Racism in Eastern Connecticut often hidden

Lurena Clark said she's encountered two kinds of racist store clerks -- those who gaze at her black skin and follow her as she shops and individuals who won't look at or talk with her. Full Story
Sara Smith

AOL

#1 Jan 20, 2007
WEll I would not be to worried about that as it would depend on what store she was in. If it was an antique store everyone is followed and lets face it no one talks in the Quiet Corner of New England
Anon

New London, CT

#2 Dec 3, 2007
I was looking at home in this area and my Grandmother told me not to bother because this part of the state is infamous for racism. Is this true. I really dont want to spend money in a place where my family and I are not wanted.
george

Plainfield, CT

#3 Dec 21, 2007
the majority of whites in connecticut are in fact anti-white! guilty white liberals abound, you haven't much to worry about in terms of being black, move on in!

On the other hand, if you happened to be a young white male who is NOT influenced in any way by the 'Hip-Hop' culture, you'd be in for a world of hurt and discrimination. Allow me to explain:

Most of the white women in this state are uninterested in white men unless they dress and act 'Thug.' They date and make children with black men almost exclusively, and the local government goes out of it's way to accommodate these people for making the children. Also of concern is the fact that most of these sperm donors are crack-dealing thugs who give-out dirty looks to lone white men like it's going out of style. Enjoy!
menotq

Meriden, CT

#4 Dec 21, 2007
Racism exists in No.East Ct.! Is there a place in CT. where it doesn't ?? I happen to be white & live in Brooklyn. Whoever denies racism here is either fooling themselves or their story exists in their own head! I have lived here 20 years. Go to any area McDonalds & listen to the ignorance spill from locals that want to blame everyone else for their despairs. Parts of No. East Ct. are still very depressed and along with poverty, transportation,education; are issues that No.East Ct. continues to struggle with. I believe there is hope and I'd hate to see any color or race be afraid to move here. Diversity brings power to all people. Especially in places there is indeed a history of intolerance, that's excatly where we need diversity.

Since: Dec 07

usa

#5 Dec 21, 2007
Sara Smith wrote:
WEll I would not be to worried about that as it would depend on what store she was in. If it was an antique store everyone is followed and lets face it no one talks in the Quiet Corner of New England
whats up with this comment, you down on antiques dealers. People talk!

Since: Dec 07

usa

#6 Dec 21, 2007
Anon wrote:
I was looking at home in this area and my Grandmother told me not to bother because this part of the state is infamous for racism. Is this true. I really dont want to spend money in a place where my family and I are not wanted.
Take a chance,we need ya, and we not all racists
here in the quiet corners.
Jake

Glastonbury, CT

#7 Dec 26, 2007
If You wont to work, Your welcome..... O and pull your pants up!
Nick

Southbury, CT

#8 Dec 28, 2007
I think there is more to racism than just how people treat each other relationally (intentional racism). From what I understand the deeper levels of racism are built into the structure of how our communities work, how our organizations work, which isn't necessarily intentional but a reality.

Evidence of such racism are seen in a variety of ways: access to jobs, access to home ownership, access to quality education, access to health insurance, and so on. Across the nation, there is a significant gap between white and asian folks and black, indian, and hispanic folks--and this is across all well-being categories. So, our northeast corner is not immune.

However, given that the northeast is approximately 95% white, it is difficult to see these forms of racism. A more clear picture would involve talking with and hearing stories from our residents who do not have white skin: black, asian, american indian, hispanic, immigrants (illegal or not).

In my view, most if not all white people have a share in racism because it is not tied to intentions. It is a reality in the USA that there is "white-skin" privilege that those with non-white skin mostly cannot share the benefits of. In areas of considerable poverty, though, white privilege is less visible.

I also believe there is reverse racism, where residents with darker skin spout racist comments and act racist to themselves--buying into the mentality of the broader white culture.

White privilege doesn't mean that white people are bad, it is just the reality of the way our society operates. And once we are aware of white privilege, then we are able to make sure that people of all colors of skin can get equal access to basic rights. Stereotypes only serve to maintain racism.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this.
Jake

Glastonbury, CT

#9 Dec 28, 2007
I completely agree. Our society gives us many things, Like the ability to watch BET all day, and free legal help from the NAACP, O and lets not forget welfare and jail.
I am happy that my many years of hard work and taxes have provided me with such amenities……
anonymous

Sandy Hook, CT

#10 Jan 26, 2008
george wrote:
the majority of whites in connecticut are in fact anti-white!
don't act like you know what you're talking about. ct is full of racist biggots probably like yourself.
Sam

Willimantic, CT

#11 Feb 10, 2008
Racebaiters
louise

Belo Horizonte, Brazil

#12 Feb 17, 2008
im sorry that Uncasville or the state of connecticut have this kind of behavior, unfortunately i didnt know this and right now i have a person that i know, that lives there and now im not seing the thinghs so nice for us
pretzel

Willington, CT

#13 Feb 18, 2008
sad..very.
Gabe

North Stonington, CT

#15 Mar 6, 2008
There is no question that racism exists in Connecticut. Evidence of this is everywhere. Just look at the news in towns like Plainfield, New Haven, or Norwich. I think most of this racism springs from lack of education/ignorance, fear, and lack of communication.

From May 17th-Sept 7 2008, there is a compelling Exhibit regarding race and racism at the Pequot Museum in Ledyard CT. The exhibit is called “Race- Are We So Different? The goal of this exhibit is to help people from all different backgrounds understand the manifestations of race and racism through a cultural, historical and scientific perspective.

The genius behind this exhibit is that it requires participation and interaction from the attendees. Each individual that enters the exhibit is presented with thought provoking challenges which test their preconceived notions, general knowledge, and attitudes towards the physical appearances of others. The exhibits are set up to evoke self examination and open a discussion concerning an issue that affects everyone-in all aspects and facets of community life.

more info can be found at www.understandingrace.org or www.pequotmuseum.org
Bethany

Gilford, NH

#16 Apr 2, 2013
I grew up in RI, the cost of living there are through the roof. I would love to live in Connecticut it is close to RI to all my family and friends. I would like the killington area, but I have a lot of family that tell me because we are a mixed couple do not move to that area. they have KKK meetings in the woods in the eatern side of CT. so dont let anyone tell you different. Last thing you need to to make a wrong turn and run into a rally.
Love

Torrington, CT

#17 Aug 25, 2014
Yes there is racism in CT, even in the Northwestern part, racial profiling by the police, harassment intimidation, bullying on the job, being watched while you shop and everyday nonsensical racist comments while you in public ex restaurants, games and parties in CT!. These people have to contend with God when they die and have an elevator straight to hell when this happens. Just the other day I overhead a guy say he was going to the white house with a sniper to kill the President because he was black, and that he wasn't ashamed of being a racist! Go figure!
furble

United States

#18 Aug 30, 2014
wHAT!? you do not know a woman. thugs?? bahahahaha no suh! i like men in uniform, clean cut,educated, kind hearted , moral, well built,sweet talker but witty, calm ,cool,,collected. and he doesnt do drugs, thugs do drugs, and sleep with teens. thugs dont have a income to suport a family or even buy pizza! you funny honey. wad up wit dat? pull ur pants up boy!
furble

United States

#19 Aug 30, 2014
ITS NOT A COLOR , ITS THE WAY A PERSON IS IN THERE HEART THAT MATTERS,, MUCH MUCH LOVE! ITS JUST HARD TO FIND REAL LOVE IN TODAYS WORLD.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodstock Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Best time entertainment scam Jun '14 Ripped Off 1
Best Towns for CT Teens Cluster in Northeast Jun '14 lemmings 1
New old business opens May '14 Carla 1
Castle-like house being built in Connecticut (Mar '08) Mar '14 twoodstck 21
Wierd Animal possible big cat sighting? (Jun '07) Feb '14 nephilim 46
Review: Strand Hair Salon The (Dec '13) Dec '13 lindsey_daisy 1
Who do you support for U.S. House in Connecticu... (Oct '10) Sep '13 Buck Idleburg 15
Woodstock Dating
Find my Match

Woodstock Jobs

Woodstock People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Woodstock News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Woodstock

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]