Investing in education and our community

Investing in education and our community

There are 3 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Feb 11, 2011, titled Investing in education and our community. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Amid the recent furor surrounding Yale law professor Amy Chua's article on the merits of the "Tiger Mom" approach to child rearing, I heard an interesting commentary from Washington, D.C.'s former school chancellor, Michelle Rhee.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

Working in Health Care

Roxbury, PA

#1 Feb 24, 2011
Great editorial! Education is an investment in human capital. We need to make education more affordable so we can efficiently develop and manufacture products that exceed the quality manufactured in China, Korea and India today.
Just Joe

Mount Laurel, NJ

#2 Feb 24, 2011
First, I would hardly call spending on education and "investment", unless you are in the field and they money goes into your pension plan. And I also take exception to the so-called "top universities". For one thing, Ivy league schools guarantee full academic aid to all those who are admitted. Secondly, most students should go to schools close to home where they can better afford and education. When you look at the most sucessful people in this country, most did not go to "top" schools. Most just worked harder than the next guy.
Working in Health Care

Roxbury, PA

#3 Feb 24, 2011
Just Joe wrote:
First, I would hardly call spending on education and "investment", unless you are in the field and they money goes into your pension plan. And I also take exception to the so-called "top universities". For one thing, Ivy league schools guarantee full academic aid to all those who are admitted. Secondly, most students should go to schools close to home where they can better afford and education. When you look at the most sucessful people in this country, most did not go to "top" schools. Most just worked harder than the next guy.
We can agree to disagree. By investing in my human capital, I am able to work in a profession which allows me to earn a decent living. My spouse invested in his/her human capital so he/she could earn a decent living. We increased our family income by obtaining skills acquired in college. Our family saved from our children's births so they can attend undergraduate school and hopefully avoid student loans. And, we closely looked at final costs after scholarships.

Yes, I agree with you that most successful people became successful by working harder than the next guy. Working harder starts in high school by working towards scholarships or saving money for college tuition. People also become successful by working smarter. Exposure to ideas to work smarter can come from many sources: great mentors, ability to reason and think critically, experiences outside the classroom, and theories, literature, and experiences obtained while attending college.

And, I respectfully ask you to explain what you mean by "unless you are in the field and they money goes into your pension plan." I do not fully understand what you are trying to say. Very Truly Yours, Working in Health Care

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wrightsville Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stacy Holliday-White Jun 29 sum1 1
News Timely reminder: Don't touch! Video shows museu... Jun '16 greymouser 5
News PPL unveils rebate program to reduce peak elect... (May '11) Jun '16 Blorgon 3
Moving to Columbia (Jul '14) May '16 Anonymous 3
News Man begins serving prison sentence (Apr '09) Apr '16 Yourmom90 4
News Undercover prostitution sting nets 10 arrests (Oct '10) Jan '16 Putin 7
News Dog thrown from moving vehicle in Harrisburg (Mar '11) Jan '16 Putin 10

Wrightsville Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wrightsville Mortgages