Police ID officer & victim in fatal s...

Police ID officer & victim in fatal shooting; No gun found at the scene

There are 47 comments on the WDTN Dayton story from May 6, 2008, titled Police ID officer & victim in fatal shooting; No gun found at the scene. In it, WDTN Dayton reports that:

Dayton police chief Richard Biehl identified the victim of Tuesday's fatal police shooting as 44-year-old Lary Labensky of Kettering.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WDTN Dayton.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Tim Grice

United States

#1 May 6, 2008
I knew larry for many years, he was never violent, but did make some bad decisions.This officer should not only be removed from the force, but prosecuted for murder.
randyp

Cincinnati, OH

#2 May 6, 2008
quit robbing stores and running from the police and this wont happen
randyp

Cincinnati, OH

#3 May 6, 2008
tim , your dude is on crack
Boro Guy

Miamisburg, OH

#4 May 6, 2008
Slow down Tim and don't jump to conclusions. The whole story hasn't come out yet. Even though he was 'unarmed' he was still behind the wheel of a 4,000lb car. Should the officer be prosecuted for murder if it comes out that larry was attempting to run him over?
Just a guy

United States

#5 May 6, 2008
Tim Grice wrote:
I knew larry for many years, he was never violent, but did make some bad decisions.This officer should not only be removed from the force, but prosecuted for murder.
Well his worst decision ever was trying to run over several officers that were in persuit of him. You can sit there and monday morning quarterback the situation all you want, but the bottom line is, the officer acted well within the bounds of his scope of duty and made the right decision. That officer saved the lives of other officers by ending the pursuit right there.
exactly

Cincinnati, OH

#6 May 6, 2008
try to kill a cop by trying to run him over after commiting two robberies that the robber implied he had a gun, and an a stolen car - i would hope the suspect would be put down so he cant terrorize people again and try to kill another cop or innocent bystander. Running from the cops - he did not care if he killed anyone in the process. If he killed a child during the pursuit, in Montgomery Count he would have maybe gotten six months in jail - and the family of the child could not have sued him for damages and their loss, he has no money. Justice done - great service to the public. Won't be clogging up our court system with his continuous criminal acts anymore. Glad the cop is home safe.
exactly

Cincinnati, OH

#7 May 6, 2008
Ditto on the crack comment. He would have eventually killed an innocent person.
Joseph Watson

Fairborn, OH

#8 May 7, 2008
Lary was a friend of mine and Iknew him very well. He may have been a criminal undoubtly but he was not violent and to hear tax paying citizens say that they have no problem with an unarmed man being shot multiple times and killed makes me sick to my stomach. The police are suppose to be upholding the law and protecting their jurisdictions citizens even the citizens who have broken the law. My friend was not killed He was murdered by an officer who had wrongfully killed an innocent bystander in another unrelated shooting several years ago the fact that these are the kind of cops we have working in our neighborhoods and that most people are willing to support a murderer just because he holds a badge is scary. Bottom line there is no way you can justify to me shooting an unarmed suspect not just once but several times.
A Voice of Reason

Jacksonville, FL

#9 May 7, 2008
Joseph Watson wrote:
Lary was a friend of mine and Iknew him very well. He may have been a criminal undoubtly but he was not violent and to hear tax paying citizens say that they have no problem with an unarmed man being shot multiple times and killed makes me sick to my stomach. The police are suppose to be upholding the law and protecting their jurisdictions citizens even the citizens who have broken the law. My friend was not killed He was murdered by an officer who had wrongfully killed an innocent bystander in another unrelated shooting several years ago the fact that these are the kind of cops we have working in our neighborhoods and that most people are willing to support a murderer just because he holds a badge is scary. Bottom line there is no way you can justify to me shooting an unarmed suspect not just once but several times.
Joseph-

I am sure that this man was a wonderful person and a good friend. This has nothing to do with that. When you are not responding to the commands of a police officer and are endangering the lives of other officers, you do what you need to do to protect yourself and others. I love how this crack addicted, thief who has a 22 YEAR HISTORY of violent crime (aggravated theft) and arrests is suddenly the victim. What a joke. Try being the officer who is trying to protect the people whose yards he was driving through.

On a second note, get your facts straight on the original shooting you idiot. That "innocent bystander" was in an apartment that somebody shot the officer POINT BLANK IN THE CHEST. If you are trying to uphold the law, I think that you have probable cause to pull and use your weapon once you have been shot IN THE CHEST.

Sorry for the loss of your friend but don't even think for a second he was an innocent bystander and the cop was a murderer. Pretty simple; Don't run from the cops, ignore their commands, and try to run them over and you won't get shot.
none

Dayton, OH

#10 May 7, 2008
Why, why, why... Multiple gunshots as he sat behind the wheel of the car, stuck in a fence. Latest news shows that he wasn't even the one that committed the robberies.
Excessive use of deadly force. This particular cop is probably still spooked from the last time he got shot and dramatically over-reacted with excessive force.
He should not have been on the police force in any capacity other than a desk job.
Now he needs to be tried, criminally!
Just a girl

Dayton, OH

#11 May 7, 2008
Well, FINALLY I read positive comments about the police! Bravo to the people who support our men and women in blue!
It's not uncommon for family members and friends of someone to see a different side of them...that they are good people (in their opinion). Unfortunately, their emotions bias the truth. And facts are pretty clear, like so many people have said before.
You want to claim he is not a violent person?? Well, why doesn't the NEWS go interview ALL of the victims of theft, robberies, burglaries, stolen property offenses, etc...and see what THEY have to say about how UNVIOLENT he really is. Hey...if the news wants to report the biased opinions of the family, then they should get the opinions of the victims of this CAREER CRIMINAL as well!!!!!
Fact is, there were two robberies in the area where he matched the description of the suspect. He was located in the same area (which is also known for high crime/high drug activity) IN A STOLEN CAR, fled the area, failed to comply with the police, drove through numerous yards, through fences, damaged property, could have killed anyone who happened to be in the way, and came to a stop in someones backyard. I am so tired of people saying he was UNARMED, too! He was behind the wheel of a car weighing thousands of pounds! Witnesses say they heard the engine revving and the tires spinning before the officer was forced to fire his gun. Now, admittedly, I wasn't there but I can make an educated guess based on the witness accounts that if the officer was giving orders to surrender, the engine revved, and the tires spun...then the officer was probably in fear of not only his life but the life of the TRUE INNOCENT bystanders and officers.
BUT HE WAS A GOOD GUY, NOT A THREAT TO POLICE, AND WAS GETTING HIS LIFE TOGETHER. Yeah, it shows.
Matched description of suspect + in a stolen car + failed to comply with officers + led police on a chase + officer had no choice put to shoot = bad day to be a dumbass.
I also just read that another person ended up being charged for the robberies. So what. This guy matched the description and was in the same area in a stolen car. He could've stopped. He may have gone to jail for being in a stolen car. Maybe he had drugs on him...we'll have to wait and see. But you don't usually hear about sober people fleeing by driving through chain link and privacy fences while running from the cops. He was probably higher than a kite.
BUT he was good guy. Gimme a break...HIS ACTIONS lead to his death. So, point the finger in the right direction. I am grateful to have the great quality of law enforcement officers that we have in this whole county!! I am glad the officers are all safe.
randyp

Cincinnati, OH

#12 May 7, 2008
lets see.... from Kettering, in a stolen car in the ghetto... ran for 10 mins. from the police.. If Larry wanted to make it all stop all he had to do is
1 pull over
2 get identified, to prove he is not the guy the police are after
3 get arrested for being the driver of a stolen car with drugs in it and get ilc in montgomery county. he was not just sitting behind the wheel stuck in a fence he was digging to china trying to run.
Just a girl

Dayton, OH

#13 May 7, 2008
And for 'NONE' who wrote about excessive force...I'll say this:

For all the cop haters out there...you try doing their job...just for one day. And THEN you can come back here and post your comments. I guarantee the comments posted will be much less IGNORANT!
Frontier Justice

Cleveland, OH

#14 May 7, 2008
For all the friends, who claim they were close to their now-dead friend - where were you the 22 years you supported his law-breaking?
Police officers put their lives on the line each day, to protect the public and their property. In other countries, this man would have had his arms chopped off or worse for stealing alone!
It's time we back our police, and let criminals know they will pay, for taking what is not theirs and hurting the innocent.
This man was no ones freind, least of all his own friend - he was an accient waiting to happen. Luckily, it was he, not the victim of one of his robberies who was killed this time.
none

Dayton, OH

#15 May 7, 2008
I suppose you feel ALL car chases should end with the suspect getting shot multiple times!!! After all, he's got that 2000 pound weapon.

Idea
--- cops don't approach from directly behind the car
--- shoot out the tires
--- block the yard with your patrol cars

These are just a couple of things that could have been done before filling the suspect with bullets.
It Doesnt Matter

United States

#16 May 7, 2008
I just want to say F*CK YOU to everyone on here that talks shit about Lary. You didnt know him personally, all your doing is going by what is said on the news. He was like a father to me and was the father of my best friend. Yea he had his problems but everyone has problems in some way. Yea he was a drugy, addicted to crack, but he was getting help. He wasnt trying to "run over" the officers he was trying to get away. I understand why the police shot him and truthfully if I was in the same position I would more than likely do the same thing but not shoot to kill nor shoot 5 times. Actually i would have used my taser because that is what they are for.
i know

Cincinnati, OH

#18 May 7, 2008
Logged in as GUEST on Server 2 Advanced Search Disclaimer Customer Feedback Log In
Montgomery County Clerk of Courts PRO System
*For a thorough search please enter search criteria in both the 'NAME' & 'COMPANY' fields*
Last Name First Name Company Name Case Number

Search Results For All Indexes
Click on a case number to view case information
MAIN INDEX
5 records found for LABENSKY, L in Main Index.
Didn't find what you are looking for? Try an advanced search within the Main Index only.
Party Affl Party Type D.O.B. Case Status Case Number
LABENSKY, LARRY R DEFENDANT 05/09/1963 CLOSED 2004 CR 04215
LABENSKY, LARY R DEFENDANT 05/09/1963 CLOSED 2005 CR 00394
LABENSKY, LARY R DEBTOR OPEN 2007 CJ 159949
LABENSKY, LARY R. DEFENDANT 05/09/1963 CLOSED 2007 CR 00196
LABENSKY, LARY R. DEFENDANT 05/09/1963 CLOSED 2006 CR 00042

CIVIL HISTORICAL INDEX
1 record found for LABENSKY, L in Historical Civil Index.
There is no docket or service information online for Historical Civil cases.
Party/Case Title Case Number
LABENSKY LARRY REED
STATE OF OHIO VS LABENSKY 1991 CA 012966

CRIMINAL HISTORICAL INDEX
8 records found for LABENSKY, L in Criminal Historical Index.
There is no docket or service information online for Historical Criminal cases.
Party/
Alias 1 Bind Date/
Alias 2 Arrest Date/
Alias 3 Bond Case Number
LABENSKY, LARRY R

1984 CR 001654
LABENSKY, LARRY REED

1989 CR 002277
LABENSKY, LARY R
12/7/1982
12/1/1982
0000COR 1982 CR 002463
LABENSKY, LARY R
1/8/1982
1/4/1982
5000 1982 CR 000049
LABENSKY, LARY R

1985 CR 001229
LABENSKY, LARY R

3/4/1988
1988 CR 001056
LABENSKY, LARY REED

1989 CR 002167
LABENSKY, LARY REED

1991 CR 000851
i know

Cincinnati, OH

#19 May 7, 2008
Case Pick List

Case No
Status
Defendant Name
Race

DOB
2004-CRM-011967
Closed

Lary R Labensky

Male

White

05/09/1963
2004-TRD-016706
Closed

Lary R Labensky

Male

White

05/09/1963
2007-CRM-000849
Closed

Lary R Labensky

Male

White

05/09/1963
2007-CRA-000852
Closed

Lary R Labensky

Male

White

05/09/1963

Just a guy

United States

#20 May 7, 2008
"truthfully if I was in the same position I would more than likely do the same thing but not shoot to kill nor shoot 5 times. Actually i would have used my taser because that is what they are for."

To you, all i have to say is prove it. You dont have the balls to go out there and do what they do every single day. And as for your uneducated, ignorant comment about the taser...one major flaw in your theory of "What YOU would have done"... his window was rolled up...those cartridges wont go through glass idiot. He did what he had to do.

Another quote...

"This particular cop is probably still spooked from the last time he got shot and dramatically over-reacted with excessive force.
He should not have been on the police force in any capacity other than a desk job.
Now he needs to be tried, criminally!"

Once again, you dont know what you are talking about. If you knew anything about this particular officer, which i do, you would know that he was shot during the first incident and responded properly. It is not like he is going around looking for people to shoot...im sure while he is working, he draws his gun on people nearly on a daily basis, but he doesnt shoot everyone...he uses his discretion...and very well at that. Labinsky was a serious threat...a threat that needed to be stopped, and he was.

And last but certainly not least...this one takes the idiotic quote of the day...

"Idea
--- cops don't approach from directly behind the car
--- shoot out the tires
--- block the yard with your patrol cars"

All i have to say to this is you watch WAY too much television.

Of the three quotes i pulled from the last 12 hours or so, im not sure which one sounds the dumbest to me, but i assure you, Officer Cornwell is a great officer. I personally am proud to have his serving the city of dayton. If you happen to read this...thank you Officer Chris Cornwell
none

Dayton, OH

#21 May 8, 2008
Look at the pictures. He may have put the car in reverse, but it did not move... it was stuck in the mud and under the fence.

Officers could have moved out from behind the car.

There had to be option rather that shooting 5 times to kill.

I am NOT a cop hater. Has to be a very difficult job and I respect what they do. There just had to be another option

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Save Mother Earth! 2 hr Literature Lover 3
Hold it! Hold it! 2 hr Net Nut 1
News The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr NotInPotatoQuality 20,387
News Ohio police to consider charges in Xenia woman'... (Apr '10) Jul 20 Adultery Destroys 6
Raise for City Employees Jul 20 No Raise 2
what year did Xenia go bad? (May '10) Jun '16 Ordell Robbie 12
Jimmy Dean Walker Maybe commonwealth drive arou... Jun '16 whoru 1

Xenia Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Xenia Mortgages