Catholic Here

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 7, 2007

Does anyone have info on this Children home in the 1950 In Alton Illinois. Was this a home for Catholic's only? What was the purpose of this home.Why so many children there in the 1950's.Was it private school? Any infor welcome.Thanks
Dorothy Hillman

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 28, 2007

Catholic Here wrote:
Does anyone have info on this Children home in the 1950 In Alton Illinois. Was this a home for Catholic's only? What was the purpose of this home.Why so many children there in the 1950's.Was it private school? Any infor welcome.Thanks
The Catholic Children's Home is located at 1400 State Street, Alton IL, 62002. Their website is http://www.catholicchildrenshome.com/index.ht...
I volunteered there over twenty years ago in their Special Ed Dept.
Ed Colvin

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 11, 2007

Judged:

Catholic Here wrote:
I was a child at the "Home" from 1951 - 1957. It was an instutition for orphans and children from "broken" families. Most of the children came from Catholic families, but there were children of other faiths there also. Many of us came from environments of pain and fear and this was a place of love and safety. The nuns were not perfect, but they did the best they could with what they were given. I have had the opportunity to talk to other former boys and girls of the home and they, with one exception, feel as I do. I have nothing but praise and love for the sisters and the home.
edlin frier

Satellite Provider

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 15, 2008

does anyone one know a picture or information for childrens jobs in 1950 if so please say
Terri

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 21, 2008

My grandmother use to work at the Catholic Childrens' Home in the 70's as a cook.
Dan in Wisconsin

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

Ed Colvin wrote:
<quoted text>
I was a child at the "Home" from 1951 - 1957. It was an instutition for orphans and children from "broken" families. Most of the children came from Catholic families, but there were children of other faiths there also. Many of us came from environments of pain and fear and this was a place of love and safety. The nuns were not perfect, but they did the best they could with what they were given. I have had the opportunity to talk to other former boys and girls of the home and they, with one exception, feel as I do. I have nothing but praise and love for the sisters and the home.
I was put there in 1963 along with three brothers and two sisters, it was a safe and warm place for me also, coming from abusive alchoholic father. in a divorce. I have very good memories from then, the only thing I didnt like, they seperated us and I only saw one brother the entire time I was there. I am glad I had that experience in my life at that time. I would like to see pictures from that time and talk to others if interested e-mail me at braada1@cs.com thamks
Dan in Wisconsin

Milwaukee, WI

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 29, 2008

anyone with pictures they would like to share from around 1963 from the childrens home, I would appreciate, especially the outside, I remeber sledding down a big hill in the back and picnics on the side of the building. alot of good memories from then. e-mail to braada1@cs.com thanks
joe creath

San Luis Obispo, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2008

Me and my one brother and three sisters were in the "Home" from 1943 to 1949.I don't know if every child there was Catholic but every child there attended Catholic Mass every day.
Jackie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 22, 2008

I was a resident of the home along with two brothers and two sisters in 1959 to 1960. I was only three to four at the time. I was always getting spanked for crying and peeing my pants. My older siblings got along much better and enjoyed the care. We were separated which was very hard on me, my older sister had been my care giver so when I would catch a glimps of her I would bolt out of line to run to her therefore being in trouble again. We had a warm place to sleep and food to eat but as a very young child my understanding of the situation was they kept my "ME ME" (sister) away from me and I cryed all the time. Sometimes our Mother & sister-in-law would come to visit, at that time we were all together, my happiest moments there!!!
Kelly Duncan

Circle Pines, MN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2009

My Grandmother went there in, well all I know is that she "graduated" in 1937. She died when my mom was fours years old - she was only 28 at the time of her death. My Mom said that nobody would talk to her about her - her Dad would just break down, so she really knows nothing about her. Her only memorie of her was of her in bed with a cane and then being taken out of the house and put into a car (hearse most likely). She died of cervical cancer.
My mom had an autograph book (I never knew until last night) of her Mom's from the school. It is signed with sweet and funny saying from her classmates and the Nuns. It is very cool to read it but now I am longing for more. If anyone has any information, I would love to hear back. Her name was Mary Helen Hennessey.
karin varble

Jerseyville, IL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

i remember very little about the home, i lived there for a short time when i was about 4 or 5 . my 2 brothers and i lived there, we also were seperated from each other. i have several pics of us taken in the front of the building with the virgin mary. unfortunatly i do not remember much. i remember lots of children being there and all housed in one room.
Jackie

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 8, 2009

karin varble wrote:
i remember very little about the home, i lived there for a short time when i was about 4 or 5 . my 2 brothers and i lived there, we also were seperated from each other. i have several pics of us taken in the front of the building with the virgin mary. unfortunatly i do not remember much. i remember lots of children being there and all housed in one room.
What year were you there? I was there at that age also (3 to 4). I do remember in our large room an old record player playing Humpty Dumpty and we took turns sitting in a swing set bar falling off as he fell. We had pictures taken in front of the home also, my sister has them. I visited the home in 1996 with my sister and a friend, brought back a lot of memories and also cleared up some fears.
BAR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 17, 2009

I know some things the school is haunted
that is what the people that work there say
the school is old and needs up dates
C Davis

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 24, 2009

Catholic Here wrote:
No this home was not just for Catholics. It was mainly a home for orphans; but they accepted children on a weekly basis for parents that could not take care of them at home because of working. It was like a live-in baby sitting service that the parent had to pay minimal charges for.
smacdonald

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 6, 2009

I lived at the "Home" from age 3-6 in 1960 to 1963 with my 2 brothers and 2 sisters. We were all separated from age group and boys from girls. Don't have any bad memories, just missing my parents. I remember standing in line to brush our teeth, to bathe, to eat and to go to the bathroom. Beds were all grouped together in one room. In the morning a nun would come by your bed and put a dress at the end for you to wear that day. You would be wearing someone elses dress too big for you and I remember getting mad because someone had mine on. I remember sled riding down the hill and thinking a witch lived in the house at the bottom of the hill. Also remember pancake suppers, going to church and the priests German Sheperd dog. There were alot of green glass blocks inside used as room dividers. We could only watch show's like Shirley Temple and Don Amechi's Circus. Never anything with guns and Superman wasn't allowed. I quess they were afraid some kid would try to jump off the building thinking he could fly. Went back a few years ago but everything had been remodeled. It didn't look the same inside but the outside looked the same.
Roberta Byrns

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2009

Myself and my 3 other sisters and 1 older brother were placed in the home in 1960 and got out in 1968. My older sisters Lisa and Pam were placed upstairs in Maria Goretti and my younger sister and I were in Little Flower, my brother in Don Bosco. I remember Father Quilligan, and on Sundays getting to go with him for a newspaper. Church everyday, I played violin. My kindergarten teachers name was Sister Engelbert, just a tiny little thing, I had Sister Helen at first on our floor, then Sister Olivia took over. Father Quilligan had a Saint Bernard, and I remember swinging for hours thinking the higher I got then I could get away. I also remember playing lots and lots of tetherball and winning all the time. If Delores Haglaur or Kathy Rios, Lenee & Renee Somers are out there, send me a note, would love to hear from everyone.
Roberta Byrns

Tempe, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 19, 2009

my e-mail is kpreciouspea@cox.net, hope to hear from someone.
Timmy

Gower, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 20, 2009

Ed Colvin wrote:
<quoted text>
DON'T YOU WORK FOR HOMELAND SECURITY?
Paul

Taylorsville, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 22, 2009

I was in the catholic childrens home in alton from 1935 to 1943. The boys would spend most days playing ball when we were outside, we used to hit rocks down the hill with a stick to get better at batting. Some would sneak out and walk downtown for a bit.
pharris

Saint Peters, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 11, 2009

smacdonald wrote:
I lived at the "Home" from age 3-6 in 1960 to 1963 with my 2 brothers and 2 sisters. We were all separated from age group and boys from girls. Don't have any bad memories, just missing my parents. I remember standing in line to brush our teeth, to bathe, to eat and to go to the bathroom. Beds were all grouped together in one room. In the morning a nun would come by your bed and put a dress at the end for you to wear that day. You would be wearing someone elses dress too big for you and I remember getting mad because someone had mine on. I remember sled riding down the hill and thinking a witch lived in the house at the bottom of the hill. Also remember pancake suppers, going to church and the priests German Sheperd dog. There were alot of green glass blocks inside used as room dividers. We could only watch show's like Shirley Temple and Don Amechi's Circus. Never anything with guns and Superman wasn't allowed. I quess they were afraid some kid would try to jump off the building thinking he could fly. Went back a few years ago but everything had been remodeled. It didn't look the same inside but the outside looked the same.
The dogs name was rusty........my brothers lived there along with me from 1959 - 1962 I was 4 when we went in and a very shy little girl but I remember it well

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 10
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Wood River Discussions

Search the Wood River Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
IL Ill. House Approves Legalizing Same-Sex Civil U... (Dec '10) 1 hr obama 49,033
IL Who do you support for U.S. Senate in Illinois ... (Oct '10) 2 hr obama 6,593
IL Illinois Governor Recall Amendment (Oct '10) 16 hr Pay to Play 1,881
IL Who do you support for Secretary of State in Il... (Oct '10) 18 hr Chicagobunny 528
IL Who do you support for Governor in Illinois in ... (Oct '10) Thu Audit 3,853
2 die from overdoses in Madison County Jul 28 Joester 37
msma Jul 27 guest 1
•••
•••
•••
Wood River Dating

more search filters

less search filters

•••

Wood River Jobs

•••