ridiculous, because teachers love to teach they should not expect any compensation for it or shouldn't want to earn more money? Do you work at a job just for the love of the job and don't care about your compensation?

Every taxpayer on this site is just as greedy because they want to keep their money and not pay additional money for a service that is being provided by the district - education. When the gas prices raise, you don't like it but you pay more, when the cost of food raises, you don't like it but you pay more, but for some reason you think that because a teacher is a public servant, they don't have bills just like you, they don't have a family to feed just like you. Teachers are performing a job and they get paid for that job. Like it or not, they also deserve to get a raise once in a while - JUST LIKE YOU!

If you are going to blame someone for this current situation then you should look to the BOE. They had the opportunity to include something for the teachers within their budget but chose not to. Now they are blaming the teachers for wanting more money when anyone looking at the finances of this district could see that after five years the teachers were going to eventually look elsewhere for employment or request more money here.

And lastly, if there is room in the budget for a strike team like Huffmasters (cost to exceed $1 million probably in 1-2 weeks) then there is money for the teachers - very simple!
Responsible and Proud

Piqua, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

newbie wrote:
Just super of you to take "time out" of your better things to do, in order to just share your worst feelings about your neighbors, with whom you have lived among for 22 years. Do we hear applause applause for "newbie" on board with us today, and how about an AMEN from the brothers and sisters and their bosses at work, reading this blog, whose careers, no doubt will benefit professinally from newbie's insight into what our future will be.
Welcome Newbie! Your responsible and proud Springboro neighbors
(of all ages) can't help you with your loss of self-pride; but stick around and you may pick up some tips on how to celebrate your successes, as you grow older in age, without your hostile diminshment of the successes of others.
Heart Burn

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 11, 2013

Judged:

Like it or not wrote:
<quoted text>
You are ridiculous, because teachers love to teach they should not expect any compensation for it or shouldn't want to earn more money? Do you work at a job just for the love of the job and don't care about your compensation?
Every taxpayer on this site is just as greedy because they want to keep their money and not pay additional money for a service that is being provided by the district - education. When the gas prices raise, you don't like it but you pay more, when the cost of food raises, you don't like it but you pay more, but for some reason you think that because a teacher is a public servant, they don't have bills just like you, they don't have a family to feed just like you. Teachers are performing a job and they get paid for that job. Like it or not, they also deserve to get a raise once in a while - JUST LIKE YOU!
If you are going to blame someone for this current situation then you should look to the BOE. They had the opportunity to include something for the teachers within their budget but chose not to. Now they are blaming the teachers for wanting more money when anyone looking at the finances of this district could see that after five years the teachers were going to eventually look elsewhere for employment or request more money here.
And lastly, if there is room in the budget for a strike team like Huffmasters (cost to exceed $1 million probably in 1-2 weeks) then there is money for the teachers - very simple!
Very Simple...They are compensated for the service they provide. They are compensated quite well when all things are considered. They have an excellent benefit package, excellent work condidtions, excellent community support. Long lines of teachers wanting to work here... one is even suing to work here, so the claim they will go elsewhere is garbage.

The BOE has offered more in the way of compensation, more in the way of step raises (which, IMHO, should be done away with entirely...Who else get a raise for simply showing up next year?) And they azre being asked to pay just 20% of their onw health care coverage.

So to your point of wanting more...

what is fair?

What is Unfair about the BOE's offer?

One would think these should be simple questions to answer fo you.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
Xenia Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••