Wohlfahrt Haus Dinner Theater

Posted in the Wytheville Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Unhappy customer

Vinton, VA

#1 Jan 4, 2010
Has anyone been treated very rudely by the Wohlfahrt Haus staff. We had reservations which were cancelled due the inclement weather (the theater was closed), and we were charged anyway. When we asked for a refund, we were treated terribly. We were told that we could come to a show the week after Christmas (we were going out of town). Peggy Sutphin (she said that she was the owner) even hung up on me (she did call back and told me we were disconnected). She did give me a refund after I filed a dispute with my credit card company - I thanked her, and she told me I was not welcome and she hoped that I never stepped foot in the theater again. I have been a very loyal customer and was very hurt by the treatment I received. Just wondered if anyone else has had an experience like this.
jane

Buena Vista, VA

#2 Jan 6, 2010
Unhappy customer wrote:
Has anyone been treated very rudely by the Wohlfahrt Haus staff. We had reservations which were cancelled due the inclement weather (the theater was closed), and we were charged anyway. When we asked for a refund, we were treated terribly. We were told that we could come to a show the week after Christmas (we were going out of town). Peggy Sutphin (she said that she was the owner) even hung up on me (she did call back and told me we were disconnected). She did give me a refund after I filed a dispute with my credit card company - I thanked her, and she told me I was not welcome and she hoped that I never stepped foot in the theater again. I have been a very loyal customer and was very hurt by the treatment I received. Just wondered if anyone else has had an experience like this.
Maybe you should put this is in the Wytheville paper. This sounds like a bad way to treat people.
Unhappy customer

Vinton, VA

#3 Jan 6, 2010
Yes, Jane, maybe I should. I had though about calling the Better Business Bureau. There was actually much more said than I had listed - I was utterly shocked at the unprofessionalism. It is obvious that all of the money we have spent there in the last several years was not appreciated. Thanks.

Since: Nov 09

Wytheville Va.

#4 Jan 7, 2010
Well there you go, another reason businesses are dying in Wytheville. Customer service. It only seems to be getting worse.
SuzyQ

Roanoke, VA

#5 Jan 14, 2010
I also had a bad experience there. Food was terrible, play was like a high school production, and service was not good.
former employee

Calverton, NY

#6 Jan 27, 2010
Peggy is also refusing to pay the cast of the Christmas show of her other theatre (in Wisconsin) for their last week of work. It is in their contract, and the dates are clearly stated, but she just doesn't feel like it. Awful.
theatre

Blacksburg, VA

#7 Mar 10, 2010
where is kevin chandler?
long time customer

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Mar 17, 2010
I have been going to the Wohlfahrt Haus 7 yrs now, I have never had a bad time the food has always been good, the show are great and the staff very friendly, maybe you were rude to start with, sometime that make things worse. YOu had to have your money back ? Why not go to another show at another time thats what we did during the bad winter no problem had a wonderful time can't wait to see STeven Freeman's elvis in May rock on Whdt
Unhappy customer

Glen Lyn, VA

#9 Mar 27, 2010
No, we were not rude. We live about 2 hours away from the theater and we have small children - therefore we cannot simply go to another show. Also, the real issue is that you cannot legally charge someone for something that never happened. Peggy knows this, but she is dishonest. Peggy should never have treated ANY customer in the manner that she did - especially one that has been a long-time customer. It really showed her lack of professionalism and character.
Tom P

Vinton, VA

#10 Mar 29, 2010
I have to agree with unhappy customer. In today's economy, businesses need to appreciate the customers they do have - I would never treat one of my patrons this way even if I felt they were wrong. Whatever happened to "the customer is always right"?
Former Wisconsin Customer

Wausau, WI

#11 Jul 9, 2010
Peggy Sutphin's dinner theatre in WI Dells closed its doors with no warning to its customers whatsoever. I was able to track her down to the Wohlfahrthaus, but after over a month's worth of phone calls, she has yet to speak with me. She has a lady named Marie that she hides behind who refuses to answer any questions about Peggy, about the money she owes us or any other information. All she keeps saying is that Peggy is very busy, unavailable or in a meeting. She won't even tell me that Peggy will call me back. Our last conversation I was told to fax my information over and "maybe" Peggy will contact me. No wonder her business in Wisconsin fell apart, if this is how she chooses to run her business and treat her customers. VERY UNPROFESSIONAL!!
another ex-customer

Morristown, TN

#12 Jul 13, 2010
At one time our family thoroughly enjoyed our trips to Wytheville and the productions and service at the Wohlfarht Haus, but something started changing around five years ago. The quality of the shows and the service just is not what it once was. Sad to see such a once proud attraction become what it is now. So after three or so disappointing visits, we just can't justify returning to another amateurish production and rude treatment by an incompetent staff. Sorry.
Jen

United States

#13 Jul 29, 2010
My family went there once for a peformance. The food was less than average. The service was ok. The show was horrible and I'll watch almost anything! We even left in the middle of the performance it was that bad. Then they announced that the waitstaff pretty much earns their money by tips and they add suggested tip (which was about 18 or 20%) to the bill. That wouldn't have bothered me at all except that they take the percentage of the entire bill - the food, and the show cost too! We left a tip based on the cost of the food and left at intermission. We live nearby and are very hesitant to return other than to go to other restaurant/bar which is also at the same location as they seem to serve better food anyway.
Levi

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Oct 12, 2010
Go to Wytheville Cinema. Problem solved.

Since: Sep 09

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Oct 15, 2010
We have been attending dinner and plays there since it opened. We have never been disappointed. The last time we were there was to see "The Rat Pack." There were 7 in our party. The production was awesome. We throughly enjoyed it, the cheese dip was great. Our server was excellant. Between all of us she probably received better than $70.00 in tips and she deserved it.
WTF

Hermitage, TN

#16 Oct 16, 2010
Is it me or is this place pronounced wolf fart?
friend

Huntington, IN

#17 Oct 22, 2010
theatre wrote:
where is kevin chandler?
Hey. I was a friend of kevins..he passed away a few years ago.
bluebutterfly

Wytheville, VA

#18 Dec 11, 2010
Jen wrote:
My family went there once for a peformance. The food was less than average. The service was ok. The show was horrible and I'll watch almost anything! We even left in the middle of the performance it was that bad. Then they announced that the waitstaff pretty much earns their money by tips and they add suggested tip (which was about 18 or 20%) to the bill. That wouldn't have bothered me at all except that they take the percentage of the entire bill - the food, and the show cost too! We left a tip based on the cost of the food and left at intermission. We live nearby and are very hesitant to return other than to go to other restaurant/bar which is also at the same location as they seem to serve better food anyway.
where does it say that you have to pay a tip on the show? if you ask, the box office will tell you the tip is left on the food or whatever you want to leave.
Charles

Charlottesville, VA

#19 Dec 14, 2010
If I were unhappy with service, play, dates, cost I certainly wouldn't post it on the internet. I would contact the better business B or chalk it off as a bad experience. Don't cry if you don't always get your way.
toofbrush

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Dec 14, 2010
well...the wolfhart house dinner theater isn't accredited by the BBB, so calling the BBB will do nothing for you.

In other news, I used to manage a hotel in Wytheville. This past Spring, Peggy called me and offered me two free tickets to a newly opening show. She told me to call back the Tuesday before the show started (3 or 4 weeks away) and she would arrange for me to pick up the free show passes/ tickets.

Another lady from WHDT called me the weekend before the show and asked if I would be able to offer discounts to out-of-state actors for the upcoming show. I gave her our lowest available rate, which was $5 less than our advertised walk-in rate.

The week of the show, I called about the tickets and I was told to call back every single day. The day the show opened, I went to WHDT and was told Peggy wasn't there and the free passes were only good for opening day.

I called my mom and canceled our dinner plans.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Pathetic 26 min Lol 6
Wytheville Music Thread 2 hr Duhhh 2
Snitches. (Mar '17) 3 hr 12345mb 41
Nikki Burks 7 hr U wack 32
Johnathon Snitchmate 7 hr Savage 3
johnathon shumate? (Aug '15) 9 hr FedUp 5
rick miller (worked at ruby tuesdays) 12 hr Fabulous Fruit 8

Wytheville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance