Suburban importer sued over possibly ...

Suburban importer sued over possibly bogus vintage wine -- Auct...

There are 21 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Mar 31, 2008, titled Suburban importer sued over possibly bogus vintage wine -- Auct.... In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

A wealthy Florida industrialist is suing a suburban wine retailer and a Chicago importer for fraud after he says he was sold numerous antique wines that turned out to be counterfeit, including a $100,000 bottle ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
dean

Racine, WI

#1 Mar 31, 2008
I'm sure that whoever has the $500,000 that this fool converted to four dusty bottles, has put it to better use. I would love to be on this jury. How does someone who is fool enough to pay half a mil. for four bottles of wine even get that kind of money?
Cheap-shot

Lake Station, IN

#2 Mar 31, 2008
Another reason to stick to beer. You don't need to age it, sniff it or swirl it. Just chug it and the end results are just the same.
zoxim

South Elgin, IL

#4 Mar 31, 2008
Cheap-shot, some of the beers being made today are over 10% alc. They can be kept for years and do in fact get better with age like some wines. I have a bottle of 11% 1985 Thomas Hardy's Ale
somewhere around here. If I could just remember where I hid it from myself....

Dean, you're just jealous of the "fool". He can't be too dumb since he could buy and sell you 10 times over.
anarky99

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 31, 2008
fraud is fraud, but to have a wealthy individual waste money like this on collecting anything is absurd.
zoxim

South Elgin, IL

#7 Mar 31, 2008
Anarky99, why can't he "waste" (technically it's an investment) his money on anything he wants? Does anybody tell you what you can and can't use your money for? How do you know what else he does with his money?
Rich Uncle Pennybags

Chicago, IL

#8 Mar 31, 2008
anarky99 wrote:
fraud is fraud, but to have a wealthy individual waste money like this on collecting anything is absurd.
It's his money, he can spend it on what he wants. What do you want him to spend it on?
jose

South Bend, IN

#9 Mar 31, 2008
i've been selling old vinegar for years on craigslist at 10 grand a pop as "vintage wine".
Gene Tierney

AOL

#10 Mar 31, 2008
Why would anyone pay $100K for a bottle of wine? Dumb guy.
rogers park

United States

#11 Mar 31, 2008
hillary clinton wine selling now for 3 bucks
evergreen park

Alsip, IL

#12 Mar 31, 2008
I don't understand how someone would want to buy a bottle of wine they wouldn't drink. I guess if you have the $$ to spend....
grrrrr

Lake In The Hills, IL

#13 Mar 31, 2008
Gene Tierney wrote:
Why would anyone pay $100K for a bottle of wine? Dumb guy.
Because they can.
grrrrr

Lake In The Hills, IL

#14 Mar 31, 2008
rogers park wrote:
hillary clinton wine selling now for 3 bucks
Thats 3 bucks too much
GJW

Orland Park, IL

#16 Mar 31, 2008
Zoxium, you are the one who needs things explained to you. I think everyone here understands how antiques work. And yes, anyone can spend their money anyway they want, even if it is spent recklessly. You imply the guy buying the wine is the smart one. I beg to differ as he was ripped off to the tune of 100k because he did not investigate his "investment" beforehand. Just because you have lots of money and can spend it on things you do not really need, does not make it "smart". Your comment of him being able to "buy and sell you 10 times over", shows what a shallow person your really are. I pity you.
zoxim

South Elgin, IL

#17 Mar 31, 2008
GJW, look up the guy's bio and you'll see he's given millions to charity besides being a collector. He's a successful businessman. Anyone can be ripped off by unscrupulous people. That's why he's suing. My guess is he'll win and get his money back. You're wrong, of course about everyone here understanding how antiques work, as Gene said, "Why would anyone pay $100K for a bottle of wine? Dumb guy". But that's ok since reading comprehension doesn't seem to be your forte. I wonder what is? Maybe watching reruns on TV?
You and the other no-nothings here appear to just be jealous of the guy's success. I don't exactly pity you. It's more like mirthful contempt. ;)

And the name is Zoxim, GJW. Try to get it right next time.
ejhickey

Chicago, IL

#18 Mar 31, 2008
This case is already sending RIPPLES through the fine wine market.
John Adams

Chicago, IL

#20 Mar 31, 2008
zoxim wrote:
See, here's the thing Gene,(and all others who aren't able to figure stuff out cause it's hard)...
When some things get old they become more valuable. Then they're called antiques. And when you buy them and keep them for awhile they become even more valuable. After awhile they become so valuable they wind up in museums sometimes. See how that works?
In this case the guy bought a bottle of wine that was supposedly owned by Thomas Jefferson. For those that don't know he was our 2nd president. He wrote our constitution. You should read it sometime. It mentions the right to life, liberty etc etc. Included in that is the right to do what you want with your money. Now can you possibly see why something owned by him might be valuable? No? Then you are the one who's dumb.
I like when people call other people dumb. Thomas Jefferson was the third President, not the second. Good effort though. The Constitution which Mr. Jefferson crafted just rolled over in its parchment paper because of you.
HP Guy

South Bend, IN

#21 Mar 31, 2008
zoxim wrote:
In this case the guy bought a bottle of wine that was supposedly owned by Thomas Jefferson. For those that don't know he was our 2nd president. He wrote our constitution. You should read it sometime.
Actually Zoxim he was the THIRD president and he wrote the DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE.
Gene Tierney

AOL

#22 Mar 31, 2008
zoxim wrote:
See, here's the thing Gene,(and all others who aren't able to figure stuff out cause it's hard)...
When some things get old they become more valuable. Then they're called antiques. And when you buy them and keep them for awhile they become even more valuable. After awhile they become so valuable they wind up in museums sometimes. See how that works?
In this case the guy bought a bottle of wine that was supposedly owned by Thomas Jefferson. For those that don't know he was our 2nd president. He wrote our constitution. You should read it sometime. It mentions the right to life, liberty etc etc. Included in that is the right to do what you want with your money. Now can you possibly see why something owned by him might be valuable? No? Then you are the one who's dumb.
Zoxim,

You are the one who is dumb. I posed a rhetorical question.

And, by the way, I collect antiques from the Victorian and Edwardian eras.

Lose the superiority complex. it isn't becoming at all.
strut2k

Carol Stream, IL

#23 Apr 1, 2008
See why it's so important that George W Bush's tax cuts for the rich become permanent...

Since: Nov 07

NW Chicago Suburban Area

#24 Apr 1, 2008
strut2k wrote:
See why it's so important that George W Bush's tax cuts for the rich become permanent...
Another jealous person.....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wood Dale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 6 min THE DEVIL 1,265,103
amy 8-4 1 hr mrs gladys kravitz 5
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 1 hr Jacques Ottawa 194,825
abby8-4-15 3 hr mrs gladys kravitz 12
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 3 hr Sublime1 100,326
CDXC Johnson George Opens New Chicago Area Center 4 hr mike blaine 4
News Ukraine's new US-born finance chief enduring ba... Mar '15 Cassandra_ 2
More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wood Dale Mortgages