Pa. teacher claims $46.6M Feb. Powerb...

Pa. teacher claims $46.6M Feb. Powerball jackpot

There are 15 comments on the Public Opinion story from Jun 19, 2009, titled Pa. teacher claims $46.6M Feb. Powerball jackpot. In it, Public Opinion reports that:

A suburban Philadelphia school teacher has become a multi-millionaire. After four months, Palmira Nicolo, of Wyndmoor, Pa., finally came forward Thursday to claim her Powerball jackpot of $46.6 million in cash -- less taxes.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Public Opinion.

Shoulda Became A Teacher

United States

#1 Jun 19, 2009
$87K a year to teach Italian? No wonder taxes are so high!
anon

Monticello, IN

#3 Jun 19, 2009
Shoulda Became A Teacher wrote:
$87K a year to teach Italian? No wonder taxes are so high!
The article says she teaches in NEW JERSEY,- so unless you live in New Jersey quit complaining!
Thatyoursign

Shippensburg, PA

#4 Jun 19, 2009
Shoulda Became A Teacher wrote:
$87K a year to teach Italian? No wonder taxes are so high!
NO, did you notice the teachers job was in New Jersey? That is why the good teachers here leave to go there to teach!
maybe

Monticello, IN

#5 Jun 19, 2009
maybe she'd like to "donate" her winnings to save Scotland School, all you save the school fanatics should work on that!
johniej

Bendersville, PA

#6 Jun 19, 2009
Were you refering to yourself Maybe?
Mystified

Wilmington, DE

#7 Jun 20, 2009
To Shoulda become a teacher:
Get over your jealousy! FYI: Cherry Hill, NJ is a rather lovely area and its residents place a high value on education. That is where the winner works, so you have nothing to say about her salary. You need to do something to extricate yourself from your apparently sad situation and get over your pitiful envy. Maybe you should have become a teacher!
Best of luck to the winner!
Me-again

Danielsville, PA

#8 Jun 20, 2009
Shoulda Became A Teacher wrote:
$87K a year to teach Italian? No wonder taxes are so high!
You could not teach with that grammar. It should be "our" taxes, not are taxes.
My 2 Cents

Mount Gretna, PA

#9 Jun 21, 2009
Well me thinks you dont read so well as "are" is correct ?
Me-again wrote:
<quoted text>
You could not teach with that grammar. It should be "our" taxes, not are taxes.
peckerheads

Carlisle, PA

#10 Jun 21, 2009
bunch of peckerheads
Shoulda Became A Teacher

Roseville, MI

#11 Jun 21, 2009
My 2 Cents wrote:
Well me thinks you dont read so well as "are" is correct ? <quoted text>
My 2 Cents, please understand Me-Again is either dyslexic or cross-eyed. If you are one without the other, you can't always read correctly.

And Me-Again, just in case you want to make a comment about my name, "Shoulda Became A Teacher", I tried to make it "Should Have Become A Teacher," but it exceeded the limit of twenty-five letters.
Shoulda Became A Teacher

Roseville, MI

#12 Jun 21, 2009
Shoulda Became A Teacher wrote:
$87K a year to teach Italian? No wonder taxes are so high!
Well, well, well...I certainly started up a little hornet's nest, didn't I? Oh, what fun it is to get people riled up!!!
There - not here

Indianapolis, IN

#13 Jun 22, 2009
For those who are complaining about taxes going to teacher salaries:
I am a teacher here in the CASD, and I don't even make half the salary as the woman who won the lottery. As a matter of fact, our salary scale doesn't even go up that high, so even if you have a doctoral degree and have been teaching in the distict for 40 years, you still would not make that salary. Also, I do not teach Italian. CASD does not offer Italian. They dropped French this year to try and pinch pennies and save a little money to make ends meet.
Should you wish to complain about the allocation of your tax dollars as far as local education, you need to look elsewhere, such as administrator salaries (most are six-figures or very near, not that I would ever want their lousy jobs) or perhaps the heinous amount of money that it takes to run a school district of this mammoth size with a group of people in charge who know nothing about education or what is even going on in the school system.
Napoleon

Mount Holly Springs, PA

#14 Jun 22, 2009
She got 46.6 Million. LUCKY, gosh!
Shoulda Became A Teacher

United States

#15 Jun 22, 2009
There - not here wrote:
For those who are complaining about taxes going to teacher salaries:
I am a teacher here in the CASD, and I don't even make half the salary as the woman who won the lottery. As a matter of fact, our salary scale doesn't even go up that high, so even if you have a doctoral degree and have been teaching in the distict for 40 years, you still would not make that salary. Also, I do not teach Italian. CASD does not offer Italian. They dropped French this year to try and pinch pennies and save a little money to make ends meet.
Should you wish to complain about the allocation of your tax dollars as far as local education, you need to look elsewhere, such as administrator salaries (most are six-figures or very near, not that I would ever want their lousy jobs) or perhaps the heinous amount of money that it takes to run a school district of this mammoth size with a group of people in charge who know nothing about education or what is even going on in the school system.
I wasn't complaining about local teachers, because they do indeed make only about half what this person is getting paid to teach Italian.$87K is a nice chunk of change, especially when you consider she has the money to probably take annual trips to Italy and then get a tax write-off for educational expenses.
Gruntled

Riverside, NJ

#16 Jun 22, 2009
Teachers cannot deduct travel expenses. Check IRS Publication 970: www.irs.gov/publications/p970/ch12.html

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wyndmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Shutdown divides services into essential and no... 6 hr John McQuan 22
Eagles fans throw beer cans At Vikings fans. 10 hr classofphilly 1
ACME Markets CLOSING many stores (Apr '17) Jan 18 Jim KK Perkins 11
ACME Markets to dump Society Hill store afterall! (Nov '16) Jan 18 BREAKING NEWS 17
News St. Katharine Drexel shrine estate under contra... Jan 17 Gray Ghost 4
News Actually, the most insane thing about 'stable g... Jan 14 Poster Child for ... 2
News Man filmed undressing kids in Dorney Park for 1... (Dec '15) Dec '15 silly rabbit 1

Wyndmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wyndmoor Mortgages