The Sound of Silence

The Sound of Silence

There are 7 comments on the Texarkana Gazette story from Mar 22, 2009, titled The Sound of Silence. In it, Texarkana Gazette reports that:

WRIGHT CITY, Okla.-The American Dream changed here Tuesday with the silence of the saws at the Weyerhaeuser lumber mill.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Texarkana Gazette.

GregoryDH

Clarksville, TX

#1 Mar 24, 2009
"wright city is my home town,it's were i grew up,i graduated from high school in 1982, and,landed a job at weyerhaeuser the same year. I was employed there for 26yrs, i thank GOD for giving me the skills to do the job that i did there for the years i worked .''To the people of WRIGHT CITY,'May GOD pour out a blessing upon you all.
time traveler

Dallas, TX

#2 Mar 24, 2009
G. the people of W.C. are going to need all the blessings they can get, Weyco sure never gave them none== will every one be able to get their Weyco retirement.
GregoryDH

Clarksville, TX

#3 Mar 24, 2009
time traveler wrote:
G. the people of W.C. are going to need all the blessings they can get, Weyco sure never gave them none== will every one be able to get their Weyco retirement.
I agree time traveler, wc will indeed need more than just a blessing, and, on the retirement,'YES.
Cooper Tire

United States

#4 Mar 26, 2009
Hello to any former Weyerhaeuser employees. Cooper Tire and Rubber Company in Texarkana, AR is currently hiring for a number of skilled trade positions. We welcome anyone who has just been told they might be laid off.
Please review the jobs and apply online at:
www.coopertire.appone.com
Thanks!
Becky

Wister, OK

#5 May 8, 2009
I just recently went back to Wright City for a visit after leaving there when I was 11 years old. I am now 39 and I was heart broken to see the mill had shut down. Thats where i rememeber my dad worked, went on strike on a picket line and it holds most of my childhood memories. May god bless each town member during this hard time. I now live in Lawton and canot begin to imagine how the town will survive at this point but my thoughts and prayers are with them.
just passing by

Mabank, TX

#6 May 11, 2009
I guess WEYCO made one heck of a profit out of the land that they bought from Dierks . Now that big forest id gone and looks as if it had a bomb explode in a lot of places as it looks so bare. Have heard that the hunters and fishermen have been locked off the land we used to hunt on for years. Guess that is over unless you get a lease. Times do change as do company policies. But the mill is gone along with the good times on that land I reckon. Now the mill is gone also .
just passing by

Mabank, TX

#7 May 11, 2009
Do they have plans to move the mill or does anyone know.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wright City Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Kimberly Coppola 7 hr Jsn 3
White Hummer 16 hr Concerned Citizen 3
Tracie Ellis (May '10) Thu Futurenoticeexpired 9
Allen Clay (Sep '15) Thu HookMeUpBaby 4
Robert Snow Thu Okie 1
Superior wheel tire Jun 21 jethro 4
Jeff Rabon FIRED (Apr '15) Jun 20 Beat-Down 14

Wright City Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance