Wierd Animal possible big cat sighting?

Posted in the Woodstock Forum

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
SeniorofWA07

Mansfield Center, CT

#1 Jun 14, 2007
I was walking home today June 14 2007 on Pulpit Rock Road in Woodstock, CT and right before I crossed the stream across from the wetlands right after Fort Hill, I heard a rustling ahead of me. I looked up towards where the stream and on the left side going into the woods away from the wetlands, something very large leaped across the 10 foot river bed and very silently made its way off into the woods. This occurred at approx 2:00PM. I got home hopped on Google and started researching. I do not think it was a deer because I am an avid woodsman and it did not move like a deer nor look like one. I only saw the tail end. It had a long tail with a dark ring around the base. It had brownish fur, and I first thought it to be a deer except, it had paws rather than hoofs, the long tail and moved more like a cat. I am an avid woodsman and it did not move like a deer or look like one. It was low to the ground and except for the initial leap made no other noise, in exiting away. It was larger than my border collie yet smaller than my friends Bull Mastiff. I couldn't see the face, which would have been more useful in identifying it. I am unaware of what it was, though I believe it may have been an adolescent mountain lion or a rather large lynx. The most prominent distinguishing feature I observed was the long tail with the dark ring at the base. Not intending to scare anyone; it moved away from me, and did not attempt to come near me. My heart rate stayed the same, and I was more curious than anything else. Has anyone else seen this animal or have a better idea of what it could be??
hunter07

Coventry, CT

#2 Jun 30, 2007
It could be a sasquatch, there have been recent sightings in the area. DEP has been notified.
carlos

Oxford, MA

#3 Jul 1, 2007
i would like to see it
SeniorofWA07

Storrs Mansfield, CT

#4 Jul 12, 2007
yeah my dad and younger sister saw the whole cat leap across route 171 right before the turn off for Rocky Hill Rd. I believe it was the last friday of june, at about 8:00PM He said it was a small 60 or 70 pound cougar. So yup Woodstock now has mountain lions. yay for us. I wouldn't be too worried, there are plenty of deer around. But yeah i am kinda crazy and wilderness orientated so i was like "that was soooooooooooo cool."

And hunter07 everyone knows that sasquatch lives in the pacific NW with ET and down in the pine barrens w/ the jersey devil. lol.
ronnie

Colchester, CT

#5 Jul 17, 2007
i saw a puma about a month ago in franklin ct. it was only 10 feet from me as it walked across the road. there are definetly pumas in the area!
beth

Coventry, CT

#6 Jul 19, 2007
my dad has been hunting in the thompson and woodstock woods for over 30 years and guess what guys... we've had these bears and big cats the whole time. they keep popping up more and more as more houses keep invading their territory.
tim

United States

#7 Mar 1, 2009
i was driving to work on route 12 between jewett city and lisbon. i came to a short area where the road was wooded on both sides. right before the mcdonalds. as i was driving, i pushed the brakes as a huge cat like animal leaped across into the woods. i knew it wasnt a deer or anything like that. it was a big cat. the state says we dont have them but i know too many people who have seen them in lisbon, griswold, plainfield, sterling, voluntown, and stonington. i have also read online about sightings in foster and coventry, rhode island which border connecticut. i looked online to see if it couldve been a bobcat. it was alot bigger than a bobcat and its paws crossed as much as they could when the creature was running. i think i might have seen a moutain lion (cougar, puma, panther) and i want to know why the state says there arent any, but yet so many people have seen them.
James G

AOL

#8 Mar 19, 2009
I live in lower CT on a five acres country farm. My house is basically surrounded by water and I have 2 bridges that cross the streams. One day last year I was walking my two Doberman Pinschers out in my fields when all of a sudden a very large cat ran and leaped across the bridge heqading into the woods. This cat was bigger than my larger dog who weighs in at 135 lbs, it had a long tail with a dark brown tip on the end of the tail. I swore to myself it was a mountain lion. I called police and they said it most likely wasn't a cat. I told a neighbor a few days later they affirmed there was a large cat in our area and she had also seen it. I'd hate for my dogs to tangle with that thing at night.... don't cats always win the fights?
dyldyldyl1122121

Coventry, RI

#9 May 7, 2009
this is intriguing because the other day as i traveled along big river mountain bike paths i was surprised as i heard many strang noises coming from up the road. IT kind of sounded like someone was walking around yelling. I was kind of frighted by the whole thing and left. Recently with a friend of mine and we saw many of the trees were ripped off by something. Now i dont know if it was a bear or not but the animal that had to do this must of been very powerful because this were huge trees. Believe it or not i think its something unknown
Big Rick

East Greenwich, RI

#10 Jun 19, 2009
Hay dyldyldyl, I was in the area mentioned and alone, and startled ahead on the trail a large cat. It was not quite as long as a bobcat, and about half as wide. Had a long tail and was all black. Looked like a small panther. Puma? I have been hiking for years have seen lynx, bobcat, cayote, don't know what this was. Date 6/10/09. It bore me no harm and ran up the trail about 15 feet and went off trail.
Big Rick

East Greenwich, RI

#11 Jun 19, 2009
have been looking at photos of fisher cats. What I saw "may", have been one of those. I'd have to see one in person. The photos all show shaggy hair, what I saw had smooth. Also, photos appear to show smaller front legs. That may make them look like an otter when thay run. This thing didn't.
Bush girl

Wethersfield, CT

#12 Dec 19, 2009
Several workers at an office part in Rocky Hill, CT have seen a very large sleek black cat hunting the ridge line in back of Dinnosaur State Park. It looks to be about the size of a German Shepard. Black Panther, Puma?, don't know what the technial name is but this is no house cat and has been in the area for some time.
Trilby

Wethersfield, CT

#13 Feb 28, 2010
Sometime in the last year, I was driving on Route 289, from Willimantic, CT toward Lebanon, CT and I saw a large cat cross the road. The cat was a Bobcat or something like that. I'm not sure what kinds of wild cats there are in this area, but I know for sure what I saw was not a domestic animal.
Robin

Lakeville, CT

#14 Mar 15, 2010
Large cats such as eastern cougars can hunt in a 200 mile range. I saw one 12yrs ago with my mom with me, we were coming back from fredricton NB from a shopping trip and headed to our vacation home up there and it saunterd in front of us on the Trans Canada. They also said there were no cats up there yeah right! I will say i feel priviledged to see such wild beauty in its natural habitat but I am also grateful we were in the car. I saw an odd animal in CT last week in my back yard and I am glad my husband saw it. It was jet black big 60lb long and crazy as it sounds waddled seal like. I thought it was a cat and my husband thought it was a killer woodchuck (wrong color,wrong size)
Tony C

Bristol, RI

#15 Mar 16, 2010
S
Robin wrote:
Large cats such as eastern cougars can hunt in a 200 mile range. I saw one 12yrs ago with my mom with me, we were coming back from fredricton NB from a shopping trip and headed to our vacation home up there and it saunterd in front of us on the Trans Canada. They also said there were no cats up there yeah right! I will say i feel priviledged to see such wild beauty in its natural habitat but I am also grateful we were in the car. I saw an odd animal in CT last week in my back yard and I am glad my husband saw it. It was jet black big 60lb long and crazy as it sounds waddled seal like. I thought it was a cat and my husband thought it was a killer woodchuck (wrong color,wrong size)

Sounds like a fisher cat!!
Daddy

United States

#16 Apr 4, 2010
It was me, sorry. I liked Robins back yard and decided I would spend the night!:) jk, but I think what yall are seeing might happen to be a rather large bobcat.
SGC

Glastonbury, CT

#17 Jun 10, 2010
I saw a strange feline creature in a wooded area of Glastonbury, CT the other night, around dinnertime. Sunlight was still very bright, and I was very near and got a good look at it. Was feline, taller and longer than a housecat (more like the size of a small lab). But it was very very skinny. Had a long tail, very short hair, was a mottled gray color, and was not scared of me in the least and in no hurry. Seemed much too thin to be a bobcat. Could it have been a small, skinny cougar? Have seen many foxes, coyotes, fisher cats...but have never seen anything like this.

Since: Jun 10

Chicopee, MA

#18 Jun 26, 2010
SeniorofWA07 wrote:
I was walking home today June 14 2007 on Pulpit Rock Road in Woodstock, CT and right before I crossed the stream across from the wetlands right after Fort Hill, I heard a rustling ahead of me. I looked up towards where the stream and on the left side going into the woods away from the wetlands, something very large leaped across the 10 foot river bed and very silently made its way off into the woods. This occurred at approx 2:00PM. I got home hopped on Google and started researching. I do not think it was a deer because I am an avid woodsman and it did not move like a deer nor look like one. I only saw the tail end. It had a long tail with a dark ring around the base. It had brownish fur, and I first thought it to be a deer except, it had paws rather than hoofs, the long tail and moved more like a cat. I am an avid woodsman and it did not move like a deer or look like one. It was low to the ground and except for the initial leap made no other noise, in exiting away. It was larger than my border collie yet smaller than my friends Bull Mastiff. I couldn't see the face, which would have been more useful in identifying it. I am unaware of what it was, though I believe it may have been an adolescent mountain lion or a rather large lynx. The most prominent distinguishing feature I observed was the long tail with the dark ring at the base. Not intending to scare anyone; it moved away from me, and did not attempt to come near me. My heart rate stayed the same, and I was more curious than anything else. Has anyone else seen this animal or have a better idea of what it could be??
I have some family that lives in Union and they were tellin me a few months back that they released a few mountain lions to help with the fisher cat population. maybe this is what you seen? Im from MA and we have had one in the back of our woods also.
Jared

United States

#19 Jul 6, 2010
My father just the other night saw a Bob cat crossing his property on the Thompson Common. May be the same cat sited in Woodstock.
mystified

Portland, CT

#20 Jul 21, 2010
SGC wrote:
I saw a strange feline creature in a wooded area of Glastonbury, CT the other night, around dinnertime. Sunlight was still very bright, and I was very near and got a good look at it. Was feline, taller and longer than a housecat (more like the size of a small lab). But it was very very skinny. Had a long tail, very short hair, was a mottled gray color, and was not scared of me in the least and in no hurry. Seemed much too thin to be a bobcat. Could it have been a small, skinny cougar? Have seen many foxes, coyotes, fisher cats...but have never seen anything like this.

I believe I saw a very similar animal in Griswold. I know it is not, but it actually reminded me of a Lemur, but I assume it is just a strange looking Fisher Cat.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodstock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Putnam High School Student passes away Friday (Mar '06) Nov 17 JuliannaMD19 11
Debate: Gay Marriage - Woodstock, CT (Jan '12) Nov 4 Jessie Anderson 2
Habitat for Humanity home dedicated in Putnam Nov 1 Kkm 1
Racism in Eastern Connecticut often hidden (Jan '07) Aug '14 furble 18
Best time entertainment scam Jun '14 Ripped Off 1
Best Towns for CT Teens Cluster in Northeast Jun '14 lemmings 1
New old business opens (May '14) May '14 Carla 1

Winter Storm Warning for Windham County was issued at November 25 at 3:14PM EST

Woodstock Dating
Find my Match