Hostages at Marquee Cinema??????

Posted in the Wytheville Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Just Wondering

Dillwyn, VA

#1 Apr 29, 2012
I just heard there is someone holding people hostage at the Marquee. Anyone know if this is true or just another crazy rumor?
Not likely

Wytheville, VA

#2 Apr 29, 2012
If something like this isn't on the news, it didn't happen.

Would be a stupid place to try to hold hostages anyway with 20 some exits/entry points
informed

Union Hall, VA

#3 Apr 29, 2012
About 10:30 pm on Sunday night there were three men at the Marque Cinema to rob it. They were all wearing hoodies and carrying handguns as well as an ak 47. The hospital is on lockdown. Town, county and state police are still looking.
informed

Union Hall, VA

#4 Apr 29, 2012
There are no hostages and no one has been hurt yet in the cinema case. There was a separate case where two women were said to have tried to kill a man.
Not true

Wytheville, VA

#5 Apr 29, 2012
WCCH is NOT on lock down. Nothing on the news, no warnings, no reports. This is complete rumor. If this were happening in Wytheville, everyone would know about it by now.

It's actually a good time to go to the ER if you need, how often do you get <30 minute wait times these days?
informed

Union Hall, VA

#6 Apr 29, 2012
Not True, I think you're the only one who doesn't know about it already....
Righto

Wytheville, VA

#7 Apr 29, 2012
You're an idiot. I could say more, but the first three words sums it up pretty well.

Anyone who actually believes this needs to realize that emergencies are broadcast in a relatively rapid manner. People shouldn't be getting their "news" from places like Topix anyway, it only encourages ignorance and misinformation as seen above by "informed."

If it makes you feel important, keep spouting this stuff off. It's painfully apparent that nobody puts any merit into what you're saying. I bet it's like that in "real life" also...
informed

Union Hall, VA

#8 Apr 29, 2012
Not Likely, Not True, and Righto (did I get all your names in there?) Anyway, I hope you are able to watch some sort of news tomorrow.

Have a good night. Not wasting any more time on you.
Gail

United States

#9 Apr 29, 2012
The situation at the theater was real. It was on the scanner. The police wouldnt have been talking about it if it wasnt real.
naa

Fredericksburg, VA

#10 Apr 29, 2012
Call the state police you idiot... It is real.
Retired Cop

Wytheville, VA

#11 Apr 30, 2012
Something HAS been going on up there, and there has been a lot of chatter on the radio (scanners), but a lot of it on mine is coming in scrambled (many agencies now have that function on radios for occaisions JUST like this one). The Virginia State Police helicopter has been flying around the Exit 70 since around 11pm, last time I heard it go over my house was at 2:40 am.
Regardless of this small town's rumor mill, aided by Topix and Facebook, when police are working a major incident, they do not always tell the media everything (as in this case....called an old friend at WDBJ and they said the police aren't telling them anything at all). It can be a safety issue that could jeopardize the officer's safety outside, or people involved inside the situation if the suspects happen to be watching (it does happen, trust me I know from experience!) and regardless of how sensitive you tell the media the info is...some jackwagon reporter always has to be the first to break the story, so yeah...at times we even keep them in the dark. If it is an ongoing situation or investigation...they are NOT required to give the media or public a "play by play" (other than general updates or evacuations needed), and contrary to the public perception...murder or any other investigations are NOT neat, tidy little cases that are solved in an hour and then on to the next one.
Give it time, probably by the 6am newscasts they will have some info to release, or if not later today....stop being nosey, and stop spreading rumors if either of those apply to you, let the police do their job and you'll know if it concerns you...they will tell you!
Retired Cop

Wytheville, VA

#12 Apr 30, 2012
And by the way......do NOT call the police and ask "Hey y'aal, what's going on" like a slackjawed idiot....they have their hands full as it is, and in addition to whatever is going on up there, they still have calls for service coming in (somebody mentioned another possible attempted murder...yeah that's great, TWO major crimes in one night! I've also seen officers leaving town towards Ft. Chiswell long after this stuff happened, and rescue calls never stop....last thing they need is a bunch of Gomers calling to bug the crap out of them.
it was real

Charlottesville, VA

#13 Apr 30, 2012
Better than you

Charlottesville, VA

#15 Apr 30, 2012
ha ha ha just like your screwed up little redneck hillbilly town. a robbery in Wytheville where no one gets hurt, no one is murdered and "ya'LL" don't do a thing... but insult each other and argue. You should feel lucky for being in a sleepy little place.Why not ask how you can help when a situation like that comes up and get off your obese over medicated asses and make a contribution to society instead of wasting your time finding a better one pot meth manufacturing method. Yeah, being the Meth capitol of SWVA probably makes you proud! and no argument over that
somebody else

United States

#16 Apr 30, 2012
Bigger BITCH than you wrote:
ha ha ha just like your screwed up little redneck hillbilly town. a robbery in Wytheville where no one gets hurt, no one is murdered and "ya'LL" don't do a thing... but insult each other and argue. You should feel lucky for being in a sleepy little place.Why not ask how you can help when a situation like that comes up and get off your obese over medicated asses and make a contribution to society instead of wasting your time finding a better one pot meth manufacturing method. Yeah, being the Meth capitol of SWVA probably makes you proud! and no argument over that
Go f*ck yourself.
Seriously

Union Hall, VA

#18 Apr 30, 2012
Perhaps the theater's corporate office needs to use their noggins and at least consider investing in some outdoor surveillance cameras. They should have considered this thought when several cars were broken into last year. If they had the cameras, it would've likely helped in apprehending the muggers, by providing additional information, like what kind a vehicle they were driving, if they had a vehicle at all.
The location is so well hidden and surveillance in that little alcove behind Lowe's is practically non-existent that the theater becomes the easiest target.
If the cinema's corporate office decides that the cameras are still not necessary, then they are fooling themselves, and proving that they don't give a rat's ass about their customers, let alone their employees. They are clearly making a profit by overcharging their customers, why not spend some of that profit on a little surveillance and things like this won't happen as frequently.

Since: Feb 11

Location hidden

#19 Apr 30, 2012
I completely agree about the surveillance, they should have done something about that when they had all the car break ins but overcharging? I think not. Have you been to the movies outside of Wytheville? Apparently not. Ticket prices at the Marquee are fair and the concessions, while high, are not as high as just down the road in Christiansburg. They are a business, they need to make a profit to operate.
John Wayne Cowboy

Pulaski, VA

#20 May 1, 2012
http://m.bdtonline.com/BDT/pm_103628/contentd...

Same thing happened in Princeton back last thursday. Same description of suspects.
Opening night

Wytheville, VA

#22 May 1, 2012
I worked at the theater for the first couple of years it was here. On opening night, there were about a half dozen car windows smashed and purses grabbed. This continued on for basically the life of the theater here. The managers at the time asked Curtis McCall (owner) for cameras and the idea died on the spot. Profit is what they want, not security or safety.

Since James Newman is the current manager (and son of one of the tops dogs in corporate) they may get a camera, but I'd be surprised. And even then, they don't give a sh*t about the customer.

I should add, so this doesn't sound like ex-employer rage, that I left on good terms by my own choosing and still attend movies there. They're really no worse than most businesses, just saying that security is nowhere near a top priority for them
oh please

Wirtz, VA

#23 May 4, 2012
You can watch movies on the internet without the risk of being robbed. What did they get?$10 and a bag of popcorn?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wytheville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
New business 5 hr Random 7
Hillary! 2016 12 hr jdog 2
snitch snitch snitches in wythe county Mar 3 ihatewythecounty 19
jonathan y Mar 2 mm taz va 1
clerk of court Mar 1 Rosemarys labotomy 2
Helicopter with spotlight flying over close to ... Mar 1 Rosemarys labotomy 2
Two more OD in Wytheville (Mar '14) Feb 23 ihatewythecounty 33
Wytheville Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web