More than 1,000 dead birds fall from ...

More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark

There are 10182 comments on the news.yahoo.com story from Jan 2, 2011, titled More than 1,000 dead birds fall from sky in Ark. In it, news.yahoo.com reports that:

BEEBE, Ark. – Wildlife officials are trying to determine what caused more than 1,000 blackbirds to die and fall from the sky over an Arkansas town.

The Arkansas Game and Fish Commission said Saturday that it began receiving reports about the dead birds about 11:30 p.m. the previous night. The birds fell over a 1-mile area of Beebe, and an aerial survey indicated that no other dead birds were found outside of that area.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at news.yahoo.com.

“Conserve Wildlife Habitat”

Since: Dec 10

SE Michigan

#7274 Sep 11, 2012
WARRIOR wrote:
<quoted text>I love how all these tree huggers spout that man is so bad for the planet and it's man that is destroying everything. Yet they won't do anything by ending their own life to help out the planet!
I don't consider myself a "tree-hugger" but it is true man has destroyed alot. I don't think those so-called tree-huggers want to die, nor do they want you to die. They, as I, simply want us to walk a little more softly, so to speak.

I look at it this way: If I'm building a house on ten acres, I don't need to bulldoze all ten acres. That's what's happening in alot of places.

SE Michigan

#7275 Sep 11, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text>Yea another example of the do as I say not do as I do mentality.
I prefer to set an example. I mow as little as possible and maintain natural areas throughout my yard with some trails meandering through. When people come over they are impressed at the variety of birds coming to my feeders and birdbath. I explain WHY I get so many different ones. It hopefully encourages them to protect some of their own habitat.

I did encourage one guy to stop mowing his twenty acres. He now gets all kinds of butterflies and dragonflies, as well as meadowlarks, Bobolinks, Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings. He was thrilled with the changes that have happened in his yard the last time I talked to him. He also likes the fact that he doesn't have to spend one full day each week mowing all summer long.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7276 Sep 11, 2012
Actually, the Ranger said alligators do eat some of the little pythons until they get too big. The damn snakes have very few natural predators in the Everglades except for man that brought them there in the first place. I'm rooting for the human beings.
Churmudgeon

United States

#7277 Sep 11, 2012
Raptor in Michigan wrote:
<quoted text>
I prefer to set an example. I mow as little as possible and maintain natural areas throughout my yard with some trails meandering through. When people come over they are impressed at the variety of birds coming to my feeders and birdbath. I explain WHY I get so many different ones. It hopefully encourages them to protect some of their own habitat.
I did encourage one guy to stop mowing his twenty acres. He now gets all kinds of butterflies and dragonflies, as well as meadowlarks, Bobolinks, Goldfinches and Indigo Buntings. He was thrilled with the changes that have happened in his yard the last time I talked to him. He also likes the fact that he doesn't have to spend one full day each week mowing all summer long.
I dont mow the yard very much. I usually let the livestock graze it. last week I let the Bull and the Ram sheep in the yard. The sheep ate all the folage from a rose bush. Ive got a nanny goat tethered out in the yard today. She is pregnant and I dont want her to hide out where We cant keep an eye on her. If I dont mow or bushog my pastures they become overgrown with weeds and bushes. I let the corners and fence rows become overgrown.

SE Michigan

#7279 Sep 11, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
<quoted text> I dont mow the yard very much. I usually let the livestock graze it. last week I let the Bull and the Ram sheep in the yard. The sheep ate all the folage from a rose bush. Ive got a nanny goat tethered out in the yard today. She is pregnant and I dont want her to hide out where We cant keep an eye on her. If I dont mow or bushog my pastures they become overgrown with weeds and bushes. I let the corners and fence rows become overgrown.
It's good that you at least leave the corners and fence rows. Lots of species use it, I'm sure, even if it's just as a corridor from one patch of woods to another. Secretive species like Catbirds and Towhees like to stay hidden.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7280 Sep 11, 2012
As my neighbor said "rabbit needs a home", but that was because he was too lazy to mow anything!!!!

SE Michigan

#7281 Sep 11, 2012
Old Army wrote:
As my neighbor said "rabbit needs a home", but that was because he was too lazy to mow anything!!!!
If only more people were lazy. I may be in the market for a new home soon. Any homes with large manicured lawns will be out of the question.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7282 Sep 11, 2012
You don't understand, his rabbits had a better home than he did.
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7283 Sep 12, 2012
I mow sometimes twice a week. I have lots of grass. I let it start to seed at times and fire that mower up. The swallows here that mower and they come a flying. I'll have as many as 20 in the air at once flying around me getting the insects and what have you. Then after I'm finished the quail come out and get the grass seed and whtever is left on the ground. Quite a sight!
Dumas911

Haslet, TX

#7284 Sep 12, 2012
Not sure if it's been said or not as I didn't read all 353 pages but this is not the first time this has happened here. It's at least the 3rd time in the last 5 yrs that I'm aware of and it's always been in approximately the same geographical area!

SE Michigan

#7285 Sep 12, 2012
Dumas911 wrote:
Not sure if it's been said or not as I didn't read all 353 pages but this is not the first time this has happened here. It's at least the 3rd time in the last 5 yrs that I'm aware of and it's always been in approximately the same geographical area!
Then it should be relatively easy to find the culprit(s) and make them pay.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7286 Sep 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Then it should be relatively easy to find the culprit(s) and make them pay.
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the black birds.

SE Michigan

#7287 Sep 13, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
I shot the sheriff, but I did not shoot the black birds.
Do you swear it was in self-defense?
WARRIOR

Alamogordo, NM

#7288 Sep 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Do you swear it was in self-defense?
Then who shot the Deputy?
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7289 Sep 13, 2012
Ive been busy I went and moved my bull this morning. and i have been knocking all the barn swallow nest from under the eaves of my house & outbuildings. Ive powerwashed the house. Now I need to repaint the facha & trim. Im glad I have Rock rather than brick or wood. Wood always rots & needs paint. Brick gets old and grows moss and looks like crap. Those rocks look exactly the same as when we cemented them on. I found the hole where the flying squirrl got in. A Woodpecker flicker or something pecked a hole in the gable end. I covered that whole shebang with colored metal like we have on the roof. Maybe he will bend his beak if he tries that again.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7290 Sep 13, 2012
Reminds me of the Arkansas woodpecker that visited his California cousin in the Redwoods. The Arkie peckerwood circled one big tree up and up and up until he finally got to the top. Just as he pecked into the wood a lightning bolt split that old tree in half and knocked the bird flat on his back on the ground. He looked up and said "Its amazing how hard your pecker gets when your 2,000 miles from home".

SE Michigan

#7291 Sep 13, 2012
Churmudgeon wrote:
Ive been busy I went and moved my bull this morning. and i have been knocking all the barn swallow nest from under the eaves of my house & outbuildings. Ive powerwashed the house. Now I need to repaint the facha & trim. Im glad I have Rock rather than brick or wood. Wood always rots & needs paint. Brick gets old and grows moss and looks like crap. Those rocks look exactly the same as when we cemented them on. I found the hole where the flying squirrl got in. A Woodpecker flicker or something pecked a hole in the gable end. I covered that whole shebang with colored metal like we have on the roof. Maybe he will bend his beak if he tries that again.
I hope the woodpecker wasn't in the hole when you plugged it.
Old Army

Vilonia, AR

#7292 Sep 13, 2012
<quoted text>
I hope the woodpecker wasn't in the hole when you plugged it.
It was, he fed it to the cat.

SE Michigan

#7293 Sep 13, 2012
Old Army wrote:
<quoted text>
It was, he fed it to the cat.
Churm doesn't have any living cats.
Churmudgeon

Mountain Home, AR

#7294 Sep 13, 2012
<quoted text>
Churm doesn't have any living cats.
This is true. no live cats anywhere in my vicinity. the pecker wood hole went into the attic. aparently the flying squirrl got into the attic and climed into the house where there is a gap in the celing by the wood flue.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wynne Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Word Game (Oct '10) 7 hr Monroe County Res... 846
4 Word Game (Jun '11) 7 hr Monroe County Res... 15,836
keep a word drop a word game (Jan '12) 7 hr Monroe County Res... 17,736
Wynne library 9 hr And The Answer Is 54
god told cb to destroyy life?y famiy? 9 hr guest 4
How to get her to leave 12 hr Guest 4
Brianna Vanlandingham Hallmark (Jun '11) 12 hr Guest 102
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wynne Mortgages