Former mayor is arrested for drunken driving

Former Mayor Suzanne Hall was arrested Thursday evening for drunken driving. On the advice of legal counsel, the Police Department is not releasing the report on the incident, an official said. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
15-year Sgate Resident

Flushing, MI

#1 Sep 14, 2006
I feel very sorry for the Hall family. They have done so much for the City of Southgate and they have been betrayed. They have given so much of themselves and so much of their time without being reciprocated except for things of this nature. It doesn't surprise me that they're not releasing the police report. Everything that I read in the paper tells me that this was a set up. "Someone on their cell phone called." That's all you ever hear from this City and Police Department is that it was "anonymous." That's a bunch of crap. They have caller ID and they can tell whose phone this call was placed from. I think people are entitled to know their enemies. Instead, we claim that without these people being able to remain anonymous, they would not get involved. People have a right to meet the people who called on them, even if it is not known to the general public. I firmly believe that this was a set up, that it was intended to defame not only Sue Hall but also her husband, and I believe it was done so as to stop her from ever attempting to be mayor again. In the last 15 years, she's been the only one that's done anything constructive as mayor. Everyone else is intimidated, and so they try all of their propaganda to make it look as if Sue Hall is some kind of threat or bad person. I can only apologize to Sue Hall and her family and continue to pray for them.
Dave

Clinton Township, MI

#2 Sep 26, 2006
15-year Sgate Resident wrote:
I feel very sorry for the Hall family. They have done so much for the City of Southgate and they have been betrayed. They have given so much of themselves and so much of their time without being reciprocated except for things of this nature. It doesn't surprise me that they're not releasing the police report. Everything that I read in the paper tells me that this was a set up. "Someone on their cell phone called." That's all you ever hear from this City and Police Department is that it was "anonymous." That's a bunch of crap. They have caller ID and they can tell whose phone this call was placed from. I think people are entitled to know their enemies. Instead, we claim that without these people being able to remain anonymous, they would not get involved. People have a right to meet the people who called on them, even if it is not known to the general public. I firmly believe that this was a set up, that it was intended to defame not only Sue Hall but also her husband, and I believe it was done so as to stop her from ever attempting to be mayor again. In the last 15 years, she's been the only one that's done anything constructive as mayor. Everyone else is intimidated, and so they try all of their propaganda to make it look as if Sue Hall is some kind of threat or bad person. I can only apologize to Sue Hall and her family and continue to pray for them.
So the .19 she blew doesn't count? The only difference is this time a police department did not give her a coutesy ride home like a couple years ago. I wonder if they checked her blood for anything else?
former sgate resident

Trenton, MI

#3 Sep 26, 2006
if sue halls blood count was twice the amount in michigan,
i feel that she should have been pulled over. what if
she had hit another car and killed someone, she is not better than anyone else and should be treated just like any other person, even if she was the former mayor and her husband was the former chief of police.
jim

Clinton Township, MI

#4 Sep 27, 2006
A lot of people are watching this case. Many know a first time offender and want to see if Sue gets off easier because of her connections.
Dana

AOL

#5 Oct 2, 2006
Sue Hall is a God fearing, wonderful person who has dedicated her life to helping others. During her time on the City Council and Mayor, she did many good things for Southgate, and for little people like me who have nobody else to turn to. People that are so quick to judge and condemn Sue should remember that in America a person is presumed innocent until proven guilty. SUE HALL HAS NOT BEEN PROVEN GUILTY OF ANYTHING AND IT'S WRONT TO CONVICT A PERSON BASED UPON WHAT IS WRITTEN IN SOME NEWSPAPER. Look at what just happened to former Macomb County Prosecutor Carl Marlinga. A jury acquitted him last week. I agree that Sue Hall should be treated the SAME as any other person, but NOT more harshly because of who she is or who she is married to. IF Sue made a mistake, I know she'll accept full responsibility for it because she is a decent and honest human being. And IF Sue made a mistake, I will forgive her as I know many other Christians will, because that is what the Good Lord expects us to do. Given all the violence and hatred in the world today, we need more Love and Understanding, not more lynch mobs. GOD BLESS SUE HALL, SHE IS IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS.
Angela and Doug

AOL

#6 Oct 2, 2006
Stop all this Sue Hall bashing. How many newspaper articles are going to be written about this poor woman? O.K., she might have made a mistake, but that doesn't make her a bad person. We've known Sue for over 25 years and know that she is a good human being who has spent her whole life helping others. Everyone knows that most of the attacks against Sue are really aimed at her husband Larry who recently retired from the Southgate police department. How cowardly does it get? Sue Hall is just a human being and we all make mistakes from time to time. Quit judging her in the newspaper and leave the job for the courts. Isn't that what makes the United States different from places like Iraq and Iran? Remember, INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. We're with you 100% Sue!
Lyle

AOL

#7 Oct 2, 2006
This whole Sue Hall thing stinks to high heaven. It was pay back because the cops didn't like how tough Larry Hall was when he was chief. When Hall was chief he held the cops accountable for their bad conduct, like the two cops who beat up on women and were convicted of assault and battery. He wasn't afraid to speak up for what was right. Now that he's gone the cops are out of control and people Downriver know it. Just ask around. Lots of people are afraid of the Southgate Police because they do whatever they want. And the judge runs a kangaroo court that is a rubber stamp for the cops. This scares me. Just remember, today they set up Sue Hall, tomorrow it's you or me.
jim

Clinton Township, MI

#8 Oct 6, 2006
Let me see now. How did they set up Sue? How many had to hold her while someone else poured enough liquor down her throat to get the blood-alcohol count up to .19? This had nothing to do with Larry, Sue is very capable of screwing up all by herself.

And to the "15-year Sgate Resident" above that complained about the "anonymous" call, I noticed you didn't give your name out.
Ruth

AOL

#9 Oct 8, 2006
I feel sorry for "Jim" from Southgate, MI, because it is obvious that he is filled with bitterness. Take some good advice from someone who is probably old enough to be your great grandmother - drop all of this hateful dialogue about Sue Hall and instead do as God teaches us to do - EXTEND THE HAND OF FRIENDSHIP AND FORGIVENESS. I've known Sue many years and she is a good person who really cares about others. If you call her, she calls you back right away. If you need something, she does her best to help you. And if you just want someone to talk to, she's always willing to do that too. Can the same be said of you "Jim"? Remember that it is far more important to be judged favorably by the Lord than it is to be judged by ohers.
Victor

AOL

#10 Oct 10, 2006
I live near Sue Hall, and while I don't really know her, I thought she was a very good mayor. When I read that she had been arrested for drunk driving, I was stunned. A few weeks ago I saw her walking her dog and asked her what the heck had happened. She accepted full responsibility for her actions, and didn't make any excuses or try to blame anyone else. I could see that she was upset by the tears in her eyes, yet she answered every question I put to her in an honest and straight forward way. At the end of our conversation she asked me if I thought that people would be willing to forgive her. I told her that I was, and that many others would feel the same way. And if she ever decides to run for office again, she'll have my support, because I know that she is a God fearing Christian.
Susan

Taylor, MI

#11 Oct 10, 2006
Victor--
If she would have hit one of your family members--would you have felt the same way? Sue should have known better. She could have had someone pick her up or drive her home instead of getting behind the wheel.
I had a family member killed by a drunk driver.
There is no excuse for someone to get behind the wheel when they are intoxicated.
The police did her and the driver's on the road a favor by pulling her over.
Victor wrote:
I live near Sue Hall, and while I don't really know her, I thought she was a very good mayor. When I read that she had been arrested for drunk driving, I was stunned. A few weeks ago I saw her walking her dog and asked her what the heck had happened. She accepted full responsibility for her actions, and didn't make any excuses or try to blame anyone else. I could see that she was upset by the tears in her eyes, yet she answered every question I put to her in an honest and straight forward way. At the end of our conversation she asked me if I thought that people would be willing to forgive her. I told her that I was, and that many others would feel the same way. And if she ever decides to run for office again, she'll have my support, because I know that she is a God fearing Christian.
Victor

AOL

#12 Oct 10, 2006
Susan,

I haven't heard anyone making any excuses, least of all Sue Hall. And since she didn't hurt anyone, let me respond to you this way. At my church we are taught that the Lord wants us to "forgive" others. If the Amish can find it in their hearts to forgive that maniac who killed all those poor children, I can certainly find it in my heart to forgive Sue Hall. I hope you can do the same thing, because no good ever comes from harboring feelings of hatred.
Sue made a mistake. That doesn't change the fact that she is a good person.
Barbara

AOL

#13 Oct 10, 2006
I am very suspicious of anyone who is too quick to judge. Isn't it better to wait until all the facts come in? And isn't our country founded upon the principle that people (including Sue Hall) are "innocent until proven guilty"? Thank God that we have the right to be tried in a court of law rather than in the newspaper or in blogs like this. If Sue Hall made a mistake, then let her pay for it and move on. There are more important things to worry about, like North Korea having an atomic bomb and the number of our soldiers being killed and injured in Iraq. God Bless America.
Shirley

AOL

#14 Oct 12, 2006
You're absolutely right, there is no excuse for drunk driving, and I haven't heard Sue Hall making any excuses. Sue Hall is one of the most caring and decent human beings I have ever met. My mother lives in the senior high rise that Sue got the grant money to build a few years back. And I'm back on my feet today because Sue was willing to help me out when nobody else seemed to care. I'm sorry if someone in your family was killed, but Sue didn't hurt anyone. If she made a mistake then it only proves that she's human. I'm sure she feels just awful about what happened. A person should be judged by EVERYTHING they've done in their life, not by one mistake in judgment.
Jim

Clinton Township, MI

#15 Oct 28, 2006
Well Sue had her day in court. She admitted in court that she had drank six beers in the time preceding her arrest. She has not hurt anybody yet. We can thank God not Sue's "righteous" background. I hope no person would ever get hurt by any drinking person. This should just about close this discussion but I'm sure we shall meet here again in the future.
Shirley

AOL

#16 Oct 29, 2006
Jim wrote:
Well Sue had her day in court. She admitted in court that she had drank six beers in the time preceding her arrest. She has not hurt anybody yet. We can thank God not Sue's "righteous" background. I hope no person would ever get hurt by any drinking person. This should just about close this discussion but I'm sure we shall meet here again in the future.
All I really feel sorry for you Jim because you obviously hate Sue Hall. Sue did the right thing by admitting she made a mistake. She apologized and now it's time for her to go on with her life. What more can you ask of a person. We all make mistakes, even you Jim. Please remember that God asks us to forgive others, not to judge them. I forgive Sue Hall and you should too Jim.
Alex

AOL

#17 Oct 29, 2006
When Sue was mayor I had some disagreements with her, but I always respected the fact that she stood up for what she believed and was always honest with people. She knows that what she did was foolish, and she accepted full responsibility for her actions. Let me tell you something else, she's genuinely sorry for what she did. I know, because I was in court the other day when she plead guilty. Everyone in court that day respected the dignified way she conducted herself. She didn't make any excuses, she didn't ask for any special treatment, and she walked out of court with her head held high. Before her arrest I felt that she was one of the smartest people I'd ever met, and certainly one of our best mayors. I STILL FEEL THAT WAY, and I hope that she runs again some day. Everyone makes mistakes. Not everyone is honest enough to admit them.
Ron

AOL

#18 Oct 29, 2006
Every week there's a front page story (with a color picture) about Sue Hall's drunk driving arrest, and I for one am sick of it. For God's sake how can the newspaper justify this while putting stories about Downriver soldiers killed in Iraq on page 3. Robberies, car thefts, and burglaries rarel rate better than page 5. Where are our priorities? Enough is enough. She made a big mistake and admitted it. We forgave the Tigers and Mim Leyland for losing the World Series and look how many mistakes they made. That's because we know that inside they're a good team that will use this as a learning experience for the future. I think the same of Sue Hall.
Francis

AOL

#19 Oct 29, 2006
Jim wrote:
I just came from church and I said a prayer for Sue Hall. My family loves her because of all she's done for people in need. When my father died several years ago, Sue was one of the first people to console me. When I couldn't afford a new roof on my house, then mayor Sue Hall got a grant to pay for it. Since she left office, I have called her 6 or 7 times about problems, and each time she's helped me. The world needs more people like Sue. A lot of people feel like I do.
Meghan

AOL

#20 Oct 29, 2006
Jim wrote:
All I can say to you Jim is lighten up on Sue Hall because she is one fine lady. Okay she made a mistake and admitted it. And now she's paying for it. I know aa lot of people who have been guilty of drinking and driving, but didn't get caught. And this includes quite a few cops who hang out in local bars. I know, because I work in one of them. I've heard them make jokes about Sue Hall and others and then watched in disgust as they drove home wasted. When I said something to my boss, he told me to keep my mouth shut, because he didn't want any trouble with the law. At least Sue Hall isn't a hypocrite.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Titans trounce Truman, pull off clean sweep Pho... 14 hr Kevin 1
Sexual Misconduct is ok in Wyandotte police dep... (Aug '11) Oct 8 Downriver Lifer 24
Court Docket: Officer's corruption trial put on... Oct 4 Onlooker 7
Live in the D: Homeless woman fights to get son... Oct 4 Archie 3
Funnel cloud spotted near Taylor after storm br... Oct 3 mommy 3
Mullin knew severance letter faked, Wayne Count... (Apr '13) Sep 28 R Jeremy 11
Autistic program finds new home at Burger Baylo... Sep '14 A_M_B 1
Woodhaven Dating
Find my Match

Woodhaven Jobs

Woodhaven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Woodhaven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Woodhaven