First Prev
of 2
Next Last
kelly

Columbus, OH

#22 Apr 17, 2013
jon wrote:
That was a joke btw, also heard Boys bball coach got canned today, anyone see this coming?
Hope they keep cleaning house. Maybe the volleyball coach and softball coach will be next.
Parent of a Frmr GW Roon

Wytheville, VA

#23 May 13, 2013
Someone hit the nail on the head. The base problems here are very simple.. a lack of fundamentals in the varsity girl's programs (and NOT just on the basketball roster) and an INTENSE lack of respect for the coaches by some parents. I don't know a parent one who doesn't sit in the stands and coach at times but when they begin loud grumblings about their child not getting the play time they deem deserved (or the position) and set about carrying the complaints further than the bleachers... there is a problem. Fundamentals at the JV and Varsity levels are taught in the lower grades and that is highly neglected in the sports program at George Wythe. Learning fundamentals on the varsity playing field is almost impossible. If they don't have them, of course it is necessary to try and instill them quickly, but a winning season? Not gonna happen. But lack of fundamentals being taught at an elementary level aside... We parents need to step up and claim what is rightly ours as well. For four years I watched players on the girls teams disrespect their coaches when they tried to correct them. It is a travesty. There was a time when a coach could tell a player to turn cartwheels on the court and the athlete would yell "YES COACH" and do their best to fulfill that command. As parents, we need to instill in our children the respect and discipline needed for them to excel as an athlete. When they have that, those respectful and disciplined athletes will create a winning team, even in years that lack "natural born" talent. So shame on all of us parents with lack of insight to turn that finger back to ourselves. When you talk down about those coaches to your children, when you second guess them, make excuses for errors by blaming it on calls by coaches, or tell your student you will "handle it"... you are destroying an opportunity you will no get back that will help your child learn to excel on their OWN merit. Does something need to be done about the lack of fundamentals, most definitely. Someone look into the coaches for our little bits who are supposed to be learning rules and basic drills on the elementary level. Someone take a moment to step into those P.E. classes and see how many children are dressed out and participating (100% participation and concentration on the game being learned and NOT goofing off or gossiping)... parents take an active role in making sure your child is prepared for the 8th grade level, the JV level... The Varsity level is time to hone their skills, not learn to dribble and pass. YES it is frustrating watch your team lose. My child graduated in 2012 and endured these "losing" seasons as well. But we are pointing at the "easy" target. Lets all take some responsibility for failing our kids.
Wilson

Brookneal, VA

#24 May 13, 2013
spaulding wrote:
I think u will be surprised and happy with new coach!!
Not unless he coached the Harlem Globe trotters.
Thomas

Brookneal, VA

#25 May 13, 2013
Parent of a Frmr GW Roon wrote:
Someone hit the nail on the head. The base problems here are very simple.. a lack of fundamentals in the varsity girl's programs (and NOT just on the basketball roster) and an INTENSE lack of respect for the coaches by some parents. I don't know a parent one who doesn't sit in the stands and coach at times but when they begin loud grumblings about their child not getting the play time they deem deserved (or the position) and set about carrying the complaints further than the bleachers... there is a problem. Fundamentals at the JV and Varsity levels are taught in the lower grades and that is highly neglected in the sports program at George Wythe. Learning fundamentals on the varsity playing field is almost impossible. If they don't have them, of course it is necessary to try and instill them quickly, but a winning season? Not gonna happen. But lack of fundamentals being taught at an elementary level aside... We parents need to step up and claim what is rightly ours as well. For four years I watched players on the girls teams disrespect their coaches when they tried to correct them. It is a travesty. There was a time when a coach could tell a player to turn cartwheels on the court and the athlete would yell "YES COACH" and do their best to fulfill that command. As parents, we need to instill in our children the respect and discipline needed for them to excel as an athlete. When they have that, those respectful and disciplined athletes will create a winning team, even in years that lack "natural born" talent. So shame on all of us parents with lack of insight to turn that finger back to ourselves. When you talk down about those coaches to your children, when you second guess them, make excuses for errors by blaming it on calls by coaches, or tell your student you will "handle it"... you are destroying an opportunity you will no get back that will help your child learn to excel on their OWN merit. Does something need to be done about the lack of fundamentals, most definitely. Someone look into the coaches for our little bits who are supposed to be learning rules and basic drills on the elementary level. Someone take a moment to step into those P.E. classes and see how many children are dressed out and participating (100% participation and concentration on the game being learned and NOT goofing off or gossiping)... parents take an active role in making sure your child is prepared for the 8th grade level, the JV level... The Varsity level is time to hone their skills, not learn to dribble and pass. YES it is frustrating watch your team lose. My child graduated in 2012 and endured these "losing" seasons as well. But we are pointing at the "easy" target. Lets all take some responsibility for failing our kids.
I didn't fail mine.
claire

Martinsville, VA

#26 May 13, 2013
Thomas wrote:
<quoted text> I didn't fail mine.
I didn't either.
Parent of a Frmr GW Roon

Wytheville, VA

#27 May 14, 2013
That is why I said "some"... but even though I think I am a good mother, and have good kids, I am able to admit at times I "dropped" the ball. I am NOT saying that every parent is the problem, but ignoring there is a problem, and not just at George Wythe or Wythe County, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. This is not a way to excuse ANY of the factors that contribute to a "losing" season. But ignoring even one factor is harmful, not to us... to our children.
Voigt

Brookneal, VA

#28 May 14, 2013
That is why I said "some"... but even though I think I am a good mother, and have good kids, I am able to admit at times I "dropped" the ball. I am NOT saying that every parent is the problem, but ignoring there is a problem, and not just at George Wythe or Wythe County, doesn't mean there isn't a problem. This is not a way to excuse ANY of the factors that contribute to a "losing" season. But ignoring even one factor is harmful, not to us... to our children.
Tell that to Obama.
claire

Martinsville, VA

#29 May 14, 2013

I have seen the games and seen the eye rolling and ignoring what the coach says. Back in the day you would have your butt on the bench until you learned some manners and respect. There is also a lack of hustle. Anyone walking down the court does not need to be in there.

I faithfully pray that the new coach lays some ground rules and sticks to them. They should demand respect for themselves as well as the game. Somebody please teach these girls how to rebound and hustle.
Wilma

Brookneal, VA

#30 May 14, 2013
claire wrote:
<quoted text>
I have seen the games and seen the eye rolling and ignoring what the coach says. Back in the day you would have your butt on the bench until you learned some manners and respect. There is also a lack of hustle. Anyone walking down the court does not need to be in there.
I faithfully pray that the new coach lays some ground rules and sticks to them. They should demand respect for themselves as well as the game. Somebody please teach these girls how to rebound and hustle.
A good coach would have noticed that on the rebounds and immediately taken steps to correct the problem. Don't blame the girls. They were there to learn. Where was their teacher?
Gus

Cary, NC

#31 May 23, 2013
First off it's high school sports folks. I would hope there is a lot more expected from a coach than winning. I saw Pat Burns, he coached when I was in school, if he does come back then there was a plan all along. What about Joey Russell, his record was pretty damn good. Sounds like the same old power grab by administration and "old money" again. What a joke of a school system.
Gus

Cary, NC

#32 May 23, 2013
Also sounds like parents trying to coach. Nothing new at GWHS. Good ole boy system at work again.
Doctor J

Richmond, VA

#33 May 31, 2013
When you have a "part time" basketball coach there is only so much that can be done with the program. Get a "full time" dedicated to girls basketball coach that doesn't have another sport as his number one sport (football) and that will be a step in the right direction. There also needs to be some team building off the court so that the girls have a desire to win and help each other achieve that goal. It is clear that girls sports are an after thought at GW.
Shakela

Brookneal, VA

#34 May 31, 2013
Is Jerry Sandusky the new coach?? I didn't know he had been released.

Since: Jun 12

Location hidden

#35 Jun 5, 2013
Ah, reading this really makes me sad. I remember back in the day when Coach Lilly Moore was in charge of most of the girl's sports and Trish Copenhaver was over the basketball. They worked the girls hard on the court during practice and instilled RESPECT from them in the classrooms.

But parents were different 25-30 years ago. If you started a sport, you stayed on the team until the end of the season! Kids now are as likely to drop off if they get their delicate little feelings hurt by a coach yelling at them. We're seeing kids with no understanding of an adult being in charge, because their own parents don't have control of them in the homes and don't support the coaches 100%!!! Parents are as likely to take the kid's side if there is an issue during practice or at a game, not like way back when parents told kids to 'suck it up, and obey' or they would be punished at home!!! These days a note from a teacher or coach for a parent conference often makes the child grin, because their parents will always take their side and the coaches hands are tied. You can't build a good team without good players, and without good players who are willing to work hard you won't EVER have a winning season!

Coaches are there because they love the kids, love the sports, and want to see the kids win and learn not just the sports but the life-lessons that go with being on a team. Parents should step up at home and quit making it misery to coach their kids!!! Maybe if GWHS had a better record of discipline, they'd get some really good candidates who weren't afraid to do their job and get the kids motivated to take what talent they have and put it to use! That's the problem in a nutshell-parents from home, administration at school, time for them to work together and raise some decent kids!!!

I'm glad my kid has graduated, and I speak from seeing these things happen with those who participated with my kid in various sports.

I hope they find a great coach and he/she can get the job done without interference but help and support!
Phillip

United States

#36 Jun 14, 2013
As the world turns.
peggy

Charlottesville, VA

#37 Jan 15, 2014
Wilson wrote:
<quoted text>Not unless he coached the Harlem Globe trotters.
We got us some Trotters and a coach!
bill

Charlottesville, VA

#39 Feb 17, 2014
peggy wrote:
<quoted text>
We got us some Trotters and a coach!
Has he turned it around for the program. I think yes.
ha ha

Silver Spring, MD

#40 Feb 18, 2014
Put a log chain on em and make em run wile you yell and cuss that always works
Trader John

Charlottesville, VA

#41 Feb 18, 2014
Tuna is canned and it smells.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Giant Green Tomato Eating Caterpillar 4 hr Unionsoup 9
Im looking to contact..."Samantha Vance"? 4 hr Unionsoup 10
Got Gorilla 4 hr Unionsoup 1
Lamberson 6 hr Unionsoup 5
News Judge charged with driving drunk (Mar '08) 7 hr Unionsoup 34
Pinocchio 13 hr Earl boi 9
Union signs in front of Pepsi? (Oct '11) 22 hr Crazy Nuts 34
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wytheville Mortgages