Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautio...

Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautious driver

There are 119 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 21, 2008, titled Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautious driver. In it, Newsday reports that:

Between hugs and condolences from friends, Jerry Assa recalled how he cautioned his son, Brian, about the dangers of speeding when behind the wheel of a car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Bonnie

Bronx, NY

#111 Jan 21, 2008
Lenny wrote:
I cannot comprehend the meanness in these comments. I know this family and they did everything they could to instill a sense of responsibility in their son. But teenagers do stupid things. We all did when we were that age. Kids think they're invincible. That doesn't make them bad or "idiots", it makes them kids who did a stupid thing. These kids were out without their parents' permission. If you have kids you know that we cannot control our kids all the time, even though we want to.
I guess the parents don't know what their kids are doing then - real great parents!!!! They didn't do a very good job on instilling a sense of responsibility.
mlmom02

AOL

#112 Jan 21, 2008
As a mother, my heart aches for the parents of this boy. Blaming them serves no purpose.
What bothers me is the pervasive attitude that permeates so many comments- "Kids will be kids and almost everyone has behaved, at some point in his younger days, with total disregard for safety." I have two sons in their twenties. They were never entitled to live their lives with total disregard for those around them. And they understood that. If speed was important, they could join the track team. For the most part, we as adults set standards. If we are complacent and have the attitude that- everyone does it so therefore we must accept it- we will end up with a generation of young adults who make bad decisions. Parenting is not an easy job. And while I see no point in blaming these parents- I think we all have to take a long look at what we expect form our children and what we accept from them. Yes, young adults have choices -but once a choice has been made- you cannot always choose the consequences. This concept needs to be taught.
John

Glen Cove, NY

#113 Jan 21, 2008
I saw where the accident took place and i know part of the story. my cousin was with these three guys. they were going somewhere and my cousin told them to drop them by his car. he asked for someone else to go with him. the kid went with him and watched the other two guys pull away. they took off and proceeded to crash.
wow

Garfield, NJ

#114 Jan 21, 2008
cjd wrote:
the title of this article: "Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautious driver" is BS. how cautious could you be speeding at 2am?
$1000 this kid was drunk...
apparently you dont know how to read the article... it clearly said no alcohol was involved.
wow

Garfield, NJ

#115 Jan 21, 2008
you people are disgusting with this comments... i don't even know what to say anymore... as long as it doesn't happen to your kid then there idiots.. so i am assuming all of you people were angels and never did ANYTHING WRONG? haha alrightttt
POB Resident and Parent

Oyster Bay, NY

#116 Jan 21, 2008
I am so sorry to hear about this tragedy. Yes the kids should not have been out that late. But this is every parents worst nightmare.And any -parent that thinks their kid is not capable of doing something stupid and reckless like this either has a very young child or is incredibly naive. Don't judge
Fred

Deer Park, NY

#117 Jan 21, 2008
kate wrote:
where is you COMPASSION!!!!! how cold and heartless are you ignorant people. evidently you dont have children if you are making such harsh comments. these poor people are currently experiencing the absolute worst thing that can happen in a human beings life. grow a heart for gods sake. and your own!!
also, if youre going to post, have the self respect to learn how to SPELL!
I have sympathy for any parent who loses a child. I'm a parent, too. However...these idiots not only ruined their own lives, they endangered the lives of countless other people who may have been in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm sure you'd feel differently if during the course of their joy-ride they managed to take out someone you care about.
Fred

Deer Park, NY

#118 Jan 21, 2008
wow wrote:
you people are disgusting with this comments... i don't even know what to say anymore... as long as it doesn't happen to your kid then there idiots.. so i am assuming all of you people were angels and never did ANYTHING WRONG? haha alrightttt
These numbskulls endangered everybody else on the road, too. I'm pretty confident you'd feel entirely different on the matter had they taken out someone you care about during their joyride.
Fred

Deer Park, NY

#119 Jan 21, 2008
Ralph Nader wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me clue you in: people are expressing a sigh of relief that it wasn't their car perhaps carrying friends and family which was the object of this mindless irresponsible immature reckless driver's impact. How are this late idiot's actions any less serious than that animal who sped north on the Meadowbrook Parkway a few years ago and cost the lives of the limo driver and that sweet little girl returning from the wedding party? They are not. People see this kind of dangerous driving all the time on LI roads and it sometimes seems that you caAn't avoid the bad drivers no matter how carefully and properly you yourself drive. So that's what's going on. Get it now? One less maniac on the road. The public's reaction? GOOD.
Amen, Ralph...The only difference in the minds of the apologists is the end result. Had these 2 taken out a wedding party or some other innocents, then they'd be deserving of the same treatment as Heidgen (sp?). Since these two were the only ones hurt,the apologists think we can't compare them with the likes of the killers out there. There should be no slap on the wrist for those who drive wrecklessly or drink while driving. What's it going to take for society to understand that if you keep putting the likes of Lohan and others on the road, that sooner or later someone innocent is going to die.
Plainview Teen

New Brunswick, NJ

#120 Jan 21, 2008
Everyone who has been making stupid, heartless comments, I was at the funeral. It isn't a joke. A family lost their 16 year old son.
Everyone makes mistakes

United States

#121 Jan 22, 2008
John"]I saw where the accident took place and i know part of the story. my cousin was with these three guys. they were going somewhere and my cousin told them to drop them by his car. he asked for someone else to go with him. the kid went with him and watched the other two guys pull away. they took off and proceeded to crash
Can you explain a little more here. I don't understand what you are saying?
plainview teen

New York, NY

#122 Jan 22, 2008
frank your comment is disgusting--"Heck, serve the corpse for lunch too"
are you kidding me?
honestly..a 16 year old boy died...and the majority of these comments are rude and disrespectful jokes...saying how brian deserved to die and saying other disturbing things...
yes this teenager made a stupid decision to drive 100 mph...but whats even more disgusting are the comments ADULTS are making on here...have some respect...grow up...
Everyone makes mistakes

United States

#123 Jan 22, 2008
This was a teenage error of judgement which resulted in a horrible tragedy. We all made foolish decisions as teens ourselves. I can't believe some of these comments. They weren't drinking, no drugs - yes they were out late, but weren't we at times on weekends? I know today is not yesterday when life was different, but teens are still teens. That will never change, and you cannot lock your kids up as prisoners or dictate to them all the time.

Thank goodness there weren't any other cars in the vicinity, which would have made this even worse for everyone.

Brian was the sweetest, kindest, respectful, honest, loving, caring, generous boy I have ever met and shouldn't be maligned in anyway, nor should his parents have to read comments that are so hurtful. Don't you think they have enough grief right now and will be in pain for the rest of their lives? Not only for the loss of their son, but also for the owner of the car who is in the hospital and his family? Their lives have been forever changed because of this and they lost the most precious thing they had, their only son.

From the outpouring of people who attended his service, you would have known how loved and revered he was by everyone.

Think twice before you say anything that is not constructive.
Mark

Mahopac, NY

#124 Jan 22, 2008
Nope not drunk. No evidence of that so far. Not that it matters since he is now resting in peace in a grave. The funeral was Sunday.
cjd wrote:
the title of this article: "Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautious driver" is BS. how cautious could you be speeding at 2am?
wow

Garfield, NJ

#125 Jan 23, 2008
plainview teen wrote:
frank your comment is disgusting--"Heck, serve the corpse for lunch too"
are you kidding me?
honestly..a 16 year old boy died...and the majority of these comments are rude and disrespectful jokes...saying how brian deserved to die and saying other disturbing things...
yes this teenager made a stupid decision to drive 100 mph...but whats even more disgusting are the comments ADULTS are making on here...have some respect...grow up...
nicely said.
Andrea

Long Beach, CA

#126 Jan 24, 2008
You idiots! Who over the age of 12 has never sneaked out of the house and/or disobeyed their parent's rules?
friend of jerry

Hempstead, NY

#127 Mar 4, 2008
I am so sorry for the loss of your son,
I hope you, your wife, and daughter can stay strong,
through this painful time.I hope your son is in a better place then here on earth.
Jerry-Brians Dad

AOL

#128 Mar 4, 2008
cjd wrote:
I will take that bet. If you bother to read everything in the police press release it states
"NO DRUGS OR ALCHOL WERE INVOLVED. IT WAS A GROSS MISJUDGEMENT BY A 16 YEAR OLD" You can mail me the check.
Alex

Westbury, NY

#129 Apr 10, 2008
I cannot even fathom how horrible you can be. Brain Assa was the kid that loved everyone, and that everyone loved.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Judge Andrew Crecca (Dec '10) 10 hr freedom 48
News Police: Man Arrested for Reckless Endangerment ... (Feb '11) 23 hr You are a Douchebag 6
News 4 Levittown brothers accused in $70-million coi... (Nov '08) Sun John 428
News Watertown and Massena JCPenney stores not part ... Mar 23 agree 2
Review: I Love Kickboxing - Dix Hills Mar 22 spappas93 1
News Menu for hiring at Nassau jail? (Jul '07) Mar 21 Dennis Woody Powers 30
News Man led cops on two county chase at 110 mph (Apr '07) Mar 18 Cabbage 201

Woodbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodbury Mortgages