NAACP gives Romney standing ovation

Posted in the Woodland Forum

Since: Feb 09

Woodland, CA

#1 Jul 12, 2012
Did you hear that Mitt Romney got a standing ovation during his speech to the NAACP convention in Houston? You didn’t…How can that be? Don’t you watch TV news, listen to the radio, or read the newspaper? You do. Good, so you keep informed.

Hmmm…But how did you miss the standing O? Shirley the news media report included that Romney brought the crowd to their feet a couple times. Yes, he was also booed when he mentioned that he would repeal Obamacare but that’s not really news that would’ve been expected.

Wow! The news media reported that Romney was booed by the NAACP but they omitted the fact that the crowd cheered when he said marriage should be between a man and a woman. Kinda biased reporting I’d say.

So, if you get your news from the “mainstream” news media you’re not informed you’re misinformed…But that’s not really news it’s expected.
Bubba

Elk Grove, CA

#2 Jul 12, 2012
More biased and distorted horseshit from the Tea Bagger screwball cwi530!

I watched several TV news reports of Obama's speech (one on the Tea Bagger hated MSNBC!) and also read the article in the Sacramento Bee (actually attributed to the Los Angeles Times) and they all mentioned the standing ovation at the beginning of the speech, the polite and attentive applause at other times and then the boos several times when Romney started talking rubbish (my word, not theirs!) It seemed like a pretty fair and balanced assessment of the speech to me. Of course the Tea Baggers want the media to treat Romney like he was the second coming of Jesus Christ! How dare anybody boo their "savior" and how dare the media report those boos! Shocking! Does Rush know about this yet?

Here's how the Times/Bee covered it. Judge for yourself!

HOUSTON -- Mitt Romney's speech before the nation's oldest civil rights organization was framed by his campaign as an olive branch to the black community and a promise to be a president for all people. But his sharp criticisms of President Barack Obama and his vow to repeal Obama's health care plan drew sustained boos - and some in the audience left more energized to work against his campaign.

Romney, whose father was a forceful advocate for civil rights as governor of Michigan, has campaigned before predominantly white audiences for much of the last year, but he received a standing ovation when he arrived to speak to the annual convention of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People in Houston, where many members praised him for having the courage to show up even though 95 percent of black voters supported Obama four years ago.

The NAACP's reception, at first, was polite and appreciative as Romney argued that he would champion school reform to close the achievement gap between white and minority students, and that his economic policies would help lift Americans from poverty and aid middle-class Americans "of all races."

There were nods of approval when he noted that few had expected 50 years ago that a black man would become the nation's 44th president and asserted that despite the civil rights movement of that era "many barriers remain" and "old inequities persist."

But murmurs of disagreement ran through crowd when he argued that his policies would help "families of any color more than the policies and leadership of President Obama." And he was met with loud boos when he said he would reduce spending in part by eliminating "expensive, nonessential programs" and repealing the health care law. For 15 seconds, Romney stood quietly, smiling at the audience as they voiced their disapproval.

And the former Massachusetts governor appeared to have lost his crowd when he said the president had failed in his promises to create jobs and "better educate tomorrow's workers."

"I have no hidden agenda. If you want a president who will make things better in the African-American community, you are looking at him," Romney said to boos. He paused and nodded firmly before carrying on with his speech: "Take a look."

Romney's audience, in many respects, was not the audience that sat restlessly before him in the Houston convention center, but rather the independent swing voters who are looking for signs that he will be a welcoming and inclusive leader.

His forceful language about the president's performance and policies, although bold, surprised some members of the audience. Some attendees gave him kudos for not softening his message, but said they had expected a more statesmanlike and less partisan speech.

Tara Wall, who is handling outreach to African-American for the campaign, noted that there was "a lot more applause than there were boos."

"They thanked us for showing up; they appreciate us for showing up. I will take that along with the applause over three (rounds of) boos," she said.
Bubba

Elk Grove, CA

#3 Jul 12, 2012
Below in full is another report from sfgate (San Francisco Chronicle website) via Bloomberg which clearly mentions the standing ovation as well as the boos. When ANY politician gets boos it's news, much more so than the applause which you can usually take for granted. Obama got booed for something minor he said in a speech a couple of weeks ago and that too was widely reported.

Try explaining that to the screwball Tea Baggers like cwi530 though! Any excuse to bash the media except for Fox News and their personal guru and Messiah Rush Limbaugh of course! The right wing wackos only want to hear what supports their ignorant and bigoted political philosophy and agenda! They would have made great Nazis, jack booted book burners in particular! Heil Romney!

ROMNEY GETS OVATION AT NAACP AFTER BOOS ON OBAMA CRITICISM
John McCormick,©2012 Bloomberg News

July 11 (Bloomberg)-- Mitt Romney, trying to defeat the first black U.S. president, drew boos at times during a speech to the nation’s oldest civil-rights group as he said his policies would help the economic interests of blacks more than those of the Obama administration.

“If you want a president who will make things better in the African American community, you’re looking at him,” Romney said, one of several lines that prompted booing during his 25- minute address today at the national convention of the NAACP in Houston.

Romney, who received a standing ovation from most in the audience at the end of his remarks, was also booed when he said he would repeal the health-care legislation that has been the signature accomplishment of President Barack Obama’s tenure in office.

“If you understood who I truly am in my heart, and if it were possible to fully communicate what I believe is in the real, enduring best interest of African-American families, you would vote for me for president,” the presumptive Republican nominee said.

PITCH FOR LEADERSHIP

“I want you to know that if I did not believe that my policies and my leadership would help families of color -- and families of any color -- more than the policies and leadership of President Obama, I wouldn’t be running for president,” said Romney.

He is unlikely to capture the votes of many members of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People over Obama, who won 95 percent of the black vote four years ago, according to exit polls. Still, it would have looked bad for Romney to turn down the group’s invitation, political observers said.

“Were he not to attend the convention, that would send a negative signal to many swing voters,” Mark Jones, chairman of the political science department at Rice University in Houston, said before the speech.“It’s not a friendly venue for any Republican, but it could send a positive signal to the population at large.”

Four years ago, Senator John McCain of Arizona, then the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, told the NAACP that he would expand educational opportunities, partly through vouchers for low-income children to attend private school. He also praised Obama, then a senator from Illinois, for his historic campaign.

Romney, in an interview after his speech with the Fox Business Network, said of the boos directed at him:“I think we expected that.”

Woodland, CA

#4 Jul 13, 2012
Hey Bubba...Uh...I'm fairly certain that you can read but...Now stay with me...the topic here is Romney's speech at the NAACP yet you started your rant "I watched several TV news reports of Obama's speech". Bubba, I know you have a hard time staying focused but you got the wrong speech my friend. In fact, Bubba, you got the wrong year. Obama did not bother to show up at the NAACP convention. He sent his bitch Biden probably because unemployment for blacks is over 40% and Obama didn't want to get booed.

So sorry Bub, I couldn't get past the firt sentence of your reguritated liberal crap.

You're losing it already and it's only July.
Bubba

Elk Grove, CA

#5 Jul 13, 2012
cwi530 wrote:
Hey Bubba...Uh...I'm fairly certain that you can read but...Now stay with me...the topic here is Romney's speech at the NAACP yet you started your rant "I watched several TV news reports of Obama's speech". Bubba, I know you have a hard time staying focused but you got the wrong speech my friend. In fact, Bubba, you got the wrong year. Obama did not bother to show up at the NAACP convention. He sent his bitch Biden probably because unemployment for blacks is over 40% and Obama didn't want to get booed.
So sorry Bub, I couldn't get past the firt sentence of your reguritated liberal crap.
You're losing it already and it's only July.
Big freaking deal...I inadvertently substituted the name of one Presidential candidate (Obama, the smart one!) where I was obviously referring to the other one (Romney, the dumb one!). What I meant was quite clear due to the subject matter of the thread. Again I proved you full of shit with your verbal diarrhea pumped as usual by you straight from Rush Limbaugh's asshole! As usual you have no rebuttal to me setting you straight! The media got it right, you biased and goofy Tea Baggers are nuts! What else is new?

Obama didn't have to show up at the NAACP convention. He was campaigning elsewhere and already has the overwhelming majority fo the black vote! Similarly Romney has real need to appear at a KKK rally if you know what I mean and I think you do! Biden did the job for Obama quite well, didn't get booed and got much more applause and several standing ovations.

Wrong again on all counts you crazy Tea Bagger motherf***er! LOL

Woodland, CA

#6 Jul 13, 2012
Once again Bubba blah blah blah. You got nothing, you bring nothing, you offer nothing. The only you proved is that you're clearly a liberal moron who's got a fetish for Limbaugh's ass.
Bubba

Elk Grove, CA

#7 Jul 13, 2012
cwi530 wrote:
Once again Bubba blah blah blah. You got nothing, you bring nothing, you offer nothing. The only you proved is that you're clearly a liberal moron who's got a fetish for Limbaugh's ass.
You're the one that has nothing...besides a fecal matter covered head from having it stuck up Rush Limbaugh's poop chute 24/7! You lost another one Goofy! The media DID report the applause as well as the well deserved boos. Just the opposite of what you said! Rush shitted you the wrong turds again!

Now it turns out (according to an NAACP official) that Numbnuts Romney brought a couple of busloads of non NAACP black folks again to cheer old Numbnuts on as he babbled the usual Tea Bagger up there on the stage! Who would have thought? The only question is where did they find a busload or two of black people crazy enough to vote for Romney whose only interest is this fat cat white homies! Who can forget his memorable "I don't care about poor people!" and "I like to fire people!". Oh well...his wife Ann drives "a couple of Cadillacs"! That should resonate well with the downtrodden masses! LOL

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodland Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Bill Would End Life Prison Terms for Teens (Jan '08) 20 hr Judge Bean 104
News Sheriff Claims Officer Justified in DUI Shooting (Apr '08) Tue Gronk 134
News Vacaville schools official: Measure A projects ... Tue LOL 7
why do Jim and Mike double team? (Apr '09) Mon hamilton snark 40
The Corner Coffee Shop: The new NOTHING Thread (Jan '08) Mar 28 hamilton snark 6,780
News Yolo Animal Control Officer arrested on suspici... (Oct '10) Mar 27 HSUS and UN agend... 48
News Judicial council honors Johnson (Jun '09) Mar 26 Disgusted 6
More from around the web

Woodland People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]