Wyandanch administrators face fight t...

Wyandanch administrators face fight to save their jobs

There are 45 comments on the Newsday story from Sep 3, 2008, titled Wyandanch administrators face fight to save their jobs. In it, Newsday reports that:

Wyandanch administrators seemed to be on a roll last winter, after the district's Milton L. Olive Middle School boosted its test scores enough to win removal from the state's list of lowest-achieving schools.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Stephen

Albany, NY

#1 Sep 4, 2008
We do wish they would go away, but that doesn't mean we're not willing to do something about it.
tired of it

Andover, NJ

#2 Sep 4, 2008
Yes it is the teachers responsibility to teach HOWEVER, with the work ethic of Parents in this area as well as some failing districts in teh city, you cannot expect miracles.
I don't have an answer but if a kid walsk home from school to a house of lazy Welfare receiving parents, where's his guidance that he needs to do better? His folks are getting by on Welfare and that's fine with the Student. No reason to do better. Can't dump it all on the Education system, they can't control Family Lifestyle.

“Vote Republican”

Since: Aug 08

Wyandanch, NY

#3 Sep 4, 2008
tired of it wrote:
Yes it is the teachers responsibility to teach HOWEVER, with the work ethic of Parents in this area as well as some failing districts in teh city, you cannot expect miracles.
I don't have an answer but if a kid walsk home from school to a house of lazy Welfare receiving parents, where's his guidance that he needs to do better? His folks are getting by on Welfare and that's fine with the Student. No reason to do better. Can't dump it all on the Education system, they can't control Family Lifestyle.
Those comments were totally unfair and offensive. We all share in the responsibility of failing and succeeding schools. I assume you have some statistics you could point me toward that support your claim that “…if a kid walsk home from school to a house of lazy Welfare receiving parents…” they will not succeed. I also assume you have some statistics that support your demographic claim that these children go home to welfare recipients. I am a product of the welfare system, a product of Wyandanch, but I now have a Ph.D, moy brother has a Masters, and another brother in an engineer. I succeeded because I had people around me who cared about my success in my ‘entire’ community. As far as I know, I was the only one in my group of friends who struggled financially. As children, it would have been difficult for me to assess. But, I recall every one of my childhood friends in Wyandanch came from stable homes; two-parent households, single income earners (Mothers stayed home), home owners, and working-class folks. And, each of their children are now married (traditionally), college graduates and home-owners too. Some are engineers, a few are school teachers, some are in banking, and one joined the service defending your right to spew ignorance.

So,“the work ethic of Parents” in Wyandanch seemed fine. I recall having wonderful caring teachers and administrators. I’m not naïve; I understand that socio-economic circumstances play a large roll in a child’s success in school. But, it is not the only factor. Please read “Savage Inequalities” if you care for a more coherent perspective on children who are products of districts like Wyandanch. We can succeed and I know many who have.

This does not suggest that Wyandanch is not without their problems. There is a larger collection of economically deprived persons residing there, which is understood. It is also understood that poorer people tend to have fewer successes in the classroom. And, MLO administrators should not be bragging “We’re not the worst”.

The greatest problem in our schools is that the brightest teachers are in industry for varying reasons. The salaries cannot compete, the environment can be a great challenge, and summers off is not enough of an incentive to get the most intellectually gisted to the front of the classroom.

So, I recall a collection of parents who took a special interest me as well as their own children. Do not make assumptions about the parents of Wyandanch. Do not make assumptions about our work ethic. Do not assume that all are on welfare without providing statistics that demonstrate otherwise. Finally, it is the objective of any decent parent for their children to do better than themselves. I agree you cannot blame it all on education. Lifestyle choices do influence (but not dictates) a child’s success. I take exception to your assumption about the few families who make poor choices and they get to be a reflection of the whole.

“Eye Smell a Huckster in NH”

Since: May 08

Needham, MA

#4 Sep 4, 2008
Newsday just recently listed spending per pupil per student. Wyandanch was somewhere around $30K.

I wonder how much more "investment" is needed. Perhaps they need a community organizer to improve the performance.
Mike

Brooklyn, NY

#5 Sep 4, 2008
Three cheers for the Wyandanch School Board for having the courage to stand up and do the right thing! Let's hope that school boards all across Long Island can show the same kind of guts and fight these horribly bloated bureaucracies which are killing us.

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#6 Sep 4, 2008
Wilhelm Canaris Ghost wrote:
Newsday just recently listed spending per pupil per student. Wyandanch was somewhere around $30K.
I wonder how much more "investment" is needed. Perhaps they need a community organizer to improve the performance.
I am less concerned about ‘how much’ per student than I am about 'how' the money is spent per student. If it is going toward bloated administrative salaries, then you will hear my objections. But, if it is going toward truly 'talented' well educated faculty, then I am fine. Less programs and more instruction. It is a shame, but it costs money to fight ignorance.

I would be interested in seeing the Newsday figures. Could you point me to a link, please?
KEVIN CAMELOT

Brooklyn, NY

#7 Sep 4, 2008
the best thing that ever happened to wyandanch school system is the election of DENISE BAINES.
it has been my honor to have worked with her on numerous occasions involving programs to better the quality of education for the children of wyandanch.
as for the ignorent people who find it nessasary to berate the parents of these children posess not one iota of a fact to back up their blanket statements.
i have found in my dealings with the parents of wyandanch students that most of them are hard working people working two jobs to make ends meet just like the rest of us long islanders
i am not as naive to say that there are not welfare families in wyandanch but i defy anyone to say that there is ANY town on long island without welfare recipients. agreed some more than others
now back to the subject at hand
miss baines has fought hard to gather support to effect change in the balance of power on the board .with the support of community and church leaders of wyandanch she has finally assembled the right board members whose only agenda is the betterment of wyandanch schools.
now that she has succeeded in her task she will now be able to truly allow the board to stand up those who used their position on the board for their own personel gain
the jobs she is eliminating will bring monies back to the schools and were fabricated meaningless jobs given to freinds and family members of un-named in the past.
so i say kudos to you denise baines on a well fought fight and you may count on my support in the future
afterall you get it you really get it
"ITS ALL ABOUT THE CHILDREN"
Concerned Taxpayer

Norwalk, CT

#8 Sep 4, 2008
As a concerned taxpayer in the Wyandanch community, and an educator on Long Island, I am so pleased with the decision to remove those people who are not producing. The community is tired of watching individuals collect paychecks for practicing educational "malpractice" with our children.

No other district would allow people to remain in positions that they are not highly qualified to hold, or are not yielding productive and positive results. If these administrators are any good, they will have no problem securing a position in another district. The problem is that they know that they would not be considered qualified candidates in many other districts because of the "academic state" of the Wyandanch UFSD and their own performance, or lack of performance, in their administrative position.

It is terrible that the district is not only operating with a three million dollar deficit, but that Wyandanch is also the lowest performing school district in Suffolk county, and probably on Long Island. I don't think that it should stop at Central Administration--if building level administrators are not producing, they should pack their bags too. If teachers are not producing, they should be given their walking papers.

As a taxpayer who does not have any children in the district at this time, I could very easily vote "NO" on the budget. However, as an educator, I realize that the children are not the ones who should be punished for the unprofessional and shameful acts of the adults who work for the district. Instead, I vote "YES," with the hope and sentiment that the Board of Education will continue to do what is in the best interest of our children and our community.

Therefore, KUDOS to the Board of Education members who supported and initiated the change. Shame on those who really think that what they have in place is working. In case anyone did not know, the scores in the paper were reflective of what test scores looked like ten years ago, before districts even began to address the results with plans and initiatives to improve student perfomance.

Therefore, to those who have the thought that you don't try to fix it if it is not broken, I have a newsflash for you...."IT'S BROKEN!"
KEVIN CAMELOT

Brooklyn, NY

#9 Sep 4, 2008
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>
Those comments were totally unfair and offensive. We all share in the responsibility of failing and succeeding schools. I assume you have some statistics you could point me toward that support your claim that “…if a kid walsk home from school to a house of lazy Welfare receiving parents…” they will not succeed. I also assume you have some statistics that support your demographic claim that these children go home to welfare recipients. I am a product of the welfare system, a product of Wyandanch, but I now have a Ph.D, moy brother has a Masters, and another brother in an engineer. I succeeded because I had people around me who cared about my success in my ‘entire’ community. As far as I know, I was the only one in my group of friends who struggled financially. As children, it would have been difficult for me to assess. But, I recall every one of my childhood friends in Wyandanch came from stable homes; two-parent households, single income earners (Mothers stayed home), home owners, and working-class folks. And, each of their children are now married (traditionally), college graduates and home-owners too. Some are engineers, a few are school teachers, some are in banking, and one joined the service defending your right to spew ignorance.
So,“the work ethic of Parents” in Wyandanch seemed fine. I recall having wonderful caring teachers and administrators. I’m not naïve; I understand that socio-economic circumstances play a large roll in a child’s success in school. But, it is not the only factor. Please read “Savage Inequalities” if you care for a more coherent perspective on children who are products of districts like Wyandanch. We can succeed and I know many who have.
This does not suggest that Wyandanch is not without their problems. There is a larger collection of economically deprived persons residing there, which is understood. It is also understood that poorer people tend to have fewer successes in the classroom. And, MLO administrators should not be bragging “We’re not the worst”.
The greatest problem in our schools is that the brightest teachers are in industry for varying reasons. The salaries cannot compete, the environment can be a great challenge, and summers off is not enough of an incentive to get the most intellectually gisted to the front of the classroom.
So, I recall a collection of parents who took a special interest me as well as their own children. Do not make assumptions about the parents of Wyandanch. Do not make assumptions about our work ethic. Do not assume that all are on welfare without providing statistics that demonstrate otherwise. Finally, it is the objective of any decent parent for their children to do better than themselves. I agree you cannot blame it all on education. Lifestyle choices do influence (but not dictates) a child’s success. I take exception to your assumption about the few families who make poor choices and they get to be a reflection of the whole.
AMEN BROTHER

“Eye Smell a Huckster in NH”

Since: May 08

Needham, MA

#10 Sep 4, 2008
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>
I am less concerned about ‘how much’ per student than I am about 'how' the money is spent per student. If it is going toward bloated administrative salaries, then you will hear my objections. But, if it is going toward truly 'talented' well educated faculty, then I am fine. Less programs and more instruction. It is a shame, but it costs money to fight ignorance.
I would be interested in seeing the Newsday figures. Could you point me to a link, please?
I'll try to find it. The story is probably still active on these Topix links, though.

Administrative salaries are important, but even if there are too many, overpaid administrators, like most LI districts have, the bulk of salaries and benefits go to teachers. That is where the headcount is.
fotoguy

Hartsdale, NY

#11 Sep 5, 2008
Yep, blame it on the schools. The parents nor the kids in many cases don't care. Many have no interest in learning, but wait, it's the school's fault. Give me a break. Take a look at Wyndanch's Public Library book lending rate compared to others. It's low, low, low. Wait, there must be an excuse for that as well

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#12 Sep 5, 2008
fotoguy wrote:
Yep, blame it on the schools. The parents nor the kids in many cases don't care. Many have no interest in learning, but wait, it's the school's fault. Give me a break. Take a look at Wyndanch's Public Library book lending rate compared to others. It's low, low, low. Wait, there must be an excuse for that as well
I am not sure if your post was directed toward me. So, if you do not mind, allow me to respond.

I only asked that people who complain should back them up with facts and statistics. This is not to suggest that there is not enough blame to go around. The greatest influencing factor for a child’s success is his/her parents. Parents! Let’s face it. Two-parent households are generally better than single parent households. Middle-class families tend to be better off than working class families. And, working class families tend to be better off than families that sit on their butt’s. So, in short, the parents are the most culpable when discussing who should take blame for a child’s failure to succeed in school.

But, that does not mean that there are ‘some’ administrative issues that need to be addressed with the faculty and staff.

Fotoguy, I assume you have documentation that demonstrates that Wyandanch students borrow less than their counterparts in neighboring districts? And, do you know if the wide dichotomy is because the need to borrow is based on the faculty creating assignments that require a student borrow books or not?

I am not making excuses for Wyandanch’s failures. I want to offer suggestions for improvement. Rather than stating “the kids in many cases don't care”. With that defeating attitude; you are right, they will not care. Wyandanch has plenty of problems, but turning your back on them will not improve the quality of life for you or them.
fotoguy

Hartsdale, NY

#13 Sep 6, 2008
I Hate Syracuse wrote:
<quoted text>
I am not sure if your post was directed toward me. So, if you do not mind, allow me to respond.
I only asked that people who complain should back them up with facts and statistics. This is not to suggest that there is not enough blame to go around. The greatest influencing factor for a child’s success is his/her parents. Parents! Let’s face it. Two-parent households are generally better than single parent households. Middle-class families tend to be better off than working class families. And, working class families tend to be better off than families that sit on their butt’s. So, in short, the parents are the most culpable when discussing who should take blame for a child’s failure to succeed in school.
But, that does not mean that there are ‘some’ administrative issues that need to be addressed with the faculty and staff.
Fotoguy, I assume you have documentation that demonstrates that Wyandanch students borrow less than their counterparts in neighboring districts? And, do you know if the wide dichotomy is because the need to borrow is based on the faculty creating assignments that require a student borrow books or not?
I am not making excuses for Wyandanch’s failures. I want to offer suggestions for improvement. Rather than stating “the kids in many cases don't care”. With that defeating attitude; you are right, they will not care. Wyandanch has plenty of problems, but turning your back on them will not improve the quality of life for you or them.
No, it was not directed toward you
Taryn McKinney

Clear Spring, MD

#14 Sep 6, 2008
Wyandanch gheto trash hell hole.
Taryn McKinney

Clear Spring, MD

#15 Sep 6, 2008
Wyandanch the arm pit of america

The Gang gheto trash zone. If you want to be shot or killed just step foot into Wyandanch.
KEVIN CAMELOT

Brooklyn, NY

#16 Sep 6, 2008
Taryn McKinney wrote:
Wyandanch the arm pit of america
The Gang gheto trash zone. If you want to be shot or killed just step foot into Wyandanch.
i think it is hilarious that while you are commenting on an education issue you are to stupid to spell"GHETTO"
and dont give me that typo bs because you do it constantly ya dope ya
maybe its time for you to enroll in a remedial reading class einstein
lmfao!!!!!hahahahahahah
Jim Dooley

Clear Spring, MD

#17 Sep 6, 2008
Wyandanch the gheto trash of LI, hell hole. Keep shooting each other in Da gheto.

“Vote Republican”

Wyandanch, NY

#18 Sep 6, 2008
Why the anger toward Wyandanch? Why not offer solutions for improvement rather than make disparaging comments and useless commentary?
Blabber Mouth

Clear Spring, MD

#19 Sep 6, 2008
Wyandanch is ghetto hell hole if you want to get shoot and killed. Nothing but crack, hookers, wellfare, and crime in Wyandanch.
Blabber Mouth

Clear Spring, MD

#20 Sep 6, 2008
Wyandanch ghetto trash.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wyandanch Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 4 hr Bruser 8,261
News Islip residents angry over new rules at Atlanti... Wed Baker 5
News Angie Carpenter, Islip supervisor, optimistic a... (May '15) Wed true independent 20
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) Wed Bruser 2,622
If you haven't heard about this, it is because ... (Jun '08) Wed LindyGrad2001 2
Who Exactly Should Be Allowed To Live In Linden... Wed LindyGrad2001 1
Review: Goccia D'Oro Restaurant (Oct '09) Wed LindyGrad2001 5
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wyandanch Mortgages