Churches carry Sexual Abuse Insurance...

Churches carry Sexual Abuse Insurance (Sick)

Posted in the Wylie Forum

Jeff Stepford

Wylie, TX

#1 Jul 16, 2007
The deal settles all 508 cases that remained against the archdiocese, which also paid $60 million in December to settle 45 cases that weren't covered by sexual abuse insurance.

The archdiocese will pay $250 million, insurance carriers will pay a combined $227 million and several religious orders will chip in $60 million. The remaining $123 million will come from litigation with religious orders that chose not to participate in the deal, with the archdiocese guaranteeing resolution of those 80 to 100 cases within five years, Hennigan said. The archdiocese is released from liability in those claims, said Tod Tamberg, church spokesman.

The settlements push the total amount paid out by the U.S. church since 1950 to more than $2 billion, with about a quarter of that coming from the Los Angeles archdiocese.

Previously, the Los Angeles archdiocese, its insurers and various Roman Catholic orders had paid more than $114 million to settle 86 claims. Several religious orders in California have also reached multimillion-dollar settlements in recent months, including the Carmelites, the Franciscans and the Jesuits.

Parishioners reacted with a mix of disappointment and relief to the latest settlement.

Vivian Viscarra, 50, who attends Mass at the Cathedral of Our Lady of the Angels, said the victims deserve the payout even though it could hurt the church's ability to deliver important services.

"It's making me reevaluate my views of whether people in the ministry should be married. People do have needs," she said.

LADY Married or not...Child Molesters are JUST THAT!!! Child molesters..You Make me sick.
TNkris

AOL

#2 Jul 19, 2007
i think it's absolutely disgusting...
to late now

Denton, TX

#3 Jul 21, 2007
what happened to parents looking out for their kids, i have a 4 year old and be damded if any of these sick bastards come close to my kid

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wylie Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Garland Soccer (Mar '15) Aug '17 IntheNewsAgain 49
Sachse Assistant Principal Arrested For DUI....... (Dec '16) Jun '17 Zin 3
News BREAKING NEWS: Officer-Involved Shooting Report... (Sep '08) Jun '17 Joseph Watson 23
I was arrested in Wylie for having Pepper Spray! (Aug '09) Jun '17 Check-uh-Ho 42
Review: Blue Moon AC & Heat Installation (Feb '13) May '17 Anon 2
Cooper Junior High ( Coach Adams ) (May '15) Feb '17 WHS 2
Roofer (Jan '17) Jan '17 Angie 2

Wylie Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wylie Mortgages