Kenmore Gun Range is damaging the health of residents children.

Posted in the Woodinville Forum

Comments
1 - 20 of 21 Comments Last updated May 8, 2014
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Bothell MD

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 4, 2013

Judged:

If you live in the 1 mile perimeter of the Kenmore Gun Range and have noticed slipping grades and notices from teachers about attention issues, make sure to have a hearing test done right away. I have monitored the hearing problems of the children in the area and it seems to be more than coincidence that there is a growing problem.
The gun range has expanded as has development of the area, increasing the noise levels. I have personally documented the decibal levels and have found them to be at levels far above the dangerous range for children.
I have reported my findings to Snohomish County Code enforcement, Sherrifs Dept and District attorney, all have dismissed findings and say there is nothing they can do. Please monitor your child's hearing. Another issue is the dangerous lead exposure, my findings are forthcoming.
Neighbor LMK

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 9, 2013

The Kenmore Shooting Range has been in this location, and licensed for it's operations, for decades. They have no control over how close development continues to move. As living in the flight path of the airport, or near a military base, those moving close to this business, have no reasonable right to complain. The decibel levels living close to any of the major highways or interstate are higher on a more constant basis. Are we going to complain to the WA DOT about this?

With what device, and where, are you measuring these decibel levels? I would expect a legitimate article to include the measurements and standards utilized. A comparison with the decibel levels found in neighborhoods next to Bothell Way, or I405, would get my attention. These things would make your argument more credible.

Have you checked to see if the Kenmore Shooting Range is violating it's zoning or licensing?

Perhaps your agenda is not really about the noise level.

Irritated with hearsay,
LMK
Bothell MD wrote:
If you live in the 1 mile perimeter of the Kenmore Gun Range and have noticed slipping grades and notices from teachers about attention issues, make sure to have a hearing test done right away. I have monitored the hearing problems of the children in the area and it seems to be more than coincidence that there is a growing problem.
The gun range has expanded as has development of the area, increasing the noise levels. I have personally documented the decibal levels and have found them to be at levels far above the dangerous range for children.
I have reported my findings to Snohomish County Code enforcement, Sherrifs Dept and District attorney, all have dismissed findings and say there is nothing they can do. Please monitor your child's hearing. Another issue is the dangerous lead exposure, my findings are forthcoming.
Bothell MD

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
May 10, 2013

The health of the children in the area is what the issue is, not how long the gun range has been there. The county and State bear responsibility and have a duty to protect its citizens.
Edward

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Whose children are you talking about? The gun range has been there since the 40's. If there's a problem with children's hearing, what makes you think that the gun range is to blame? Everyday noise is getting louder, but you can't blame the gun range specifically. Today's children are not standing around outside listening to gunshots, but rather are inside the house listening to music, which could be what's making them deaf. Especially when more children are using headphones or earbuds to listen to music at an increased decibel level. You say you are a Bothell MD, however I don't think the children are your main concern but rather you just don't like a gun range nearby and the associated noise that the gun range generates. I hate to say it but it has to be said, if you don't like the noise, then move.
Jeff

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 20, 2013

Dangerous sound levels a MILE away? Get real... Don't like it?
MOVE!
Bothell MD

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 23, 2013

The health of the children in the danger zone is the most important issue here. I would strongly encourage relocation for families affected by the inherent risks to the health of these families.
Delano

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 28, 2013

Why is the good Doctor only concerned with the health of children?!?

How about equal opportunity for teens, adults, and seniors...

I strongly urge relocation of Bothell MD...
Bothell MD

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2013

Delano wrote:
Why is the good Doctor only concerned with the health of children?!?
How about equal opportunity for teens, adults, and seniors...
I strongly urge relocation of Bothell MD...
Children are at the greatest risk to hearing damage and the many health concerns of environment lead exposure, that being said, anyone concerned has the right to speak out and inquire about the inherent risks.

I don't believe the gun range is to blame, it's not the range who built residential neighborhoods in the danger zone. It's the responsibility of the counties and the city of Bothell that have put families in danger by not monitoring the lead exposure airborne and the pollution into the local watershed that endangers humans and wildlife alike. It's also the responsibility of homeowners to think about and explore the health risks to their families, young and old.
Delano

Bellevue, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Bothell MD,
Right, you won't go so far to directly place fault with the gun range, but your real end game is to have the City/County intervene and shut it down, correct?
There are millions of gun owners in the USA who routinely shoot at outdoor ranges and don't seem to have problems with lead poisoning. Your concerns about toxic clouds of airborne pollution endangering Bothell children are a bit overstated, in my opinion.
A kid walking down a Bothell sidewalk on a Saturday afternoon with lawn mowers buzzing will have greater health exposure to fumes & pollution.
Bothell MD

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 12, 2013

Delano wrote:
Bothell MD,
Right, you won't go so far to directly place fault with the gun range, but your real end game is to have the City/County intervene and shut it down, correct?
There are millions of gun owners in the USA who routinely shoot at outdoor ranges and don't seem to have problems with lead poisoning. Your concerns about toxic clouds of airborne pollution endangering Bothell children are a bit overstated, in my opinion.
A kid walking down a Bothell sidewalk on a Saturday afternoon with lawn mowers buzzing will have greater health exposure to fumes & pollution.
The intent is for parents to monitor the health of their children. Younger children are susceptible to hearing damage at the levels generated at the range which is located yards from residential neighborhoods, daycares and is less than .25 miles from Frank Love Elementary School. These people are exposed every day of their life, except Christmas Day. The shotgun and rifle range generates decibel levels documented to cause hearing damage. I think the original post on this thread explains my intent.
Government will not shut down a gun range, it would be political suicide, but they could be liable in a civil suit.
That is not my intent either.
I would encourage anyone in the neighborhood to monitor the health of their children, and to advise anyone to investigate and do their research if living in or looking at property in said area.
The city and county are putting people in harms way by continuing the development in the danger zone, but No one is forced to live next door to an outdoor gun range that operates 360+ days a years, 10+ hours per day.
Tim

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 29, 2013

Bothell MD, does your moniker mean to infer that you're a practicing MD?
I only ask because your writing style seems more in line with a high school student, and not a stellar one at that.
Hahahaha

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 9, 2013

Hahahahahahaha!

I would think this was a joke, but if it is this person is following through very thoroughly. If you really do feel this strongly about protecting the safety of children, then I hope you advocate equally strongly for the closure of all public pools and beaches, for all children to wear noise-cancelling headphones in the car/outside in any urban/suburban area, for the city to ban all private swimming pools, and to disallow the sale of devices marketed toward children which are capable of producing harmful sound levels (hey, that's actually not a bad idea...).

I'll still disagree with you, except maybe on that last one, but it would be nice to at least know that you're being intellectually consistent.

(btw, to back up the swimming pool comments):
http://www.cdc.gov/injury/wisqars/pdf/10LCID_...
lol

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

dumb post
Neighbor Gar

Edmonds, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 6, 2014

I live 1.1 miles from the Kenmore gun range and can barely hear it. There is no way that the sound levels are at dangerous levels a mile from the range.
But if you are concerned about injury from noise (which is a problem in modern society) anyone who lives near a freeway or busy street is also at risk. Other products such as IPODs also pose a huge risk to kid's hearing. Why pick on the gun range? I think this is a back door way of attacking the range rather than a real concern about children.
Bothell MD wrote:
DoodsMcWilson

Lynnwood, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 18, 2014

Hey guys,

I have no problem with the noise. You really can't hear it when inside. I was checking out a few homes around the area and was wondering if there were any incidents - stray bullets etc. as a result from living in proximity? I have small children and was wondering if there were any concerns about moving in the area?

Thanks
TSims

Clayton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

The range is not a problem. Bothell MD is just some kind of troll. Don't pay him any attention.
Tom March

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

Doods Mcwilson,
I live near the gun range and I've never heard if an accident like a stray bullet, and the noise level changes, it is worse than a few years ago, but I'm not sure it's dangerous, depending how close you are. The range is open late Tues and Thursdays, my advice is for you to take a walk in the neighborhood your interested in and judge for yourself, but do this so that later you won't regret moving near the range like some. Remember you won't always be indoors and you may want to sell someday, just do your research. I live inQueensboro neighborhood, and thinks it's ok. Good luck.
Bothell MD

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 28, 2014

T.Sims from Ohio,
I assure you I am not trolling this thread, I started this thread to help people living near the gun range, it would help if you read before you judge.
Bothell Guy

Redmond, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

I live about a 1,1 mile from the rifle range and about 1.2 miles from the shotgun range. Most of the noise complaints above are associated with the shotgun range night trap/sporting clays operations.
The range has almost always been a responsible neighbor. I remember several years ago, when a number of politicians in Snohomish and King County tried to close the range down and put a sewage treatment plant (Brightwater) at the sight. During public hearings it was learned that local police and SWAT teams use the facility for training and sighting in of weapons. Ultimately the Maltby area was chosen for the plant.
The Kenmore pistol and rifle ranges have a complex baffle system that is designed to keep stray bullets from leaving the range. The range masters are also very observant to insure that shots are kept on a target. If they feel you can not keep your shots on the target they will either ask you to leave or provide you with training.
Now as to the noise issue, I happen to have a noise meter that I ocassionaly will break out. Last summer the pile driving noise on Carter Road for the bridge repair that started Saturday mornings at 9AM caused me to break it out and take some measurements. Noise from trucks (especially going up & down 228th), low flying float planes landing at the Kenmore Air Harbor are a bigger source of "noise" to me than the gun range.and I have lived where I do for a couple of decades.
Tom March

Bothell, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 10, 2014

Bothell Guy wrote:
I live about a 1,1 mile from the rifle range and about 1.2 miles from the shotgun range. Most of the noise complaints above are associated with the shotgun range night trap/sporting clays operations.
The range has almost always been a responsible neighbor. I remember several years ago, when a number of politicians in Snohomish and King County tried to close the range down and put a sewage treatment plant (Brightwater) at the sight. During public hearings it was learned that local police and SWAT teams use the facility for training and sighting in of weapons. Ultimately the Maltby area was chosen for the plant.
The Kenmore pistol and rifle ranges have a complex baffle system that is designed to keep stray bullets from leaving the range. The range masters are also very observant to insure that shots are kept on a target. If they feel you can not keep your shots on the target they will either ask you to leave or provide you with training.
Now as to the noise issue, I happen to have a noise meter that I ocassionaly will break out. Last summer the pile driving noise on Carter Road for the bridge repair that started Saturday mornings at 9AM caused me to break it out and take some measurements. Noise from trucks (especially going up & down 228th), low flying float planes landing at the Kenmore Air Harbor are a bigger source of "noise" to me than the gun range.and I have lived where I do for a couple of decades.
I remember those hearings too and asked my neighbor who is a Bothell cop and a shooting partner if mine and he told me that they don't use that range to sight in their police weapons, but they're personal weapons, a tactic to keep Brightwater out. But I agree there are a lot of noise hazards in the area, and the gun range noise has increased due to more construction and the clearing of trees, not from the gun range itself growing. I think they would be better neighbors if they gave us one.day a week off. One day isn't asking too much.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

•••
•••

Woodinville News Video

•••
•••

Woodinville Jobs

•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••

Woodinville People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE