15 village layoffs
First Prev
of 9
Next Last
15 VILLAGE LAYOFFS

United States

#1 Nov 4, 2010
Was at the board meeting last night and the Mayor said they would be laying off 15 employees. How many village employees does Worth even have in total? 15 seems like an awful lot, where will the cuts be at? He said we will lose alot of services. He said they need to cut between $600,000 and $700,000 that they are short to balance the budget. No matter which side you are on, I am sad for our residents and village workers.
girlygirl

Chesterfield, MO

#2 Nov 4, 2010
Wow that is alot of people and worth isnt even that big. I think if the village people would have done more to keep trash---) drug dealers criminals and plain ol bad people out of Worth there would have been a different turn out.
YIKES

Warrenville, IL

#3 Nov 4, 2010
15??? 15 layoffs?? Is the Water Edge Staff on the employee list?? Wonder if any of the freinds of Keller and Serpico from Water's Edge will be layed off?
15 VILLAGE LAYOFFS

United States

#4 Nov 4, 2010
YIKES wrote:
15??? 15 layoffs?? Is the Water Edge Staff on the employee list?? Wonder if any of the freinds of Keller and Serpico from Water's Edge will be layed off?
The Reporter newspaper today says it will be police, public works, and crossing guards, no mention of Waters Edge staff, so the fire dept. gets no layoffs because they are part of North Palos, yet we taxpayers are stilling paying their salaries, doesn't seem fair.
Get informed

Joliet, IL

#5 Nov 4, 2010
YIKES wrote:
Yikes,
You like to gossip but you don't even know what you are talking about. I worked at the golf course many years ago, first of all it is a seasonal job. Minimum wage and NO BENEFITS, and you can not collect unemployment. Do you understand what seasonal means? Most of the Waters Edge workers have been laid-off already. They probably won't be called back until April. Do us a favor, go back to school and learn how to spell.
really

United States

#6 Nov 4, 2010
Get informed wrote:
<quoted text>
Yikes,
You like to gossip but you don't even know what you are talking about. I worked at the golf course many years ago, first of all it is a seasonal job. Minimum wage and NO BENEFITS, and you can not collect unemployment. Do you understand what seasonal means? Most of the Waters Edge workers have been laid-off already. They probably won't be called back until April. Do us a favor, go back to school and learn how to spell.
Maybe you should look at the village audit on its website, on page 59 for the golf course. General Administration for the golf course was budgeted at $152,000 and it ended up being $408,000 that is not chump change. So I understand there are seasonal jobs there that you had. But there are also year round higher paying jobs that are way over budget, those jobs should also be in the budget cuts along with everyone else in the village taking cuts.
resident

United States

#7 Nov 4, 2010
15 VILLAGE LAYOFFS wrote:
Was at the board meeting last night and the Mayor said they would be laying off 15 employees. How many village employees does Worth even have in total? 15 seems like an awful lot, where will the cuts be at? He said we will lose alot of services. He said they need to cut between $600,000 and $700,000 that they are short to balance the budget. No matter which side you are on, I am sad for our residents and village workers.
What board meeting did u attend? The never gave any specifics. They went into a special session to discuss how to balance this mess. Again they never gave specifics so that means ur spreading more lies. They vote is over you can stop with the unfounded comments.
yes

United States

#8 Nov 4, 2010
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
What board meeting did u attend? The never gave any specifics. They went into a special session to discuss how to balance this mess. Again they never gave specifics so that means ur spreading more lies. They vote is over you can stop with the unfounded comments.
Hello, I attended the Village Board meeting last night. The first thing the mayor spoke about was the home rule vote and then he said they would have to lay off 15 employees. And yes he did say they were going into executive session to discuss the layoffs. He kept all the heads of depts. there to discuss it. So either you were not there at the very beginning of the meeting or you were not listening. Call up the village and ask for the CD of the meeting. That was another thing that was discussed was that residents can request a copy of a CD to listen to the village meeting. So I am not lying, he did say 15 layoffs would happen due to the non passage of home rule. Call the mayor and ask for yourself he lists his cell phone on the village newsletter. So don't call me a liar, you are the one who is misinformed.
Resident

Plainfield, IL

#9 Nov 4, 2010
resident wrote:
<quoted text>
AND YES I DRINK KOOLAID
Some Dude

Schaumburg, IL

#10 Nov 4, 2010
Just read Reporter article, complete elimination of public works is possible as well. That should at least eliminate the complaining about paying for leaf service. Can a village regress and become an unincorporated part of cook county like the Garden Homes or similar? No village board and no services, but homeowners can save a few hundred dollars in property taxes each year.
Just Sad

United States

#11 Nov 4, 2010
The sad reality of it is that all jobs could have been saved and the Village could have become strong again. But instead of paying a couple of extra dollars at the store the majority have chosen to get people fired. Not very friendly. The lies were believed and now the Village will pay the price. Personally I say the Village should raise every fee they can to the max they can in order to try and let some people keep their job. Maybe the harsh hit to peoples wallets would give them the reality check the deserve.
Bad sign

United States

#12 Nov 4, 2010
I think what's on the village sign is in poor taste. Tacky, heartless and thoughtless...why don't you rub it in the village's face a little more? That's a great sign to attract business. A great way to boost employee and resident morale. Public temper tantrum. How mature and professional.
Whos Money

Elmwood Park, IL

#13 Nov 4, 2010
Just Sad wrote:
The sad reality of it is that all jobs could have been saved and the Village could have become strong again. But instead of paying a couple of extra dollars at the store the majority have chosen to get people fired. Not very friendly. The lies were believed and now the Village will pay the price. Personally I say the Village should raise every fee they can to the max they can in order to try and let some people keep their job. Maybe the harsh hit to peoples wallets would give them the reality check the deserve.
Whos Money? Our Money! Whos Money? Our Money!
It is not a matter of paying "a couple of extra dollars" it is Mayor's and Management that don't get it. Mayors and presidents of cities and villages in the State of Illinois think there is no economic downturn in this economy and they should be allowed to suck off the middle class to uphold their standard of living. Time to take a good look at privatization of village departments.

And as for people keeping their jobs, nobody is immune from losing their job.

Whos Money? Our Money! Whos Money? Our Money!
FYI

Oak Lawn, IL

#14 Nov 4, 2010
15 VILLAGE LAYOFFS wrote:
<quoted text>
The Reporter newspaper today says it will be police, public works, and crossing guards, no mention of Waters Edge staff, so the fire dept. gets no layoffs because they are part of North Palos, yet we taxpayers are stilling paying their salaries, doesn't seem fair.
Waters Edge is a management company. They are employed by Billy Kasper Golf.
Social Democrat Spotted

Elmwood Park, IL

#15 Nov 4, 2010
Just Sad wrote:
Folks, how ya be? Take a look at the post above. Another Social Democrat. Notice how they would like the government to 'harsh hit' your wallet and give you a reality check. They still want more of your money for them.

Harsh hitting a wallet is the same as being mugged as you walk down the street minding your own business.

These types of people like the poster above are to be watched by you and me. We need not take action against them, just keep your eye on them and get to know who they are. They are SOCIAL DEMOCRATS out to take your hard earned money in the name of needy government, distribution of wealth. Your money.
girlygirl

Chesterfield, MO

#16 Nov 4, 2010
The police should be laid off considering that IF they did their job they would still have but with all of us knowing how crappy of a job they do they deserve to lose their jobs....GOOD OL WORTH LESS
Reality check

Dallas, TX

#17 Nov 4, 2010
Was at the meeting. No specific number of employees was mentioned.
mismanagement

Palos Hills, IL

#18 Nov 4, 2010
They spent all this time to come out with ' what was going to be cut, 15 jobs..' but didn't spend 1 minute on a backup plan. It is like saying, All is bad.. things got screwed up but, trust our decisions one more time. I think it was all mismanagement of funds for the most part. How can you now lay off the chipper service and leaf pickup when you just charged $50 for the years service? I don't think they had any plan and they knew Home Rule wouldn't not go through. Start with laying them off.
Ben

Saint Charles, IL

#19 Nov 4, 2010
really wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you should look at the village audit on its website, on page 59 for the golf course. General Administration for the golf course was budgeted at $152,000 and it ended up being $408,000 that is not chump change. So I understand there are seasonal jobs there that you had. But there are also year round higher paying jobs that are way over budget, those jobs should also be in the budget cuts along with everyone else in the village taking cuts.
Whoever you are, it is just a typical sign that you don't do your homework before spouting off on things you do not know. First of all, the audit was from 2009, where there was a different management company running it. It is now being run by another management company. Second, how can you lay off people from the golf course when they aren't people who work for the Village of Worth? Their payroll is supported by their own management firm. It's people like you who don't ask questions before they spit out their ideas that make absolutely no semse.
buddies with connections

Palos Hills, IL

#20 Nov 4, 2010
I think they are just venting on people, that can land jobs from people they know, cussie jobs like CB. It was the Village Buddies influence. No skills, no job training, great on the cell phone & FACE BOOK ! It is who you know. It makes sense to me. Get with reality. Do you know what really goes on in this town? CB buddies, not need to reply.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 9
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Worth Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Stevo at the City Council meeting 1 hr What Matters Most 87
State Rep 28th Bob Rita is not addressing the ... (Jul '14) 1 hr From Fiscal to Ca... 158
Blue Island Red Light Cameras Illegal (Apr '12) 6 hr Due Bills 158
Dayton Lawrence 'massage' parlor..SUSPICIOUS (Apr '12) 12 hr Art 10
All Lives Matter 14 hr Go Blue Forever 30
lyons, il politics (Mar '07) 22 hr ATTENTION NEEDED 8,969
Did you attend tonight's Flooding meeting at Pa... 23 hr CASA 13

Worth Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Worth Mortgages