First Prev
of 92
Next Last
CamdenPride

United States

#1 Feb 9, 2009
As a concerned citizen I feel it is necessary to start a Business Death Watch to point out just how bad the business climate is here in Camden. Until you all start to see the number of closings you won't appreciate just how bad the business climate is stacked agianst the small buiness owner.

Please submit any business names you know that have closed in the past 12 months to my list:

Playtime Toddler
St Marys Seafood
B & K 's Auto Repair
Another Level Barbershop
Tiki Deli
Caribean Junction
Sin Far Chinese
Spa 21
3 Chefs Deli
Churchs Chicken
Sidelines
Rheema
Goodys
Golf etc
Ace Hardware
84 Lumber
Furniture Factory Outlet
Playtime Pools
Anon

Madison, WI

#2 Feb 9, 2009
I'm afraid too many don't care, as they don't recognize the affect. Until something major pops up down at the end of Osborne it will continue.
Maybe you should check your list again. Also the JDA is worthless to the taxpayer.
humorous

Saint Marys, GA

#3 Feb 10, 2009
and yet taxes go up...

“Profile under contruction....”

Since: Sep 08

St. Marys

#4 Feb 11, 2009
Sad but true
CamdenPride

United States

#5 Feb 11, 2009
The list is only a starter as I dont see them all. These are the ones I have seen in my daily passing. Please add more if you know of any.

It is time for all citizens to get more involved and start taking the politicians to task. They are wheeling and dealing with our kids future and sticking it to us in the form of higher taxes for there mistakes. Throw them out at the polls!!!!

billssqueeze

Madison, WI

#6 Feb 11, 2009
Close the banks and outlaw credit cards. Small buisness is the answer. Do any of you believe a stimulas will help any of us.
CamdenPride

Madison, WI

#7 Feb 16, 2009
Congratulations Camden County Tax Commission you are well on your way to establishing a ghost town in St Marys the way you raised real estate taxes here! You who you going to collect taxes from they are all closing. Next will be our homes! Good job Rick!!!!!

Heres some more closings

La Tienda Grocery store
Ameriprise
TG Edwards
Salsa Bar and Grill
Romper-Room
Mo-Joes
Jimmy Deep Fried Hot Dogs
Atlantic Auto

Bob

United States

#8 Feb 16, 2009
CamdenPride wrote:
Congratulations Camden County Tax Commission you are well on your way to establishing a ghost town in St Marys the way you raised real estate taxes here! You who you going to collect taxes from they are all closing. Next will be our homes! Good job Rick!!!!!
Heres some more closings
La Tienda Grocery store
Ameriprise
TG Edwards
Salsa Bar and Grill
Romper-Room
Mo-Joes
Atlantic Auto
Mo Joe's didn't close. They just dropped the franchise and renamed it to Skinny Petes if I remember right. Same people own and run it.
humorous

Saint Marys, GA

#9 Feb 16, 2009
Atlantic Auto Brokers didn't close either...they did have to move back to their old location across from Shadowlawn though. I was told that a couple of the car dealers in Camden were in big trouble...
s dee

Vonore, TN

#10 Feb 16, 2009
Add to the list:
The Vineyard Sandwich Shop
Blondies
Great Donuts
Trade Winds Coffee Shop
Justin

Madison, WI

#11 Feb 16, 2009
CamdenPride wrote:
Heres some more closings
La Tienda Grocery store
Ameriprise
TG Edwards

Salsa Bar and Grill
Romper-Room
Mo-Joes
Atlantic Auto
Jimmy Jim's was no good and there is now a much better restaraunt in it's place that seems to be thriving.
CamdenPride

United States

#12 Feb 17, 2009
Thanks for your reply, my point is the high taxes create high rent for these businesses making it impossible for a a mom and pop sized store to survive.

What the hell has happened here in ST Marys? I once toyed with openingmy own business but with rental rates of $2-3 per sq ft who the hell would open a business?

I seem to remember that rent was cheap and businesses flourished until that real estate Pimp Bill Gross and his buddy Terry Stover got the brilliant idea to open Cumberland Harbor and invite HGTV here.

Now look what we have progress but at what cost? We have sold our soul to the rich northerners and west coast elite and the average joe cannot afford to live here anymore. Neither can small business.
Birdy

Athens, ME

#13 Feb 17, 2009
and most of the rental commercial properties are so run down and need a revamp.
I think I heard that a restaurant in Kings Bay Village is going bye bye too.
Fatboy

Solon, ME

#14 Feb 17, 2009
I heard Belks is next on list to close. I wish I could find a desent building to rent for only 2-3 bucks a square foot!!!!!!!
Walmart shopping center charges $12.00 -$15.00 per sq. ft. How you like those rates????????
See you at the food stamp office....FB
No Name Please

Madison, WI

#15 Feb 18, 2009
Jimmy Jim's did not close, it was sold and reopened by new owner.
JD Magoo

Madison, WI

#16 Feb 18, 2009
Look around. The only people spending money in this town are military spouses. Let's open a business targeting military spouses. Generally speaking, the locales can't support every service based industry in this community. Where are the jobs? The Navy Support Facilities can hire only so many uneducated people. The citizens of Camden County better get on their knees and thank Sheila McNeil for her persistant approach on SSBN conversion. Without the Military we would be in big trouble here. With that I leave this info. The biggest and most profitable small business in this county is feeling the crunch. I know I work for them. You people have no idea.
local business supporter

Athens, ME

#17 Feb 18, 2009
Buzz Cutz
Downtown Bakery
O'Briens - I think so by the looks of things
Justin

Madison, WI

#18 Feb 18, 2009
Downtown needs some support, if we could build up downtown and get some interest there that would be a great starting point. As it stands there is no promotion and next to no activities ever going on downtown. What about that great stage at the downtown waterfront how often is that put to use? Not to mention Orange Hall, what a waste...
local business supporter

Athens, ME

#19 Feb 24, 2009
also, Wajawant Comics looks to be out of biz, or did they move?

Since: Feb 09

Location hidden

#20 Feb 26, 2009
i moved my office to saint simions cheaper up there than here. to run it from home it would of cost me more so i moved 2 boats up there.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 92
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Woodbine Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
GA Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Georgia i... (Oct '10) 2 hr Chopper Read 55,636
Georgia the HIGHEST unemployment in the USA 5 hr Checkitout 2
Exploiting Property Tax Payers 6 hr Ann Nunn 7
Wow, white guys lie & do drugs too, who knew? 6 hr Defintely Not Jay 1
St. Marys meatier matters. 8 hr Boris 30
taxes going up in camden $1 for every $1000 8 hr Truth 38
atv park (Sep '08) 10 hr Tweeter83 11
•••
•••
Woodbine Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••