Venice luster returning to Babylon

Venice luster returning to Babylon

There are 29 comments on the Newsday story from Feb 7, 2007, titled Venice luster returning to Babylon. In it, Newsday reports that:

Babylon town officials are planning to restore the American Venice Marina in Copiague back to its original park-like setting and designate it as a historic community.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#1 Feb 7, 2007
This is throwing good money after bad. Copiague is just getting worse and worse due to the influx of illegals, do something about that first!
Ray

Ashburn, VA

#2 Feb 7, 2007
An effort completely wasted on the hoi polloi of Copiague.
Steve Wadowski

Middle Island, NY

#3 Feb 7, 2007
The citizens of Copiague are lucky the CFD is on the job!!! Restore the venice.

Day

Since: Dec 06

Babylon

#4 Feb 8, 2007
I dont want to get mugged on a Gondola
Tom

Bridgeport, CT

#5 Feb 8, 2007
This would be a great restoration for the town. It's our history and it is up to us, the residents to preserve the monuments that were built in the 1920's. The venice is a quiet community with great people, that has no "muggings," so you'll be safe on your gondola.
Mell

Florham Park, NJ

#6 Mar 1, 2007
Joey wrote:
This is throwing good money after bad. Copiague is just getting worse and worse due to the influx of illegals, do something about that first!
- clueless
Mell - American Venice

Florham Park, NJ

#7 Mar 1, 2007
I am not hoi polloi - you are clueless - we are restoring history.
Mell

Florham Park, NJ

#8 Mar 1, 2007
I dont want to get mugged on a Gondola - then don't come visiting. Stay in your own borish town.
dan74ny

Bridgeport, CT

#9 Mar 3, 2007
Moved to the Venice about three years ago and I love this area. I am so happy that they are restoring the Venice. BTW...never had any problems with copiague, in fact, I prefer it to the pretentious BS I see in some other LI towns.
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#10 Mar 4, 2007
dan74ny wrote:
Moved to the Venice about three years ago and I love this area. I am so happy that they are restoring the Venice. BTW...never had any problems with copiague, in fact, I prefer it to the pretentious BS I see in some other LI towns.
Take the "blinders" off.
Ben

Middle Island, NY

#11 Mar 4, 2007
dan74ny wrote:
Dan do you realize the Venice is in Copiague. Not that there anything wrong with that. You talk about in third party. If you live on the East side, still Copiague schools and Fire District.
Michelle

White Plains, NY

#12 Mar 5, 2007
I just bought a house in the Venice and I love the neighborhood, it's quiet and the people are very friendly... and that comment is being made sans blinders. Whether it's Copaigue or Lindenhurst doesn't really matter, what is important is that they're making an effort to restore a piece of history and beautify the community. Hopefully people will be able to take their blinders of and learn to appreciate that! I find it difficult to believe people would prefer to drive down Montauk Highway and see another unsightly Marina. I have also lived in the surrounding area for 27 years and have yet to be mugged or even witness one. I'm sure these things do happen, as they do in all communities. If you take issue with this then maybe you should do something about it and try to make a difference yourself or shut it and move someplace where you feel "safer."
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#13 Mar 5, 2007
Michelle wrote:
I just bought a house in the Venice and I love the neighborhood, it's quiet and the people are very friendly... and that comment is being made sans blinders. Whether it's Copaigue or Lindenhurst doesn't really matter, what is important is that they're making an effort to restore a piece of history and beautify the community. Hopefully people will be able to take their blinders of and learn to appreciate that! I find it difficult to believe people would prefer to drive down Montauk Highway and see another unsightly Marina. I have also lived in the surrounding area for 27 years and have yet to be mugged or even witness one. I'm sure these things do happen, as they do in all communities. If you take issue with this then maybe you should do something about it and try to make a difference yourself or shut it and move someplace where you feel "safer."

I would "love" to make a difference myself...but the polititions keep letting the "illegals" in. This community was on the "upswing" 20 yrs. ago, young couples buying and fixing up homes, but the influx of "illegals" in the past 10 yrs. or so is wiping out the "good" middle class that was once here. You remember them? The single-family, tax paying homeowners? Open your eyes and look at the "trash" in "our" once nice neighborhood!!!
Ben

Middle Island, NY

#14 Mar 5, 2007
Michelle wrote:
I just bought a house in the Venice and I love the neighborhood, it's quiet and the people are very friendly...
Michelle, good luck with your new house. I lived in the area for years as well. I hope you were told of the flooding problem in the Venice..??
Joey

Brooklyn, NY

#15 Mar 5, 2007
Ben wrote:
<quoted text>
Michelle, good luck with your new house. I lived in the area for years as well. I hope you were told of the flooding problem in the Venice..??
Flooding is the "least" of the problems down here!
Michelle

White Plains, NY

#16 Mar 6, 2007
Joey wrote:
<quoted text>
Flooding is the "least" of the problems down here!
Wow... it looks like you need to move...
Michelle

White Plains, NY

#17 Mar 6, 2007
Ben wrote:
<quoted text>
Thanks! We actually asked the neighboors about their flooding and spoke to the previous owners insurance company about any claims that had been made and luckily other than a very soggy yard it looks like we'll be ok!
Mike

Brooklyn, NY

#18 Mar 18, 2007
Seems like very few people actually know about the venice. It has a lindenhurst mailing address but is copaigue school district. One of the safest communities on long island if you want to do some research. I've lived here for 21 years and haven't had any problems with anyone. The argument that it is in Copaigue and not Lindenhurst is fair but Copaigue harbor is also in copaigue and copaigue school district... you think there's alot of people getting mugged there? If you can afford to buy a house here you can afford to send your kids to private school if you think copaigue is to rough. And as far as the flooding goes it really depends on where in the venice you live. I have never been flooded or had water come anywhere near my house. So yes I defintly think they should fix up the area a bit, the end of both the East and West Venice need to be fixed before the mini beach is completly gone.
Sal

Southold, NY

#19 Mar 19, 2007
I lived on LIDO Prom. back in the 70's it was great. Glad to hear its being restored. Copiague was a great place to grow up. (south of the LIRR at least)
Copiague proud

Florham Park, NJ

#20 Jun 5, 2007
You are clueless and a joke. It can only help out the neighborhood...
Joey wrote:

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
cesspool company scams (Sep '07) 15 hr monday20 67
News Swift Named Principal at Our Lady of Lourdes (Aug '09) 20 hr Bruser 2,479
News Cutting of pastor's role called 'vindictive' (Oct '08) Sun Bruser 8,020
News Ten years later, brothers to testify in mother'... (Mar '07) Aug 28 eric 43
News Craft beer 'incubator' planned for Copiague site Aug 28 Terry 1
News Sunrise Highway service road work to affect tra... Aug 28 Road Hog 1
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Carle Place (Nov '13) Aug 28 Christie M 18
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodbury Mortgages