Veterans beat the clock

Veterans beat the clock

There are 46 comments on the TwinCities.com story from May 2, 2010, titled Veterans beat the clock. In it, TwinCities.com reports that:

Nothing like getting a few old buddies together to lighten up a heavy experience.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at TwinCities.com.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Doc51

Minneapolis, MN

#1 May 2, 2010
Thank you for this story. It's a worthy cause.
Doc51

Minneapolis, MN

#2 May 2, 2010
Thank you for this story. I work for a company tht mnages several senior housing communities. They have goten involved with this program.

Many people may not know that the progrm recieves absolutely no government funding. It runs solely on donations.

It's a wonderful way to say thank you to our veterans.
They served with honor now we should serve them with honor.

Thank you again for this story.
old veteran

Odessa, TX

#3 May 3, 2010
This story was good up until you put Tim Pawlenty into it. That just skewed the whole article. When writers start writing about the forgotten war in Korea we really won't feel so bad about WWII boys that had nothing to do with the war at all. Cannon fodder at Iwo Jima, or The Normandy invasion to conquest the whole of Europe in collusion with the dictator of russia. Read your history before you publish such rubbish. The editor should feel ashamed for allowing this trash to go to print.
Patriot

AOL

#4 May 3, 2010
God bless all our veterans for their service and sacrifice!
independent

United States

#5 May 3, 2010
I agree with you Old Veteran. The Pawlenty trash could have been left out.
TAZ

Minneapolis, MN

#6 May 3, 2010
To all the veterans a big thank you, to the people that put on these flights thank you and keep it up these veterans deserve it, just like all veterans deserve a BIG THANK you
Anne

Saint Joseph, MN

#7 May 3, 2010
This is a wonderful program! I am so glad that it got started! When the WWII Memorial was brand new before they started this program, My Dad who was a Vet of WWII South Pacific died before he got to see it! I know he wanted to see it but there just wasn't enough time for him, so I am very glad that so many of these wonderful Veterans get to go! It brings me to tears each time I hear of one of these flights or watch tv shows like The Pacific that is currently airing as it makes me miss my Dad even more because I realize each day just how important and precious ALL of our Veterans are to our country and that they are ALL truly Hero's! I often think that maybe instead of spending our tax money on one more worthless project or special program to study some inane matter that maybe we should take a few million or billion of that money and make sure that ALL of our Veterans of ALL our wars are properly taken care of and that includes a plane ride to see their Memorial! I would think their care is the least we should be doing for them! THANK YOU to ALL of our Veterans and if no one minds - A Special Thank You to the Men & Women of WWII - they are my special Hero's because my Daddy was one of them!
Where

Farmington, MN

#8 May 3, 2010
old veteran wrote:
This story was good up until you put Tim Pawlenty into it. That just skewed the whole article. When writers start writing about the forgotten war in Korea we really won't feel so bad about WWII boys that had nothing to do with the war at all. Cannon fodder at Iwo Jima, or The Normandy invasion to conquest the whole of Europe in collusion with the dictator of russia. Read your history before you publish such rubbish. The editor should feel ashamed for allowing this trash to go to print.
All the story said was the govenor and first lady came to a dinner. There was no political agenda offered by the paper it's called REPORTING you dolt.
Bah Humbug

Saint Paul, MN

#9 May 3, 2010
They'r all heroes.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#10 May 3, 2010
old veteran wrote:
Any "old veteran" who doesn't vote republican probably fought for the other side.
Retired

Minneapolis, MN

#11 May 3, 2010
The Honor Flight program is a worthy cause. I went on a previous flight as a guardian for a wwll vet to DC to see the wwll memorial along with the Marine Corps, Korean, Vietnam, and Womens Memorials. Had to pay my own way and it was worth it. Turns out my cost was a tax deduction at years end. I will do it again.
oslof gremsky

United States

#12 May 3, 2010
Thank all of you who praise me for my service to the USA. I deserve it.
Son of WWII Marine

Cottage Grove, MN

#13 May 3, 2010
My Dad served 4 years in the Pacific in the Marine Corp, in some of the worst places you can imagine with the 3rd Marine Division. He always joked that when he dies he must be going to heaven because he has already spent time in hell which is a place called Bouganville. What a generation they were. They fought a fanatic enemy who was unwilling to surrender or negotiate and had little regard for their own life. They lived with intense fear and deprivation for months on end with barely a break between one island after another. For those 18 and 19 year olds it must have been a nightmare. How my Dad lived the life he led after going through that is a complete mystery to me. He raised a large family, ran a large farm for 60 years. He never owned a firearm and would not allow any of us to own one. He would stop the car to help a turtle off the road, he would avoid using a piece of farm equipment if there was a bird nest built in it so not to disturb them. One thing he learned was to respect all life from that nightmare. I am sad that he is so debilitated by alzheimers now that a trip like this would have been impossible for him. God bless these vets and thank you.

“Things can only get better”

Since: May 08

Minneapolis

#14 May 3, 2010
I believe that one of our countries major faults is the way that our veterans get treated. They are told to go to war, to risk life and limb for what other people believe is a just cause. Then, when they have completed the task, they are pretty much forgotten. Today most people celebrate Halloween with more enthusiasm than they do Memorial Day. Most people think someone who honors and respects our national flag is "old-fashioned" but someone who burns it is "expressing their freedom of speech". I believe that every time you meet a member of the military you ought to shake their hand and thank for.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#16 May 3, 2010
Whatever wrote:
What I always find interesting is every veteran you meet always fought on the front line winning the war by himself. They never say, "Oh, I worked in the motor pool" or "I maintained the golf course at Fort Whatchamacallit" or some other non-combat job.
I didn't win the war by myself. I readily admit I had some help.
O3E in 101st Airborne

Boca Raton, FL

#17 May 3, 2010
Great story. I'm back in the states on R&R in the Florida Keys. To me this is why I serve. So that the sacrifices of those who served before us, especially of course my fellow Screaming Eagles, won't have been for nothing. There's such a neat feeling when they come to our formal balls and the like and still keep a foot in the door of today's army. What a great generation. We likely won't see their equal in this country again. I just wish they wouldn't drive in the left lane.:-)
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#18 May 3, 2010
Bob the Bilderberg wrote:
<quoted text>
Any "old veteran" who doesn't vote republican probably fought for the other side.
You really don't help the republican party
at all,and I doubt very seriously if you could pass an Armed forces
Examination! loser's like you are called 4F'ers for a reason.
redeemer

Saint Paul, MN

#19 May 3, 2010
Whatever wrote:
What I always find interesting is every veteran you meet always fought on the front line winning the war by himself. They never say, "Oh, I worked in the motor pool" or "I maintained the golf course at Fort Whatchamacallit" or some other non-combat job.
heres another 4F loser!you learn the Military code of Conduct,and a soldier first general order before
start sprewing off uninfore ignorance.
Bob the Bilderberg

Minneapolis, MN

#20 May 3, 2010
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text> heres another 4F loser!you learn the Military code of Conduct,and a soldier first general order before
Did you learn that in boot camp before they sent you home when they discovered you were illiterate?

Since: Sep 08

Saint Paul, MN

#21 May 3, 2010
redeemer wrote:
<quoted text> heres another 4F loser!you learn the Military code of Conduct,and a soldier first general order before
How about trying to make a coherent post once in a while. You just come across as stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Worthington Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
rude recptionist May '16 Anonymous 1
News Friendship comes at a price for the new Seward ... (Oct '15) Oct '15 Phineas 6
Worthington community meetings (Mar '14) Mar '14 AndySeales 1
Election Who do you support for U.S. House in Minnesota ... (Oct '10) Jan '14 DutchQ 11
Industrial Radiography Qualifying Course coming... (Apr '13) Apr '13 Clowe 1
Are there any Worthington Pizza Hut employees w... (Apr '13) Apr '13 formeremployeefromtn 1
Debate: Immigrants & K-12 - Worthington, MN (Dec '11) Sep '12 tyedye 4

Worthington Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Worthington Mortgages