What's up with the Waterfront Park Sn...

What's up with the Waterfront Park Snack Shop?

Posted in the Woodbine Forum

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
WaterfrontWharfR at

Herndon, PA

#1 Mar 20, 2013
Is JoeT out of business?
RiverRat

Herndon, PA

#2 Mar 20, 2013
The city shut him down for selling hotdogs. Rumor is that with the new SPLOST money, the space will be renovated for free showers, free laundry and a free wifi lounge for the increased boaters traffic with the Maritme District approval.

Hell, I just may register to vote and stay here on my boat at anchor. What a town!
Primaveral

Saint Marys, GA

#3 Mar 20, 2013
WaterfrontWharfRat wrote:
Is JoeT out of business?
Tear the building down it has never been anything but a point of contention. There will never be anything that will work at that location. City will not allow it to work. Close the boat ramp and move everyone over to the Meeting Street boat ramp.

This location should have never had a live bait operation in a city park. Some more ill conceived plans trying to please everyone and screwing it up for all.

City Council does not have enough brains to do anything right.
Federal Park Service

Saint Marys, GA

#4 Mar 20, 2013
They use their little building to keep the lawn mowers. Great use of the building on the water front. Park Service never needed that building or property in the first place. Just a place to take up tickets and bathrooms and the dock.

Rest of the operation could have been in Orange Hall. Then they could have maintained the old building. Would not have a need for the two story house on Wheeler or the museum on Osborne street.
Federal Park Service

Saint Marys, GA

#5 Mar 20, 2013
Every time the Government takes another property it no longer produces taxes.
JUST ME

Kingsland, GA

#6 Mar 20, 2013
Primaveral wrote:
<quoted text>
Tear the building down it has never been anything but a point of contention. There will never be anything that will work at that location. City will not allow it to work. Close the boat ramp and move everyone over to the Meeting Street boat ramp.
This location should have never had a live bait operation in a city park. Some more ill conceived plans trying to please everyone and screwing it up for all.
They won't move it to Meeting St. That is where city employees go to screw off, or screw, heard some of the city's finest have used it on rainy days
creekman

Herndon, PA

#7 Mar 21, 2013
Primaveral wrote:
<quoted text>
With a fishing pier on site and the boat ramp (paid for by taxes on fishing equipment) the bait shop certainly does belong on the site. A properly run bait shop/rod rental/snack bar/equipment sales and service could make it just fine.
I Remember

United States

#8 Mar 21, 2013
Primaveral wrote:
<quoted text>
Boating, docks and support is much more part of Historical Downtown than the park with that Thing.
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Mar 21, 2013
creekman wrote:
<quoted text>
With a fishing pier on site and the boat ramp (paid for by taxes on fishing equipment) the bait shop certainly does belong on the site. A properly run bait shop/rod rental/snack bar/equipment sales and service could make it just fine.
You don't have a clue about what it takes to keep shrimp alive at that location. Plus that shrimp smell in your snack. The two do not go together. This is a mess to put bluntly.
creekman

Herndon, PA

#10 Mar 21, 2013
Anon wrote:
<quoted text>
You don't have a clue about what it takes to keep shrimp alive at that location. Plus that shrimp smell in your snack. The two do not go together. This is a mess to put bluntly.
Oh but you are so wrong. I used to hang out at the shop all the time.

If Okefenokee Outfitters can sell shrimp on Kings Bay Road, you can certainly sell shrimp at the Park.

The pumps and the pick-up for the water circulation system at the park require frequent maintenance. It was always treated like it was a "get it working and forget it" operation.

That bait shop needed to be treated like a full time job, not a hobby operation, open for 3 or 4 hours a day. You have to stay on top of the live shrimp, constantly getting rid of the sick and dying shrimp. But they needed to stock mud minnows and fiddlers as well as the shrimp.

The fishing supplies at the park were always a joke. No rigs, hooks, sinkers, jigs, line that anyone ever used......just a bunch if worthless crap suitable for I don't know what.

None of the operators took the job seriously. And the city made some of the operators clean the bathrooms......that was nuts.

If I ran the bait shop, it would be properly stocked and profitable.
nobs

Saint Augustine, FL

#11 Mar 21, 2013
Looks like I've finally heard the truth about that bait shop. Interesting.
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#12 Mar 22, 2013
Treated like a full time business with part time fishermen. Creekman you are so full of shrimp you can't wiggle.
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#13 Mar 22, 2013
The entire post is so far out of reality it should be in a comic strip. You are a Jack Ass for putting this crap up. Another arm chair business Buffoon.

Ben Smith ran that business with all his heart and it was not enough.
Anon

Saint Marys, GA

#14 Mar 22, 2013
Kings Road in Jacksonville population 1.2 Million people and you compare it to St. Marys population 15,000 you jerk.
creekman

Herndon, PA

#15 Mar 22, 2013
It looks like you are having a little hizzy fit, Anon, because you have a set agenda that the bait shop can't work. But it CAN work.

Like I said, it needs to be managed like a business striving for success. I would sell not only tackle, but rods and reels. I would also repair rods and reels, which could keep the shop running at least 8 hours a day. Do the repairs during the slow hours.

Additionally, I would monitor a VHF channel and take float plans for boaters and inshore/offshore fishermen.

I have seen this concept work in other communities.

Anon, don't be bitter because your negative take on the Bait Shop has been blown out of the water. Honestly, it could be a successful business for the right person. But, it must be approached as a serious business venture. No kicking back, hiding beer in the frig and sipping coffee with the buds from 9:00 till noon.
RiverRat

Herndon, PA

#16 Mar 22, 2013
creekman wrote:
It looks like you are having a little hizzy fit, Anon, because you have a set agenda that the bait shop can't work. But it CAN work.
Like I said, it needs to be managed like a business striving for success. I would sell not only tackle, but rods and reels. I would also repair rods and reels, which could keep the shop running at least 8 hours a day. Do the repairs during the slow hours.
Additionally, I would monitor a VHF channel and take float plans for boaters and inshore/offshore fishermen.
I have seen this concept work in other communities.
Anon, don't be bitter because your negative take on the Bait Shop has been blown out of the water. Honestly, it could be a successful business for the right person. But, it must be approached as a serious business venture. No kicking back, hiding beer in the frig and sipping coffee with the buds from 9:00 till noon.
No Beer in the frig, no coffee with the good ole boys. Shit, why even have a bait shop?
D Hase

Herndon, PA

#17 Mar 22, 2013
RiverRat wrote:
<quoted text>
No Beer in the frig, no coffee with the good ole boys. Shit, why even have a bait shop?
If Tim knew the bait shop had beer in the frig, you would still be in the slammer.
True

United States

#18 Mar 22, 2013
D Hase wrote:
<quoted text>
If Tim knew the bait shop had beer in the frig, you would still be in the slammer.
Isn't that the truth. I see in today paper the smpd busted a twenty year old base warrior for having booze.
Norton

United States

#19 Mar 22, 2013
D Hase wrote:
<quoted text>
Beer in the fridge or DA in the Town Hall, hey.
baby mama drama

Saint Marys, GA

#20 Mar 23, 2013
RiverRat wrote:
The city shut him down for selling hotdogs. Rumor is that with the new SPLOST money, the space will be renovated for free showers, free laundry and a free wifi lounge for the increased boaters traffic with the Maritme District approval.
Hell, I just may register to vote and stay here on my boat at anchor. What a town!
Wow...free!!! That just means the ghetto will be using the machines for free laundry & showers for their 7.5 kids.
And I seriously doubt we get boat traffic....St Marys is all but a ghost town, nobody wants to come here.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Linda Does Dirty On Dilworth 5 min Saint Marys Resident 67
Fox Ann Coulter mocks Trump 9 min Ospreyite 4
Moronoisafraud.com 1 hr Nowhaturup2 6
Notice To All Posters 1 hr Good Bye 1
Shame on the thread poster(s) re: Linda Williams. 2 hr Jorge 34
you were warned about do nothing linda williams... 2 hr Jorge 6
dude beats on baby... (Jan '16) Jan '16 nunya 1

Woodbine Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance