Wierd Animal possible big cat sighting?
she

Morganville, NJ

#21 Aug 1, 2010
Could it be a fisher cat?
DanTheMan

Hartford, CT

#22 Aug 2, 2010
my wife took a photo of a bobcat in Thompson about a week ago, nice profile shot right down the road
catman

Montgomery, AL

#23 Aug 20, 2010
Their out there.As most of you know there is a west&east coast cougars.BE CAREFUL,and enjoy your wild America.
SM Perryville RI

Cranston, RI

#24 Sep 7, 2010
SGC wrote:
I saw a strange feline creature in a wooded area of Glastonbury, CT the other night, around dinnertime. Sunlight was still very bright, and I was very near and got a good look at it. Was feline, taller and longer than a housecat (more like the size of a small lab). But it was very very skinny. Had a long tail, very short hair, was a mottled gray color, and was not scared of me in the least and in no hurry. Seemed much too thin to be a bobcat. Could it have been a small, skinny cougar? Have seen many foxes, coyotes, fisher cats...but have never seen anything like this.
I have seen this cat once, very thin, long thin legs, acts like a cat, friendly, elusive. Tan/white fluffy scruf. Definitely built for running. Was in m iddle of driveway at noon, saw me, sat down and curled tail around it. Like housecat but way too big. NOt a bobcat, coyote, panther, lynx, fisher cat- never seen or heard of anything like this. I see wild animals in this area all the time and this is a new one to me.
cannrn

Milford, CT

#25 Sep 12, 2010
I saw a similar cat cross my yard this week around 0730. It was in no hurry either. I wanted to take a pic and slowly approached it (I am fool). It stopped and looked at me, the face was like a regular cat. Large, like a lab, smooth taupe colored fur and a long dark tail. I didn't get a good pic because it turned and ran away. This was in Milford, CT
SGC wrote:
I saw a strange feline creature in a wooded area of Glastonbury, CT the other night, around dinnertime. Sunlight was still very bright, and I was very near and got a good look at it. Was feline, taller and longer than a housecat (more like the size of a small lab). But it was very very skinny. Had a long tail, very short hair, was a mottled gray color, and was not scared of me in the least and in no hurry. Seemed much too thin to be a bobcat. Could it have been a small, skinny cougar? Have seen many foxes, coyotes, fisher cats...but have never seen anything like this.
Ken

AOL

#26 Oct 28, 2010
There was a mountain lion hit and killed in Mansfield two years ago but they wont admitt it.On wednesday the 27th of Oct.2010 another mountain lion was seen and reported to police by a number of people in Coventry Ct.The state may say they dont live here but they do.
Bohdi

Franklin, MA

#27 Nov 3, 2010
Hi everyone, I recently moved back to CT from Florida where we do have Pumas, Bobcats and other large cats that have escaped from people who keep them as pets. Over time and many sitings and investigations I have become nominally educated on large cats. I would like to point out a few things for you all. Pumas, Cougars, Mountain Lions (pretty much the same thing)do not come in all black they do not have the gene for it, although they are spotted when young. Leopards, Jaguars and Bobcats do. So if your in New England and you see a big black cat (25lbs or so) it's more than likely a bobcat, look for the short tail, if it's big super fluffy it's probably a Maine Coon cat(domestic). As far as Pumas in CT I've seen one in Durham. You cannot confuse a 100-150lb Puma with a Bobcat, Fox or Coyote. If you find any hair or scat samples turn it in so the state folks can't keep denying their presence.
mike

Norwich, CT

#28 Nov 9, 2010
tim wrote:
i was driving to work on route 12 between jewett city and lisbon. i came to a short area where the road was wooded on both sides. right before the mcdonalds. as i was driving, i pushed the brakes as a huge cat like animal leaped across into the woods. i knew it wasnt a deer or anything like that. it was a big cat. the state says we dont have them but i know too many people who have seen them in lisbon, griswold, plainfield, sterling, voluntown, and stonington. i have also read online about sightings in foster and coventry, rhode island which border connecticut. i looked online to see if it couldve been a bobcat. it was alot bigger than a bobcat and its paws crossed as much as they could when the creature was running. i think i might have seen a moutain lion (cougar, puma, panther) and i want to know why the state says there arent any, but yet so many people have seen them.
i live in east lyme and have also seen a large black cat we also did not want to beleive our own eyes when we saw it.but i think all the sightings are saying their is now wild cats in ct
mike

Norwich, CT

#29 Nov 9, 2010
Daddy wrote:
It was me, sorry. I liked Robins back yard and decided I would spend the night!:) jk, but I think what yall are seeing might happen to be a rather large bobcat.
i have bobcat on my property all the time and what i saw was not a bobcat it is a large black cat i will be trying to photo the cat to prove it . i live on 12 acres with a 4 acre pond and their is alot of activity all the time weekly
woodstock bill

Mansfield Depot, CT

#30 Feb 27, 2011
I saw a big cat today in woodstock, crossing the ice behind sweet evalina's stand. I believe it was a large/fat bobcat,although I am no expert. I watched this animal clearly as it crossed the ice and then followed the brush line between the pond and the adjacent field. It had to be over forty pounds. First one that I have seen, and I spend a lot of time outdoors.
Mudd

Newington, CT

#31 May 15, 2011
I live in newtown, ct. now for 7 yrs, by the farms, we have heard things being killed in the forest many times. My neighbor watching the coyotes and bobcats kill rabbits in his back yard. we now know we have coyotes, 2 yrs ago a black bear, also winter of 2009 going into 2010 we saw what looked like a puma (black) about 4 to 5 ft long running across the farm field and jumped a gate, we got pics of the distance and paw prints. Also last year someone's dog was killed by a mountain lion in Newtown. All the neighbors have seen bobcats and lynx, including my son, husband and my family, Today that changed I finally saw a bobcat or lynx today @ 1:00 in the afternoon. It rained off and on, so it kinda seemed like it was going into dust but it wasnt i looked out the window there he was just walking by my property, i yelled to my husband and ran outside. he stared us down for a long time before he turned to run, but only ran 20 ft and stopped, he didnt seem afraid really. eventually he ran towards the brook. BUT YET DEP in Newtown says we don't have these things running around, even an article in danbury news times a couple wks ago saying this, they SAID people are seeing house cats, THIS CAT IS AS BIG AS MY DOG, and he is a german shephard doverman mix 98 lbs. The dog pound admits it but DEP wont. Until someone gets killed or something like that. I will work on getting a picture and i will post it on YOUTUBE AND FACEBOOK FOR EVERYONE TO SEE, then I can say they are full of chit !
NIRaider11

Charlotte, NC

#32 May 18, 2011
If anyone can tell me what this mystery animal is, please tell me so that I can shoot it. My grandmother has seen this creature, but it's no Big Foot. She was emptying a crock pot and the creature came right around the opposite corner of the building she was near and then it saw her and ran off into the woods. She told me what it looked like and described it as a very large, pure gray, cat-like creature that was way too big to be a house cat. It was bigger than anything native to North Carolina. It was even larger than a panther. I don't know what it is, but if someone can tell me what it is I need to get rid of it now before it happens to want any of my family for dinner!
Robin

Lakeville, CT

#33 May 28, 2011
Hello all, just a quick update on my seal like woodchuck look a like seems there has been a fisher cat in area even made the news so to Tony who guessed correctly Thank You! The big cats are real too I also was told they were not in NB Canada-but they were there b4 native americans
mad mad

Albany, NY

#34 Jun 2, 2011
SeniorofWA07 wrote:
I was walking home today June 14 2007 on Pulpit Rock Road in Woodstock, CT and right before I crossed the stream across from the wetlands right after Fort Hill, I heard a rustling ahead of me. I looked up towards where the stream and on the left side going into the woods away from the wetlands, something very large leaped across the 10 foot river bed and very silently made its way off into the woods. This occurred at approx 2:00PM. I got home hopped on Google and started researching. I do not think it was a deer because I am an avid woodsman and it did not move like a deer nor look like one. I only saw the tail end. It had a long tail with a dark ring around the base. It had brownish fur, and I first thought it to be a deer except, it had paws rather than hoofs, the long tail and moved more like a cat. I am an avid woodsman and it did not move like a deer or look like one. It was low to the ground and except for the initial leap made no other noise, in exiting away. It was larger than my border collie yet smaller than my friends Bull Mastiff. I couldn't see the face, which would have been more useful in identifying it. I am unaware of what it was, though I believe it may have been an adolescent mountain lion or a rather large lynx. The most prominent distinguishing feature I observed was the long tail with the dark ring at the base. Not intending to scare anyone; it moved away from me, and did not attempt to come near me. My heart rate stayed the same, and I was more curious than anything else. Has anyone else seen this animal or have a better idea of what it could be??
did you get any photos? It would be awesome to see.
Robin

Lakeville, CT

#35 Jun 10, 2011
They finally got a cougar picture in Greenwich today,DEP say's its a released pet,I wish people will just acknowledge that these cats did not know they were not welcomed in ct and they do exist and we are not all morons that can not tell a white tail deer from a cougar. There can not be that many released pets I always thought domesticated big cats would loose hunting instinct. Mother Nature is finding away to co exist with us, just use common sense around the forests these cats enjoy a good venison chop over us any day.Be Well!
david

United States

#36 Jul 16, 2011
Out for a midday run yesterday in nw danbury, about 1 pm. Up ahead a darkish (black/brown) largish looking cat crosses road. It sits down in the brush and relaxes in the shade. At first I thought house cat. Then as I got closer I realized it was quite a bit larger than a housecat. Pick up stick decide to pass as its my route home. I kind of run up onto it and realize it isn't scared, I made a darting move at it to scare it. Didn't budge. I didn't get a great look but I saw the outline of its head, again much larger than a normal house cat, though roughly same shape, but much taller and pointier ears than I've seen. I decided to reverse tracks and find a different route. We do have coyotes and foxes in the area. Could this be a lynx? Definitely not the size or shape of cougar or mountain lion, even a very young one.
furbytwins

Essex, MD

#37 Nov 17, 2011
leave the cougars alone!
Mudd

Newtown, CT

#38 Nov 17, 2011
I live in Newtown ct, 3 years we saw a very large back cat running across farmers field in a blizzard took a 20 ft leap over a gate, Next 3 yrs 1 neighbor say hes seen a dark grey bobcat, then my brother saw it one day at the brook with 4 cubs, this is about 200 ft from my driveway. May 2011 we saw what had marking of a lynx, but yet looked more like a mountain lion, all muscle, huge had to be close to 100 lbs or more, we have a old railroad bed that runs along brook and our property below the house, we were only about 20 ft away from it, it stopped, starred took a couple steps forward up towards us, didn't budge close to a minute before he turned to run. 2 days ago I find a huge body print in sand where my pool goes, you can see the big paws, everything, we had baby deer on the farms next door until this past weekend when my dog found 1 leg and we found another in the wood pile, this big cat was under my kitchen window. Newtown warden says what do u want , bob cat and lynx are all over weighing in close to 100 lbs, they said they don't believe we have mountain lions or pumas, they said take pictures, get proof, even with that DEP won't do anything, ps if you don't know big cats are protected in state of CT they are not allowed to be trapped or hunting but they are in NY & Ma. Yes this cats are here bigger than ever, nothing will get done until someone gets attacked or killed. So no matter where u r in CT start protecting yourselfs in your own yards as well as when u walk, hike or jog. What ever your choice, gun, knife, pepper spray, it may save your life, for GODS sake don't leave your dogs tied outside, their sitting ducks, if u are more aware of your surrounding you will be amazed what you really see in you own back yard. Be safe everyone, gets pictures
Mudd

Newtown, CT

#39 Nov 17, 2011
Bohdi wrote:
Hi everyone, I recently moved back to CT from Florida where we do have Pumas, Bobcats and other large cats that have escaped from people who keep them as pets. Over time and many sitings and investigations I have become nominally educated on large cats. I would like to point out a few things for you all. Pumas, Cougars, Mountain Lions (pretty much the same thing)do not come in all black they do not have the gene for it, although they are spotted when young. Leopards, Jaguars and Bobcats do. So if your in New England and you see a big black cat (25lbs or so) it's more than likely a bobcat, look for the short tail, if it's big super fluffy it's probably a Maine Coon cat(domestic). As far as Pumas in CT I've seen one in Durham. You cannot confuse a 100-150lb Puma with a Bobcat, Fox or Coyote. If you find any hair or scat samples turn it in so the state folks can't keep denying their presence.
I got hair samples when one was in my jeep this July 2011, paw prints on door and in my jeep we dusted the jeep to help show prints better, no one is getting the hair as
Samples, I'm building my case, let them get their own
Mudd

Newtown, CT

#40 Nov 17, 2011
We have killIngs that go on all the time in the forest behind the house, I have spent almost 8 years now researching these cats, we thought it was the coyotes, until I found a couple of sites that have animals sounds. Then we hooked up baby mOnitors outside, you hear everything, with out a doubt it's big cats making the kills. Next cameras

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodstock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Empress Theresa Mar '16 kybunnies 2
fun Dec '15 blithe1969 1
Quinebaug Music Thread (Oct '15) Oct '15 Musikologist 1
BEWARE.Craig Leblanc of North Grovenordale, CT ... (Mar '15) Sep '15 John 7
News Members At Woodstock Nudist Camp Attempt To Deb... (Sep '08) Sep '15 Jdawg 39
News How Many Package Stores Does Greenwich Have? (Aug '15) Aug '15 BPT 4
News Fairfield woman clowned with Wavy Gravy (Jul '15) Jul '15 BPT 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodstock Mortgages