Hearing Impaired vs. Movie Theatres

Hearing Impaired vs. Movie Theatres

Posted in the Wyndmoor Forum

Since: Jun 08

Hanover, PA

#1 Apr 12, 2011
First let me say that I'm partially hearing impaired...I have been doing some research on movie theatres offering the hearing impaired the ability to see a movie when it first comes out in theatres. I have been in contact with the Attorney General who has recieved many complaints from citizens that the movie theatres are discriminating against the hearing impaired. In my talks with the Attorney General, there has been a product that very few movie theatres are using which attaches to the arm of the chair which is inconvenient then the movie theatres that offer the product is telling them that they can view certain movies on certain days and times, because the movie theatres don't want to upset anyone who does not have a hearing disability...this is still a form of discrimination!
What if I told you that I'm currently working on a new product that will make it more convenient for the hearing impaired to see a movie in their movie theatre anytime they want to, would you go see a movie if it offered more Convenience?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject matter.

Since: Jun 08

Hanover, PA

#2 Apr 12, 2011
You can feel free to send me an email at anytime:

[email protected]

george barnett

United States

#3 Apr 26, 2011
Cindy Little wrote:
First let me say that I'm partially hearing impaired...I have been doing some research on movie theatres offering the hearing impaired the ability to see a movie when it first comes out in theatres. I have been in contact with the Attorney General who has recieved many complaints from citizens that the movie theatres are discriminating against the hearing impaired. In my talks with the Attorney General, there has been a product that very few movie theatres are using which attaches to the arm of the chair which is inconvenient then the movie theatres that offer the product is telling them that they can view certain movies on certain days and times, because the movie theatres don't want to upset anyone who does not have a hearing disability...this is still a form of discrimination!
What if I told you that I'm currently working on a new product that will make it more convenient for the hearing impaired to see a movie in their movie theatre anytime they want to, would you go see a movie if it offered more Convenience?
I look forward to hearing your thoughts on this subject matter.
Bush 41 should have vetoed the ADA.The only handicapped issue that should be mandated is wheelchair access;and that should be mandated only because of fire safety issues.Poor hearing,mobility,vision,or 500lb phat should be your problem instead of the business owner's.Deal with it.
ThomasA

Oxford, AL

#4 Apr 26, 2011
Check the "As seen on TV" stores. There are cheap hearing amplifiers (not expensive aids) out there. Check AARP books. It's not he movie theater's problem. Do you demand that McDonald's drive thru people SCREAM back at you???? Didn't think so. Peace!
arnold

Chino Hills, CA

#5 May 3, 2011
george barnett wrote:
<quoted text>Bush 41 should have vetoed the ADA.The only handicapped issue that should be mandated is wheelchair access;and that should be mandated only because of fire safety issues.Poor hearing,mobility,vision,or 500lb phat should be your problem instead of the business owner's.Deal with it.
George How would you feel if it were your mother ? You're a clown !
arnold

Chino Hills, CA

#6 May 3, 2011
ThomasA wrote:
Check the "As seen on TV" stores. There are cheap hearing amplifiers (not expensive aids) out there. Check AARP books. It's not he movie theater's problem. Do you demand that McDonald's drive thru people SCREAM back at you???? Didn't think so. Peace!
The circus has an opening with your name on it ! Do you know the words civil rights????
george barnett

United States

#7 May 4, 2011
arnold wrote:
<quoted text>
George How would you feel if it were your mother ? You're a clown !
Mama can watch closed captioning at home.God given,i.e. natural rights are listed in the Constitution.Using the Federal Government to hammer any business that doesn't fully "accomodate the needs,desires,and whims of the disabled is overkill.I don't want to watch closed captioning at the bottom of the screen when i pay 9 bucks a ticket.
george barnett

United States

#8 May 4, 2011
arnold wrote:
<quoted text>
The circus has an opening with your name on it ! Do you know the words civil rights????
He is right.You have an "entitlement" mentality.I remember one lady suing the airport because she was "entitled" to a wheelchair.The airport had loads of wheelchairs.Unfortunately,thos e wheelchairs couldn't "accomodate" her 600+ pound ass.The ADA has become another lawyers full employment act.
Lauren Puricelli

Odessa, FL

#10 Dec 30, 2011
First off, I would like to say how rude and heartless some of you people are. I was doing research for a movie theater that I can take my mom to so she can understand it. She was diagnosed with GBS which caused her to go deaf at age 54. GEORGE and THOMAS, how unthoughtful and crude you are. Someone being deaf, blind, or having bad mobility isn't their fault. Do you think anyone choses to be that way? You are obviously ignorant to the world and I wish you learn a lesson through this forum that you have nothing better to do. Cindy was simply looking for a way to improve the lives of people who are unable to enjoy things we overlook as a simple choice. I read these comments to my mom and we both agreed that reading closed captioning when u are able to hear is annoying. There could be a way to help the hearing impaired enjoy movies without having everyone have to read subtitles. Cindy asked for opinions and you so rudely attacked her with your idiotic opinions on "fat, blind, deaf, and mobilized people." You make me sick to even think that these cases are their problems and faults. I an angry to waste my time writing this to you cause I doubt u will even understand any of these points You're worthless. Good luck Cindy. You can update me!
TJ-AFR

West Chester, PA

#11 Dec 31, 2011
Wow, some of these insensitive comments amaze me. 5 years ago I may have thought the same, hope not.

I injured my spine (T4-8) in Karbala two years ago. I am thankful to be alive, but I lost use of my legs. Thank God the doctors did great work and I can regain some use over time but it's hard work.

I do rehab since then and now I can walk with crutches very slowly. I need a wheelchair for longer distances. I am embarrassed and ashamed when I am in public to have to use handicapped parking, and rely on people to open doors and things. I am a young man in my early 30's. Do you think when I travel I like being wheeled around to the plane? Maybe I should just stay in my home? That's how I feel. I hate the way people look at me. My wife tells me I am crazy. Some of the comments here support what I think.

I don't expect anyone to change how you think. That is your right to think it and say it. ADA is a tough one. I can tell you I don't go to businesses that I feel can't accommodate me; handicap spots all full, smooth floors that are wet (try relying on crutches on a wet floor), etc. I do think there are some things that must be mandated or just wouldn't be done. Where is the line? I don't know. Just asking people to think about others.

God willing, I may get better enough to use a cane. Yeah, a young guy using a cane. Hoping for stem cell research to someday find a cure for the damage. Until then, I will need to be a burden on some of you. I'm sorry. You give me more reason to push harder in rehab. I don't want sympathy, I just didn't expect a "deal with it" mentality. I am dealing with it. All-day, every-day. I don't expect you to feel bad for me, just don't get mad at me for needing some help.

Cindy, I think there is a technology that is inexpensive. Of she has a hearing aid, there is a sound system that if she sets the hearing aid to "T", it will amplify her hearing. My church uses it. We are a small church, so I know it isn't expensive. It has no impact on anyone else. I'll look for the name of it this Sunday since its printed in the circular.

Sorry for the long post. I have lots of time on my hands now.
Scott Harleman

Whitsett, NC

#12 Feb 6, 2013
I just came across this thread while researching to find out the latest on wireless audio for movie theaters.

Those who are trying to help the hearing-impaired are doing a good thing. Keep it up!

Those who don't want unnecessary legislation to try to somehow make everyone's experience "equal" have very valid points.

TJ-AFR, you post was a breath of fresh air. You recognize that nobody is "wrong". The people raising issues are simply focused on different problems.

The world has a REAL need for people like you, TJ-AFR. Whether you realize it or not, your balanced thinking is EXTREMELY rare and valuable. I hope you are able to put it to use somewhere...in business, politics, social service...because it is your kind of thinking that will change the world for the good.
Robert

Salt Lake City, UT

#13 Mar 2, 2013
I am 64 years old and hard of hearing. I have always enjoyed going to the movies until now. Hearing aids are expensive and require frequent replacement.
What. I would like to see is a national requirement for movie theaters to make available the most up to date hearing devices for viewers; however, I don't think theaters or the general viewing public should have to shoulder the financial burden this might create. Therefore, I would be more than happy to pay the thester a rental fee for such a device.
There is a current small box like device made by Fidelio which allows viewers to plug in their own earphones. This device allows me to hear about 95% of the movie whereas before I could only hear about 20%.
Unless you are hearing impaired, you don't understand the frustration or confinement it creates. I want to be able to go to movies with my wife and enjoy the big screen and live audience experience and I know there are millions of people like me. I'm hoping when someone realizes the potential revenue to be derived from those people like me, the good old American entrepreneurial spirit, driven by profit motive, will kick in and make my life better.
Chad

Eugene, OR

#14 Apr 22, 2013
I don't think that most people realize how expensive it would be for small town theaters to accomadate hearing impaired customers. They are already being forced to buy a new digital projector costing them 35 to 80 thousand dollars. i agree that everyone has rights but do you really want to make small theaters go out of business because of your inconvienence? It just sounds kind of selfish to be honest.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wyndmoor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Jewish Federation ENDORSES Beth Grossman for Ph... 22 hr Lynn Abraham 2
organ harvesting stay alert Oct 15 Sloppy Manhole 3
News Hogar Crea wants OK to treat addicts again (Apr '09) Oct 12 Jennifer 56
Review: GNR Property Management (Dec '12) Oct 10 aaron rodriguez 3
News Man filmed undressing kids in Dorney Park for 1... (Dec '15) Dec '15 silly rabbit 1
Debate: Marijuana - Wyndmoor, PA (Aug '10) Aug '10 Mike 1
News Pa. state trooper is charged with drunken driving (Jan '10) Jan '10 Answer Man 2

Wyndmoor Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wyndmoor Mortgages