First Prev
of 2
Next Last
gadeerhunter

North Augusta, SC

#1 Aug 14, 2007
I was told that the old house down at Omaha Springs in the 1800's was a very nice hotel. does anyone know the history about this or can anyone tell me where to find any imformation about this please contact me at [email protected] thanks
angusbigmama

United States

#2 Oct 7, 2007
About Omaha Springs, If I were you I think I would go to the Court house in Louisville too the records Dept. I'm sure that they can help you find what ever you're looking for.
MRLITTLE

United States

#3 Oct 27, 2007
I LIVE AT THE HOUSE AND PLAY AT THE SPRING IN AVERA, GA FOR MORE THAN 3 YEARS. MY MOTHER RASIED PIGS, CHICKEN, AND DUCK ON THE LAND. THERE WAS WINE CELLAR ON THE BASEMENT FLOOR, WHICH STILL HAD WINE IN THE WOODEN BARRIER. IF YOU LITLE TO TALK TO ME ON THIS MATTER PLEASE E-MAIL ME AT [email protected]
Dink

United States

#4 Mar 5, 2009
gadeerhunter wrote:
I was told that the old house down at Omaha Springs in the 1800's was a very nice hotel. does anyone know the history about this or can anyone tell me where to find any imformation about this please contact me at [email protected] thanks
My Uncle lives there.It is such a great place,its beautiful..........
rose

Evans, GA

#5 Sep 27, 2009
a magical place/many childhood memories! enjoyed many picnics there - we'd put a watermelon in the stream to chill,as we got there, then later caught up with it again where it had drifted/rolled around the bend & was by then ICE COLD and ready!
candace

Commerce, GA

#6 Oct 26, 2009
Omaha Springs is jointly owned by the Williams family of Avera, GA, and a kaolin co. I am related to the Williams famiy. I'm very interested in getting it designated on the n'tl. register for historic places and save it from development by the kaolin co. It is an important Jeff. Co. landmark. It was est. by Dr. Williams and his sister, Oma Williams, as a hospital. Later, as mineral springs came into favor, it became a hotel. Folks would take the train to Avera and then be picked up to go to the hotel. The spring water is still wonderful. Let us not lose this treasure!
Jenn

United States

#7 Aug 3, 2010
Please.. E-mail me [email protected]
I have visited the springs many times in the 70's early 80's
It really needs to be a Landmark, SAVED from the chalk company. I've just recently heard about what they are trying to do.
Thanks,
Jenn
candace wrote:
Omaha Springs is jointly owned by the Williams family of Avera, GA, and a kaolin co. I am related to the Williams famiy. I'm very interested in getting it designated on the n'tl. register for historic places and save it from development by the kaolin co. It is an important Jeff. Co. landmark. It was est. by Dr. Williams and his sister, Oma Williams, as a hospital. Later, as mineral springs came into favor, it became a hotel. Folks would take the train to Avera and then be picked up to go to the hotel. The spring water is still wonderful. Let us not lose this treasure!
watching

Chicago, IL

#9 Sep 30, 2010
I heard it wasn't that nice.
watching

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 30, 2010
Others say it's great
greg livengood

Perry, GA

#11 Nov 2, 2010
my cousins and i grew up playing in that spring. best water you ever drank. it would be a shame to see it destroyed
Jill

Sarasota, FL

#12 Jun 12, 2011
My family and I went to the springs every summer when I was young. We loved every minute of it! It certainly isn't a "resort" in the present sense, but natural beauty nonetheless. It would be a true shame to lose this Rural Georgia landmark to development.
T DAWSON

United States

#13 Jun 22, 2011
Mr. Speaky Stephen of Wrens, Georgia has a world of historical information on Omaha Springs. He is a very elderly gentleman so one would need to contact him without delay, but he would be the one to talk to about getting it on a historic register.
Linda

AOL

#14 Jun 25, 2011
Hi, I want more info on Omaha Springs History Please. Do you know if I can still go to the springs and dip my feet in the cold springs? I think I even forgot how to go there from Wrens. It's been twenty seven years since I have been there. Thank You. Linda [email protected]
T DAWSON wrote:
Mr. Speaky Stephen of Wrens, Georgia has a world of historical information on Omaha Springs. He is a very elderly gentleman so one would need to contact him without delay, but he would be the one to talk to about getting it on a historic register.
Allison Unruh

Evans, GA

#15 Oct 19, 2011
My dad has been the caretaker at Omaha Springs since 1989 ! I grew up there and my parents still live there now ! Beautiful place and great memories ! [email protected]
Robin Usry

Appling, GA

#16 Dec 13, 2011
I am the president of Glascock County Historical Society. I am putting a photo of Omaha Springs during the 1800's, in a second edition of A Taste of History photo album. The information I am using comes from a book written by W.J. Hardin. He published it in 1989 and it is a complete story of John B. Williams and his discovery of the Omaha Springs. This second edition will be in print by Christmas. They will be avaliable in some stores in Gibson. I believe the photo was taken during one of the Fourth of July Confederate Reunions. I agree it must be saved and held in the highest esteem of historical sites in the state of Georgia.
Donna

Yorktown, VA

#17 Dec 27, 2012
Hi Robin,

I only have a photo from 10 years ago, I would like to post this on my ancestry, I am in the line of John B. Williams, I was wondering where I can get a copy of the A taste of History. Thanks

Donna Beasley
Robin Usry wrote:
I am the president of Glascock County Historical Society. I am putting a photo of Omaha Springs during the 1800's, in a second edition of A Taste of History photo album. The information I am using comes from a book written by W.J. Hardin. He published it in 1989 and it is a complete story of John B. Williams and his discovery of the Omaha Springs. This second edition will be in print by Christmas. They will be avaliable in some stores in Gibson. I believe the photo was taken during one of the Fourth of July Confederate Reunions. I agree it must be saved and held in the highest esteem of historical sites in the state of Georgia.
Elaine Perdue Dailey

Hephzibah, GA

#18 Feb 3, 2013
Hi Robin,
I only have a photo from 10 years ago, I would like to post this on my ancestry, I am in the line of John B. Williams, I was wondering where I can get a copy of the A taste of History. Thanks
Donna Beasley

Hi Donna and Robin, Is the founder of Omaha Springs the John B. Williams born in 1802 and died in 1847 and was married to Cassy Faglier? If so, this was my 3rd great uncle. I am also distantly related to the Beasley's and I am on Ancestry.com .I would also like to buy a copy of the book. Donna, could you email me at [email protected] if you are related to this John B. Williams. He also had an uncle named John B. Williams and it may have been the uncle that founded the springs.
My 4th great grandmother was Elizabeth Beasley and her father was Abraham Beasley. Elizabeth married Newton Perdue.
I lived in Avera from when I was born until I was 8 yrs old back in the 50's. I use to love going to Omaha Springs and they use to have the Hadden reunion there too. I am also related to the Hadden's. I have so many fond memories of Omaha Springs. Do any of you remember Raphael Kelly that use to live there? He was a good friend of my Father's. A doctor also lived there back in the 50's but can't remember his name.
Also, does anyone have the update on whether the springs will be saved as a historical place or did Kaolin get the property? I sure hope they didn't. Thanks for any info.
I am also interested in reconnecting with old friends and people from Avera as I have such fond memories of those 8 yrs I lived there and went back to visit family thru the yrs.
Elaine Perdue Dailey
Elaine Perdue Dailey

Hephzibah, GA

#19 Feb 3, 2013
Hi Donna and Robin, Is the founder of Omaha Springs the John B. Williams born in 1802 and died in 1847 and was married to Cassy Faglier? If so, this was my 3rd great uncle. I am also distantly related to the Beasley's and I am on Ancestry.com .I would also like to buy a copy of the book. Donna, could you email me at [email protected] if you are related to this John B. Williams. He also had an uncle named John B. Williams and it may have been the uncle that founded the springs.
My 4th great grandmother was Elizabeth Beasley and her father was Abraham Beasley. Elizabeth married Newton Perdue.
I lived in Avera from when I was born until I was 8 yrs old back in the 50's. I use to love going to Omaha Springs and they use to have the Hadden reunion there too. I am also related to the Hadden's. I have so many fond memories of Omaha Springs. Do any of you remember Raphael Kelly that use to live there? He was a good friend of my Father's. A doctor also lived there back in the 50's but can't remember his name.
Also, does anyone have the update on whether the springs will be saved as a historical place or did Kaolin get the property? I sure hope they didn't. Thanks for any info.
I am also interested in reconnecting with old friends and people from Avera as I have such fond memories of those 8 yrs I lived there and went back to visit family thru the yrs.
Elaine Perdue Dailey
Elaine Perdue Dailey

Hephzibah, GA

#20 Feb 3, 2013
candace wrote:
Candace, what was Dr. Williams first name and was he a descendant of James Augustus Williams born in 1756 and died in 1853? He was my 4th great grandfather and my grandmother was Ollie Williams Perdue. I am on Ancestry.com and would appreciate any info you can provide. You can email me at [email protected] Thanks so much! Elaine
Dianne Allen

Evans, GA

#21 Sep 29, 2013
My name is Dianne Allen from Augusta, GA & My father was Lee S. Allen from Wrens, GA, my mom Marie M. Shepherd Allen was from
Avera, GA. My family (including my two brothers Rick & Larry) went to Avera just about every other weekend to stay with my mom's sisters, Bessie & Ethel Shepherd in Avera when we were kids. We had so many family reunions at Omaha Springs & each one was more fun than the last. Even when we weren't at a family function, we still would go there & wade in the creek every chance we got. Both my parents are buried at Pleasant Grove Baptist Church & this past weekend part of my family & I went back to Avera after about 13 yrs to put flowers on their graves & visit Omaha Springs. We met Mr. Newsome who lives there now & has kept the place up just like it was when I was a child. It was incredible how the memories came flooding back. You mentioned Mr. Kelly--he use to give my brother Rick little plastic army men & animals & got him a subscription to National Geographic that he enjoyed for years. I can't remember the doctor's name that was there, we just called him Doc. I pray that no one demolishes this piece of history, it's just too beautiful there & needs to be preserved for future generations. I've been very blessed to have had this place to go to as a child & as an adult.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wrens Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sarah Talley Jun '16 Wantstoknow 1
News Oxygen tanker truck overturns on U.S. Hwy 1 (Dec '14) Jun '16 rgu 2
Susan Dorey (Nov '12) Jun '16 Hanna Natalia 2
Priority Care Ambulance is the worst company in... Jun '16 Shelia Washington 5
Civil Rights Hero Dr. Franklyn Beckles, Jr. Pub... Jun '16 Rev Chad Cassicks 4
Founding Father Jun '16 monica 1
News Poor Georgians lack fair access to legal services (Feb '15) Mar '16 Utah Smith 5

Wrens Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wrens Mortgages