Teachers stage 'grade in' at Prince W...

Teachers stage 'grade in' at Prince William supervisors' meeting

There are 13 comments on the Journal Messenger story from Feb 15, 2012, titled Teachers stage 'grade in' at Prince William supervisors' meeting. In it, Journal Messenger reports that:

County teachers made their presence known by wearing their Work to Rule buttons in what the Prince William Educator's Association are calling a "grade-in" demonstration over the current school budget proposal that does not include raises for employees at the Prince William Board of County Supervisors meeting in Woodbridge, Va.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Journal Messenger.

“God Bless America”

Since: Feb 08

Woodbridge, VA

#1 Feb 15, 2012
I actually agree with the teachers on this one. Their contract is for payment of 7 hours a day, 5 days a week during the school year, nothing more nothing less. If the teachers choose to work a "work to rule" schedule, they have every right to do so. Unless they are paid to run extra-curricular activities, they shouldn't have to stay back. We the taxpayers pay them for 7 hour days, 5 days a week during the school year. Let them have the rest of that time to themselves to earn side income to prop up their own finances.
Screwed

Bloomington, IN

#2 Feb 21, 2012
I totally agree. They have enough to do with attempting to get things ready to really teach the kids.

They shouldn't have to be required to be free babysitters too.
Screwed

Bloomington, IN

#3 Feb 21, 2012
A problem is the school board is attempting to get an amendment to the commonwealth's constitution for ability to tax.

What say you?

“God Bless America”

Woodbridge, VA

#4 Feb 22, 2012
Screwed wrote:
A problem is the school board is attempting to get an amendment to the commonwealth's constitution for ability to tax.
What say you?
It won't happen, not with the GOP Controlled VA. Government. Not in this economy. Problem is they relied on too much federal aid, state aid, etc. While I can understand they need to get paid, and I fully agree that they do, their pay is set up based on the school day/year. Basically, they're part-time positions (although they should be full-time). I say by them only working their contract hours, this will give teachers the freedom to pursue secondary work to supplement their incomes. Or, we can significantly increase their pay and call them full time employees at a salaried level (minimum start pay of $50,000 IMHO). But going back to the amendment, won't happen.

“God Bless America”

Woodbridge, VA

#5 Feb 22, 2012
What PWCS should do is focus more on teachers and cut back on "admin" support and other areas that would be considered Discretionary. Take that discretionary spending and give it to the teachers.
ILBuckeye88

Stafford, VA

#6 Mar 10, 2012
Mark JM wrote:
What PWCS should do is focus more on teachers and cut back on "admin" support and other areas that would be considered Discretionary. Take that discretionary spending and give it to the teachers.
So Admin support is discretionary and people who provide it should lose their jobs so teachers can get a raise? So who is going to answer the phones, enroll students and do all the office work that the "discretionary" employees now perform?

These teachers are not in touch with reality and need to get a grip. Government employees have not had a COLA for two years and Congress is seriously considering actions that will reduce their net pay. People in private industry are lucky to keep their jobs let alone get a pay raise. In PW County though teachers want residents', many of whom are Government employees who have not had a pay raise for two years, tax bills to increase and are willing to watch people lose their jobs so they can get a pay raise. Give me a break!

“God Bless America”

Woodbridge, VA

#7 Mar 14, 2012
ILBuckeye88 wrote:
<quoted text>
So Admin support is discretionary and people who provide it should lose their jobs so teachers can get a raise? So who is going to answer the phones, enroll students and do all the office work that the "discretionary" employees now perform?
These teachers are not in touch with reality and need to get a grip. Government employees have not had a COLA for two years and Congress is seriously considering actions that will reduce their net pay. People in private industry are lucky to keep their jobs let alone get a pay raise. In PW County though teachers want residents', many of whom are Government employees who have not had a pay raise for two years, tax bills to increase and are willing to watch people lose their jobs so they can get a pay raise. Give me a break!
Why should teachers, the very ones who educate children (God Help us if you have any) have to forgo COLA increases and pay raises for the next 4-5 years? You don't need that many admin. folks. Some of these schools have entire staffs just for admin. purposes. Ridiculous, make the cuts there. What's the point of becoming a teacher if you're gonna continuously get ram-rodded on pay? As for raising taxes, it won't happen, but the school board can certainly make adjustments in order to help out the very core of their department: The Teachers.
ILBuckeye88

Stafford, VA

#8 Mar 14, 2012
Mark JM wrote:
<quoted text>
Why should teachers, the very ones who educate children (God Help us if you have any) have to forgo COLA increases and pay raises for the next 4-5 years? You don't need that many admin. folks. Some of these schools have entire staffs just for admin. purposes. Ridiculous, make the cuts there. What's the point of becoming a teacher if you're gonna continuously get ram-rodded on pay? As for raising taxes, it won't happen, but the school board can certainly make adjustments in order to help out the very core of their department: The Teachers.
Let me guess you are a teacher. So because I feel that in this economy teachers should be glad to have jobs and should not look for raises at the expense of higher taxes and others' jobs I am not worthy to reproduce? Very insulting. Your logic (beyond your insult) is flawed. It is the same logic of one who believes that the only thing that matters in the AF are the pilots and the only thing that matters in the Army are Infantry Soldiers. Let me guess you think the only thing hospitals need to function are Doctors. All your post did is reiterate your position. It did nothing to explain why teachers should get raises when a large number of residents in PW county are Federal employees who have not gotten a raise for two years, and as I said in my first post, looking at possible reductions in take home pay ater two years without a COLA. You also did not explain why others should lose their jobs to give teachers a pay raise. The government shows unemploymemt is over 8% and only God knows what the real unemployment numbers are (those who have given up or no longer receiving benefits). Estimates are almost 50% of home owners in PW County are upside down on their mortgages. Explain to me again why teachers are so deserving while others are not. The job market for teachers is not that great. There are plenty of out of work teachers that want jobs and even more teachers from other states that make much less than teachers in our county looking for jobs. If the economy supported pay raises for teachers and PWCS said no I would have no problem supporting the teachers. The truth is the economy doesn't support it and teachers need to tighten their belts like the rest of PW county residents.

“God Bless America”

Woodbridge, VA

#9 Mar 15, 2012
ILBuckeye88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Let me guess you are a teacher. So because I feel that in this economy teachers should be glad to have jobs and should not look for raises at the expense of higher taxes and others' jobs I am not worthy to reproduce? Very insulting. Your logic (beyond your insult) is flawed. It is the same logic of one who believes that the only thing that matters in the AF are the pilots and the only thing that matters in the Army are Infantry Soldiers. Let me guess you think the only thing hospitals need to function are Doctors. All your post did is reiterate your position. It did nothing to explain why teachers should get raises when a large number of residents in PW county are Federal employees who have not gotten a raise for two years, and as I said in my first post, looking at possible reductions in take home pay ater two years without a COLA. You also did not explain why others should lose their jobs to give teachers a pay raise. The government shows unemploymemt is over 8% and only God knows what the real unemployment numbers are (those who have given up or no longer receiving benefits). Estimates are almost 50% of home owners in PW County are upside down on their mortgages. Explain to me again why teachers are so deserving while others are not. The job market for teachers is not that great. There are plenty of out of work teachers that want jobs and even more teachers from other states that make much less than teachers in our county looking for jobs. If the economy supported pay raises for teachers and PWCS said no I would have no problem supporting the teachers. The truth is the economy doesn't support it and teachers need to tighten their belts like the rest of PW county residents.
Whoever said anything about raising taxes? No, I am no teacher, my employment is elsewhere. I'm just saying I would be a little ticked too if I was told there would be no raise for 4-5 years. Where's the incentive to stay in that job? You would have a bunch of teachers leaving, and then not enough to educate the children. But you chose to look at it short-sighted like taxes have to go up (when cuts elsewhere can clearly be made). Are you one of those overpaid admin. folks? Me thinks so.
ILBuckeye88

Alexandria, VA

#10 Mar 15, 2012
Mark JM wrote:
<quoted text>
Whoever said anything about raising taxes? No, I am no teacher, my employment is elsewhere. I'm just saying I would be a little ticked too if I was told there would be no raise for 4-5 years. Where's the incentive to stay in that job? You would have a bunch of teachers leaving, and then not enough to educate the children. But you chose to look at it short-sighted like taxes have to go up (when cuts elsewhere can clearly be made). Are you one of those overpaid admin. folks? Me thinks so.
The teachers have asked the County Supervisors to tax at the highest advertised rate. If that happens it will result in a tax increase. Again I will ask you why should government employees who have not had a raise themselves in two years and are facing a potential pay cut have to pay more in taxes in a down economy so teachers can get a raise?

You think the people that will lose their jobs will be the over paid admin people? Surely you jest. The cuts are going to be on the classroom aids and office staffs at the schools. They are the lowest paid and will be the first to go. To answer your question no I am not one of them but if I were I would have a huge issue losing my job so someone else can get a raise. Wouldn't you?

The incentives to stay in the job are 1. lack of jobs elsewhere 2. the few districts who are hiring tend to hire newer teachers because they make less 3. it is a job and they are getting paid. Those are three pretty good incentives. There are plenty of teachers who make less than they do or that are out of work who would love to take their place.

“God Bless America”

Woodbridge, VA

#11 Mar 15, 2012
ILBuckeye88 wrote:
<quoted text>
The teachers have asked the County Supervisors to tax at the highest advertised rate. If that happens it will result in a tax increase. Again I will ask you why should government employees who have not had a raise themselves in two years and are facing a potential pay cut have to pay more in taxes in a down economy so teachers can get a raise?
You think the people that will lose their jobs will be the over paid admin people? Surely you jest. The cuts are going to be on the classroom aids and office staffs at the schools. They are the lowest paid and will be the first to go. To answer your question no I am not one of them but if I were I would have a huge issue losing my job so someone else can get a raise. Wouldn't you?
The incentives to stay in the job are 1. lack of jobs elsewhere 2. the few districts who are hiring tend to hire newer teachers because they make less 3. it is a job and they are getting paid. Those are three pretty good incentives. There are plenty of teachers who make less than they do or that are out of work who would love to take their place.
And the PWC BOS already said that taxes won't go up. The teachers will lose that battle. All I'm saying is that cuts can be made elsewhere if they're that desperate to give the teachers somewhat of a raise.
ILBuckeye88

Stafford, VA

#12 May 3, 2012
Mark JM wrote:
<quoted text>
And the PWC BOS already said that taxes won't go up. The teachers will lose that battle. All I'm saying is that cuts can be made elsewhere if they're that desperate to give the teachers somewhat of a raise.
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe PWC BOS voted to raise taxes........

“God Bless America”

Woodbridge, VA

#13 May 4, 2012
ILBuckeye88 wrote:
<quoted text>
Correct me if I am wrong but I believe PWC BOS voted to raise taxes........
They did unfortunately, but not for this. The Police need more officers and vehicle upgrades as well. I think the average personal property tax will be $100 more this fiscal year. All things considered, PWC fared out much better than surrounding counties. For instance, Fairfax jacked up their rates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbridge Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Review: Belmont Bay HOA (May '13) May 24 Fedup 5
Review: Tamarack Stables (Mar '09) May 16 KArma 39
Foul odor at 234/95 interchange (Sep '11) May 16 KArma 22
Review: RE/MAX Executives - The Team USA May 13 fari278 2
Melissa Brennan (Aug '06) May 6 Jenn 95
News How race played into the decision to rename God... Mar '16 concernd 1
News Closing the generation app Mar '16 Aussiemaybe 1
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodbridge Mortgages