Lead in school water alarms parents

Full story: LA Daily News

For nearly two decades, the Los Angeles Unified School District has relied on its staff to flush hundreds of campus drinking fountains every day to help lower any lead levels in the water, but tracking began ...

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Katie J

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Apr 27, 2008
 

Judged:

1

We sure pick 'em to be in charge.
How can Brewer be so sure no "children have been harmed?"
Let him and his children drink that water for seven K through 6 years. Maybe he did drink it and the lead filled his brain allowing him to make such a ridiculous statement.
And how much water was wasted flushing those pipes? No one thought it would be more economical and wiser to replace the pipes. What idiots!
Scott L

Huntington Beach, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Apr 27, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

It ultimately doesn't matter how much lead is in the water. What matters is how much is too much to assure that the water's safe to drink. Anyone gotten sick from drinking water at a school? Where are the studies to back up the need to spend money to fix what may not be a problem? If kids are getting sick, by all means let's fix the problem. But this might not be the time to spend more money the state doesn't have.
MIke

Burbank, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Apr 27, 2008
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Give your kids bottled water to take to school. Problem solved.
Margery Brown

El Monte, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Apr 27, 2008
 
IIf the problem is corroded water pipes, and there is no money to replace them, why not bring a supply of bottled water into the school for the children to drink? Or, allow the students to bring in their own bottles of water in their backpacks. The school could even sell the bottles of water for a school fundraiser, and eventually accumulate enough money to replace the plumbing.
When the Red Cross is present at a community disaster (i.e. earthquakes or fires), arrangements are made to bring in trucks full of large bottles of water for the victims. The children in these school certainly should qualify as victims, or potential victims.
why

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Apr 27, 2008
 
the lausd has repeatedly shown that it cannot be trusted to regulate it self - whether it is Belmont and the almost $1 BILLION wasted due to corruption and stupidity, whether it is the re-assignment of LAUSD personnel who sexually abuse and molest students, like the Catholic Church, or the contaminated water in schools.

worse, the REPUBLICAN district attorney steve cooley does nothing about Belmont, nothing about the re-assignment of LAUSD personnel who sexually abuse and molest students, and he will do nothing here too.

sure, the DA may have gone after a few priest and a few LAUSD sexual predators, but he does absolutely nothing about those behind the scenes who knew and instead of doing something merely re-assign elsewhere. think about it, why have not the co-conspirators been charged??

same here, these school officials knew the law, but did nothing!!!

all they have to do is hire an attorney who made a contribution to steve cooley re-election and no charges will be made.

wanna bet????
Concerned Woodlake Parent

Woodland Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Apr 28, 2008
 
Margery Brown wrote:
IIf the problem is corroded water pipes, and there is no money to replace them, why not bring a supply of bottled water into the school for the children to drink? Or, allow the students to bring in their own bottles of water in their backpacks. The school could even sell the bottles of water for a school fundraiser, and eventually accumulate enough money to replace the plumbing.
When the Red Cross is present at a community disaster (i.e. earthquakes or fires), arrangements are made to bring in trucks full of large bottles of water for the victims. The children in these school certainly should qualify as victims, or potential victims.
This story began at my kids school - Woodlake. We knew the water was bad and last years PTA made a purchase to bring in $10,000.00 worth of bottled water to make sure that every child in the school had clean water until the pipes could be repaired. Unfortunately the staff, teachers and incoming PTSA put a stop to it. Teachers didn't want to be bothered with storing or handing it out - we offered to do it for them, but that wasn't acceptable. We were willing to stand at every gate, every day, and give every child a bottle of water. That wasn't good enough either. Since the school hasn't been straight forward with the water situation, most parents didn't know what was going on with the water quality at our school and that it wasn't safe to consume - now they do thanks to all of these reports. I'd like to know where the $10,000.00 worth of water went. What is more important than the health and safety of our children? At Woodlake it's teachers aides, copy machines with paid people to run them, and bucket toilets! What is most important at your school? If it's not the children-they should be ashamed. We hope these reports open a lot of eyes - what is your school hiding?? We may never know!
Concerned Parent

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Apr 28, 2008
 
Did last years PTSA spend money without telling us on Teachers aides, toilet buckets a copy machine and an aide to run it? That is news to me. They spent so much money last year without telling people where it went, that is why they got voted out. This June is when we vote out money again, let's all be there so we know where it is going. Last year they were so sneaky about it that I had no idea it went to those things. Unfortunately, the district didn't allow the water coolers in the class room which is what I remember being voted on. Again, last years PTSA was sneaky about how they spend the money. Let us all be there to vote
Concerned Woodlake Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
This story began at my kids school - Woodlake. We knew the water was bad and last years PTA made a purchase to bring in $10,000.00 worth of bottled water to make sure that every child in the school had clean water until the pipes could be repaired. Unfortunately the staff, teachers and incoming PTSA put a stop to it. Teachers didn't want to be bothered with storing or handing it out - we offered to do it for them, but that wasn't acceptable. We were willing to stand at every gate, every day, and give every child a bottle of water. That wasn't good enough either. Since the school hasn't been straight forward with the water situation, most parents didn't know what was going on with the water quality at our school and that it wasn't safe to consume - now they do thanks to all of these reports. I'd like to know where the $10,000.00 worth of water went. What is more important than the health and safety of our children? At Woodlake it's teachers aides, copy machines with paid people to run them, and bucket toilets! What is most important at your school? If it's not the children-they should be ashamed. We hope these reports open a lot of eyes - what is your school hiding?? We may never know!
Concerned Woodlake Parent

Woodland Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Apr 28, 2008
 
Concerned Parent wrote:
Did last years PTSA spend money without telling us on Teachers aides, toilet buckets a copy machine and an aide to run it? That is news to me. They spent so much money last year without telling people where it went, that is why they got voted out. This June is when we vote out money again, let's all be there so we know where it is going. Last year they were so sneaky about it that I had no idea it went to those things. Unfortunately, the district didn't allow the water coolers in the class room which is what I remember being voted on. Again, last years PTSA was sneaky about how they spend the money. Let us all be there to vote<quoted text>
Actually you misunderstood - these are items that came home on today's survey from your PTSA - teachers aides, toilet buckets, a copy machine and an aide to run it? Don't forget the two-way radios and murals! Every dime that was spent last year was first suggested by the association(through the survey that went home via backpack, e-mail and reminder e-mails) and voted out by the association at the advertised meeting. I guess you weren't paying attention then. Sneaky is stopping payment on clean drinking water during the summer when nobody is watching you. Also did you know that there were water coolers at our school the past two years? Providing clean drinking water to the children in those class rooms - I wish my child had been in that class. But once money is voted out corrently to provide for all - they are dangerous life threatening machines. I guess the lead in the tap water coming out of the faucets isn't a problem.
Educated Woodlake Parent

Waianae, HI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Apr 28, 2008
 
Last years PTSA was transparent with everything that they did. Lots of trees were wasted with the flyers that were sent out repeatedly asking for the parents opinions on what money should be spent on. Not to mention all the articles in the newsletter that told you how much money was raised at each event. Last year the PTSA spent the money on the students of Woodlake. This year the PTSA wants to spend money on teachers aides, copy machines, toilet buckets and other things that don't benefit the students of the school. There were no secrets last year, I can't say the same thing about this year -- only people spreading lies. The truth is out there, but you have to ask enough people and you have to not believe what the first person tells you. Last years PTSA did not return this year because the teachers at Woodlake wanted to spend the money their way and they now have a PTSA board that is willing to give them what they want -- and not what the students need. You may believe what you want, but the truth is only a few questions away -- ask the questions.
Concerned Parent wrote:
Did last years PTSA spend money without telling us on Teachers aides, toilet buckets a copy machine and an aide to run it? That is news to me. They spent so much money last year without telling people where it went, that is why they got voted out. This June is when we vote out money again, let's all be there so we know where it is going. Last year they were so sneaky about it that I had no idea it went to those things. Unfortunately, the district didn't allow the water coolers in the class room which is what I remember being voted on. Again, last years PTSA was sneaky about how they spend the money. Let us all be there to vote<quoted text>
L-A Is Doomed

Glendale, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Apr 28, 2008
 
Get used to it
Concerned Parent

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Apr 28, 2008
 
I also saw on the survey Physical Education, Art Program, Choral music, field Trips, Computer lab program and murals. This is all for the kids,is it not? Vote for what you want. It is very similar to the same survey they sent out last year. Not everything got voted on, it is just the survey. Last years survey also included a copy aide,a duplo machine etc. That is the great thing about this democracy, we can vote for what we want!! By the way, what is wrong with having murals to beautify the school? Last year they spent $23,000 on benches that the kids don't even get to use. They could have brought in a good computer program for the computer lab for the kids. I did hear that there were classrooms that did have coolers and it put the principal at risk. If you were to take full responsibility if anything happened and possibly lose your house, your job and your livelyhood, then sign up. I don't blame our principal for not wanting to do that.
Concerned Woodlake Parent wrote:
<quoted text>
Actually you misunderstood - these are items that came home on today's survey from your PTSA - teachers aides, toilet buckets, a copy machine and an aide to run it? Don't forget the two-way radios and murals! Every dime that was spent last year was first suggested by the association(through the survey that went home via backpack, e-mail and reminder e-mails) and voted out by the association at the advertised meeting. I guess you weren't paying attention then. Sneaky is stopping payment on clean drinking water during the summer when nobody is watching you. Also did you know that there were water coolers at our school the past two years? Providing clean drinking water to the children in those class rooms - I wish my child had been in that class. But once money is voted out corrently to provide for all - they are dangerous life threatening machines. I guess the lead in the tap water coming out of the faucets isn't a problem.
Concerned Parent

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Apr 28, 2008
 
I honestly don't know who is spreading lies. I do remember last years survey that went out and it was very similar with this years including the copy aide, a duplo machine etc. Vote for what you want. Just because it is on the survey, doesn't mean that is what people are going to vote on. Last year the board recommended what they wanted to and not everything on the survey got voted on. Let's see what happens this year. If I went by the survey last year, I would have said the same thing. Instead they bought $23,000 worth of benches the kids don't get to use. I guess it is what people think "is for the kids"
Educated Woodlake Parent wrote:
Last years PTSA was transparent with everything that they did. Lots of trees were wasted with the flyers that were sent out repeatedly asking for the parents opinions on what money should be spent on. Not to mention all the articles in the newsletter that told you how much money was raised at each event. Last year the PTSA spent the money on the students of Woodlake. This year the PTSA wants to spend money on teachers aides, copy machines, toilet buckets and other things that don't benefit the students of the school. There were no secrets last year, I can't say the same thing about this year -- only people spreading lies. The truth is out there, but you have to ask enough people and you have to not believe what the first person tells you. Last years PTSA did not return this year because the teachers at Woodlake wanted to spend the money their way and they now have a PTSA board that is willing to give them what they want -- and not what the students need. You may believe what you want, but the truth is only a few questions away -- ask the questions. <quoted text>
LAUSD Employee

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Apr 28, 2008
 
As an employee in the school district, I am so upset that the district has known about this and is now letting the media blame it on the actual working people in the schools. If flushing didn't make a difference anyway, then why are they putting such an emphasis on this? So they can take the heat off the actual people that could have and should have changed this years ago. Look at what it is doing to the parents above, all the obvious bickering back and forth. It is ultimately the top level at LAUSD who is responsible for this and they should lose their jobs.
LAUSD Employee 2

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Apr 29, 2008
 
LAUSD management is incompetent. I work with high level personnel and they are the most arrogant people in the world. They think they have the solution to every problem and any problem is caused by other people. Sad....very sad.
Woodlake Parent

Woodland Hills, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Apr 30, 2008
 
Concerned Parent wrote:
I also saw on the survey Physical Education, Art Program, Choral music, field Trips, Computer lab program and murals. This is all for the kids,is it not? Vote for what you want. It is very similar to the same survey they sent out last year. Not everything got voted on, it is just the survey. Last years survey also included a copy aide,a duplo machine etc. That is the great thing about this democracy, we can vote for what we want!! By the way, what is wrong with having murals to beautify the school? Last year they spent $23,000 on benches that the kids don't even get to use. They could have brought in a good computer program for the computer lab for the kids. I did hear that there were classrooms that did have coolers and it put the principal at risk. If you were to take full responsibility if anything happened and possibly lose your house, your job and your livelyhood, then sign up. I don't blame our principal for not wanting to do that.<quoted

text>
Just to clarify it was $12,500.00 on benches and tables. Here's a question for you.....why was it so important to the principal to have the tables and benches under the new pergola if he wasn't going to allow the children to use them?
Woodlake Parent 2

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Apr 30, 2008
 
Mr. McGee, Woodlake' principal is the one who wanted benches under the pergola. Steve Thoma was supposed to get them donated and didn't accomplish that. The survey was the 1st of its kind at Woodlake from the PTA board. It was to find out what the parents were most interested in. It was up to the administration, staff and parents to fill it out so that they would voice their opinion. People complain that they don't know, well, it's up to you to get involved if you want to know.
This board hides, lies and is not transparent even though they say they are. They are not FOR ALL THE KIDS.
Did you know that it was not the district that said the water coolers couldn't come in? It was the principal. The teachers didn't want to deal with it. Come on now!! Would they rather deal with our kids having lead poison? Apparently!!!
Did you know that the lunch under the trees had a date that the board changed and didn't inform the parents about so some people paid for their kids to have In and Out food and didn't show up on the right date. Did you know that they changed the time for this event and didn't inform anyone except those that called the school office that morning? Of course they blamed it on someone trying to cancel the event, cancel it because of federal guidelines and yet the rumors were spread for some other idiot reason, far from the truth.
Parents, the truth is right in front of you...look for it...oh, and by the way, some of the things on the survey are requests from the school and have always been looked at and sometimes given as a gesture to help the school. The $30,000 for 10 weeks of computer seems like a lot of money. I'm sure there is a way to get the kids to learn power point, excel and the other programs without this large sum being spent. Did you know that not all the teachers use the computer lab? Did you know that most of 5th grade doesn't use the computer lab? Probably not because you haven't asked the right person/people.
Concerned Parent wrote:
I also saw on the survey Physical Education, Art Program, Choral music, field Trips, Computer lab program and murals. This is all for the kids,is it not? Vote for what you want. It is very similar to the same survey they sent out last year. Not everything got voted on, it is just the survey. Last years survey also included a copy aide,a duplo machine etc. That is the great thing about this democracy, we can vote for what we want!! By the way, what is wrong with having murals to beautify the school? Last year they spent $23,000 on benches that the kids don't even get to use. They could have brought in a good computer program for the computer lab for the kids. I did hear that there were classrooms that did have coolers and it put the principal at risk. If you were to take full responsibility if anything happened and possibly lose your house, your job and your livelyhood, then sign up. I don't blame our principal for not wanting to do that.<quoted text>
Woodlake PTSA Mom

Montebello, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Apr 30, 2008
 
I think our PTSA is great.
I am thankful for them and what they are trying to do. It is not an easy job. Maybe if some of these people actually talk to them instead of trying to spread lies, they would see they are very open and want what is best for all the kids.
Woodlake Parent 3

Anaheim, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
May 4, 2008
 
Good for you that you think the PTA is great. All PTA boards work hard. There are no lies being spread. You can choose to wear blinders, that's your choice. Open your eyes, you will see.
How long did they hide the fact that they stopped payment on the clean drinking water and not tell you?
Why were funds put into the "miscellaneous" category and not explained?
Why didn't they tell you that they called Arrowhead water over and over again for weeks calling anyone that would answer the phone dirty names until Arrowhead wouldn't deliver the clean drinking water to the school, was going to sue them and wouldn't uphold their contract?
Are you happy the Woodlake kids got to drink lead because of this board?
Oh, and wait until they tell you again that they are above making more money than any previous board? Maybe someone should ask how much the previous boards made to know that. I don't think you will get an honest answer because just last month they said they were ahead of the previous board and they are not. They are thousands...like $50,000 or more behind the previous board.
Woodlake PTSA Mom wrote:
I think our PTSA is great.
I am thankful for them and what they are trying to do. It is not an easy job. Maybe if some of these people actually talk to them instead of trying to spread lies, they would see they are very open and want what is best for all the kids.
Woodlake PTSA mom

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
May 5, 2008
 
You sound like one of the sore losers that a lot of people talk about.(and I don't mean the new board)
Woodlake Parent 3 wrote:
Good for you that you think the PTA is great. All PTA boards work hard. There are no lies being spread. You can choose to wear blinders, that's your choice. Open your eyes, you will see.
How long did they hide the fact that they stopped payment on the clean drinking water and not tell you?
Why were funds put into the "miscellaneous" category and not explained?
Why didn't they tell you that they called Arrowhead water over and over again for weeks calling anyone that would answer the phone dirty names until Arrowhead wouldn't deliver the clean drinking water to the school, was going to sue them and wouldn't uphold their contract?
Are you happy the Woodlake kids got to drink lead because of this board?
Oh, and wait until they tell you again that they are above making more money than any previous board? Maybe someone should ask how much the previous boards made to know that. I don't think you will get an honest answer because just last month they said they were ahead of the previous board and they are not. They are thousands...like $50,000 or more behind the previous board. <quoted text>
Woodlake Parent

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
May 5, 2008
 
They explained the funds when I asked them. They showed me the documents from State PTA when I asked them why we weren't getting the water. I am not wearing blinders, I have asked these questions and they have provided documentation when I have asked. What I did see was the minutes when we (the association) voted on coolers in the classrooms and then it was changed without asking us to something different. It was the principal (I asked him) and the district who actually stopped the water. And at the association meetings they have never claimed they have made more money than the previous board) As a matter of fact they said they have the $10,000 left from last year because of the water. I do not know where you are getting "your facts", but you seem to be the one spreading lies, not our current PTSA. Also, when last years president tried to get In&Out cancelled, it was the current president that would not say who it was, I got the info from the office staff. If you are so unhappy, please attend the meetings and you can see what goes on. They have district and state people there to make sure they are doing things correctly. Go and vote or you don't have a right to complain.
Woodlake Parent 3 wrote:
Good for you that you think the PTA is great. All PTA boards work hard. There are no lies being spread. You can choose to wear blinders, that's your choice. Open your eyes, you will see.
How long did they hide the fact that they stopped payment on the clean drinking water and not tell you?
Why were funds put into the "miscellaneous" category and not explained?
Why didn't they tell you that they called Arrowhead water over and over again for weeks calling anyone that would answer the phone dirty names until Arrowhead wouldn't deliver the clean drinking water to the school, was going to sue them and wouldn't uphold their contract?
Are you happy the Woodlake kids got to drink lead because of this board?
Oh, and wait until they tell you again that they are above making more money than any previous board? Maybe someone should ask how much the previous boards made to know that. I don't think you will get an honest answer because just last month they said they were ahead of the previous board and they are not. They are thousands...like $50,000 or more behind the previous board. <quoted text>

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 20 of30
< prev page
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••
•••
•••

Woodlake Jobs

•••
•••
•••

Woodlake People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]
•••