First Prev
of 2
Next Last
this is a joke

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Apr 13, 2013
Bradley Sutphin, head coach of the George Wythe High School girls basketball team has resigned as coach. The Wythe County School Board announced the resignation after Wednesday’s board meeting. He remains a physical education teacher at Scott Memorial Middle School.

During the meeting, the parent of a middle school basketball player voiced concern about the resignation.

Nicole Fisher called the resignation “forced.” She said she was appearing before the board on behalf of several parents and others “who don’t think their voice matters.”

In defending Sutphin, Fisher said he is dependable and caring. She said he uses social media like Facebook and email to relay valuable information to parents and players.

Fisher said the coach takes players to basketball camps and provides summer camps for the girls.

“He provided encouragement on and off the floor,” she said, adding that female players deserve the same quality of coaches that male athletes have.

“Boys always get the good coaches,” she said.

Fisher hinted that Sutphin ran into problems with “unhappy parents” upset about the lack of playing time for their child.

Wythe County School Superintendent Dr. Lee Brannon declined to comment on Sutphin’s resignation.

Perhaps this has something to do with the fact that his 4 year record was 32-59!!!
karen

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Apr 13, 2013
Maybe the parents were unhappy because of the downward spiral of the program since he took over. The girls win loss record is horrible since he has been at the reigns. Dependable and caring does not make a coach. Any coach that goes to the end of the bench and quits coaching with his legs and arms folded when the team falls behind needs to RESIGN!! GW athletes deserve better!!
jon

Martinsville, VA

#3 Apr 13, 2013
forced to resign or get fired, I would probably resign put in that situation too, no reason these girls couldnt have done better and it all starts with fundamentals and coaching. which clearly after watching them play, neither were present. GW did the right thing in firing/forcing him to resign. Now hire a coach with the credentials to get the job done. Pat Burns needs to be back in the basketball picture at GW whether it be girls or boys, he is the best basketball coach in Wythe County.
susan

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Apr 13, 2013
jon wrote:
forced to resign or get fired, I would probably resign put in that situation too, no reason these girls couldnt have done better and it all starts with fundamentals and coaching. which clearly after watching them play, neither were present. GW did the right thing in firing/forcing him to resign. Now hire a coach with the credentials to get the job done. Pat Burns needs to be back in the basketball picture at GW whether it be girls or boys, he is the best basketball coach in Wythe County.
Agreed but he is retired!!
karen

Charlottesville, VA

#5 Apr 13, 2013
So this womans daughter plays middle school? I dont get why whe would be so concerned about a varsity coach with a terrible record. HuuuM? More policits????
someone

Farmville, VA

#6 Apr 13, 2013
karen wrote:
So this womans daughter plays middle school? I dont get why whe would be so concerned about a varsity coach with a terrible record. HuuuM? More policits????
Maybe she wants Sutphin to coach her daughter/
karen

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Apr 13, 2013
Whyy woulld anyone want that for their daughter??
Doctor J

Farmville, VA

#9 Apr 13, 2013
The school board had several excellent candidates when they hired him that didn't even get an interview. It is obvious that GW is not interested in the well being of girls athletics. Look at the volleyball teams record over the past 2 years.
John boy

Farmville, VA

#10 Apr 13, 2013
Doctor J
I agree with you 100%!!!!!!!
sherry

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Apr 14, 2013
With a 32-59 record any coach should be "forced" to resign or be fired.
Lots of BS

Troy, VA

#12 Apr 14, 2013
I will be back to haunt you.
casper

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Apr 14, 2013
Lots of BS wrote:
I will be back to haunt you.
Please don't? Let the program get back to where it was for the past 35 years!!
mike

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Apr 14, 2013
Honestly the girls team lacked alot of things and talent was not one of them. U have to bring the talent out of your players and play as a team. The coach never did a good job. Lord help the new coach cause they are going to have talent! Lets see it shine!!
Shakela

Troy, VA

#15 Apr 14, 2013
This years team will be great! Last years time had misguided talent.
Doctor J

Farmville, VA

#16 Apr 14, 2013
Next years team will be fair at best. Coaching is not the only issue. The administration needs to get behind the girls programs or this will continue to be a losing program.
mike

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Apr 15, 2013
So who is going to be the new coach?
chris

Wytheville, VA

#18 Apr 16, 2013
Adam Hughes
Lou

Troy, VA

#19 Apr 16, 2013
chris wrote:
Adam Hughes
Howard Hughes would be better but he is dead.
spaulding

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Apr 16, 2013
I think u will be surprised and happy with new coach!!
jon

Martinsville, VA

#21 Apr 16, 2013
That was a joke btw, also heard Boys bball coach got canned today, anyone see this coming?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Danny Gordon 3 hr 0icu812 13
Starbucks 4 hr Spook Buster 8
Muderers 12 hr Joe Mugs 23
Glenda Altizer Wed pod276 15
Commonwealth Attorney Elections Wed Babywuzaracecared... 17
Preston Burks Tue PDB queen 60
Wythe County making National News Apr 17 Buford Bigg 16

Wytheville Jobs

Personal Finance

Wytheville Mortgages