Longtime WDTN Sports Director Omar Williams passes away

Full story: WDTN Dayton 30
Longtime WDTN Sports Director Omar Williams has died. Williams passed away Sunday morning at his home in Marco Island, Florida. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Katie Shivler

Springfield, OH

#1 May 5, 2008
I grew up in a family based on sports, especially Catholic Central sports. We watched sports, played sports and traveled Ohio supporting our Fighting Irish, no matter when, where, or how cold. After the game was over it was always the goal to get home in time to catch the news, even if we only got a score recap, we always watched. Omar Williams was a superstar to me then, and when he did grace our field or gym personally it was better than a visit from the President because if Omar came it meant that your team was something special. It's a great loss to the area, and to me personally, as though a part of my childhood has been lost. I am sorry.
Matt James

Tallahassee, FL

#2 May 5, 2008
Omar was always a class act and a nice man.
George Hiotis

Bluffton, OH

#3 May 5, 2008
I grew up watching Omar...Ch. 7 may have been the number one station in Dayton -- But it was Omar that we turned to for sports. I loved his play by play of the Dayton Flyers -- especially his famous "2" when Donald Smith would hit a shot. I even called into Ch. 2 once for a high school football score...and Omar answered the phone in the newsroom. He was friendly and helpful. He, along with Don Wayne and the true legends of Dayton T-V.n Omar will be missed.
Norman

Wheeling, WV

#4 May 5, 2008
He will be missed...
Brian Casey

Joliet, IL

#5 May 5, 2008
Omar Williams was the BEST! He set a great example for all of us to follow and a member of the media and as people. We were blessed to have him on Dayton TV. He will be missed but not forgotten.
cheryl

AOL

#6 May 5, 2008
I remember him cominf into my living room every night for along time and I enjoyed watching him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and he will be sadly missed.
Mike from Greenville

Mansfield, OH

#7 May 5, 2008
The memories of Omar are vast,I started watching him when I was a boy, his way of reporting sports was fascinating to me then as my memories are now, I never thought of Omar getting old, I always thought he would still be there when I was gone. He will be sorely missed , he will live in my memory till my time comes and I get to see him again. Thanks Omar your the best.
Mike Scinto

Cincinnati, OH

#8 May 5, 2008
I was the WDTN Assignment Editor late 1970's. There were two individuals who always looked me in the eye and asked a young guy like me, new in the TV news business, how I was doing. They were anchorman Art Brown and Omar Williams. Omar treated every single person in the newsroom the same way. He wasn't about empty salutations, he genuinely cared. Omar had, what I thought was, a unique way of being professional but not taking anything too seriously.....and he taught me that in my career as well. When I was pulling my hair out close to air time over a story, he'd smile and tell me to calm down.....it would all work out. And I usually did. I will miss him!
Fred Barker

San Ramon, CA

#9 May 5, 2008
Everyone is remembering Omar for all of the sports he covered and the wonderful man he was. All of that is true, but he was something else. He was an innovator. Not just the wrestling coverage in the early days, but he also hosted a sports trivia show long before those kind of shows were popular. It was called Eager Leaguer and it featured youngsters from the various Dayton area youth baseball leagues. I was lucky enough to be one of the contestants in the summer of 62. I don't remember much except that he made all of us feel right at home on the set. I spoke to Omar about 15 years ago about the program, hoping there was some old tape laying around, but unfortunately, the shows were done live. Omar was gracious when I told him he was a man way ahead of his time. We could use someone like him now. Good luck in the next life Omar. We'll miss you in this one.
Kip

Miamisburg, OH

#10 May 5, 2008
One of the greats!! I remember as a child watching all of the action of Big Time wrestling. No doubt Omar will be missed. The last time I saw him was a long time ago at Octoberfest in Minster. He had a smile on his face and that little straw hat that he often wore. Maybe a chicken/beer in his hand. Won't tell. Reminded me a little of the "Old Lefthander down in Cinci. God bless.
Ben Thompson

London, KY

#11 May 5, 2008
I lived and worked in Dayton 1970-2003 and watched Ch 2 all the time for my news,weather and sports.It was a sad day when Omar announced his retirement and a very very sad one to know he is gone from this earth,he surely made it a better place to live with his personality. God bless you Omar and God bless the family, Ben Thompson Somerset Ky
Linda Kowaleski

Oswego, IL

#12 May 5, 2008
In the late 70's I attended a workshop at WDTN's studio and Omar came in and talked about dealing with the media. At that time I worked at the Darke County United Way. The workshop was great and he was a joy. Funny, informative and a genuinely nice person. I am sorry to hear of his passing and I send my sincere sympathies to his family, friends and coworkers.
Dave Harris

United States

#13 May 5, 2008
I remember Omar in the early WLW-D Avco days. Omar had the voice and the enthusiam to do all sports that he covered. A true Gentleman, I will miss you Omar.
Ken Todd

Englewood, OH

#14 May 5, 2008
Omar has really been a great person and WDTN was really lucky ro have such a good person doing the sports. Omar knew his stuff and he was always great to watch. He will be missed by thousands of people.
Pat

AOL

#15 May 5, 2008
In the early 1950's my father opened Craig's Barber Shop at 3950 Kettering Blvd. located between Stragand's IGA and Merries Inn where Newcomer Funeral Home is now located. I remember my father telling me that for many years he cut Omar Williams' hair and what a nice man he was. He will be sadly missed and remembered as a great person.
Debbie Jones

Cincinnati, OH

#16 May 6, 2008
From my earliest memories of sports on TV and throughout my life, Omar Williams is the only name I knew. My grandparents owned a little pizza house, Angelina's in Moraine. When we would get an order from the Williams one of the little Italian ladies would know it was Omar William and his wife. She would make that order as if it were being prepared for a king! When either of them would pick it up they were always so nice. I always liked dropping their name to other people, as though I had met a famous celebrity. My thoughts are with the family as a little of my childhood and memories feel their loss.
Karla Stanley

George Town, Cayman Islands

#17 May 6, 2008
What a voice. I too grew up watching Omar Williams. His commanding voice and style has been the inspiration for many sportcasters. f
Ken

Englewood, OH

#18 May 6, 2008
Thank you share sports whit us!
Kris Long

Rancho Mirage, CA

#19 May 6, 2008
Our entire family has been quite moved by the remembrances of Omar. He was a special guy who worked during the golden era of TV. As saddened as we are by his death, we are looking forward to seeing many good friends when we return to the Maimi Valley for his services.
JCW

United States

#20 May 7, 2008
We really liked Omar. He was a great companion to WDTN channel 2 sports. He was one of the best sportscast on the news. God Bless You Omar.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Xenia Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OH Who do you support for Governor in Ohio in 2010? (Oct '10) 1 hr xxxrayted 31,021
The 25 Most Dangerous Cities in the U.S. Are Mo... (Nov '10) 7 hr WARRIOR 19,210
This is your lucky Monday! 18 hr masterofconcretep... 4
Our recommendation: Springboro voters should sa... (Feb '08) 22 hr pathetic 31,266
Charter school complaints prompt wider probe Wed Fan of Leon The Man 2
Looking for Prentice Richardson (Aka Buddy) (Apr '12) Tue hitchiker 7
Community Keeps Calm Despite Questions About Wa... Tue Fan of Leon The Man 1
•••
•••
•••

Xenia Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Xenia People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE