Babylon's quiet refuge: Southards Pond Park

Full story: Newsday 21
It's where the mayor is among the many who trout-fish; where a professional photographer who travels the continent to capture wildlife photographs now takes his camera when he is at home; where equestrians from ... Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Gary

Holtsville, NY

#1 Jul 7, 2008
I also was born and raised there rode horses and bikes on the trails for over 45 years.Please preserve it and let's keep it our best kept secrets to our village residents
LIer

Babylon, NY

#2 Jul 13, 2008
Isent this park actually in West Islip?
Kevin

Brooklyn, NY

#3 Mar 2, 2010
No; the park is in Babylon.
Jane says

New York, NY

#4 Mar 4, 2010
i recall back in the 70's there was a very brief proposal to put in picnic tables, etc closer to Park Avenue--thank God that didn't happen and Southards remains unspoiled. i just wish the lake still froze so I could take my grandchildren skating there. i remember it used to be frozen from Thanksgiving to almost Easter. my grades went up and down according to how good the ice was ;) I also remember how the state troopers would periodically come by and tell us to put out the huge bonfires we had while skating--which would did until they left. very happy memories there. kids today either have an anemic indoor rink of skating in circles or probably have to use Wii--no wonder kids are getting fatter!
sump

White Plains, NY

#5 Mar 5, 2010
the whole place is polluted with mercury.
scott

Edison, NJ

#6 Mar 16, 2010
Its one of my favorite places to go on long island, thankgod not everyone is familiar with it, i find my peace in that little piece of woods,along with some good fishing and wildlife observation
Elle

Lindenhurst, NY

#8 Jun 16, 2010
You make yourself sound unintelligent when you spout out words without thinking beforehand. The people who might be haphazardly doing these things you claim may be from your very own neighborhood.
babylon man

West Babylon, NY

#9 Apr 6, 2011
parts of it is nothing more than a dog run i wish dogs and thier dirty owners were band from using a potential great place to spend some quality time..
yep

West Islip, NY

#10 Apr 14, 2011
Jane says wrote:
i recall back in the 70's there was a very brief proposal to put in picnic tables, etc closer to Park Avenue--thank God that didn't happen and Southards remains unspoiled. i just wish the lake still froze so I could take my grandchildren skating there. i remember it used to be frozen from Thanksgiving to almost Easter. my grades went up and down according to how good the ice was ;) I also remember how the state troopers would periodically come by and tell us to put out the huge bonfires we had while skating--which would did until they left. very happy memories there. kids today either have an anemic indoor rink of skating in circles or probably have to use Wii--no wonder kids are getting fatter!
You are right on we used to have bon fires at the town hall and skate all night! My kids try and skate on the town hall pond and they get kicked off every yr! Why? They let the kids who ride their bikes all over town causing havoc. However the kids cant play ice hockey! Please!
yep

West Islip, NY

#11 Apr 14, 2011
Keep it this way wrote:
Please keep it like this have you seen Argyle in the summer they trashed it! It used to be a quiet place now I its filled of illegals who throw their trash everywhere sunthemselves with their fat hanging all over music blasting. They take the train in and have ruined another one of our areas! Im so out of this town. These people have trashed and keep trashing our towns! Why do they want to come to America and turn it into the same place they left. VULTURES
Omg yes where the hell are they coming from! It used to be a park where you would just walk around and bring the kids to the park! Now it's blankets and radios i was really shocked!
Cletus Yokel

Potomac, MD

#12 Apr 15, 2011
i remember from back in the 60's & 70's that it was also a homo pickup place too, like Belmont Lake. I guess it's a good place no matter what you're fishing for
NY 2 OBX

Franklin, VA

#13 Apr 29, 2011
I grew up in Babylon and have many happy memories from Southard's Pond skating and whose trails take you up to Belmont Lake. Yes, the 60's and 70's were a different time and place, but my son spent many days riding the paths (but with his parents in the 90's) Still like to visit when I go "home"
TRC

Chester, NY

#14 Apr 29, 2011
Where to park?
yep

West Islip, NY

#15 Apr 30, 2011
TRC wrote:
Where to park?
There isn't any parking for this park. It's unspoiled there are just trails that lead in! Best hidden secret! Stays unspoiled, no loud music, blankets,or disrepectful illegals throwing their garbage all over! Just people walking the trails or fishing. Most throw back and don't eat the fish. I wouldn't walk through alone due to how isolated it is. There are two trails one for bikes and one for horses. Nice I take my dogs through.
yep

West Islip, NY

#16 Apr 30, 2011
Cletus Yokel wrote:
i remember from back in the 60's & 70's that it was also a homo pickup place too, like Belmont Lake. I guess it's a good place no matter what you're fishing for
I was late 70's I never heard of that one??
Keith

Central Valley, NY

#17 Sep 23, 2011
I live in Babylon and I was horrified when the town killed most of the ducks and geese at argyle due to feces complaints, cut down the island for nesting birds, and filled the pond with sand killing most of the fish.

A place for wildlife to live was turned into a place for people to jog instead, I'm so mad!!!

I have not yet been to Southards but I love nature and photography and so I'm excited to hear there is a natural place left for wildlife, we need to protect it, and Belmont at all costs!

Is there any bullfrogs at Southards?
jimmie ray

Old Westbury, NY

#18 Sep 26, 2011
I take my dog swimming at Southards almost every day. There are still bullfrogs and turtles living there - as well as low life people, sorry to report.
Csurdi

Avondale, AZ

#19 Dec 11, 2011
jimmie ray wrote:
I take my dog swimming at Southards almost every day. There are still bullfrogs and turtles living there - as well as low life people, sorry to report.
Lowlife people? I cant imagine. The only people who went to Southards lived nearby... has taht area gone downhill? It was always so lovely.
Mr Wendall

Wantagh, NY

#20 Apr 24, 2012
An great Eagle Scout project has recently added mile markers to the trail. It's a 6 mile loop that takes you up and around Belmont Lake and back down to Park Avenue. I'm sure many runners will like it!
Mr Wendall

Wantagh, NY

#21 Apr 24, 2012
I forgot to add a website www.southardspondtrail.com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) 32 min Bruser 7,911
Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 1 hr Bruser 2,313
HUGE Story and this Board is quiet - why? (Apr '11) 18 hr Jane 4
Cops raid W. Islip bar, arrest owners, bartenders (Jan '08) 19 hr tim21 239
Review: Demi's Coffee S 22 hr Foodie 1
"Raunchy Joker But Harmless?" Sun Jeff Kelly 1
Rafaelito DeJesus, 23, of Valley Stream, and Me... (Jun '13) Sep '14 Aida 19

Woodbury News Video

Woodbury Dating
Find my Match