Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautio...

Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautious driver

There are 119 comments on the Newsday story from Jan 21, 2008, titled Dad: Plainview teen killed was cautious driver. In it, Newsday reports that:

Between hugs and condolences from friends, Jerry Assa recalled how he cautioned his son, Brian, about the dangers of speeding when behind the wheel of a car.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Since: Jan 07

Hagerstown, MD

#2 Jan 21, 2008
The kid was cautious alright why he was speeding in the first place,
good another idiot is off the road.
If you want to play you got to pay
well it cost his life so what maybe the other kid will get picture, a vehicle is not a toy.
BOOMER

Woodsboro, MD

#4 Jan 21, 2008
Hay Moms & Dads stop buying your kids cars & Motorcycle. make these dumb kids pay for their own vehicles and insurance, dumb kids like this one
is why ins. premeoums up, now the responsible drivers like us has to pay for this dumb kids.
Bonnie

Bronx, NY

#9 Jan 21, 2008
What was this kid doing out driving at 2 in the morning when he isn't even supposed to be behind the wheel of the car - what were his parents thinking or doing. If he wasn't driving this wouldn't have happened. The parents are partially to blame. He was a cautious drive my ass. He would still be here and his friend wouldn't be in the hospital if that was the case!!!
Fire Starter

Bronx, NY

#10 Jan 21, 2008
:)
gmr

Oceanside, NY

#11 Jan 21, 2008
What the hell is a high school kid doing out at 2am?
Plainview resident

Oyster Bay, NY

#12 Jan 21, 2008
To the family and friends of Brian Assa,

I don't know you personally, but maybe we've passed each other at the library or Shop Rite. My heart goes out to you at this time of this tragic loss.
kate

Madison, NJ

#13 Jan 21, 2008
where is you COMPASSION!!!!! how cold and heartless are you ignorant people. evidently you dont have children if you are making such harsh comments. these poor people are currently experiencing the absolute worst thing that can happen in a human beings life. grow a heart for gods sake. and your own!!
also, if youre going to post, have the self respect to learn how to SPELL!
Plainview mom

AOL

#14 Jan 21, 2008
To all of you who are so quick to criticize the two boys and condemn their parents...yes, these boys obviously exercized poor judgment...but let's not forget that one has died and the other is still in the hospital...a little respect please...
hazmat

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#15 Jan 21, 2008
Another senseless death.

Can we blame this on Bush-Cheney?
Face It

Shoreham, NY

#16 Jan 21, 2008
If an intelligence test were required for parenthood, most people would fail miserably.
Liz

Bronxville, NY

#17 Jan 21, 2008
gmr wrote:
I was wondering the same thing.
the truth

Denver, CO

#19 Jan 21, 2008
gmr wrote:
his parent raised him "cautiously"...

it's a shame what happened, but since when does a 17 year old, supervise a 16 year old while driving, and did either kids parents know about this? i doubt it.
parents need to supervise their children more carefully, and to be out driving at 2am, well unfortunately that pretty much says it all....no supervision.

sympathy to the family on their loss, and hopefully this will teach others an important message - but i doubt it.
Former Student Again

AOL

#20 Jan 21, 2008
kate wrote:
where is you COMPASSION!!!!! how cold and heartless are you ignorant people. evidently you dont have children if you are making such harsh comments. these poor people are currently experiencing the absolute worst thing that can happen in a human beings life. grow a heart for gods sake. and your own!!
It could have been your family's car that was hit instead of some wall .....how would you have responded to that ?
wow

Garfield, NJ

#21 Jan 21, 2008
kate wrote:
they dont care... as long as its not there "dumb" kid doing it they feel the need to write whatever they feell... but i can guarantee if it was there son or daughter or there friend they could hate what other people have to say... they did it to my other friend as Wellllllll....
LIer

Torrington, CT

#22 Jan 21, 2008
hazmat wrote:
Another senseless death.
Can we blame this on Bush-Cheney?
We're working on that, get back to you.
Gay Ramone

Elizabeth, NJ

#24 Jan 21, 2008
Plainview mom wrote:
To all of you who are so quick to criticize the two boys and condemn their parents...yes, these boys obviously exercized poor judgment...but let's not forget that one has died and the other is still in the hospital...a little respect please...
If they killed your child in the accident, whould you still have respect for his parents?

I didn't think so
Gary

Ridgewood, NY

#25 Jan 21, 2008
Aren't kids with learners permits only supposed to drive with parents? While tragic, this kid should never have been allowed behind the wheel with a 17 year old at any time, much less at 2AM.
Lenny

Port Washington, NY

#26 Jan 21, 2008
I cannot comprehend the meanness in these comments. I know this family and they did everything they could to instill a sense of responsibility in their son. But teenagers do stupid things. We all did when we were that age. Kids think they're invincible. That doesn't make them bad or "idiots", it makes them kids who did a stupid thing. These kids were out without their parents' permission. If you have kids you know that we cannot control our kids all the time, even though we want to.
anonymous in holbrook

Bayport, NY

#27 Jan 21, 2008
Why was this child, not kid, because I feel 16 year olds are still children, driving at 1:50am at night. I thought they weren't allowed to drive after it became dark? Where were the parents, sleeping?
anonymous in holbrook

Bayport, NY

#28 Jan 21, 2008
Face It wrote:
If an intelligence test were required for parenthood, most people would fail miserably.
AMEN TO THAT!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbury Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News 41 undocumented immigrants arrested in NY amid ... 10 hr spytheweb 25
News Spooky Long Island (Sep '08) 21 hr Reader 24
News Islip awards contract to refill parts of Robert... Tue one last shot 34
stray cats at tanner park (Jan '08) Feb 20 Miss B 3
News Imagination, motivation helps interns gain edge - (Dec '08) Feb 18 Trustco 25
New York City Correction Officers Vs. Police Of... (Sep '07) Feb 16 Drock 116
News Barry Manilow 2017 tour includes Nassau Coliseu... Feb 15 leihsiachen 1

Woodbury Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodbury Mortgages