Man hit by Amtrak train, killed

Man hit by Amtrak train, killed

There are 107 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Sep 13, 2008, titled Man hit by Amtrak train, killed. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

One person is dead after being hit by an Amtrak train Saturday morning on the city's far Northwest Side.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

First Prev
of 6
Next Last
Elitist

Mount Dora, FL

#4 Sep 13, 2008
jim donahue wrote:
and now this jerks family is going to sue metra for gazillions because they can find a lawyer. He should be sued for lost time of fellow travelers, down time of the train, and for being an ****. Do not tell me he could not see or hear the signals, if the family sues, they should be publicly humilated as far as the law permits.
Hard to sue if you decided on your own accord to commit suicide!
Dave

Chicago, IL

#5 Sep 13, 2008
I'm surprised an Amtrak train was actually going fast enough to kill someone.
Alan

Crystal Lake, IL

#6 Sep 13, 2008
maybe the guy thought the train was going to serve out of his way.
r m kraus

Akron, OH

#8 Sep 13, 2008
What is it about Edgebrook? In June a lady was killed there by a train. It was said that she may have deliberately walked into the train. The newspaper article about the more recent event said nothing about suicide; but almost all of the bloggers assume that it was. Why are some people like that?
RalphJ

Chicago, IL

#10 Sep 13, 2008
It sad that these poor fools have to stand in front of a train in order to end their lives. There's a million ways you could kill yourself, but they have to affect others (including the engineer).
Former Chicagoan

Phoenix, AZ

#11 Sep 13, 2008
When I lived in a Chicago southwest suburb, I rode the Metra not Amtrak train, on the way back from downtown the engineer had said we hit somebody and the train stopped. I was an EMT at the time for Illinois and they asked anyone who was a doctor, nurse, etc. I went out, there this poor girl was deaf and severely retarded, but I helped her from underneath the train until paramedics came to immobilize c-spine and put pressure on her wounds. Its really sad, but this happens more than you think. Anyway, hope to this day hope the girl is fine!!!
David

Chicago, IL

#12 Sep 13, 2008
I was at the crossing gates at this Metra stop and saw the entire event unfold. The guy (probably in his twenties) was running along the platform on the other side of the tracks. It was apparent to me he was attempting to beat the train to a crosswalk that interupts a fence that is between the two lanes of track. A Metra train is scheduled to stop at the Edgebrook stop at 7:50 AM, and he obviously thought this was the local train (I looked at my watch as I stood at the crossing gates because I had intended on taking this Metra train into the city if it arrived before the 85A Central CTA bus that stops across the street from the train stop--I saw it was 7:40AM). I had actually contemplated crossing the tracks myself while the train was still more than a quarter of a mile from the station (the crossing gates are an additional fifty to seventy feet beyond the crosswalk), but I could tell that the train was traveling much too fast for it to be the local, and besides, when does a train arrive ten minutes earlier than the scheduled time, especially in rainy weather? The guy entered the crosswalk with the train probably less than one hundred feet from the crosswalk. Had he been three feet faster, he would have made it--for a train that was not the one he wanted. As far as I can tell, the train engineer followed the standard operating procedure--sounding the horn, etc. The guy simply made an idiotic decision (possibly he has beaten trains in the past), and it cost him his life. Never try to beat the train. Even if you win today, there is no guarantee that you will the next time.
John Elert

Chicago, IL

#13 Sep 13, 2008
Let's put some common sense into these almost weekly incidents.

First responders should be equipped with a can of spray paint and a cell phone with a camera.

Spray paint the point of impact, location of the pieces of the deceased and take a couple photos. All the measuring and charting can be done later.

Take the name of the train engineer and their phone number. Ask them if they feel well enough to continue their run or needs a replacement engineer [obviously it is traumatic to run over someone with your train].

Then, get the train on its way and don't delay any further trains any more than is necessary.

Listen, I have a heart, and the deceased either made a tragic error, or achieved their selfish intended goal.

Selfish, because jumping in front of a train in a suicide is the ultimate selfish act. You delay hundreds or more commuters and travelers, and absolutely devastate the poor engineer.

If you are suicidal, please, get help. But if you are so despondent that you don't want help, do it one of the hundreds of other ways. I know this sounds harsh. But death by train is becoming a weekly occurrence in the Chicago metro area, and likely other areas too.

Other than cleaning off some nasty matter from the train and ensuring that the poor engineer is mentally sound to continue their run, there isn't anything that absolutely needs to be done before the train continues on its way.

God forbid the incident is someone purposely thrust in front of a train at the hands of some other demented person, if that is the case, surveillance cameras or other witnesses can be reviewed and interviewed after the train continues, and without imposing on hundreds or thousands of innocent others.

Let's start acting with some sanity to alleviate the disruption from the insanity that is all too frequent on our rail lines.
jimboster

Chicago, IL

#14 Sep 14, 2008
Man hit by Amtrak train, killed.

That's a horrible headline. It makes it sound like he was killed as a punishment for being hit by the train.
Agnes Blumgarten

Rockford, IL

#15 Sep 14, 2008
Elitist wrote:
<quoted text>
Hard to sue if you decided on your own accord to commit suicide!
On the accord of who else can you decide to commit suicide?
Friend

Blue Island, IL

#18 Sep 14, 2008
David wrote:
I was at the crossing gates at this Metra stop and saw the entire event unfold. The guy (probably in his twenties) was running along the platform on the other side of the tracks. It was apparent to me he was attempting to beat the train to a crosswalk that interupts a fence that is between the two lanes of track. A Metra train is scheduled to stop at the Edgebrook stop at 7:50 AM, and he obviously thought this was the local train (I looked at my watch as I stood at the crossing gates because I had intended on taking this Metra train into the city if it arrived before the 85A Central CTA bus that stops across the street from the train stop--I saw it was 7:40AM). I had actually contemplated crossing the tracks myself while the train was still more than a quarter of a mile from the station (the crossing gates are an additional fifty to seventy feet beyond the crosswalk), but I could tell that the train was traveling much too fast for it to be the local, and besides, when does a train arrive ten minutes earlier than the scheduled time, especially in rainy weather? The guy entered the crosswalk with the train probably less than one hundred feet from the crosswalk. Had he been three feet faster, he would have made it--for a train that was not the one he wanted. As far as I can tell, the train engineer followed the standard operating procedure--sounding the horn, etc. The guy simply made an idiotic decision (possibly he has beaten trains in the past), and it cost him his life. Never try to beat the train. Even if you win today, there is no guarantee that you will the next time.
Thank you your account-- he was a great friend and he will be missed. As for the rest of the other comments, he was anything but suicidal. He had a great life ahead of him, has a fantastic family and was incredibly loved by all his friends. Please direct any other frustrations into prayers for him and his family.
Friend and Classmate

Boston, MA

#19 Sep 14, 2008
It is ridiculous that any of you would even dare to make comments like this. He was the sweetest kid ever. He had just graduated from High School and had his whole life ahead of him. As the person above said, he was not suicidal at all. He just made a dumb mistake and it's a shame that his life had to end so early.
I really can't believe that ignorant people like you exist in this world.
Friend of Hiro

Chicago, IL

#20 Sep 14, 2008
jim donahue wrote:
and now this jerks family is going to sue metra for gazillions because they can find a lawyer. He should be sued for lost time of fellow travelers, down time of the train, and for being an ****. Do not tell me he could not see or hear the signals, if the family sues, they should be publicly humilated as far as the law permits.
How DARE you even think this way. You have no idea what kind of pain his family, his girlfriend, and his friends including me are feeling. How can you say such insensitive things. You obviously have no one in your life that you care for or care for you. If you did, you would know that this is a traumatic time for everyone that has known Hiro. He did NOT commit suicide. He did NOT intentionally stand in front of that train. He definitely can NOT be sued seeing as how he has passed away which is why we should be mourning here and NOT be criticizing and making false judgments. Although this pain of lose is excruciating, I hope you one day feel how we feel and you are ridiculed as you did to him and his family here today.
KNT FRIEND-SISTER

Woodridge, IL

#22 Sep 14, 2008
jim donahue wrote:
and now this jerks family is going to sue metra for gazillions because they can find a lawyer. He should be sued for lost time of fellow travelers, down time of the train, and for being an asshole. Do not tell me he could not see or hear the signals, if the family sues, they should be publicly humilated as far as the law permits.
Jim, you have no heart or a sane mind to state what you just did. I am this "man"'s family friend, practically his older sister and that is not the first thing in their mind.
My brother was NOT suicidal, he might've made a tragic mistake, but this just happened all too recently and amidst all of our loss people like you are making heartless comments and slapping down assumptions just because of this generic article. you have no idea how it feels like to lose someone close do you? it was raining very hard on saturday morning and he was in a rush..i'm sorry.
i wish you would take one second to think about what you are saying before you type it out and cick post. it's too easy in this electronic age, but i know for a fact that you'd never say something as selfish as your comment to his family or my face. and if you can, well, i feel sorry for you. you are rather unfortunate.
rip HJ 9.13.08. i love you so much.
friend of hiro j

Chicago, IL

#23 Sep 14, 2008
jim donahue wrote:
and now this jerks family is going to sue metra for gazillions because they can find a lawyer. He should be sued for lost time of fellow travelers, down time of the train, and for being an ****. Do not tell me he could not see or hear the signals, if the family sues, they should be publicly humilated as far as the law permits.
YOU JERK. How dare you say that. Of all things, you are one IGNORANT FOOL. You should be ashamed of allowing yourself to even say something like that. Hiro was a good man, and he grew up in a strong family. For you to attempt to dishonor him and trash his family name is TERRIBLE. Be ashamed you jerk ass. His family would never do something like this. I hope you get hit by a train.
friend

Chicago, IL

#24 Sep 14, 2008
dear jim donahue

You're pretty much the biggest jerk for even saying something that insensitive. A guy with a whole life ahead of him died, and all you care about is people being late? or suing metra? you're such an ignorant and hateful person, and one day you'll realize your hurtful ways won't win you any love. You can only wish you could influence this many people as he had done. His family and friends, and especially HIM deserve alot better. Yes, he made a mistake, but he was a good guy, and wasn't an idiot. You must be some lonely sick man to think this.
Sincerely,
friend
high school friend

San Jose, CA

#25 Sep 14, 2008
jim donahue wrote:
and now this jerks family is going to sue metra for gazillions because they can find a lawyer. He should be sued for lost time of fellow travelers, down time of the train, and for being an ****. Do not tell me he could not see or hear the signals, if the family sues, they should be publicly humilated as far as the law permits.
You have GOT to be kidding me. Where do you get off making assertions like this about someone's death? Hiro was an amazing person and would never do something like this on purpose. I'm sorry you didn't get to work on time, Jim, but you should really watch your mouth on sensitive issues like this one. How can you even bring up money when his family, friends, and girlfriend of two years, are grieving? God bless Hiro.
northsider

Chicago, IL

#29 Sep 14, 2008
jane franco
you're wrong
you know nothing
nothing about hiro or about our school
Knew the guy

Edwardsburg, MI

#30 Sep 14, 2008
You should be ashamed of yourselves- those of you calling this kid suicidal and/ or an asshole. He's dead and that's all you can say? Accidents happen. I knew the victim personally and he was a good kid. Only 18 years old. Have a little humility.

RIP Hiro, you'll be missed.
Friend of friends

Chicago, IL

#31 Sep 14, 2008
Jane Franco wrote:
<quoted text>
He went to Northside College Prep last year apparently, and that school has the highest suicide rate in its home state.(Illinois, I believe)
Could be the reason for the assumption.
Northside does not have the highest suicidal rate in Illinois. I am a student there and I know nearly everyone in the school. We are number one in the state and pretty high up in the country but we are not a suicidal bunch. I may not have known Hiro personally but I knew of him. He was awesome. He lived a great life and had no reason whatsoever to commit suicide. Even if our school has the highest suicidal rate, why would Hiro try to commit suicide AFTER he graduated?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 6
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wood Dale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 2 min Jacques Ottawa 1,658,112
Media also involved in Trumps Proposal 1 hr Phony 1
Tax reform for the rich is one big Gamble 1 hr Billionaire Swamper 1
Trump is A 1 hr Phony friend 177
Topix Chitown Regulars (Aug '09) 2 hr Crunchy Bacon 105,374
last post wins! (Apr '13) 3 hr honeymylove 2,678
Last word + 2 (Mar '12) 3 hr honeymylove 1,015

Wood Dale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wood Dale Mortgages