Worthington man accused of offering deputy $500 if he'd let him go

Full story: TwinCities.com

A man who offered a law enforcement officer $500 to let him go is now facing a felony-level bribery charge as a result, according to Jackson County District Court documents.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Apr 14, 2011
Serpico

Allegan, MI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

No wonder he got arrested:$500 is insulting.

You need to offer $5,000.
ME jr

Chaska, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

The consulate ID should of been the first give away he was illegal. (love it when I see a foreign consulate ID with a MN address)
Zingbopper

Balsam Lake, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Deport these b-e-a-n-e-r-s.
So tired of all these people coming into our country and then breaking laws.
If we did that stuff in the crap hole they came from, we'd be shot. But not here, we give hugs instead.
Zingbopper

Balsam Lake, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

I see the language police are at it again, see, we don't want to hurt anyones feeling's.
Danno

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Judged:

Gotta love the headline, "Worthington Man..." Yah, a real true blue SW Minnesotan here - cough, cough.
Mark Winshel

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Perhaps Ramos should have instead moved to Chicago. Although I myself refused to play that game, in the early 1970's in Chicago a lot of the people I knew when I lived there then when stopped by a cop, and which would normally result in the cop requestiing to see their driver's license, would always wrap their driver's license in some paper money, generally a five dollar bill, and I never heard of anybody who used that approach getting a traffic ticket or having the mioney refused.

The guys I knew back then did not usually try to negotiate the size of the bribe, or at least not on such issues as going through a stop sign, etc, but instead, and with no words being exchanged and nor any negotiations on what size bribe the cop required, would just, and without being asked, assume that about five dollars was the "correct" amount for such situations, and would therefore wrap their driver's license in a small amount of paper money, generally a fivr dollar bill, and as they presented it to the cop.

Of course some situations required more money. For instance when I was going to night school in the early 1970's in Chicago, one evening one of my fellow students told me that he had just been shaken down AGAIN, and while driving to school, by a cop for twenty dollars. According to my fellow student, his license had been suspended and every time that particular cop, and who knew his license was suspended, spotted him he demanded twenty dollars so as not to arrest him.

NOTE: The guy running Chicago back then was the original Mayor Daley, and he never stopped insisting that Chicago had the finest police department and the finest police officers in the entire United States.
Robert Thorn

Saint Paul, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Mark Winshel wrote:
Perhaps Ramos should have instead moved to Chicago. Although I myself refused to play that game, in the early 1970's in Chicago a lot of the people I knew when I lived there then when stopped by a cop, and which would normally result in the cop requestiing to see their driver's license, would always wrap their driver's license in some paper money, generally a five dollar bill, and I never heard of anybody who used that approach getting a traffic ticket or having the mioney refused.
The guys I knew back then did not usually try to negotiate the size of the bribe, or at least not on such issues as going through a stop sign, etc, but instead, and with no words being exchanged and nor any negotiations on what size bribe the cop required, would just, and without being asked, assume that about five dollars was the "correct" amount for such situations, and would therefore wrap their driver's license in a small amount of paper money, generally a fivr dollar bill, and as they presented it to the cop.
Of course some situations required more money. For instance when I was going to night school in the early 1970's in Chicago, one evening one of my fellow students told me that he had just been shaken down AGAIN, and while driving to school, by a cop for twenty dollars. According to my fellow student, his license had been suspended and every time that particular cop, and who knew his license was suspended, spotted him he demanded twenty dollars so as not to arrest him.
NOTE: The guy running Chicago back then was the original Mayor Daley, and he never stopped insisting that Chicago had the finest police department and the finest police officers in the entire United States.
The situations you describe still occur in other parts of the country and of course other countries. The New Orleans cops were paid an average of $10 per hour in 2005. I suspect a twenty wrapped around a dl might help a guy out down in NOLA. I know a guy who had to pay a fine on the spot to a cop in an eastern European country because his car was the wrong color (a different color than the registration indicated).

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Worthington Discussions

Search the Worthington Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
MN Who do you support for Governor in Minnesota in... (Oct '10) Jun '14 doomsayer2014 847
Worthington community meetings Mar '14 AndySeales 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
Predator politicians, government offices, state... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Debra Matheny 1
Industrial Radiography Qualifying Course coming... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Clowe 1
Are there any Worthington Pizza Hut employees w... (Apr '13) Apr '13 formeremployeefromtn 1
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Worthington, MN (Dec '11) Sep '12 tyedye 4
•••
•••
•••
Worthington Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Worthington Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••