Another Detroit-area community falls into financial trouble over pension obligations

Dec 6, 2012 Full story: MLive.com 14

Rising pension costs have caused a surprise $8 million projected deficit in the Downriver city of Taylor, the mayor's office announced today.

Full Story
perplexed

Detroit, MI

#1 Dec 6, 2012
Again.let us use elyria Ohio as an example. What r salaries and pensio there compared to taylor tucky? How does county spend taxes compared to Wayne.let us do a broad comparison.folks the glory days r over. We hear now that police and fire only get retirement now for lower seniority. Priebe years ago had said this pension program was outrageous.how about over $8 million received from our broke federal govt. To rehire unneeded firefighters? I am picking on Noone just being realistic. Belt tightening should have happened long before lamarand.how does state of Ohio operate to make sure schools r funded fairly without ridiculous pensions etc? Does it take rocket science to do small comparison s.? Wayne county government is also included in. Wasteful spending and other cities.time to stop kicking the cans down the road.
perplexed

Detroit, MI

#2 Dec 6, 2012
How about reducing some of these pensions significantly.also reassess amount of city employees needed including police and fire.use auxiallary when needed..u also have state police post.do a logistics analysis to reduce amount of money for pensions overtimes and salaries of workers so budget can be met with sensibility mayor and staff.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#4 Dec 7, 2012
perplexed wrote:
How about reducing some of these pensions significantly.also reassess amount of city employees needed including police and fire.use auxiallary when needed..u also have state police post.do a logistics analysis to reduce amount of money for pensions overtimes and salaries of workers so budget can be met with sensibility mayor and staff.
Yes, the sky is blue and water is still wet.
Every municipality in the country is taking a closer look at efficiencies and ways to limit long term liability. Employers are moving from defined benefits plans to cash balance plans to 401k's. Taylor sees the problem and will manage it. That $8 million deficit is a projection over five years. It is not insurmountable.

In Detroit, the problem of legacy debt is compounded by the fact that the theft of hundreds of millions has occurred in the pension fund. The insufficient money that was there isn't!
perplexed

Detroit, MI

#6 Dec 7, 2012
Years ago their pension system was so over bloated in Taylor tucky they increased property taxes around $100. This is unethical and unfair for everyone to be required to fund this greedy pension system along with overstaffing. The mayor tried to cut and. They tried failed recall.what gives here? Then when overstaffed fire dept was cut they went crying to feds and judge. Threatened to put lamarand in jail.city council never looked at ups and downs of $8 million hand out from feds.they just put their greedy hands out and said YEA GIVE IT TO US!! when mayor said they couldn't afford coupling of over $1 million from taxes they cried foul and went to judge. U know there is only 1 station now.ridiculous!!! And selfish!!
The
Pete

Livonia, MI

#7 Dec 7, 2012
perplexed wrote:
Years ago their pension system was so over bloated in Taylor tucky they increased property taxes around $100. This is unethical and unfair for everyone to be required to fund this greedy pension system along with overstaffing. The mayor tried to cut and. They tried failed recall.what gives here? Then when overstaffed fire dept was cut they went crying to feds and judge. Threatened to put lamarand in jail.city council never looked at ups and downs of $8 million hand out from feds.they just put their greedy hands out and said YEA GIVE IT TO US!! when mayor said they couldn't afford coupling of over $1 million from taxes they cried foul and went to judge. U know there is only 1 station now.ridiculous!!! And selfish!!
The
The mayor does not run the city as a dictator. Council is involved in decision making. They voted to accept the money. The mayor refused to honor the voter approved system of government there. He also lied to the judge in court and deserves to serve time for that. In the end he accepted the $8.1 million grant and the city will find the needed funds out of something. Despite your personal views about the finances, the law is the law and even a mayor is required to comply.
kev

Detroit, MI

#8 Dec 7, 2012
I disagree whole heartedly.judge should not have got involved. They have more at stake than losing jobs.public confidence.absolutely this mayor was in the right in my book.he stood up for what is feasible.judge and joke city council didn't.over and out.
Pete

Livonia, MI

#9 Dec 7, 2012
kev wrote:
I disagree whole heartedly.judge should not have got involved. They have more at stake than losing jobs.public confidence.absolutely this mayor was in the right in my book.he stood up for what is feasible.judge and joke city council didn't.over and out.
Again, you don't run the world.
We have three phases to our system=legislative, executive and judicial. It is fully a judges mission to decide when a law has been violated. You want to be the judge? Go for it.
kev

Detroit, MI

#10 Dec 7, 2012
Judges r always correct? Please!
Pete

Sparta, MI

#11 Dec 7, 2012
RTW benefits the workers, taxpayers and the state alike...

unions are job killers and soak off everything else.

Just ask the unemployed.
kev

Detroit, MI

#12 Dec 7, 2012
Unions r good if they r run properly and workers r productive. there is good and bad involved in many angles.police fire teachers maintenance etc have unions.it is what u make of it.auto companies 30 years ago were making big profits with union workers. If someone does improper things they should be punished union or not. This right to work fiasco overall doesn't work in every state. I have worked oin places where union was voted out by majority rule.all of this in Lansing is basically grandstanding. They should be making legislation for things that r critically important. This is lowest priority.
kev

Detroit, MI

#13 Dec 9, 2012
There was marine who posted comments about Taylor and it unrealistic lopsided unfair ridiculous funding in fall of 2011. Interesting realistic comments .
Mo Better

Buffalo, NY

#14 Dec 10, 2012
kev wrote:
There was marine who posted comments about Taylor and it unrealistic lopsided unfair ridiculous funding in fall of 2011. Interesting realistic comments .
If you can't actually say something, why bother? What marine? What story? Why was it interesting? You certainly are not.
kev

Detroit, MI

#15 Dec 10, 2012
Read in the forums what marine said.fall of 2011.I'm not posting in these forums fer popularitycontest.
Amy Adamo

Los Angeles, CA

#17 Dec 10, 2012
kev wrote:
Unions r good if they r run properly and workers r productive. there is good and bad involved in many angles.police fire teachers maintenance etc have unions.it is what u make of it.auto companies 30 years ago were making big profits with union workers. If someone does improper things they should be punished union or not. This right to work fiasco overall doesn't work in every state. I have worked oin places where union was voted out by majority rule.all of this in Lansing is basically grandstanding. They should be making legislation for things that r critically important. This is lowest priority.
Unions are incentives to remain lazy & stupid.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Double Hung Replacement Windows Can Increase Re... 16 hr Gerald Vonberger 1
Few residents want to discuss Gibraltar's role ... (Oct '07) 22 hr daniel szabo 9
Semi Driver Arrested For Drunk Driving Dec 15 kev 1
'Bored' Postal Worker Accused Of Stealing Cash ... Dec 11 Kevin 3
Review: Al's Asphalt Paving (Mar '14) Dec 2 buck 2
roosevelt high.southgate Nov 29 kev 1
Rouse Properties Executes Three H&M Leases at K... Nov 25 kev 1
Woodhaven Dating
Find my Match
More from around the web

Woodhaven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Woodhaven News, Events & Info

Click for news, events and info in Woodhaven

Personal Finance

Mortgages [ See current mortgage rates ]

NFL Latest News

Updated 10:02 am PST

Yahoo! Sports10:02AM
Browns' Thomas broke environment rules?
Bleacher Report10:15 AM
All-Pro LT Thomas Accused of Serious Environmental Violations
NBC Sports10:31 AM
Coach: 'Very confident' Newton starts vs. Browns - NBC Sports
ESPN 1:03 PM
Browns' Mingo fined $16,537 for hit on Dalton
NFL 1:47 PM
'Sound FX' spies Manziel's meeting with Marvin Lewis