SCFB

Medford, NY

#1849 Sep 4, 2012
Miller Place @ Tri-State Small School #9??? Where are these props coming from? I heard they were going to be good...BUT #9?
suff III

East Islip, NY

#1850 Sep 4, 2012
In case you missed it:

Last Year Sayville Football was Number Ranked #1 New York State. Steven ferriera was Named "A" Player of the year.

Sayville Soccer produced the New York State Player of the Year In Dakota Edwards.

Sayville Softball New York State Champs. Melissa Selts Named New York State Softball Player of the year!!

Player of the Year in 3 different sports was quite a year!!!!
Freeport in the house

Elmont, NY

#1851 Sep 4, 2012
suff III wrote:
In case you missed it:
Last Year Sayville Football was Number Ranked #1 New York State. Steven ferriera was Named "A" Player of the year.
Sayville Soccer produced the New York State Player of the Year In Dakota Edwards.
Sayville Softball New York State Champs. Melissa Selts Named New York State Softball Player of the year!!
. Wow that is awesome great school and proud tradition awesome really.
wow

Long Beach, NY

#1852 Sep 4, 2012
suff III wrote:
In case you missed it:
Oh man, insert the bad Bigtool response here. To everyone else it's an AMAZING accomplishment the whole town should be proud of, but he'll spin it into something idiotic, racist, and foolish.
Callaway 57

Palm Springs, CA

#1853 Sep 4, 2012
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Freeport, you are making a good point. High School sports are not like college or pro sports. The history of a team really has nothing to do with the outcome of a season. For the most part you have 2 seasons with a group of boys, if you are lucky.
Coaches come and go, school districts prioritize differently, populations go up and down as well. Yes, some schools are traditionaly strong in one sport as opposed to others. When I went to school (1970s) Oceanside was THE school in Nassau for soccer. Has that translated into anything in recent years? No, plenty of other schools have become powers or one year wonders.
Stats are wonderful and maybe you can use them to point out things regarding a season that passed. But, how can we judge a team this year, going by last year's stats? Freeport is a great example. Graduation has taken away so many skill players. Can we expect the same offense with Barnes, Brown and Lapice no longer there?
Any given year soemthing good can happen to any sports program. It might be the start of a long history of winning, or it might be just the right time and place. I can't use High School stats as a barametor.
Maybe you can explain to me why since 1992 there have been basicly three times that have won or have been runner ups in the Conference I NCC playoffs since 1992?

Farmingdale 6X NCC Champs

Farmingdale 6X NCC Runner Ups

Freeport 6X NCC Champs

Freeport 5X NCC Runner Ups

Massapequa 3X NCC Champs

Massapequa 4X NCC Runner Ups

The rest are Baldwin 1X NCC Champs 2X NCC runner up, East Meadow 2X NCC Champs 0 times runner up, Lawrence 1X NCC Champ 1X runner up, Hempstead 0 times NCC Champs 1 time runner up, Uniondale 1X NCC Champs 0 times runner up.

Aren't there 14 teams in Conference I? So based upon the above stats it seems to me that 7 have controlled the playoffs (Lawrence is no longer in Conference I)since 1992.
Nassau 3

East Rockaway, NY

#1854 Sep 5, 2012
Freeport in the house wrote:
<quoted text>. Interesting who will be riverheads comp, think Nassau con 2 is down this year hearing Gc is not that strong. Give st.ants a shot at bergen catholic?
GC is down this year but as always they will probably find a way to win.
Freeport in the house

Elmont, NY

#1855 Sep 5, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Maybe you can explain to me why since 1992 there have been basicly three times that have won or have been runner ups in the Conference I NCC playoffs since 1992?
Freeport 6X NCC Champs
Massapequa 3X NCC Champs
The rest are Baldwin 1X NCC Champs 2X NCC runner up, East Meadow 2X NCC Champs 0 times runner up, Lawrence 1X NCC Champ 1X runner up, Hempstead 0 times NCC Champs 1 time runner up, Uniondale 1X NCC Champs 0 times runner up.
Aren't there 14 teams in Conference I? So based upon the above stats it seems to me that 7 have controlled the playoffs (Lawrence is no longer in Conference I)since 1992.
lawrence was in con 1 till 2000, only the 96 & 97 season they were in 2. I KNOW CAUSE WE PLAYED THEM IN 94, 95,98, 99 00- bUT I dont agree with you any team can win any given year.
Footballready

Far Rockaway, NY

#1856 Sep 5, 2012
Nassau 3 wrote:
GC is down this year but as always they will probably find a way to win.
Your history gives a probaility of how well you may do.GC reeport
Footballready

Far Rockaway, NY

#1857 Sep 5, 2012
Freeport,Lawrence,Floyd, Sayville, Bethpage the list goes on.
ESM

Saint James, NY

#1858 Sep 5, 2012
LIfan wrote:
<quoted text>Riverhead's offense will be on a par with anyone...we'll see how the year pans out. Was surprised Floyd ahead of St. Ants...I root for the publics but can't see Floyd's line hanging with the Friars depth for 4 quarters. On the other hand, the St. Ants qb must have really worked on things since the playoffs last year...didn't think he'd be starting this year - yes, I know he's a D1 lax commit.
I would have been surprised at Floyd being ranked higher than ST Ants too if I didn't see them both in preseason. If Floyd stays healthy and of course academically eligible I think this could be a team we'll be talking about for awhile.
Da Fan

White Plains, NY

#1859 Sep 5, 2012
ESM wrote:
<quoted text>
I would have been surprised at Floyd being ranked higher than ST Ants too if I didn't see them both in preseason. If Floyd stays healthy and of course academically eligible I think this could be a team we'll be talking about for awhile.
Floyd never really has a problem with their players being academically eligible. Longo and company run a pretty tighht ship and for the most part his football players do well in school. Plus I am pretty sure its based on the kids grades from last years 4th quarter. So if a player did bad he would already be academically ineligible. As for Floyd being a head of St Anthony's in the tri-state poll. I disagree with it, especially if they beat or even play close with Bergen Catholic. If they get killed on Friday night and Floyd beats up on Connetquot then I dont have a problem with it. I think the rankings will change next week because I think St. Anthony's is going to keep it close but we shall see.
Callaway 57

Palm Springs, CA

#1861 Sep 5, 2012
<quoted text>
lawrence was in con 1 till 2000, only the 96 & 97 season they were in 2. I KNOW CAUSE WE PLAYED THEM IN 94, 95,98, 99 00- bUT I dont agree with you any team can win any given year.
I believe your incorrect about Lawrence. Since 1992 Lawrence won the Conference I NCC in 1995, was runner up in 1994. Lawrence won the Conference II NCC in 1997, 2006, and 2007, where runner up in 1996, 2001, and 2002. Won the Conference III NCC in 2009, and 2011. They were also runner in the Conference III NCC in 2010.

I never said "any team can win on any given year", the stats I have posted prove just the opposite. That was another poster.
An Old Sailor

AOL

#1863 Sep 5, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freeport 6X NCC Champs
Massapequa 3X NCC Champs
Yes, those teams have controlled the playoffs as you put it. The reason is pretty simple and it has nothing to do with offense or defense. It has to do with community involvement, coaching, and student interest. If a program has a tradition of winning, kids go out for that team. No matter what the sport, kids like to be associated with winners. Ask any 12 year old who his favorite baseball team is and its a pretty sure bet he'll say the Yankees and his favorite player is Derek Jeter. What type of kid program is there in the town" Is the varsity coach involved at every level of the school program? The teams that have dominated the Conference are repeaters due to those factors. You can quote stats, but it really has to do with the quality of the athletes that are playing in any given year.
I never said Oceanside was going to win anything this year. However, as long as Rob Blount is the coach of the program they will continue to be more competitive than they ever were under Roy Kessenich, Frank Luisi, and Mike Janosko.
Callaway 57

Palm Springs, CA

#1864 Sep 5, 2012
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes, those teams have controlled the playoffs as you put it. The reason is pretty simple and it has nothing to do with offense or defense. It has to do with community involvement, coaching, and student interest. If a program has a tradition of winning, kids go out for that team. No matter what the sport, kids like to be associated with winners. Ask any 12 year old who his favorite baseball team is and its a pretty sure bet he'll say the Yankees and his favorite player is Derek Jeter. What type of kid program is there in the town" Is the varsity coach involved at every level of the school program? The teams that have dominated the Conference are repeaters due to those factors. You can quote stats, but it really has to do with the quality of the athletes that are playing in any given year.
I never said Oceanside was going to win anything this year. However, as long as Rob Blount is the coach of the program they will continue to be more competitive than they ever were under Roy Kessenich, Frank Luisi, and Mike Janosko.
Excellent post, enjoyed reading it. You made some really solid points.
LIfan

Babylon, NY

#1865 Sep 5, 2012
<quoted text>. Interesting who will be riverheads comp, think Nassau con 2 is down this year hearing Gc is not that strong. Give st.ants a shot at bergen catholic?
My heart wants St.Ants to have a shot...all I know is that the coaches will have them prepared...but so will BC's. I'm curious if the younger Gowins is starting in the backfield for St. Ants this year. Was surprised to hear Coach Reichert say this was his best backfield ever...he's had some good ones...don't know if he was just blowing smoke or meant it!
LIfan

Babylon, NY

#1866 Sep 5, 2012
ESM wrote:
<quoted text>
wow...I haven't seen them so I have no idea but sounds like a pretty solid endorsement!
An Old Sailor

AOL

#1867 Sep 5, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Excellent post, enjoyed reading it. You made some really solid points.
Thanks Callaway. I appreciate what you bring to this forum. I know that you have all of the stats and can tell us about any program on the Island. Now lets just sit back and enjoy the season.
Freeport in the house

Elmont, NY

#1868 Sep 5, 2012
Callaway 57 wrote:
<quoted text>
Freeport 6X NCC Champs
Massapequa 3X NCC Champs
Your comment says Lawrence was no longer in conference 1 since 1992 how am i wrong? They were in conference 1 in 92,93,94,95,98, 99, 00 only 96 & 97 were they in 2. Freeport played them in 94,95,98,99, 00-
Callaway 57

Palm Springs, CA

#1869 Sep 5, 2012
An Old Sailor wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks Callaway. I appreciate what you bring to this forum. I know that you have all of the stats and can tell us about any program on the Island. Now lets just sit back and enjoy the season.
Sounds good to me.
LIfan

Babylon, NY

#1870 Sep 5, 2012
coaching drives hs football...the right coach with the knowledge, desire and personality (and time) is what creates a program that grows and becomes a perenial contender. Many more bottom feeders than top programs...this is why the same teams seem to dominate year after year.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodside Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
OBAMA is the BEST PRESIDENT EVER (Nov '10) 8 min Guinness Drinker 17,560
Thousands Protest Roe V. Wade Decision (Jan '08) 18 min R C Honey 308,054
Once slow-moving threat, global warming speeds ... (Dec '08) 20 min Chicken Little 50,483
A Fervent Cop Supporter Changes His Mind About ... 29 min Real Worlder 16
jets talk back (Dec '07) 35 min Paul Yanks 10,461
Massive fire in Brooklyn engulfs warehouse 1 hr Black Annie 1
What's in Your Wallet? Nothing but Lint 1 hr Vincent John Ward 1

Winter Storm Watch for Queens County was issued at January 31 at 9:49AM EST

Woodside News Video

Woodside Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Woodside People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance