Swine flu: Some schools close; kids g...

Swine flu: Some schools close; kids get to kick back

There are 17 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from May 1, 2009, titled Swine flu: Some schools close; kids get to kick back. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

On a day when Johnny Swek would normally have been taking a spelling test, the 1st-grader was kicking back in the library, playing computer games and flipping through picture books.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

ecg

Waukegan, IL

#1 May 1, 2009
The headline mentions 18 schools closed due to Swine flu...well...what schools are they? Where are they located?

I would have thought an article with that headline would actually include that vital info...I guess that I learned wrong from my journalism classes in high school and college.
We were one

Elmhurst, IL

#2 May 1, 2009
Ridge Circle in Streamwood is one of those. My 1st grader is happy as a clam with a week off. Mom and Dad on the other hand have to take a few vacation days and invite unemployed relatives to come stay for the other days.

I'm glad it's not as bad as feared but I'm praying when it comes back around for its second wave it doesn't get more powerful. I'm sure all the precautions are so it can be slowed down while they study it.
mary

Elgin, IL

#3 May 2, 2009
Oh come on. I don't want to hear about irresponsible parent's shopping excurrsions and errand running. Who cares?!

I want facts about the spooky flu. I want to know exactly which towns have people that are infected, not just obscure references to counties.

Tribune do your job!
NotMuchNewHere

United States

#4 May 2, 2009
Where is the list of 18 closed schools? Wasn't that the focus of the article??????
maNewHere

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

#5 May 2, 2009
That's the ones,although you wouldn't recognize them the last court appearance,the old man was with a walker,and crying over his wonderful pets,which by the way he sells when they reach that age.They need to be in Hollywood.The health dept.made them move 50' from the creek,but that put them 50' from my bedroom window.You can't believe the smell and noise all hours of the night,3,4,1,2,it doesn't matter,they bark and wake you up.Nuf said,I think you the picture.I hope someone with the right authority reads this.They have been fined and gone to court,not by me but by the county.they don't think laws apply to them.

&fe ature=related
mbmom

Lemont, IL

#6 May 2, 2009
NotMuchNewHere wrote:
Where is the list of 18 closed schools? Wasn't that the focus of the article??????
Five of the 18 schools are in Homer Glen, District 33C. They are: Homer Jr. High, Hadley Middle School, Butler School, Schilling School, and Goodings Grove School.
mbmom

Lemont, IL

#7 May 2, 2009
**Unless they are considering Homer 33C as one school.
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#8 May 2, 2009
ecg wrote:
The headline mentions 18 schools closed due to Swine flu...well...what schools are they? Where are they located?
I would have thought an article with that headline would actually include that vital info...I guess that I learned wrong from my journalism classes in high school and college.
There are listings in other parts of the paper. Your classes did not teach you common sense. It was not not vital to this story.
another viewpoint

Chicago, IL

#9 May 2, 2009
I also am disappointed in the quality of the reporting. Even I know more about writing a newspaper article that informs better than what we are getting. Where is a list of the schools? How long will they be closed? Have any of them reopened? When will they reopen?

I find that the articles at the SunTimes are more informative than what the Trib is now putting out.
Disgusted

Calumet City, IL

#10 May 2, 2009
mary wrote:
Oh come on. I don't want to hear about irresponsible parent's shopping excurrsions and errand running. Who cares?!
I want facts about the spooky flu. I want to know exactly which towns have people that are infected, not just obscure references to counties.
Tribune do your job!
There are many stories about it all over the paper. Does every single story have to say the exact same thing? I love those people who come on these threads just to show how smart they think they would be at running a newspaper, while having no clue. Why didn't they go into the newspaper business, if they are so damned smart?
brian

Chicago, IL

#11 May 2, 2009
how about printing a list of the closed schools?
mrsliberal

Skokie, IL

#12 May 2, 2009
With all the garbage and repetition and old stories they have been posting on
the computer version, they could list the schools again. It may be overkill in the good old days but or late the lists will do me better than stories about Obama needing lists of Muslims to add to his staff.
WendyTestaburger

United States

#13 May 2, 2009
Disgusted wrote:
<quoted text>
There are listings in other parts of the paper. Your classes did not teach you common sense. It was not not vital to this story.
It it was not a vital part of the story the Tribune should have written a better headline. I agree with many of the posters the headline is misleading.
Freedom Lover

Chicago, IL

#14 May 2, 2009
We are all so stupid,scared and stupid, did I say stupid. They have us where they want us. This is nothing but hype. Runny nose, devert a plane, 100 flu cases, close a country. 1 kid might be sick, close a school. Biden, can you belive people voted for that moron. I once again will be hiding in my closet, it's way to stupid out.
Bruce

Wheaton, IL

#16 May 2, 2009
All we need is a link to the list; they don't have to print the whole thing.. a link, just a link.
super annoyed

United States

#17 May 2, 2009
this is insane. do they close down schools when strep throat is going around? or how bout they start closing them for the common cold? germs are everywhere and this is just the flu! what about 'cold and flu season?' i guess all schools should close during that time, too, then, so no one spreads the flu. that's all this is, people!!!! what is the government trying to distract us from? this hype is just so annoying and ridiculous and i can't believe how many people are falling for it.

Since: May 08

Lockport, IL

#18 May 9, 2009
at least he was kickin back looking at books, lol. at the library

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Wood Dale Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Barack Obama, our next President (Nov '08) 5 min Joy 1,619,011
last post wins! (Dec '10) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 3,205
last post wins! (Apr '13) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 2,639
{keep A word drop A word} (Oct '11) 1 hr They cannot kill ... 11,431
News BARACK OBAMA BIRTH CERTIFICATE: Suit contesting... (Jan '09) 3 hr Benjamin Ghazi 242,778
NFL & George Soros in bed. 3 hr deadpool 12
News Apple's new flagship store an understated gem o... 3 hr peace thomas 1

Wood Dale Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Wood Dale Mortgages