Veterans beat the clock

Veterans beat the clock

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 2, 2010, titled Veterans beat the clock. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Nothing like getting a few old buddies together to lighten up a heavy experience.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Anne

Saint Joseph, MN

#45 May 3, 2010
Son of WWII Marine wrote:
<quoted text>
Wow Anne, that story made me cry. These were such good guys, even though I think my Dad is already gone, the person he was anyway I know it's going to hit hard when he passes away. I agree, I think our Dads would have hit it off perfectly the way it sounds. All he ever told us kids were the funny stories, never anything negative or frightening, that he held inside. One if his funny stories was about fruit cocktail. They landed on some little island and fought for 40 days with nothing but Fruit Cocktail to eat (he called it a typical Marine Corp SNAFU). To this day he will not eat Fruit Cocktail. I visited him at the nursing home last week and I had to hold a little laugh in when I saw the little cup of fruit cocktail untouched on his plate. He can't remember who I or my Mom are anymore, but he can remember he hates fruit cocktail. What a guy.
Cheers, and thanks for this therapy, I really needed it.
USMC Son - Oh my gosh! My dad would not touch fruit cocktail either! That and rice! He said he ate enough rotten, moldy rice balls to choke a horse! Never in my entire life did my Mom ever serve rice! It was always potatoes and gravy! I never had chow mein or anything with rice except at school or later in life at restaurants or when I learned to cook myself! LOL! These Dads of ours were some wonderful people and we were really lucky to have them as our Dads! I don't know if you are watching it or not - but I have been watching every episode of "The Pacific." Tom Hanks and Steven Speilberg produced the series. It's 10 shows in all and they just aired the 8th episode last nite. It's on HBO but I don't get that so I watch it on the internet and it is really something to watch! It leaves me in tears and awe every nite I watch it! There is also laughter too because you see where some of the things and sayings came from that that generation of Vets do and said. But it is a great show! I really recommend that you watch it! And thank you too for the chance to talk about my Daddy! I guess us kids of the WWII Vets aren't getting any younger either and so many of the younger people don't understand the things that are so important to us that are part of the legacy left to us by our parents! Again, Thank You to You and Your Dad! My Prayers for you and your Mom and Dad!
Gramps

Saint Paul, MN

#46 May 3, 2010
As a vet of the Korean and Vietnam eras I never looked for a thank you from any one for serving my country to keep it free. I looked up to my brothers who served during WWII while I was a kid in school. If your a vet and served your country wearing a uniform, just be thankful that you came out alive after fulfilling what we did, whether you were a pilot, doctor, or just a pencil pusher. I thought we were all part of a team no matter what job we did. I did my part and I'm damned proud of it. We all did the part we were trained for. What hurt the worst was all the promises that were made to us while we served by politicians and taken away after each war ended. I feel sorry for these young fellows who are in now when their time like ours falls down the gutter. Thanks today doesn't make up for false promises.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#47 May 3, 2010
Using Common Sense wrote:
Redeemer- I just wanted to say thanks for serving. I applaud you. Leave Sir LOL (Lord of Losers?) to his pathetic life. Because when push comes to shove, he knows (I'm thinking that he does have a brain somewhere) that America is powerful largely due to our military.
Thank you!
Domeball

Saint Paul, MN

#48 May 4, 2010
Gramps wrote:
As a vet of the Korean and Vietnam eras I never looked for a thank you from any one for serving my country to keep it free. I looked up to my brothers who served during WWII while I was a kid in school. If your a vet and served your country wearing a uniform, just be thankful that you came out alive after fulfilling what we did, whether you were a pilot, doctor, or just a pencil pusher. I thought we were all part of a team no matter what job we did. I did my part and I'm damned proud of it. We all did the part we were trained for. What hurt the worst was all the promises that were made to us while we served by politicians and taken away after each war ended. I feel sorry for these young fellows who are in now when their time like ours falls down the gutter. Thanks today doesn't make up for false promises.
Thank you Gramps for everything you have done for us!
Doc51

Minneapolis, MN

#49 May 4, 2010
Hey all, these men fought for our freedoms. Honor flight is about honoring them and saying a long over due thank you to them.
O3E in 101st Airborne

United States

#50 May 5, 2010
Gramps wrote:
...whether you were a pilot, doctor, or just a pencil pusher. I thought we were all part of a team no matter what job we did. I did my part and I'm damned proud of it...
Spoken like a true Rakkasan!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Worthington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Worthington community meetings (Mar '14) Mar '14 AndySeales 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
Predator politicians, government offices, state... (Jan '14) Jan '14 Debra Matheny 1
Industrial Radiography Qualifying Course coming... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Clowe 1
Are there any Worthington Pizza Hut employees w... (Apr '13) Apr '13 formeremployeefromtn 1
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Worthington, MN (Dec '11) Sep '12 tyedye 4
News WCCO's Liz Collin pregnant (Jul '12) Jul '12 Nita Baldwin 1
More from around the web

Worthington People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Worthington Mortgages