Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-S...

Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions

There are 52086 comments on the CBS2 story from Nov 30, 2010, titled Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil Unions. In it, CBS2 reports that:

The Illinois House has approved a measure to legalize civil unions for same-sex couples.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at CBS2.

mixed metaphors

Urbana, IL

#31975 Apr 29, 2012
and halo

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

#31976 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The only place in the Bible a pastor is clearly delineated is in the passage I noted.
Nothing you or anyone else has said changes that reality.
Anyone who sets themselves up as a 'pastor' apart from those qualifications is simply making up their own religion. That is fine, just don't call it Christianity.
Actually, "pastor" is a later term. The Koine is "presbyter" meaning "elder", which was later transformed into "priest". Hierarch, overseer, became "biscop" (bishop) in Saxon, from "scop" - one who sings the tribal tales.

There are older texts than Timothy that also delineate the structure of a synagogue, what the qualification were for "rebbe", elders and the synagogue brotherhood (deacons).

Saul merely pulled from those with his own variants.

In my sect (a very old one) I have a job with fancy Greek, Syrian and Coptic equivalent titles that you wouldn't understand. There's not a very close equivalent in the Roman Patriachal traditions.

I can tell that your sect is descended from a protestant rift from the Roman schism of the Great Sauline Apostasy. While the Eastern and older sects do have canon anthologies of the old writings, they never developed the Biblicist and Inerrency heresies. That was a much later outgrowth among the protestant schismatics of the Western Roman half of the Great Schism.

The positions are different in the various branches of the various schisms. The earliest ones don't even have many of the same jobs at all. The earliest was quite different from that organized by Saul among his gentile followers.

Even worship forms, predating the gentile communities, are recorded and display practices far different from what christendom became as the Roman Empire's pet, and far different from anything you're familiar with.

Want to see Sauline christianity in all it's temporal manifestations as a result of Imperial contact? Just look up the various forms of "Orthodox Liturgy" on YouTube. Texts of liturgies from the early 300s clearly show the gentilization of worship and belief forms. The oldest from the mid first century show something far simpler, far less imperial, far more Jewish. The records also show a few jobs in the earliest culture that would surprise you.

“KiMare'a the Monster Mutation”

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

#31977 Apr 29, 2012
snyper wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually, "pastor" is a later term. The Koine is "presbyter" meaning "elder", which was later transformed into "priest". Hierarch, overseer, became "biscop" (bishop) in Saxon, from "scop" - one who sings the tribal tales.
There are older texts than Timothy that also delineate the structure of a synagogue, what the qualification were for "rebbe", elders and the synagogue brotherhood (deacons).
Saul merely pulled from those with his own variants.
In my sect (a very old one) I have a job with fancy Greek, Syrian and Coptic equivalent titles that you wouldn't understand. There's not a very close equivalent in the Roman Patriachal traditions.
I can tell that your sect is descended from a protestant rift from the Roman schism of the Great Sauline Apostasy. While the Eastern and older sects do have canon anthologies of the old writings, they never developed the Biblicist and Inerrency heresies. That was a much later outgrowth among the protestant schismatics of the Western Roman half of the Great Schism.
The positions are different in the various branches of the various schisms. The earliest ones don't even have many of the same jobs at all. The earliest was quite different from that organized by Saul among his gentile followers.
Even worship forms, predating the gentile communities, are recorded and display practices far different from what christendom became as the Roman Empire's pet, and far different from anything you're familiar with.
Want to see Sauline christianity in all it's temporal manifestations as a result of Imperial contact? Just look up the various forms of "Orthodox Liturgy" on YouTube. Texts of liturgies from the early 300s clearly show the gentilization of worship and belief forms. The oldest from the mid first century show something far simpler, far less imperial, far more Jewish. The records also show a few jobs in the earliest culture that would surprise you.
Thank you for the history overview.

Nothing you have said predates the passage I referenced or changes the point.

Just a note; I have said nothing about my belief, I simply referenced the Bible.
elmer fudd

Berlin, NH

#31979 Apr 29, 2012
Marengo Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
Matthew 7:1.
who iz more foolish the fool or the fool who follows tha fool

“laugh until your belly hurts”

Since: Dec 06

Location hidden

#31980 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Facts and reality have a way of causing that.
yeah... too bad you don't know any, huh?

Location hidden

#31981 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Thank you for the history overview.
Nothing you have said predates the passage I referenced or changes the point.
Just a note; I have said nothing about my belief, I simply referenced the Bible.
no... you referenced saul of tarsus who wrote about 85% of the new testament by forgery, fraud, plagiarism, lies, deceit and murder.

maybe a good solid history course would help you out,

Location hidden

#31982 Apr 29, 2012
dances with weebles wrote:
<quoted text>
no... you referenced saul of tarsus who wrote about 85% of the new testament by forgery, fraud, plagiarism, lies, deceit and murder.
maybe a good solid history course would help you out,
Your judgment of Paul doesn't change the point, does it?

We were not arguing the validity of NT authors, we were questioning the validity of your title. Did you conveniently forget that?
Steve

Milton, FL

#31983 Apr 29, 2012
Every politician and citizen in this country believes in "civil unions", giving gays every right a straight married couple has currently. BUT, the gay community demanded to use the "M" word, marriage.

The irony of this struggle, is that had the gay community just accepted the term "civil unions", no doubt fifteen to twenty years from now, the American people would say, "Civil union, marriage, civil union, marriage... Oh hell, let's just call it Marriage!"

But unfortunately, the gay community had to have it all, right up front, regardless of anyone else's feelings. Kind of sad, I think.

Since: Apr 09

Location hidden

#31984 Apr 29, 2012
Steve wrote:
Every politician and citizen in this country believes in "civil unions", giving gays every right a straight married couple has currently.
Where the hell are you coming up with that utter BS?

“It's a bathroom”

Since: Jul 07

Get over it, already

#31985 Apr 29, 2012
Steve wrote:
Every politician and citizen in this country believes in "civil unions", giving gays every right a straight married couple has currently. BUT, the gay community demanded to use the "M" word, marriage.
The irony of this struggle, is that had the gay community just accepted the term "civil unions", no doubt fifteen to twenty years from now, the American people would say, "Civil union, marriage, civil union, marriage... Oh hell, let's just call it Marriage!"
But unfortunately, the gay community had to have it all, right up front, regardless of anyone else's feelings. Kind of sad, I think.
Civil unions AREN'T the same as marriage. We have none of the federal benefits that you have. None.

http://www.life123.com/relationships/gay-lesb...

http://www.life123.com/relationships/gay-lesb...

Location hidden

#31986 Apr 29, 2012
Marengo Jon wrote:
<quoted text>
Civil unions AREN'T the same as marriage. W
That's because gay couples aren't the same as hetro.
Valhalla awaits

United States

#31987 Apr 29, 2012
Steve wrote:
I want some of what you're smoking. This has to be a joke. You can't possibly be that stupid. And as for the "regardless of anyone else's feelings" crap. Let's look at that shall we? Sick, perverted, immoral, disgusting, unnatural, unhealthy. Statements like "you're going to hell", "hope you die of aids", "god hates fags". Who's feelings are being stomped on here? The only thing in you're post that even comes close to being true is how sad it is. And you most certainly are that.

Location hidden

#31988 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
Your judgment of Paul doesn't change the point, does it?
We were not arguing the validity of NT authors, we were questioning the validity of your title. Did you conveniently forget that?
and you are basing your questioning upon?

Location hidden

#31989 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
The only place in the Bible a pastor is clearly delineated is in the passage I noted.
Nothing you or anyone else has said changes that reality.
Anyone who sets themselves up as a 'pastor' apart from those qualifications is simply making up their own religion. That is fine, just don't call it Christianity.
the entire point is that you are trying to use a known liar, murderer, fraud, heretic, and plagiarist to attempt to explain what makes a pastor, and what makes a christian. it can't be done. are you trying to say that every pastor in the world who doesn't follow the teachings of saul of tarsus is a phony?

Location hidden

#31990 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
That's because gay couples aren't the same as hetro.
how are they different?

Location hidden

#31991 Apr 29, 2012
<quoted text>
the entire point is that you are trying to use a known liar, murderer, fraud, heretic, and plagiarist to attempt to explain what makes a pastor, and what makes a christian. it can't be done. are you trying to say that every pastor in the world who doesn't follow the teachings of saul of tarsus is a phony?
If you are a Christian pastor, where does the Bible qualify you?

It's a simple question. I keep asking and you keep shifting.

Location hidden

#31992 Apr 29, 2012
<quoted text>
how are they different?
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love

If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage

If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage

If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders

If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history

If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no affect

If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships

If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity

If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent

If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act

If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end

If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest

If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none

If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'

Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.

Location hidden

#31993 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you are a Christian pastor, where does the Bible qualify you?
It's a simple question. I keep asking and you keep shifting.
i was qualified by the united methodist church after i graduated from the john roberts weselyn college seminary, and also by u.u. church after graduating from the university of chicago school of theology. if you have any reason to question my qualifications, then maybe you should take it up with them. okay? saul of tarsus is not an authority in any christian church. to say that he was is rather like saying that pat robertson holds the same authority.

Location hidden

#31994 Apr 29, 2012
<quoted text>
i was qualified by the united methodist church after i graduated from the john roberts weselyn college seminary, and also by u.u. church after graduating from the university of chicago school of theology. if you have any reason to question my qualifications, then maybe you should take it up with them. okay? saul of tarsus is not an authority in any christian church. to say that he was is rather like saying that pat robertson holds the same authority.
As I stated, you have rejected the one place in the Bible where a pastor is qualified and gone with a extra-Biblical concept.

Just a point of info that got missed in seminary, Saul of Tarsus didn't write Timothy, Paul did.

Religionthebigli e

“saved From jesus”

Since: Jul 11

Location hidden

#31995 Apr 29, 2012
KiMare wrote:
<quoted text>
If you
believe denying marriage to a relationship
will prevent love
If you
demand any committed relationship
has to be called marriage
If you
claim rights and benefits can only be acquired
by a imposition on marriage
If you
equate the diversity of two genders
with the redundancy of same genders
If you
desecrate the sacred tradition of all major religions
and violate the historic practice of every single culture in history
If you
believe a fundamental change to the building block of society
will have absolutely no affect
If you
think a law can change
the reality of crucial distinctions in relationships
If you
pretend duplicating sexuality
is the same as blending masculinity and femininity
If you
condemn some children to parents of only one gender
and deliberately deny some children one natural parent
If you
ignore the design of sexual union
to manipulate a harmful act
If you
violate evolution's law of reproduction
to equate a genetic dead end
If you
risk the healthiest human relationship
to include one of the unhealthiest
If you
parallel the sole birthplace of every other relationship
with one that can reproduce none
If you
dilute all these things
down to just 'a committed relationship of two people'
Then, and only then, can you equate same-sex unions with marriage.
Oh look. A Watchmann sock puppet.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodstock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Turkey Testicle Festival A Big Hit In Ill. (Nov '07) Feb 13 Phart Avianly 16
Fundraising for McGills Jan 31 Marengo Methodist... 1
News Crystal Lake Public Works employee flown to hos... Jan 23 dawntodusk 1
News Icons of Lakemoor Jan '17 Frankf 3
News 'Adopt a Family' offers Christmas assistance (Oct '08) Dec '16 Bob 272
News Local anti-tax group protests in Chicago, gets ... Oct '16 Dumb Republicans 4
CrandallÂ’s Chicken Dinner Supports the Woodstoc... Oct '16 pmurfin 1

Woodstock Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodstock Mortgages