School Closed By Swine Flu Plans For ...

School Closed By Swine Flu Plans For Reopening

There are 20 comments on the WFMZ story from May 20, 2009, titled School Closed By Swine Flu Plans For Reopening. In it, WFMZ reports that:

The Conrad Weiser School District in Berks County is planning for the reopening of its West elementary school in Womelsdorf Thursday morning.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WFMZ.

an observer

Jersey City, NJ

#1 May 20, 2009
This is very interesting logic... Let's close the school when there is ONE case, but now that there are 10 (probably 16 soon) let's reopen? Really? I know they are now at different schools, but this doesn't make sense to me, from a logical perspective. If anyone can clear this up for me (logically, not emotionally- and also taking their word that they have the students' best interests in mind)?
Larry from Bethlehem

Allentown, PA

#2 May 21, 2009
It's a pendemic, run for he hills LOL

“Its just my job 5 days a week"”

Since: Feb 09

Im a Rocket Man!"

#3 May 21, 2009
an observer wrote:
This is very interesting logic... Let's close the school when there is ONE case, but now that there are 10 (probably 16 soon) let's reopen? Really? I know they are now at different schools, but this doesn't make sense to me, from a logical perspective. If anyone can clear this up for me (logically, not emotionally- and also taking their word that they have the students' best interests in mind)?
The building was decontaminated during that time.It would have been much worse had the germs been spread.
HUH

Macungie, PA

#4 May 21, 2009
Let the kids finish school for christ sake. PARENTS NEED TO KEEP KIDS HOME THAT ARE SICK. IT'S THAT SIMPLE..If the parents can't afford to stay home with their child, maybe they should have thought about that before having kids. Everyone wants kids but not everyone can afford them. If both households have to work to support the kind of life they are living, that's sad. Don't go blaming the economy and everyone else. The economy never told you to have kids you couldn't afford or live some place that is beyond your means. Is this really that hard to figure out???
Hacksaw wrote:
<quoted text>The building was decontaminated during that time.It would have been much worse had the germs been spread.
HUH

Macungie, PA

#5 May 21, 2009
Sorry. If both parents not households.

And if you are a single parent, don't whine about it. No one told you to have kids. People should have to be married for 10 years before they are allowed to have kids. If you are a parent who feels bad about being a single parent, you should! So many kids are messed up because of choices that the parents make and the parents are to blame.
mandy

York, PA

#6 May 21, 2009
I DO NOT AGREE WITH MAKING THESE CHILDREN GO FIVE DAYS AT THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. IT'S NOT FAIR TO THOSE WHO HAVE ALREADY PLANNED A FAMILY VACATION. AND ALSO, IT IS NOT AT ALL OF THE CHILDREN'S FAULTS THAT HAD TO STAY HOME BECAUSE OF THIS. THE SCHOOL SHOULD CLOSE THE SAME DAY AS THE REST OF THE DISTRICT.
CWParentof4

Eatontown, NJ

#7 May 21, 2009
I for one am a single parent, and I love every decision I make for my children. I did not CHOOSE to be a single parent, however since the father of my children passed on. So please do not lump everyone in some category. Things happen.

CW West should be closed the same day as every other school. Not only did they lose field day which is a complete day of fun, but they also lost field trips. And now some parents are scrambling to rearrange vacations, and being available for their children. I don't think that is right. The kids that were not sick get to suffer and lose 2 fun days, for 5 added days of WHAT? Honestly, how much is going to be added the last few days of school?

Max Pain

“Why so SERIOUS? ”

Since: Jan 09

It's hard core up in da woods

#8 May 21, 2009
CWParentof4 wrote:
I for one am a single parent, and I love every decision I make for my children. I did not CHOOSE to be a single parent, however since the father of my children passed on. So please do not lump everyone in some category. Things happen.
CW West should be closed the same day as every other school. Not only did they lose field day which is a complete day of fun, but they also lost field trips. And now some parents are scrambling to rearrange vacations, and being available for their children. I don't think that is right. The kids that were not sick get to suffer and lose 2 fun days, for 5 added days of WHAT? Honestly, how much is going to be added the last few days of school?
Call your kids in sick at the end of the year.....ironic ploy I believe?
Austin Thompson

Roxbury, PA

#9 May 21, 2009
Thats my dad!
getting concerned

Hartford, CT

#10 May 21, 2009
Were can I found out specifically in what areas/towns/cities of Berks are these additional cases?
an observer

Jersey City, NJ

#11 May 21, 2009
Attendance and funding are tied together somehow, hence the make up days that seem rather superfluous in nature. That has to be it. Of course that doesn't make it right, and maybe makes it wrong, but I have to imagine that somehow, money is involved.

I don't know the specifics, but as a teacher in a public school, I DO KNOW that they really are connected. That's why our seniors have to go longer than they used to...we used to just swallow the loss, but don't anymore.
Christina Reading Pa

Riegelsville, PA

#12 May 21, 2009
why make the kids make up for days they missed? it's not their fault they were sick.
Mom of a 3rd grader

Roxbury, PA

#13 May 21, 2009
We are not running for the hills,but my child did not go to school today and will not tomorrow. Because of other parents sending their children back to school to soon or sick. Note the fact 8 were sent home with flu like issues today. My father lives with us he is 81 years old. I will not risk his or our health. She is an A student and only missed 1 other day of school. The people I love come first.
CWParentof4

Eatontown, NJ

#14 May 21, 2009
I know a lot of parents not sending their kids back and look 60 kids were at the nurse, 10 percent of 460 were out, 60 kids sent to the nurse, another 8 kids sent home, PARENTS GET WITH IT YOUR KIDS SICK KEEP THEM HOME! My kids didn't go today as well, and I talked to the school nurse about it as well.
LHS Mom

Bethlehem, PA

#15 May 21, 2009
If you do keep your kids home from school, then the school demands a doctor's excuse or other proof that they really were sick. My word as a parent isn't good enough. Then they have twice as much homework to make up-- my kid doesn't want to stay home sick because it's too much of a hassle.
kcannon

Allentown, PA

#16 May 21, 2009
Is it possible that the habits of manurizing fields in Berks County along with their lack of proper sewage treatment are causing the increase in these cases? If so, how about checking in with Lancaster County next?
CWParentof4

Eatontown, NJ

#17 May 21, 2009
kcannon wrote:
Is it possible that the habits of manurizing fields in Berks County along with their lack of proper sewage treatment are causing the increase in these cases? If so, how about checking in with Lancaster County next?
Just a question but what could that do with the swine flu? I mean in philadelphia ... and other places that aren't all farm land.. just asking... i think i am confused is all
Rose Sperrazza

United States

#18 May 22, 2009
My Children are in Conrad school East and I am appalled that the school remains open even after they found about some more cases in the east school??
This is very scary and the school should close up and not worry about the summer vacations,
I hope to God that they take this more seriously
Have some compassion

Freeland, PA

#19 May 22, 2009
HUH wrote:
Sorry. If both parents not households.
And if you are a single parent, don't whine about it. No one told you to have kids. People should have to be married for 10 years before they are allowed to have kids. If you are a parent who feels bad about being a single parent, you should! So many kids are messed up because of choices that the parents make and the parents are to blame.
You sound very bitter. Some people are single parents not by their own choice. I know alot of single moms that were deserted by their husbands. We need men to be strong leaders in the home and we need men to love their wives as they love themselves and women need to respect their husbands. Women will automatically have respect for their husbands if they feel loved. Children are a gift from God and I know alot of people that had children early in their marriage and they are awesome parents. Sorry to say, I disagree with you. Do not judge a book by its cover. You never know someones situation unless you've walked a mile or two in their shoes. Have a nice day.
What a wonderful world

Macungie, PA

#20 May 26, 2009
Here's an idea. Things happen to force schools to be open longer than expected. Snow days, emergencies, etc etc so why not plan vacations accordingly and don't plan anything for at least two weeks after school is supposed to be over. Whatever happened to common sense??

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Womelsdorf Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hillary is a RACIST, history proves it if you b... Sun ClintonRacism 2
Hillary Clinton for President Aug 26 Batch 37 Pain Is ... 5
Loan Shark with specifics needed (Jul '15) Aug 24 Stanford doc 13
Loanshark or street loan needed in or around Ph... (Apr '13) Aug 24 spotcred 91
News Michelle Grossman - About NBC 10 News Story - W... (Mar '08) Aug 23 Jim Mac 787
(.R ox y Bulk!!) ku*sh !! Aug 23 Reliable philly 1
Chris Powell Managing Editor of the JI investig... Aug 22 Hillary lies 2

Womelsdorf Jobs

More from around the web

Personal Finance

Womelsdorf Mortgages