Catholic Children Home 1950
Mark

Springfield, IL

#143 Nov 12, 2012
Cecile Brownlow wrote:
My grandmother (Cecile Brownlow) went there in the late 1920's. She was 5. She had a sister named Barbara and a brother but I can't remember his name. They were never adopted and lived there till they were 18. My dad went to the home years ago and could not find much on her. Actually just her name indicating she was a resident. Does anyone know how I can get more info on her stay and maybe some pictures?
My grandfather James Oldani and great uncle Tony were in the home from about 1910-1917. I stopped by to attempt to get more information but didn't get much help. I was told there was a fire that destroyed some records in 1922-23. They were Catholic and they were orpaned after teh death of their father in 1910 and their mother 1913. They were from Herrin, Illinois. I do know my grandfather sent money to the Home until his death in the 1980's. Hope this helps
Jourdan Martinez

Dekalb, IL

#144 Apr 2, 2013
It was really interesting reading everyone's experiences. I stumbled upon this thread while trying to research some family history. My grandfather lived here until he turned 18. The time line is a little confusing, but I believe he lived there from the mid 30's to late 40's. His name was Peter Martinez. I know he had siblings that lived there as well, but I am sad to say that I don't even know their names. If anyone remembers the Martinez kids, I would love to hear from you! I know it's far-fetched that anyone would recognize the name, but this place was a big part of my grandpa's life.
JIMMY MILLS

Alton, IL

#145 May 26, 2013
LOOKING FOR INFORMATION ON WHAT WOULD BE MY WIFES AUNT FROM OCT. 28 1939 MY WIFES FATHER AND AUNT WHERE PLACED THERE IN 1939 HER AUNT IT IS SAID FELL OUT A WINDOW THERE ON DAY MENTIONED ABOVE AND WAS NOT INJURED BUT WAS ADOPTED SHORTLY AFTER THAT. WE ARE TRYING TO GET INFO ON HER FOR MY WIFES FAMILY TREE.
Charles hollinshead

Taylorville, IL

#146 Jun 30, 2013
Michael Fanale wrote:
<quoted text>
You're probably a little older than me. I was in Guardian Angel in '73. Yeah, Leon Alexander and Mark McGrath had a pistol of some sort and fired it at a passing cab. Juan Shields was implicated but later exonerated. Years later I saw Johnny Alexander at a track meet in Springfield and I think he said Leon was killed when they moved to Chicago and he got involved with the Disciples. That was years ago so I could be mistaken. Mark McGrath came by Sacred Heart around '75 or '76 to chat with Sister Ruth Marie and play bumper pool with some of us. I remember Sister saying how proud of him she was so I assume he'd turned his life around.
Those Alexander kids were rough. I remember Andrew Alexander, after Sister Rachel told him to leave the Guardian Angel area with a BB Gun he was showing us, replied by letting off 20 or so rounds at her as he chased her around the front yard with 12 children screeching like hyenas behind them.
You gotta name on your friend Mike in St. Joe's? Just a stab in the dark but was his name Hollingshead? I remember a lot of them coming through in the early '70s.
Hey, you probably know Sue Cosner. She lived there around that time and I think she had several siblings there also. She was working there when I was in Don Bosco. She has several posts here earlier on so I'm sure she pops in periodically. Anyway, hoping to see some more pics if you have any.
--hey Micheal Fanale I was in gardion angel with you and Micheal Northcutt been wondering about you guys I'm glad to hear you are still around I don't know when I got there but I got out in 1974 my brother mike was there way before that we came later I don't remember to many people but am looking forward to talking about it I not very good at this whole Internet thing sorry bout that hope to hear back. chuck
Max Hollinshead

Altamont, IL

#147 Jun 30, 2013
Hi Folks i was at the home from around 1960 to around 1967 and then again around 1970 to 1973 or 74 not sure on the exact years. I have 9 brothers and sisters I'll start with Charles Angie John Max that's me Joe Robert Mark Jennette Thelma Mike Hollinshesd. That's youngest to oldest. Charles found this forum and told me about i knew a lot of folks that are talked about here. I live about 90 miles away from the home and come to Alton every now and again. When i first came there Father Andy was the head man I've saw a lot of the sisters names i knew when i was there. If any of you knew me or any of my brothers or sisters let me know. I sure would like to see some pics of the kids.I remember the little book they would put out once or twice a year with the kids pictures and what not in there i would like to get some copy's of that -- Can't remember what it was called.i have a few pics of just us kids while we were there when mom and dad would come to visit.I remember Topper and Phill the two dogs we had they were the greatest dogs Phill slobbered a lot though (Bull Dog). Well i could go on but I'll see if there's anyone out there that remembers me or my brothers and sisters. I feel like you all are kinda family. Max Hollinshead
Max Hollinshead

Altamont, IL

#148 Jun 30, 2013
glenn wrote:
<quoted text>
hello Mike, I attended '70-73' in St Joe apartment with Sister Ada, and school at SS Peter and Paul 6-8th grade.
Father Quilligan, remember him well, strict, fair, devout, fun loving and a good cook, remember his turtle soup? and drove that dark green Grand Torino, rides to the train station and the like.
and all the Sisters, I think at the time, the apartment between St Joe and Little Flower was an apartment for the Sisters,.
good eating, strict discipline, schooling and athletics, played touch football on the blacktop, and tackle in the grass, roller skating, and hockey on roller skates, kick ball, the list goes on...bike trips to movie house, library, the caves...trips to see the cardinals play, Pier Marqette? current river...good old times.
not real good with the names from back then, but remember Mark and Phoebe Magrath, Raymond and Jimmy Eidlen? Jimmy Griffith, the Alexander brothers, the Rios sisters.
Hi Mike i remember you and Brad and all the stuff everyone talks about on here (lots of names) It was kinda crazy there but there but there was some good times along with bad.I've been back to the home a couple of times and wanted to talk to John Brill they said he was there but was busy with a troubled kid at that time so we hung around about an hour waiting and Bob Hooper walked by thats been 20 years ago or so but i talked to Bob for a while i knew him good while i was there from 1960 to 1968 or 69 and then again in the 1970s - Long time - If there's anyone out there that has any questions i have a lot of answers if i don't know I'll make something up there's a lot of names in the back of my head. See ya Max Hollinshead
Joan Chaplin

Bettendorf, IA

#149 Jul 1, 2013
Hi Max Hollingsworth I can't say I remember you but I do remember you sister Janette. Matter of fact I have a pic some were around here of she and I together. I was there until like 1967, I had 5 brothers that were there as well. Mark, Mike,Don, Dan and Dale. Not sure if you remember any of them or not. The 3 younger ones were there til like 1970-1971. I think Dan was down that way and stopped at the home last year. This is such a great way to kind of hear from some of the people we knew way back then. Great to hear from you tell Janeete hello and see if she remembers me. Joan
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#150 Jul 1, 2013
pharris wrote:
<quoted text>The dogs name was rusty........my brothers lived there along with me from 1959 - 1962 I was 4 when we went in and a very shy little girl but I remember it well
I remember Rusty He was always in a pen down by the smoke stack by the laundry what was your last name i might have known your brothers.
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#151 Jul 1, 2013
Linda Fillback wrote:
<quoted text> My brother still works there not like it was when we all grew up there --am looking for anyone who lived there from 1970-1980 in contact with Donna Engle and Carol Stuan
I remember Donna Engle and her sister Sara
I think there grand parents were from mason Il. She was a friend of mine and went out with Ray a guy that had a VW with a souped up engine she was cool but havnt heard from her since i moved out of the home. I knew Harvey and Bob one was in my class and one was in Johns class. Max
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#152 Jul 1, 2013
Ed Colvin wrote:
<quoted text>
Jackie,
I would be interested in any photos you took at the orphanage. I have been wanting to get back there for years, but just never seemed to have to time. I didn't learn about the 130th anniversary reunion until it was too late. So, if you have the time, I would definitely be interested in any photos you took while there. Thanks, in advance,
Ed
Jackie i would love to see pics from the home and the pics of pics my email is [email protected] I was there from 1960 to 1975 on and off i spent about 10 years of my life there. Thanks Max Hollinshead
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#153 Jul 1, 2013
glenn wrote:
I have scans of 6 pictures taken at the home in 1969-'73, a young gal, well about my and my brothers ages at the time, not the Rios sisters or Pheobe Magrath, but seeing the name Linda Fillback rings a bell, so I found them and uploaded to skydrive to share.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir... !1458&authkey=!AIzwTra2FUo njVc
I think my brother is in the doorway, with glasses, and I think the other boy is one of the Alexander boys.
Glenn i would like to see the pics you posted but they seem to be gone my email is [email protected] i was ther at that time and knew a lot of the kids there - I wish i knew your last name ok Thanks Max Hollinshead
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#154 Jul 1, 2013
Michael Fanale wrote:
<quoted text>
You're probably a little older than me. I was in Guardian Angel in '73. Yeah, Leon Alexander and Mark McGrath had a pistol of some sort and fired it at a passing cab. Juan Shields was implicated but later exonerated. Years later I saw Johnny Alexander at a track meet in Springfield and I think he said Leon was killed when they moved to Chicago and he got involved with the Disciples. That was years ago so I could be mistaken. Mark McGrath came by Sacred Heart around '75 or '76 to chat with Sister Ruth Marie and play bumper pool with some of us. I remember Sister saying how proud of him she was so I assume he'd turned his life around.
Those Alexander kids were rough. I remember Andrew Alexander, after Sister Rachel told him to leave the Guardian Angel area with a BB Gun he was showing us, replied by letting off 20 or so rounds at her as he chased her around the front yard with 12 children screeching like hyenas behind them.
You gotta name on your friend Mike in St. Joe's? Just a stab in the dark but was his name Hollingshead? I remember a lot of them coming through in the early '70s.
Hey, you probably know Sue Cosner. She lived there around that time and I think she had several siblings there also. She was working there when I was in Don Bosco. She has several posts here earlier on so I'm sure she pops in periodically. Anyway, hoping to see some more pics if you have any.
Michael I was just a house or two away from the shooting and knew both Mark and Leon real well they called the cab and when he got there they held him up. They wanted to get some more Mad Dog 20-20 and the chap didnt have any money so Leon shot him. I heard the shot from Tony Judys house it didnt kill the driver but hurt him badly just like alton there were black and white cop cars all over the place all the kids from the home had to kinda split back to the home Mark and Leon ran. The guy they shot later died in a wreck on the way to court and since he was the only witness they had to let Leon and Mark go but they were never welcomed back to the home. I heard the same thing you did about Leon that he died shortly after going home to the windy city and i think Mark went to the Navy. Mark and I were very good friends. Leon got the gun from a gay man that picked him up down town and tryed some funny stuff on him. Leon took the gun from him and shot him. it wasnt a fatal shot and since the guy was in the wrong never reported it. I have lots of storys about the time i spent there my email is [email protected] I think you were in the same class as charles my little brother he would be glad to here from you . See Ya Max Hollinshead
Jacqueline Sims

United States

#155 Jul 2, 2013
Max Hollinshead wrote:
<quoted text>Jackie i would love to see pics from the home and the pics of pics my email is [email protected] I was there from 1960 to 1975 on and off i spent about 10 years of my life there. Thanks Max Hollinshead
I will send pics to you. I also have them posted on google for public view. I will send you the link in email and I will post it here for you to see as well.
Jacqueline Sims

United States

#156 Jul 2, 2013
I will post a link where you can see them and if you can't then I will send them this evening.
Jacqueline Sims

United States

#157 Jul 2, 2013
Max Hollinshead wrote:
<quoted text>Michael I was just a house or two away from the shooting and knew both Mark and Leon real well they called the cab and when he got there they held him up. They wanted to get some more Mad Dog 20-20 and the chap didnt have any money so Leon shot him. I heard the shot from Tony Judys house it didnt kill the driver but hurt him badly just like alton there were black and white cop cars all over the place all the kids from the home had to kinda split back to the home Mark and Leon ran. The guy they shot later died in a wreck on the way to court and since he was the only witness they had to let Leon and Mark go but they were never welcomed back to the home. I heard the same thing you did about Leon that he died shortly after going home to the windy city and i think Mark went to the Navy. Mark and I were very good friends. Leon got the gun from a gay man that picked him up down town and tryed some funny stuff on him. Leon took the gun from him and shot him. it wasnt a fatal shot and since the guy was in the wrong never reported it. I have lots of storys about the time i spent there my email is [email protected] I think you were in the same class as charles my little brother he would be glad to here from you . See Ya Max Hollinshead
Here is a link to the photos that I took.

https://cid-4a0c151be57691cf.photos.live.com/...
Jacqueline Sims

United States

#158 Jul 2, 2013
If anyone wants to see pictures, I can email them but the attachments are large. I have posted them on sky drive. Just copy the link below and paste it in the address bar and it will take you directly to the pictures. If you have problems viewing them please let me know.

https://cid-4a0c151be57691cf.photos.live.com/...
Bill Colvin

Camas, WA

#159 Jul 3, 2013
I was a child at the home from 1951 to 1954 and can tell you the nuns did a fantastic job with the children. We had as close to a home atmosphere as you could get. I think my time at the home directed me to the person I am today.
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#160 Jul 3, 2013
I remember one of the kids thought he could swing all the way around on the big swing set we had out on the black top and there must have been a 100 or more kids out there and he went back and forth and up and down and he made it all the way to the top and stopped and the swing came straight down and he hit the ground and didnt get up i might remember what his name was later but its not coming to me right now anyway the normal saying from the nuns was (ok pick up the pieces) like there wasnt anything wrong but he was badly injured does anyone remember that. Max H.
Max Hollinshead

Beecher City, IL

#161 Jul 3, 2013
I'll just throw a few names out there and see if anyone remembers any of them - sorry for the miss spelling in advance- Juan Shields was in my class he had a brother Bobbie and sister Roberta - Timmy Gather - Bob and Wayne Hooper - Pat Davidson - Henry Nance - Brad and Mike Sommers - Loni Lobb - Raymond and Jimmy Eidlen - Michael Leon and Andrew Alexander - Donna and Sara Engle - Mark and Pheobe Magrath - There were so many kids that came and went that I couldnt remember them all but that will give you something to chew on. I remember a lot of the kids i went to school with after we went out to Peter and paul and Marqette high. ok I have a 1000 storys but for now- Peace out Max H.
Ed Colvin

Brussels, Belgium

#162 Jul 18, 2013
My brother and I recently visited the home. It had been years since we had been there. It really changed. It is now the Catholic Children's Home in name only. Because of the presence of children, we could not tour the home. I asked about the chapel and was informed that it no longer existed because it was felt that the children "needed a choice". Also disappointing was the condition of the Our Lady of Fatima statue out front. It was covered with mold and algae. We were told that "it was not in the budget" to have her cleaned. I still have fond memories of the home, but they are fading.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wood River Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Angela or Angie Raines 19 hr Smitty 1
kristin duich (Aug '15) Jul 19 Idk 2
natasha theis (Jul '10) Jul 18 Dj Junior 9
Elisa Marie Tate Jul 18 Yankee Liberal 1
Elisa Marie Tate Jul 18 Yankee Liberal 1
woodstock bar Jul 16 hardhead 1
Outlaws MC (Sep '09) Jul 12 hardhead 119

Wood River Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance