1 Million Pounds of Beef Recalled

Full story: WXIA Atlanta

WASHINGTON -- The giant agribusiness company Cargill Inc. said Saturday it is recalling more than 1 million pounds of ground beef that may be contaminated with E. coli bacteria.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Nov 3, 2007
Jackie

Guys Mills, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

What is this world coming too!
dim bulb1

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

A few suggestions:

1) Invest in a relatively inexpensive deep freezer;

2) Buy freshly ground meat from REPUTABLE grocers, repackage it yourself in zip-lock or (also relatively inexpensive) vacuum sealer packaging, WITH the date and the store from which you purchased it;

3) Put the meat in your freezer and don't use it right away (just in case there IS a recall);

4) Don't buy pre-formed, frozen ground meat (Seriously! Forget the perceived "convenience"! It takes only a few hours to thaw the 'freshly ground meat' you purchased from your local grocer in your fridge and only a couple of minutes to form your own patties).

In short - buy fresh meat (well ahead of the time you plan to you use it) and freeze it! If you buy meat from reputable grocers, in bulk, and freeze it, you'll not only save a few bucks, but you're more likely to hear of recalls long before your family consumes it!

I, too, have a very full and hectic life -- but taking a few minutes to carefully prepare my food - versus possible days in the hospital (or worse)?.... well, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out ....
nan

Macon, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

with all the problems coming from these business,, it seems that some may be disgruntle employees..
Frank

Raleigh, NC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

dim bulb1 wrote:
A few suggestions:
1) Invest in a relatively inexpensive deep freezer;
2) Buy freshly ground meat from REPUTABLE grocers, repackage it yourself in zip-lock or (also relatively inexpensive) vacuum sealer packaging, WITH the date and the store from which you purchased it;
3) Put the meat in your freezer and don't use it right away (just in case there IS a recall);
4) Don't buy pre-formed, frozen ground meat (Seriously! Forget the perceived "convenience"! It takes only a few hours to thaw the 'freshly ground meat' you purchased from your local grocer in your fridge and only a couple of minutes to form your own patties).
In short - buy fresh meat (well ahead of the time you plan to you use it) and freeze it! If you buy meat from reputable grocers, in bulk, and freeze it, you'll not only save a few bucks, but you're more likely to hear of recalls long before your family consumes it!
I, too, have a very full and hectic life -- but taking a few minutes to carefully prepare my food - versus possible days in the hospital (or worse)?.... well, it doesn't take a genius to figure it out ....
These are all good ideas, however, e-coli is not from mishandling or storage is come from the intestines of an infected cow. The problem is in the processing and butchering stage of the meat. Even if you get fresh meat from the local butcher and the meat has come in contact with improper processing, E-Coli is still possible.
dim bulb1

Lawrenceville, GA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

Exactly my point, Frank. It may sound like possibly throwing $$ down the drain, BUT my point is this: Buy from reputable grocers, buy in bulk, divide and freeze the meat well ahead of time, date and write the vendor's name on the package, and (unfortunately we MUST do this) watch for recalls!

Most of the recalled meat seems to be prevalantly from prepackaged, preformed meat.

Make an conscious effort to TRY to provide your family with safe food. Most grocers (i.e. providers of "fresh meat") alert the public very quickly of possible problems, whereas the prepackaging distributors don't have a clue there's a problem until MUCH MUCH later on.

All we can do is do the best we can. I have tried to give my pointers and look for other and better pointers!

“As Seen on the Internet!”

Since: Aug 07

Atlanta, Ga

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 3, 2007

I buy no beef veggie patties and ground veggie beef. they are safe as well! Tastes just like beef, less grease and fat!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wyalusing Discussions

Search the Wyalusing Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
PA Who do you support for Governor in Pennsylvania... (Oct '10) Mon T Wolf 51,196
PA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Pennsylva... (Oct '10) Mon Eddie Swindell 3,824
Laceyville officer reinstated, on probation Jul 3 A Gun Shop Owner 1
Rock band buys land to build Allentown music venue Mar '14 silly rabbit 1
BobLantz Mar '14 Anita 1
Pa. man faces over 5,100 charges in rape, drug ... (Jan '14) Mar '14 Teddy 2
Nis Prepares To Shine in Jubilee Year (Nov '12) Feb '14 sergej_lavrov10 47
•••
•••
•••
•••

Wyalusing Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000