Old things and places we remember fro...
ExGRPat

Roswell, GA

#604 Oct 10, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry to hear about your loss and I hope this site does help. You are right about the Comstock Bar, always cheap. My 84 Polks says it was at 3830 Millcreek and the owner was Donald Boot. Swinging Door was at 3838 but it says the owner is Linda Webb. Anthony Lomonaco was the Gen Mgr of Westgate Bowl, I thought the family had something to do with Westgate, I am not sure when they got out of the Swinging Door.
Different branch of the Lomonaco family. CP Lomonaco's owned the Swinging Door up to the mid 70's. Were you ever in Louie's or Nick Fink's.
BkByer

United States

#605 Oct 10, 2009
Granny Smith wrote:
I remember drivin down Monroe Ave. when we used to call it "the line". Talking to people in other cars and turning around in the library parking lot. Who else remembers that?
I remember it! In the 50s it was THE PLACE to go on Monday nights.
I am so nostalgic for the old downtown GR. Worked and lived down there when it was actually safe to walk around at night by myself!
Lived in an apt on Washington SE behind the old museum (so did Betty Ford, but not at the same time) and worked in the Commerce Bldg which was called the Association of Commerce Building back then. Ate burgers at Kewpees on Division and goulash at the old Tarry House on Pearl St. regularly. Also went to Herp's Tea Room and SunSaiGai for great chinese. Alice Jane Dow's was a very upscale women's boutique which I could not afford but enjoyed going in and window shopping before they snobbed me out of there. I can't remember what happened yesterday but I can clearly recall all of that. They say short time is first to go..I believe it.

“friends are forever”

Since: Dec 08

Sparta

#606 Oct 10, 2009
BkByer wrote:
<quoted text>
I am so nostalgic for the old downtown GR. Worked and lived down there when it was actually safe to walk around at night by myself!
Lived in an apt on Washington SE behind the old museum (so did Betty Ford, but not at the same time) and worked in the Commerce Bldg which was called the Association of Commerce Building back then. Ate burgers at Kewpees on Division and goulash at the old Tarry House on Pearl St. regularly. Also went to Herp's Tea Room and SunSaiGai for great chinese. Alice Jane Dow's was a very upscale women's boutique which I could not afford but enjoyed going in and window shopping before they snobbed me out of there. I can't remember what happened yesterday but I can clearly recall all of that. They say short time is first to go..I believe it.
The Sun Sai Gai was the best Chinese food I've ever had! There are some good places now but none have met my taste buds like Sun Sai Gai! They also had the best dinner rolls ever. Their prices were reasonable, too, as we took our 6 kids with us when we went.
Ming Ten is good & so is First Wok but just not as good as the Sun Sai Gai on Division downtown was!
BkByer

United States

#607 Oct 11, 2009
neetermema wrote:
<quoted text>
The Sun Sai Gai was the best Chinese food I've ever had! There are some good places now but none have met my taste buds like Sun Sai Gai! They also had the best dinner rolls ever. Their prices were reasonable, too, as we took our 6 kids with us when we went.
Ming Ten is good & so is First Wok but just not as good as the Sun Sai Gai on Division downtown was!
Agreed! Believe the same owners opened Hong Kong Inn..our fav for many years. There is a place called China Chef in Standale Village Mall that is pretty darn good, too. Love their lemon chicken. Mmmmmmm, hungry for Chinese at 8:45am!

Since: Sep 08

United States

#608 Oct 11, 2009
BkByer wrote:
<quoted text>
Agreed! Believe the same owners opened Hong Kong Inn..our fav for many years. There is a place called China Chef in Standale Village Mall that is pretty darn good, too. Love their lemon chicken. Mmmmmmm, hungry for Chinese at 8:45am!
The Loo family had one of those restaurants, it might have been the one at Cresecent and Division, something Garden maybe.

United States

#609 Oct 11, 2009
ExGRPat wrote:
<quoted text>Different branch of the Lomonaco family. CP Lomonaco's owned the Swinging Door up to the mid 70's. Were you ever in Louie's or Nick Fink's.
I was in both, Finks more. We used to go there on Sunday nights because I don't think the bars were open in GR, you had to go out to Westgate or Finks for some reason.

United States

#610 Oct 11, 2009
BkByer wrote:
<quoted text>
Kewpees became Fables I believe, I spent a lot of time there and at the Butterwagon during my JC days in the early 70s. I do remember the Tarry House, it had entrances on both Pearl and Monroe as I recall. I think know it is Flannagans and the Bulls Head but I am not positive of that. The Knife and Fork was popular too, it was where the Starbucks is in now in the front of the old Pantlind.
Alvin

Grand Rapids, MI

#611 Oct 11, 2009
I remember when there were only a couple small grocery-type stores open on Sunday, one was by the old South High.

United States

#612 Oct 11, 2009
Alvin wrote:
I remember when there were only a couple small grocery-type stores open on Sunday, one was by the old South High.
Meijer was closed, I remember the store on Giddings just south of Hall was opened.
Buckboy

Wyoming, MI

#613 Oct 11, 2009
I liked the Knife & Fork and the Butterwagon. With all the new eating establishments downtown, it'd be nice to have just a plain old diner.
Old Rocker

Attica, OH

#614 Oct 11, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
The Loo family had one of those restaurants, it might have been the one at Cresecent and Division, something Garden maybe.
It was the Tea Garden. I also spent many hours at the Golden 8 Ball on Division while I was going to JC in the late 60's. It cost a buck an hour to play pool.

United States

#615 Oct 11, 2009
Old Rocker wrote:
<quoted text>
It was the Tea Garden. I also spent many hours at the Golden 8 Ball on Division while I was going to JC in the late 60's. It cost a buck an hour to play pool.
I did not spemd much time there but I had some buddies that were there quite a bit. It was where the parking lot is now south of Fountain on the west side of Division.
Global trader

Holland, MI

#616 Oct 11, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
Meijer was closed, I remember the store on Giddings just south of Hall was opened.
That was the Tiny Giant.

United States

#617 Oct 11, 2009
Global trader wrote:
<quoted text>
That was the Tiny Giant.
Still is I think, I just could not think of it earlier.
ExGRPat

Roswell, GA

#618 Oct 11, 2009
neetermema wrote:
<quoted text>
Do you remember the Ho Ho Cafe on Lakedrive in eastown.
ExGRPat

Roswell, GA

#619 Oct 11, 2009
Downtown theaters.... Majestic, Midtown and the Savoy

United States

#620 Oct 12, 2009
ExGRPat wrote:
<quoted text>Do you remember the Ho Ho Cafe on Lakedrive in eastown.
I don't recall that one.

United States

#621 Oct 12, 2009
ExGRPat wrote:
Downtown theaters.... Majestic, Midtown and the Savoy
There were several others that were torn down during so called urban renewal in the 60s. There was also one up on Michigan west of College.
ExGRPat

Roswell, GA

#622 Oct 12, 2009
Cresent Theater at Cresent and Monroe.
Old Rocker

Lowell, MI

#623 Oct 12, 2009
GR Pete wrote:
<quoted text>
I did not spemd much time there but I had some buddies that were there quite a bit. It was where the parking lot is now south of Fountain on the west side of Division.
I believe the building is still there. I'm not sure what's in it now. It is right near where Fountain St. goes East off Division. I guess I will look the next time I go down there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wyoming Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Heavy Snow Leads to Power Outages HOLLAND, MI (... 15 hr District 1 1
News 'The fight is absolutely on' Wed MO_EATS_DUNGS 5
Local News Women (Apr '09) Wed BorculoDad 2,777
News The Latest: Trump calls Election Day 'our Indep... Dec 4 Cuddles6778 284
So glad Hillary is not President Dec 1 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 9
Amway Fireworks (May '09) Nov 29 Amwaysux 88
News WZZM13 - Holland Police looking for non-custodi... (May '07) Nov 27 TRUTH 22

Wyoming Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wyoming Mortgages