First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Splost confusion

Saint Marys, GA

#1 Feb 20, 2013
The original 2008 St. Marys Splost 6 list contained four categories.

1- Drainage
2- Water and Sewerage
3- Sidewalks and Streets
4- City Buildings

The first three items would account for over 81% of splost expenditures.
City Buildings would account for less than 19% of splost expenditures.
The people voted and endorsed the passing of Splost 6.

Fast forward to June 30th 2012 St. Marys financial report on projects funded with Splost 6.
http://www.ci.st-marys.ga.us/

This table indicates as of 30 June 2012;

18% of Splost 6 revenue went towards drainage, water and sewer, and sidewalks and streets.

82% of Splost 6 went to city buildings.(Orange Hall, Aquatic Center, Library, etcÂ….)

What am I missing here?

“Make St. Marys great again! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#2 Feb 20, 2013
A genuine desire to be part of the solution by voting for SPLOST VII.
Splost confusion

Saint Marys, GA

#3 Feb 20, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
A genuine desire to be part of the solution by voting for SPLOST VII.
Maybe you are right, Splost SEVEN will be the ticket....

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."
Albert Einstein
Voting YES

United States

#4 Feb 20, 2013
Don't you have a job, Jeremy? You seem to spend all your time on Topix.
Splost confusion

Saint Marys, GA

#5 Feb 20, 2013
Voting YES wrote:
Don't you have a job, Jeremy? You seem to spend all your time on Topix.
No Jeremy here. Just a St. Marys tax payer looking out for boh a short and long term soulution to our spending problems.

"It is projected that St. Marys will garner approximately $18.5 million over the six year duration of SPLOST VII. City Council is allocating nearly $11 million for the bond debt service. St. Marys will also receive over $4 million for infrastructure, over $1 million for city facilities and over $2 million for equipment and vehicles."

Splost 6 also projected over 18 million of revenue and garnered less than 12 million. Camden County growth is stagnant at best. Will the first 11 million of St. Marys Splost 7 portion go directly for the bond debt service or will history repeat itself?
WTF

Kingsland, GA

#6 Feb 20, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
A genuine desire to be part of the solution by voting for SPLOST VII.
Jay, type slow where I can understand you. Are you saying without a second thaught that if SPLOST7 passes you will say there will be zero tax increase from St. Marys or no water bill increase.
Jay you were the person that told them to pay it down with 6 and they in a round about way to go screw yourself you were wrong.
I would not have a problem with extra tax if it was spent right.
Them 7 idiots cant see that a light bill will have to be paid in March. Its not the tax its the way they spend it.
At one point you said all money was to be planned to spend before we voted on it right?
Then you turned around and said Roland put that THING in the part because it was money that we were going to lose if we did not spend it.You said he put it there to get votes from downtown.
So now I'm realy lost,I think correct me where I'm wrong.
We had a mayor/council that spent that money on whatever they wanted ? I call it a pet project.Jim Gant is already saying to wait on 7 before spending it on orange hall to me another pet project. So is SPLOST a SLUSH fund? I think that that is what it has become.
To me its about like Obama say taxes will go up only on the rich.
I'm missing about 550.00 a month taxes may have not gone up but my paycheck went down and federals part went up.Is that a tax raise or is it a chicken walking and quacking like a duck?
Splost confusion

Saint Marys, GA

#7 Feb 20, 2013
Is there anyone who can convince me with hard numbers to vote for Splost 7?

My finacial decisions are never based on fear.
Terry

Woodbine, GA

#8 Feb 20, 2013
What's the answer??????????

According to you idiots it's more taxes.

Until they come up with a bonafide list and a law that it must be followed, I will never vote for a SPLOST again. These pet projects that create a beast that must be fed with property taxes have to end. When will you idiots wake up and see that SPLOST does nothing more than build a bigger and bigger goverment that must be maintained. And not with SPLOST funds..........
Splost confusion

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Feb 20, 2013
CORRECTION:

"Splost 6 also projected over 18 million of revenue and garnered less than 12 million. Camden County growth is stagnant at best. Will the first 11 million of St. Marys Splost 7 portion go directly for the bond debt service or will history repeat itself? "

County growth is not stagnant at best, business licenses down another 33% from last year.

Our Mayor and those other idiots will look you right in the face and lie.
anon2

Woodbine, GA

#10 Feb 20, 2013
Splost confusion wrote:
Is there anyone who can convince me with hard numbers to vote for Splost 7?
My finacial decisions are never based on fear.
Is Post still on the Orange Hall Foundation? He served with Royal Weaver on the foundation for some years. The goal of the foundation was to raise money to rehab and repair Orange Hall. Does anyone know of any progress on fundraisng for Orange Hall after the previous members of the foundation raised money for repairs from selling tickets to see the HGTV Dreamhome in the early 2000's?
Really

Saint Marys, GA

#11 Feb 20, 2013
Splost confusion wrote:
CORRECTION:
"Splost 6 also projected over 18 million of revenue and garnered less than 12 million. Camden County growth is stagnant at best. Will the first 11 million of St. Marys Splost 7 portion go directly for the bond debt service or will history repeat itself? "
County growth is not stagnant at best, business licenses down another 33% from last year.
Our Mayor and those other idiots will look you right in the face and lie.
Once again these fools believe their speculation lies and will lead our town into further economic kayos.

“Make St. Marys great again! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#12 Feb 20, 2013
WTF wrote:
<quoted text>
Jay, type slow where I can understand you. Are you saying without a second thaught that if SPLOST7 passes you will say there will be zero tax increase from St. Marys or no water bill increase.
Jay you were the person that told them to pay it down with 6 and they in a round about way to go screw yourself you were wrong.
I would not have a problem with extra tax if it was spent right.
Them 7 idiots cant see that a light bill will have to be paid in March. Its not the tax its the way they spend it.
At one point you said all money was to be planned to spend before we voted on it right?
Then you turned around and said Roland put that THING in the part because it was money that we were going to lose if we did not spend it.You said he put it there to get votes from downtown.
So now I'm realy lost,I think correct me where I'm wrong.
We had a mayor/council that spent that money on whatever they wanted ? I call it a pet project.Jim Gant is already saying to wait on 7 before spending it on orange hall to me another pet project. So is SPLOST a SLUSH fund? I think that that is what it has become.
To me its about like Obama say taxes will go up only on the rich.
I'm missing about 550.00 a month taxes may have not gone up but my paycheck went down and federals part went up.Is that a tax raise or is it a chicken walking and quacking like a duck?
Okay, let me take it seriatim, if this thing will allow that much on one post.

Q: Are you saying without a second thaught that if SPLOST7 passes you will say there will be zero tax increase from St. Marys or no water bill increase?

Absolutely NOT. I've never said or suggested that. There WILL be both a millage rate increase and a water/sewer rate increase whether SPLOST VII passes or fails. That is the responsible thing for cvouncil to do. However, if it fails, the increases in the millage and water/sewer rates, respectively, will necessarily be MUCH larger than they would have been had it passed. The debt service nut they have to crack is a given. We can spread the tax base or follow ideolgue lunatics like Jeremy Spencer and vote it down to spite our own wallets.

Point: Jay you were the person that told them to pay it down with 6 and they in a round about way to go screw yourself you were wrong.

Comment Indeed I was. Were you and Gene there that night? Sounds like it. I will not be the first time my advice has been ignored.

“Make St. Marys great again! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#13 Feb 20, 2013
Point:
At one point you said all money was to be planned to spend before we voted on it right?
Then you turned around and said Roland put that THING in the part because it was money that we were going to lose if we did not spend it.

Answer: Yes, that is exactly right. The cities and county draw up plans for needed capital expenditures. The cities submit their original "wisah list" to the county. Thre are then negotiations to come to agreement on the final projects list put before the voters.

Yes, Roland DID spend the money on the UFO decoy in the park at the last possible moment to buy votes from the DMA, at their request, I might ad. He and they both, as well as the douncil, knew damned well they were violating state law when they voted that night. The law syas that that money should have reverted back to the county. If memeory serves, the aggregate of all suvch unexpended funds is supposed to be used to roll back property taxes or in some way "refund" tothe taxpayers. I'll have to look up the details again, but trust me,they knew it because rit was openly discussed before they voted to defy the law. I was there that night. I truly do not believe. That this council would do that. Remember, Roland presided over what I hope was St. Marys last city administration that viewed the O.C.G.A. as a list of optional suggestions for good governance. You no doubt recall the famous Brandon regime news conference in which Jerry proclaimed that if they had violated the law, then the law was an ass.

“Make St. Marys great again! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#14 Feb 20, 2013
Point: You said he put it there to get votes from downtown.
So now I'm realy lost,I think correct me where I'm wrong.
We had a mayor/council that spent that money on whatever they wanted ?
Comment:Yes, they did so and in clear cut, deliberate violation of the law.
To this day, I believe the county COULD demand the return of the $385,000 or so spent unlawfully on the UFO decoy.
Point: Point:
At one point you said all money was to be planned to spend before we voted on it right?
Then you turned around and said Roland put that THING in the part because it was money that we were going to lose if we did not spend it.
Answer: Yes, that is exactly right. The cities and county draw up plans for needed capital expenditures. The cities submit their original "wisah list" to the county. Thre are then negotiations to come to agreement on the final projects list put before the voters.
Yes, Roland DID spend the money on the UFO decoy in the park at the last possible moment to buy votes from the DMA, at their request, I might ad. He and they both, as well as the douncil, knew damned well they were violating state law when they voted that night. The law syas that that money should have reverted back to the county. If memeory serves, the aggregate of all suvch unexpended funds is supposed to be used to roll back property taxes or in some way "refund" tothe taxpayers. I'll have to look up the details again, but trust me,they knew it because rit was openly discussed before they voted to defy the law. I was there that night. I truly do not believe. That this council would do that. Remember, Roland presided over what I hope was St. Marys last city administration that viewed the O.C.G.A. as a list of optional suggestions for good governance. You no doubt recall the famous Brandon regime news conference in which Jerry proclaimed that if they had violated the law, then the law was an ass.
Point: You said he put it there to get votes from downtown.
So now I'm realy lost,I think correct me where I'm wrong.
We had a mayor/council that spent that money on whatever they wanted ?
Comment:Yes, they did so and in clear cut, deliberate violation of the law.
To this day, I believe the county COULD demand the return of the $385,00 or so spent unlawfully on the UFO decoy.
miami

Saint Marys, GA

#15 Feb 20, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
<quoted text>
Okay, let me take it seriatim, if this thing will allow that much on one post.
Q: Are you saying without a second thaught that if SPLOST7 passes you will say there will be zero tax increase from St. Marys or no water bill increase?
Absolutely NOT. I've never said or suggested that. There WILL be both a millage rate increase and a water/sewer rate increase whether SPLOST VII passes or fails. That is the responsible thing for cvouncil to do. However, if it fails, the increases in the millage and water/sewer rates, respectively, will necessarily be MUCH larger than they would have been had it passed. The debt service nut they have to crack is a given. We can spread the tax base or follow ideolgue lunatics like Jeremy Spencer and vote it down to spite our own wallets.
Point: Jay you were the person that told them to pay it down with 6 and they in a round about way to go screw yourself you were wrong.
Comment Indeed I was. Were you and Gene there that night? Sounds like it. I will not be the first time my advice has been ignored.
it will not go up for the sail boaters .

“Make St. Marys great again! ”

Since: Oct 10

St. Marys, GA

#16 Feb 20, 2013
POINT: Jim Gant is already saying to wait on 7 before spending it on orange hall to me another pet project.

Comment: If Jim got the votes on council and it made it onto the ballot, while it is a stupid expenditure on a Jim Walter "mansion" that I keep hoping lighting will take out, it will be perfectly lawful to spend the designated funds on the pseudo-"treasure."

POINT:

So is SPLOST a SLUSH fund? I think that that is what it has become.

Comment: There is always that potential if we do not know the law and insist they follow it.If only we could find a sane watchdog.
Jay Poor Jay

United States

#17 Feb 20, 2013
Moreno Jay wrote:
POINT: Jim Gant is already saying to wait on 7 before spending it on orange hall to me another pet project.
Comment: If Jim got the votes on council and it made it onto the ballot, while it is a stupid expenditure on a Jim Walter "mansion" that I keep hoping lighting will take out, it will be perfectly lawful to spend the designated funds on the pseudo-"treasure."
POINT:
So is SPLOST a SLUSH fund? I think that that is what it has become.
Comment: There is always that potential if we do not know the law and insist they follow it.If only we could find a sane watchdog.
Still putting you faith in government, local government, state government, federal government and big government. Grow up and get a clue Dude. You will never be a part of local, state or federal government. So why do you always take the side of swindlers, crooks and crony capitalist? They have never been and they never will be that much into you. So answer the question; why do you carry their water?
Splost Confusion

Saint Marys, GA

#18 Feb 20, 2013
So far no one has disputed the fact that the City Council will abuse Splost 7 in the same manner they abused Splost 6. They will pay the minimum amount necessary to keep the w/s bond from defaulting while pissing away millions on special interest projects. Why would anyone continue this insanity? There is no light at the end of this Splost tunnel.
paradise lost

Woodbine, GA

#19 Feb 20, 2013
Splost Confusion wrote:
So far no one has disputed the fact that the City Council will abuse Splost 7 in the same manner they abused Splost 6. They will pay the minimum amount necessary to keep the w/s bond from defaulting while pissing away millions on special interest projects. Why would anyone continue this insanity? There is no light at the end of this Splost tunnel.
It is understandable how you feel, many are only voting for Splost 7 to avoid being punished more because council won't be using the general fund to improve or purchase councils' pet projects and our taxes and water bills will not be increased as much.
One of the Hoodwinked

United States

#20 Feb 20, 2013
So SPLOST 7 fails. The idiots raise property tax and water and sewer bills. Then and just maybe then voters will get smart and vote for a city council that is fiscally conservative and looks our for the average homeowning taxpayer. We need a City Council that will treat tax revenue as the people's money and not as their own personal slush fund.

Enough of the real estate cartel special interest pukes.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Navy to take over St. Marys Airport 8 min Moreno Jay 35
St Marys Event Planner...NOT 48 min Moreno Jay 107
The coming landslide: Trump will crush Clinton 55 min Moreno Jay 8
Donald J. Trump Statement Regarding British Ref... 8 hr LonePalm 1
This Weeks County Clown - Commissioner Keen 9 hr Voter 11
JDA, Chamber, DDA, Shela McNeil (Jun '15) 13 hr SpacePortMyArse 4
Donald J. Trump on the Stakes of the Election 15 hr Landslide 10
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Woodbine Mortgages