SEDOM Center - what a joke!

SEDOM Center - what a joke!

Posted in the Woodstock Forum

Since: Sep 08

AOL

#1 Sep 30, 2008
I'm a parent of a child attending SEDOM center in Woodstock. I absolutely HATE the school. Are there any other parents out there who feel the same way? If not, what do you LOVE about SEDOM center?
Amy G

Walworth, WI

#2 Mar 18, 2009
I have a kid who goes to SEDOM center as well. I am quite disillusioned with the school. This last year alone has proven to me that THAT school will exhaust all measures and seek all avenues possible to unearth your child's medical history yet not even lift a finger to advance your child academically. SEDOM center in Woodstock, IL would rather be some sort of medical treatment facility rather than a school of academic excellence.

I caution anyone who sends their child to the Special Education District of McHenry County. Lynne Solway, principal, has no clue what her staff is up to or how to teach children with special needs. Kathy Wilhoit, superintendent, is out of the loop even more. Lynne attempts to answer direct questions but dances around the issue and changes the subject. Kathy can't even answer your direct question. But she promises to look into the situation and get back to you...

No one truly pays attention to the special education district because no one truly cares if these kids are taught academics. Mostly people think that these kids are unteachable.

Every homeowner in McHenry County pays taxes to SEDOM center. The money certainly doesn't seem to be used on teaching academics to these kids. BUT it sure can be seen lining the pockets of school administrators over at SEDOM center. Bodies are tan, hair is neatly dyed and cut, nails are perfectly finished, clothes are tailored to fit the body in the latest fashions. Certainly these people enjoy their salaries.

And yet, it took 18 YEARS to raise money to build a accessible playground for the school. How does that work? And my kid still has not had a communication evaluation done on him - in the three years since he's been there.
sadforsedom

Belvidere, IL

#3 Aug 14, 2009
Amy G wrote:
I have a kid who goes to SEDOM center as well. I am quite disillusioned with the school. This last year alone has proven to me that THAT school will exhaust all measures and seek all avenues possible to unearth your child's medical history yet not even lift a finger to advance your child academically. SEDOM center in Woodstock, IL would rather be some sort of medical treatment facility rather than a school of academic excellence.
I caution anyone who sends their child to the Special Education District of McHenry County. Lynne Solway, principal, has no clue what her staff is up to or how to teach children with special needs. Kathy Wilhoit, superintendent, is out of the loop even more. Lynne attempts to answer direct questions but dances around the issue and changes the subject. Kathy can't even answer your direct question. But she promises to look into the situation and get back to you...
No one truly pays attention to the special education district because no one truly cares if these kids are taught academics. Mostly people think that these kids are unteachable.
Every homeowner in McHenry County pays taxes to SEDOM center. The money certainly doesn't seem to be used on teaching academics to these kids. BUT it sure can be seen lining the pockets of school administrators over at SEDOM center. Bodies are tan, hair is neatly dyed and cut, nails are perfectly finished, clothes are tailored to fit the body in the latest fashions. Certainly these people enjoy their salaries.
And yet, it took 18 YEARS to raise money to build a accessible playground for the school. How does that work? And my kid still has not had a communication evaluation done on him - in the three years since he's been there.
I couldn't agree more. SEDOM has taken a terrible turn for the worse in the past six or seven years. Former superintendent Chambers bullied teachers and staff. Principal Solway is incompetent and has no clue regarding the needs of the students. Wilhoit lives in never-never land and tries to stay above it all. There was a time when SEDOM put students first but that time is long gone. Talk to teachers who have been at SEDOM for years and you'll find that they lament how badly the educational services have slipped.
Janet

Chippewa Falls, WI

#4 Aug 17, 2010
I have a son that has attended Sedom Center for 9 yrs and Sedom has been a God Send for my Special Needs son!!! His teacher deserves an outstanding teachers award if you ask me!!! Before we found Sedom the public schools would literly put my son in a small room with 1 teachers assistant by himself and have him color!!! Once we found sedom an Ms. White My son has developed 100% academically!! Now my son is doing wonderful!!! Thank you MS.WHITE and SEDOM. I can never show my appreciation enough :)
Logan

Chicago, IL

#5 Oct 20, 2010
If you are looking for academics then consider inclusion in a 'normal' school. My son goes to SEDOM & we had to fight Coventry to get him there. If you think your child is in the wrong school - for whatever reason - get an IEP going & get them out! There are dozens of kids I know that NEED the SEDOM center - not to metion their parents - and can't because there are too many students there now. If you do not like SEDOM - for whatever reason - get your child out so those that need/want their programs can gain access!
lisa

Northbrook, IL

#6 Apr 26, 2011
i think Sedom is a great school a fun place for kids and i HATE that you all are trash talking it!
i hope you know that the kids there are the best kind of kids you will every meet.

so please keep your comments to your self
Mee

Roselle, IL

#7 Oct 26, 2011
I have a child that goes to Sedom right now and the only problem out of 14 years I have is the teacher my child has this year. She don't do anything with them. They need to get rid of the teachers that don't care about OUR KID'S. Plus they need a new Pricipal that also cares about OUR KID'S.I agree with sadforsedom. If John was still principal ALL this crap would not be going on. John was in it for the children!!! He loved them all and some of the teachers are still in it for the kids.
out there

Chicago, IL

#8 Feb 11, 2014
anything is better than sased!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodstock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Crystal Lake Il Sucks (Mar '16) Apr 25 TheMidwestdontlinkup 4
Abolish Marengo Park District Staff & The Mayor (Apr '16) Apr 25 Gil gray 3
Sarah Powers Apr 22 Bob 2
News LITH Man Charged With Threatening Girlfriend, F... (May '11) Apr 7 JustSomeDude 11
News Local anti-tax group protests in Chicago, gets ... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Dumb Republicans 4
Crandall’s Chicken Dinner Supports the Woodstoc... (Oct '16) Oct '16 pmurfin 1
rt 14 (Sep '16) Sep '16 Bob 1

Woodstock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodstock Mortgages