Former department store owner: Black Friday 'symbolic of what is not right with retail'

Hurwitz spent the day relaxing with extended family at his parents' Boston home on what traditionally is one of the busiest retail days of the years.

Full Story
Who

Stockton, CA

#1 Nov 26, 2011
Not to mention the greediness of people.
vox veritatis

Grand Rapids, MI

#2 Nov 26, 2011
What's greedy about wanting the limited amount of $$ you have to be able to go as far as it can, especially in this economy?

Since: Nov 09

Marshall, MI

#3 Nov 26, 2011
What I find disgusting is the stores opening earlier and earlier. They are slowly making Thanksgiving a thing of the past. Does Walmart need to open at 10pm on Thursday? It is sad that family's have to leave a gathering early now so they can get some sleep to be at the store by 3am. Hell, even have some camping out in the parking lots totally forgoing Thanksgiving.
Who

Stockton, CA

#4 Nov 26, 2011
vox veritatis wrote:
What's greedy about wanting the limited amount of $$ you have to be able to go as far as it can, especially in this economy?
Absolutely nothing wrong with making your dollar stretch farther, but when people start getting trampled, pepper sprayed, pushed and shoved over a stupid video game, a damn cell phone or whatever it may be - that's pure greed.
Mark

Rockford, MI

#5 Nov 27, 2011
vox veritatis wrote:
It's not necessarily about budgeting as much as it is the desire for materialistic things that bugs me. Maybe if I lived somewhere warm I would consider waiting in line, but I just dont need anything that bad to camp outside a best buy for two days.
vox veritatis

Grand Rapids, MI

#6 Nov 27, 2011
Who wrote:
Absolutely nothing wrong with making your dollar stretch farther, but when people start getting trampled, pepper sprayed, pushed and shoved over a stupid video game, a damn cell phone or whatever it may be - that's pure greed.
I agree that there's something incredibly wrong with that, but if you stop and think about it, is it really greed or is it an expression of the 'me first' mentality that has pervaded our society? The selfish idea that your needs and wants come before everyone else's and you don't care who you have to trample; literally or figuratively, to fulfill those needs? If that is the case, it will take a lot more than aboloshing black Friday to fix; we need to bring back and certain degree of courtesy, selflessness and cooperation that has all but disappeared in this society and I don't see it happening anytime soon since everywhere you turn, the individual is fed that 'me first' message by the media.
Now, where the merchants are in the wrong, IMO, is that not only do they they understand that, they encourage it and promote the kind of thinking that says, "I DESERVE that item...I NEED that item to be truly happy".
He who cannot learn to be content with what he has will never have enough.
Go Blue

West Palm Beach, FL

#7 Dec 1, 2011
vox veritatis wrote:
I understand that point, but $54 billion spent in one day, hardly smaks of such a poor economy, don't you think?
Who

Stockton, CA

#8 Dec 1, 2011
vox veritatis wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree that there's something incredibly wrong with that, but if you stop and think about it, is it really greed or is it an expression of the 'me first' mentality that has pervaded our society? The selfish idea that your needs and wants come before everyone else's and you don't care who you have to trample; literally or figuratively, to fulfill those needs? If that is the case, it will take a lot more than aboloshing black Friday to fix; we need to bring back and certain degree of courtesy, selflessness and cooperation that has all but disappeared in this society and I don't see it happening anytime soon since everywhere you turn, the individual is fed that 'me first' message by the media.
Now, where the merchants are in the wrong, IMO, is that not only do they they understand that, they encourage it and promote the kind of thinking that says, "I DESERVE that item...I NEED that item to be truly happy".
He who cannot learn to be content with what he has will never have enough.
You essentially just described the definition of 'greed'.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wyoming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
College football roundup: Ohio State starts the... (Sep '13) 5 hr Buffalo Bull 1,689
How Liberal Pantywads React To Brain William's ... Sat Oneal 6
TRY IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT: Roof Melt (Jan '08) Fri Snowstruck 69
Attorney's shortchanging of State Bar scuttles ... Thu duh 3
MARVIN unemployment service now online (Jan '09) Feb 24 Pissed 173
Local News Women (Apr '09) Feb 24 Dumbo 2,342
Take the Presidential Competency Quiz Feb 23 DR X 4
Wyoming Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Wyoming People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 8:29 pm PST

Bleacher Report 8:29PM
Latest Lions Free Agency News, Rumors
Bleacher Report 7:18 AM
Best Options to Replace Briggs This Offseason
Bleacher Report11:55 AM
Could Lions Use Round 1 Draft Pick on Running Back to Replace Reggie Bush?
Bleacher Report 1:14 PM
Could Bears Ever Get Fair Trade Value for Forte?
ESPN10:49 AM
Tulloch 'way ahead of schedule' in ACL rehab