Chrysler to build $570 million engine plant in Mexico

Jun 2, 2007 Full story: St. Louis Post-Dispatch 124

Chrysler Group said Friday that it will build a $570 million engine plant in Mexico to assemble the "Phoenix" V-6 engine. via St. Louis Post-Dispatch

Full Story

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Since: Dec 06

Allen Park, Michigan

#21 Sep 5, 2007
plant hopper wrote:
<quoted text>honda toyota nissan volkswagon and the list goes on all have plants in mexico the bottom line is if you work live in s.e michigan you better hope ford chysler gm make it the whole area depends on them!
Toyota is building a new R&D facility near Jackson, MI. Toyota is also considering a new engine plant here.

“kein Mitleid fur die Mehrheit”

Allen Park, Michigan

#22 Sep 5, 2007
Toyota is building a r&d complex in Jackson MI (or near Jackson) right now.

They are looking into building an engine plant here in MI as well.

They also recently built an engine casting plant in TN.

The fact remains, while all manufacturers do have plants outside the U.S., more plants are being built in the U.S. by foreign automakers than domestic ones. More domestic plants are closing for foreign shores.

I am not praising any company, only stating the reality. My Honda is made from parts from all over the world, just happens that most of them are from the U.S. My Honda was built by Americans in Ohio.

Lets look at family sedans:
Honda Accord - Marysville, OH
Honda Civic - East Liberty, OH
Toyota Camry - Georgetown, KY
Toyota Corolla - Fremont, CA
Ford Fusion - Hermosillo, Sonora, Mexico
Ford 500 - Chicago, IL
Chevy Impala - Oshawa, Ontario
Chevy Malibu - Kansas City, MO
Chrysler 300 - Brampton, Ontario
Chrysler Sebring - Sterling Heights, MI

The funny thing is, many of those American brands used to be built in the US. The foreign brands, well, they built plants HERE to build them.

From TheFabricator.com
Made in America?

The Chrysler 300C®, Dodge Magnum®, and Dodge Charger® all share the same platform, and because of demand, DaimlerChrysler added a third shift at the assembly plant where the 300C is built. The 300C is a great example of the enduring success of the American sedan. Along with its popular HEMI® engine and rear-wheel-drive layout, the 300C is evidence that Detroit can design an original sedan that strikes a chord with buyers.

There's just one problem: This all-star is not quite as American as you may think. First off, it's built at DaimlerChrysler's Bramalea assembly facility in Ontario, Canada. Its famous HEMI engine is shipped from Mexico. The transmission is built in Kokomo, Ind., but is largely based on a Mercedes design from Germany. The same is true of the suspension and handling components, many of which are based on German designs. Approximately 20 percent of the car's design is German in origin. Add to that the Canadian assembly and Mexican engine and you have a real citizen of the world.

Other examples abound. Take, for instance, the Ford Fusion® I recently purchased. The vehicle is based on the CD1 platform, which was designed largely by Ford of Europe and by Mazda in Hiroshima, Japan. The Mazda6®, built in Flat Rock, Mich., shares the platform, as does the European Ford Mondeo®. The car and engine are built in Mexico, but the engine was engineered in the U.S. and is largely based on a Mazda design. The transmission is a Mazda design built in Japan and shipped to Mexico. Put this all together, ship it to a Polish guy living in Michigan, and you have another global jumble.
Ron-KTP

Covington, KY

#23 Sep 5, 2007
When you buy those Hondas and Toyotas does your money stay in Ohio? Hell no all their profits go back to Japan. At least when i buy a Ford,G.M or a Chrysler it is from a true AMERICAN company. And yes Chrysler is AMERICAN again!!!!! And they support more american jobs than toyota or honda ever thought of!!!!! If you do not care if the next guy has a job or not buy a Honda or Toyota. Think your job is safe? Think again!!!!!!

Location hidden

#24 Sep 5, 2007
dukdodgers wrote:
Now thats loyalty, isn't it Michigan? This is why I won't buy an American car! All the wages stay in Mexico and only the top profit comes back to the US, and not to any worker. My Honda was built in Marysville, OH. Americans getting paid good wages. Which is the foreign car, look at the sticker before you answer!
It's nice to live in never never land...maybe I'll visit when I need a break from reality... The drivetrain in your beloved Honda is all Japanese... The cars are assembled from Japanese components.

Location hidden

#25 Sep 5, 2007
Ron-KTP wrote:
Oh you bet those Japanese companies show respect!!! Just ask asome of their workers how much respect they get!! Get hurt and kiss your job good bye!! And quit blaming the UAW everything they have was NEGOTIATED that means the companies said they could live with that. One problem is the pay for these executives they make more than a pro athlete and still cannot run a company. Run a company to the ground and get millions in bonuses hah hah and it is the UAW i think not!!!!!
Ask dukdogers about the pipefitters working in one of the japanese owned assembly plants that are constantly unclogging the plumbing from the employees that are flushing down their soiled underwear because they are afraid to leave their post for a bathroom break...Give me UAW local 600 ANYDAY, thank you VERY much!!

Location hidden

#26 Sep 5, 2007
Ron-KTP wrote:
When you buy those Hondas and Toyotas does your money stay in Ohio? Hell no all their profits go back to Japan. At least when i buy a Ford,G.M or a Chrysler it is from a true AMERICAN company. And yes Chrysler is AMERICAN again!!!!! And they support more american jobs than toyota or honda ever thought of!!!!! If you do not care if the next guy has a job or not buy a Honda or Toyota. Think your job is safe? Think again!!!!!!
Here in the motor city, you'll see bumper stickers that say "I work for Ford, I drive a Ford" To me, that show pride in what your doing. 3 Ford built vehicles have SURPASSED mighty Toyota in build quality...
stamping 95

AOL

#27 Sep 5, 2007
a new 570 million engine plant is great for the uaw and its employees, and all the jobs it will create but what did the uaw give up to get this plant and work? for chrysler to do this they got something in return.i bet we find out what it is in this contract.
plant hopper

AOL

#28 Sep 5, 2007
the media loves the japanese cars and hate the big 3 cant you see that!
anytime you read a review they praise the japan brand no matter what and bury recall stories on the back bage for the japanese and when its a big 3 product its front page news no matter how minor the recall is.
toyota just had to recall over 800,000 for engine problems and the more they produce with market share growth the more problems they will have also.
big bill

Westlake, OH

#29 Sep 6, 2007
who cares, really. i buy what i buy because the price is right or i like the product. if i need a job i dont care if i work for honda or ford, just as long as i get a paycheck. yes i own a honda, toyota, and hyundai, but i have no loylty to those companys, the product was what i needed at the time at the right price, in fact the hyundai was just totaled, and will be replaced with a ford, why not because i buy american or that crap but because the price was better than the rest of what i looked at. in a nutshell, i dont care where its from, dont care who built it, dont care if its union or non union, I ONLY CARE ABOUT WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME!
big dumb as-

AOL

#30 Sep 6, 2007
big bill your a dumbass!
do live in il or pa youe full of shit scrub!
what works for you sounds like it would be the short school bus!

Since: Aug 07

Warren, MI

#31 Sep 6, 2007
big bill wrote:
who cares, really. i buy what i buy because the price is right or i like the product. if i need a job i dont care if i work for honda or ford, just as long as i get a paycheck. yes i own a honda, toyota, and hyundai, but i have no loylty to those companys, the product was what i needed at the time at the right price, in fact the hyundai was just totaled, and will be replaced with a ford, why not because i buy american or that crap but because the price was better than the rest of what i looked at. in a nutshell, i dont care where its from, dont care who built it, dont care if its union or non union, I ONLY CARE ABOUT WHAT WORKS BEST FOR ME!
This is just a way of not holding any responsibility. Buy American Bill. Your children need you too.

Well I'm off to work ... at Chrysler Sterling Stamping HERE in MICHIGAN. Not in Mexico.

Location hidden

#32 Sep 6, 2007
LunchLady wrote:
<quoted text>
This is just a way of not holding any responsibility. Buy American Bill. Your children need you too.
Well I'm off to work ... at Chrysler Sterling Stamping HERE in MICHIGAN. Not in Mexico.
Yeay to my UAW Union sister!! My brother worked at SHAP until he screwed himself up in a motorcycle accident...The dummy could have gotten his job back if he would have put a little effort into it.

Bumper sticker on a Ford in the Rouge plant... "Lost your job yet? Keep buying foreign..."
guess who

Saint Paul, MN

#33 Sep 7, 2007
wanna know how to secure your job, build the best product you can. Yes they could get it cheaper labor somewhere else, so you ahve to offer something better. Ingenuity, creativeness. I know it can be frustrating, but so would be sitting in the unemployment line. When they ask for 2 ideas, give them 3. When they want a 10% quality improvement try to give them 12%. You can argue they will just keep taking and taking, but if you give them all the quality and product they ask for, it is a tough sell to go to mexico or china with it.

Since: Sep 07

fort myers

#34 Sep 7, 2007
hey big dumb as- looks like you were schooled in mich, cause your an idiot!
stamping 95

AOL

#35 Sep 7, 2007
well new castle had the best quality and the best attendance record in chrysler and it didnt stop them from selling the plant so when they tell you to run good parts and show up everyday and your plant will be safe dont believe it.if they can get it built a dollar cheaper your job is gone.
big dumb as-

AOL

#36 Sep 7, 2007
big bill wrote:
hey big dumb as- looks like you were schooled in mich, cause your an idiot!
wow is that your comeback?its about as laim as your blogs you stupid f--k!
go hump a sheep isnt that what you do down there where you live?

Since: Sep 07

fort myers

#37 Sep 7, 2007
hey big dumd as- i got your sheep hangin! you stupid michigan hillbilly!
haten the belv

Hartland, MI

#38 Sep 7, 2007
big dumb as- wrote:
<quoted text>wow is that your comeback?its about as laim as your blogs you stupid f--k!
go hump a sheep isnt that what you do down there where you live?
its all corn fields out there most of the people out there drive that foreign shit. and i don't know were he comes off about schooling they aint to bright out there. i work with them everyday can't wait to get out of there
big dumb as-

AOL

#39 Sep 7, 2007
big bill wrote:
hey big dumd as- i got your sheep hangin! you stupid michigan hillbilly!
wow another original! your sharp with your comebacks.
did your aquire all your knowledge and language skills in the special ed schools down where you live you dumb hick!
big dumb as-

AOL

#40 Sep 7, 2007
haten the belv wrote:
<quoted text>its all corn fields out there most of the people out there drive that foreign shit. and i don't know were he comes off about schooling they aint to bright out there. i work with them everyday can't wait to get out of there
big bill is a jerkoff if you look at his original post a week back he listed PA as where he lived now its IL he probley one of those jealous scab temps that you guys have to work with down there at belvidere!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodhaven Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Sexual Misconduct is ok in Wyandotte police dep... (Aug '11) Oct 8 Downriver Lifer 24
Court Docket: Officer's corruption trial put on... Oct 4 Onlooker 7
Live in the D: Homeless woman fights to get son... Oct 4 Archie 3
Funnel cloud spotted near Taylor after storm br... Oct 3 mommy 3
Mullin knew severance letter faked, Wayne Count... (Apr '13) Sep 28 R Jeremy 11
Autistic program finds new home at Burger Baylo... Sep 23 A_M_B 1
Boblo boat pulls out of Detroit for last time Sep '14 Eldorado 2
Woodhaven Dating
Find my Match

Woodhaven Jobs

Woodhaven People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

Woodhaven News, Events & Info