Tax dollars for homeless soccer???

Tax dollars for homeless soccer???

Posted in the Wylie Forum

Angry American

Denton, TX

#1 Aug 11, 2007
Homeless soccer? Are you kidding me? Athletes?

This is the dumbest thing I've ever heard of. I haven't been in good enough shape to play soccer in 20 years, but I'm still able to work full time. Who paid for 500 homeless people to fly to Denmark and stay in hotels so they can play soccer? And if these able-bodied "athletes" can play soccer, why can't they get a job in the first place?

Ellen Ratner blames their homelessness on bad luck? How about bad choices? She says the homeless in the U.S. don't have opportunity? Has anyone informed Ellen that this is the land of opportunity?

The next time one of my kids asks me what a
Matt

New York, NY

#2 Sep 2, 2007
Its quite obvious you have spent no time with the homeless community in this country. Its time you opened your eyes. For some, it may have been about bad choices, but for most others, its about the sad state of poverty much of America is faced with. If you haven't noticed, your taxpayer dollars are doing very little to help the homeless situation. It's not all about throwing money at a situation with the hopes it goes away. Its about trying to find something to empower a population that has been forgotten by mainstream society. Soccer has done this for thousands. 77% of those involved in the Homeless World Cup then move forward with their life, with a new-found sense of accomplishment and empowerment. This is one of the best homeless outreach programs out there right now. So I say, take a step back and re-think you views and open your eyes and your heart.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wylie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Garland Soccer (Mar '15) Mar 25 Soapboxmom 47
Looking for my brother who i havent seen since ... Mar 23 Dmt 1
Cooper Junior High ( Coach Adams ) (May '15) Feb '17 WHS 2
Roofer Jan '17 Angie 2
News Kraft's salad dressing fix: Shake up well (Feb '08) Jan '17 Toby 54
News Ex-officer admits several scams (Dec '06) Jan '17 Victim 175
Loan Sharks Dec '16 wondering 2

Wylie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance